Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3313 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Joss Whedon's Advice On Justice League Movie

• 167 results
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Erik said:

Finally, someone else that appreciates the art of the film.

:) 
    Regardless of people saying how he "destroyed" or "butchered" the X-Men franchise or the Superman film, Bryan Singer is a quality director, most of the Marvel studios just throw together movies to appease the fans most of the time, Singer took the material and put his own spin on some aspects...in which case a lot of the ideas made more sense than the actual comics did...no different in Superman Returns
    cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#102  Edited By cosmo111687

@tim2081 said:

@cosmo111687 said:

@tim2081: "Punisher, Hawkeye, and Nick Fury are on about the same level as Rambo, John McClane, and James Bond; there's nothing super about any of them."

Deadshot, Green Arrow, and Amanda Waller.

And, with Punisher being an exception (since he's very far removed from the rest of the Marvel universe and is meant to be more realistic), there is something super-human about those characters. Captaining a helicarrier and having one's youth extended is super-human. Having the accuracy to shoot an arrow from a helicopter that blows up that helicarrier is super-human.

You can't have Punisher as an exception just because he doesn't play a major role in every event. He is still one of Marvel's most popular characters, having 2 movies and a good video game within the last decade. As I said before, "DC may have many "down to Earth" characters, but they're not as popular as Marvel's, and they're not the most popular in DC." Deadshot and Amanda Waller are almost obscure. Green Arrow is getting a TV show, so his stock may rise. But I could go out right now and buy merchandise for Punisher, Hawkeye, Fury, and Widow (and I expect to see some Halloween costumes of them). Also, this topic is about a Justice League movie, and in reference to that, Deadshot, Arrow, and Waller will be non-existent in that. But Marvel's weak heroes can be a part of their biggest movie.

Before the Avengers movie franchise (Avengers, Captain America, Thor, etc.) nobody outside of the comic book community would have known who Black Widow, Hawkeye, or Loki were and a few might have heard of Thor and Nick Fury. That's not because they're relatable or non-relatable, or because they're super powered or not super powered. It's because movies are more popular than comic books. So it stands to reason that whoever you put into Justice League movie will become more popular just for being in the Justice League movie. So it doesn't make sense to dismiss characters because of their relative obscurity. Heck, I bet more people know who Darwin is than Psylocke at this point just because of X-Men: First Class and now Lucious Foxx is considered a significant part of Batman's mythos to non comic-book readers even though he's pretty irrelevant in the comic books.

Also, you don't know if Deadshot, Green Arrow, and Waller will be absent in the JLA movie. At least in Green Arrow and Amanda Waller's case, it would be totally appropriate for them to make an appearance since Green Arrow is a member of the league and Amanda Waller and her organization, CADMUS, play a significant enough role in the DC Universe to be part of the Justice League movie (and if Secret Six is mentioned, maybe there'll be a Deadshot cameo...who knows?) But the script hasn't even been written yet, and it's too soon to say who will and who won't be in the film.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#103  Edited By Erik

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Erik said:

You basically just stabbed a puppy as far as I am concerned.

It will be tasty roasting over a fire with the right sauces and spices.

Puppy stabber!

@cattlebattle said:

@Erik said:

:) Regardless of people saying how he "destroyed" or "butchered" the X-Men franchise or the Superman film, Bryan Singer is a quality director, most of the Marvel studios just throw together movies to appease the fans most of the time, Singer took the material and put his own spin on some aspects...in which case a lot of the ideas made more sense than the actual comics did...no different in Superman Returns

Completely agreed. I actually really like Singer's work in most of his films.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@Erik said:

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Erik said:

It will be tasty roasting over a fire with the right sauces and spices.

Puppy stabber!

And proud of it. Superman returns was still terrible.

MasterofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By MasterofChaos

Okay, so where can I learn more about this? Any official?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@MasterofChaos said:

Okay, so where can I learn more abotu this? Any official?

A few of the movie rumor websites and magazines are filtering details but nothing officially accessible has been made.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By InnerVenom123

Saying that all DC characters are overpowered and that all Marvel characters have everyman problems is incredibly retarded.

At the same time, it's easily the biggest misconception in comics, period.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#108  Edited By Gambit1024

We're still fighting over this?

<.< >.>

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By tim2081

@cosmo111687 said:

@tim2081 said:

@cosmo111687 said:

@tim2081: "Punisher, Hawkeye, and Nick Fury are on about the same level as Rambo, John McClane, and James Bond; there's nothing super about any of them."

Deadshot, Green Arrow, and Amanda Waller.

And, with Punisher being an exception (since he's very far removed from the rest of the Marvel universe and is meant to be more realistic), there is something super-human about those characters. Captaining a helicarrier and having one's youth extended is super-human. Having the accuracy to shoot an arrow from a helicopter that blows up that helicarrier is super-human.

You can't have Punisher as an exception just because he doesn't play a major role in every event. He is still one of Marvel's most popular characters, having 2 movies and a good video game within the last decade. As I said before, "DC may have many "down to Earth" characters, but they're not as popular as Marvel's, and they're not the most popular in DC." Deadshot and Amanda Waller are almost obscure. Green Arrow is getting a TV show, so his stock may rise. But I could go out right now and buy merchandise for Punisher, Hawkeye, Fury, and Widow (and I expect to see some Halloween costumes of them). Also, this topic is about a Justice League movie, and in reference to that, Deadshot, Arrow, and Waller will be non-existent in that. But Marvel's weak heroes can be a part of their biggest movie.

Before the Avengers movie franchise (Avengers, Captain America, Thor, etc.) nobody outside of the comic book community would have known who Black Widow, Hawkeye, or Loki were and a few might have heard of Thor and Nick Fury. That's not because they're relatable or non-relatable, or because they're super powered or not super powered. It's because movies are more popular than comic books. So it stands to reason that whoever you put into Justice League movie will become more popular just for being in the Justice League movie. So it doesn't make sense to dismiss characters because of their relative obscurity. Heck, I bet more people know who Darwin is than Psylocke at this point just because of X-Men: First Class and now Lucious Foxx is considered a significant part of Batman's mythos to non comic-book readers even though he's pretty irrelevant in the comic books.

Also, you don't know if Deadshot, Green Arrow, and Waller will be absent in the JLA movie. At least in Green Arrow and Amanda Waller's case, it would be totally appropriate for them to make an appearance since Green Arrow is a member of the league and Amanda Waller and her organization, CADMUS, play a significant enough role in the DC Universe to be part of the Justice League movie (and if Secret Six is mentioned, maybe there'll be a Deadshot cameo...who knows?) But the script hasn't even been written yet, and it's too soon to say who will and who won't be in the film.

For the JL movie, if they want to use their popular characters, it will have to be at least Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash. So far that's 3 cosmic level, 1 high-powered, and 1 powerless (although unreasonably skilled). Where do you see lesser powered heroes fitting in? Especially lesser powered D-list characters. Black Widow and Hawkeye are B-list within Marvel.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By cosmo111687

@tim2081: I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand what you're saying. Avengers has Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Nick Fury. So that's 1 God, 1 God-like Monster, 1 Man in a Super-Powered Suit, 1 Man with Super Soldier Serum, 1 Unpowered but Unreasonably Skilled Assassin, 1 Unpowered but Unreasonably Skilled Archer, and 1 Man who commands S. H. I. E. L. D. from his helicarrier. At what point do these characters start being average or normal? They're, to use Stan Lee's words, Invincible, Incredible, and Earth's Mightiest Super Heroes! But that doesn't keep us from relating to them because, like all characters including Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, they have characteristics which we can see in ourselves (though, probably because of my DC bias, I can relate to Superman's heart, Batman's mind, and Wonder Woman's determination more than Iron Man's narcissism, Captain America's jingoism, and Hulk's anger.)

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By oraclefyre

I think that Joss means there is bigger pressure for a JL movie. The characters are more concepts than characters. People who have never picked up a Wonder Woman comic can easily say she's brave, courageous etc....They're more adjectives than personalities if that makes sense.

soundgarden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By soundgarden

NOT A GOOD IDEA IN MY OPNION.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@cattlebattle said:

@Erik said:

:) Regardless of people saying how he "destroyed" or "butchered" the X-Men franchise or the Superman film, Bryan Singer is a quality director, most of the Marvel studios just throw together movies to appease the fans most of the time, Singer took the material and put his own spin on some aspects...in which case a lot of the ideas made more sense than the actual comics did...no different in Superman Returns

For someone who likes to call a lot of people Whedon fanboys, you sure do like Singer a lot.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheAnnihilator said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Erik said:

For someone who likes to call a lot of people Whedon fanboys, you sure do like Singer a lot.

who did I call a Whedon fanboy?? 

Do you have butthurt because I don't think the Avengers is the greatest movie ever?? Well, I hate to tell ya this, but...a lot of people in life aren't going to have the same opinion as you sir....
    TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@cattlebattle said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Erik said:

who did I call a Whedon fanboy?? Do you have butthurt because I don't think the Avengers is the greatest movie ever?? Well, I hate to tell ya this, but...a lot of people in life aren't going to have the same opinion as you sir....

There was a thread before. You mostly talked about how Singer was the greatest filmmaker ever and Whedon sucked.

No. Not really. This was just an observation.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By tim2081

@cosmo111687 said:

@tim2081: I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand what you're saying. Avengers has Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Nick Fury. So that's 1 God, 1 God-like Monster, 1 Man in a Super-Powered Suit, 1 Man with Super Soldier Serum, 1 Unpowered but Unreasonably Skilled Assassin, 1 Unpowered but Unreasonably Skilled Archer, and 1 Man who commands S. H. I. E. L. D. from his helicarrier. At what point do these characters start being average or normal? They're, to use Stan Lee's words, Invincible, Incredible, and Earth's Mightiest Super Heroes! But that doesn't keep us from relating to them because, like all characters including Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, they have characteristics which we can see in ourselves (though, probably because of my DC bias, I can relate to Superman's heart, Batman's mind, and Wonder Woman's determination more than Iron Man's narcissism, Captain America's jingoism, and Hulk's anger.)

Batman being unreasonably skilled means achieving a level that is not possible by human means, no matter how exaggerated. Batman masters the most complex skills in a fraction of the time it takes other people. Some people dedicate their lives to studying martial arts and still aren't perfect, Batman mastered all of them in what? A few years, while simultaneously learning everything there is to know about science and technology. That's unreasonable. Black Widow and Hawkeye are exaggerated, Iron Man and Captain America also, to a slightly greater degree. I posted this earlier in response to someone else, but take these real life people, amplify their stories and skills a bit, and you'll get 4 of the 6 Avengers. It's impossible to do anything close to this with the Justice League.

Captain America - Navy Seals

Iron Man - Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Elon Musk

Hawkeye - CIA agents, marksmen

Black Widow - Anna Chapman

Nick Fury - Colin Powell, David Patraeus (4-star General, current Director of the CIA)

Secondly, I've met more narcissists, and people who have been to anger management, and people with drinking problems, than I have people who try to live up to some ideal. If I had powers, I would use them to my benefit first, and to help people when it's convenient for me. That's the way the world works.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheAnnihilator said:

There was a thread before. You mostly talked about how Singer was the greatest filmmaker ever and Whedon sucked.

aaah, I remember the discussion, I was mainly defending the X-Men films...which is something I have to do quite often, while my argument lead to me discrediting Whedon....the guys has done some very good things...but has also had failures, the thing is I feel people blow the Avengers film out of proportion with how good it was, it was great for what it was, but I would hardly call it the greatest comic film ever made.....I could name a handful that were better...I would even consider X2 which was directed by Bryan Singer a better film overall.
    TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@cattlebattle said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

aaah, I remember the discussion, I was mainly defending the X-Men films...which is something I have to do quite often, while my argument lead to me discrediting Whedon....the guys has done some very good things...but has also had failures, the thing is I feel people blow the Avengers film out of proportion with how good it was, it was great for what it was, but I would hardly call it the greatest comic film ever made.....I could name a handful that were better...I would even consider X2 which was directed by Bryan Singer a better film overall.

I don't like to use the term greatest comic book film ever made, because there really aren't that many and people always say the newest one is the best. I think Avengers is the one I enjoyed the most and the most ambitious. I wouldn't consider X2 a better film for a few reasons. The last time I watched it was a few months ago and I'm a little foggy, but I don't think the acting or the dialogue were that good. It's a lot better than the first X-Men movie. That was just...corny.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By cosmo111687

@tim2081: If that's the way the world works, then all the more reason for having a JLA movie to teach people not be those things.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheAnnihilator said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

I don't like to use the term greatest comic book film ever made, because there really aren't that many and people always say the newest one is the best. I think Avengers is the one I enjoyed the most and the most ambitious. I wouldn't consider X2 a better film for a few reasons. The last time I watched it was a few months ago and I'm a little foggy, but I don't think the acting or the dialogue were that good. It's a lot better than the first X-Men movie. That was just...corny.

To each his own then....I thought the X-Men films (first two and First Class)) were very serious, plausible and character driven...I found the Avengers to actually be kind of corny and simplistic...and Whedon getting so much praise is BS too, considering some things such as all the characters lore and the actors that played them and just about everything were already established in other movies...Whedon had it easy...
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123:  

Saying that all DC characters are overpowered and that all Marvel characters have everyman problems is incredibly retarded.

At the same time, it's easily the biggest misconception in comics, period.

So very true.
    moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By moywar700

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Erik

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Erik said:

Superman Returns is good!

Just like Ghost Rider, Elektra and Rise of the Silver Surfer were.

Lmao!
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By RainEffect

@cattlebattle said:

@RainEffect said:

@cattlebattle said:

STFU Whedon....your not that great..

You're*

Also, the Avengers dominance at the Box Office and overwhelmingly positive critical reception beg to differ.

1. We are not in grammar class ...so who gives a crap2 Avatar also has amazing box office numbers...doesn't mean its a master piece 3.Bias is obvious from your avatar
    1. You're currently visiting a website that has English as its predominant language - therefore you should use proper English (besides, it is for your own benefit you be corrected.
    2. Never said Avatar, or the Avengers for that matter, was a masterpiece. You said Whedon isn't that great, I said that overwhelmingly positive critical reception begs to differ.
    3. Using your deductive powers? Well they're wrong. I'm biased towards Loki, if you must know.

Class dismissed.

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By FanofUltraman

I think the hardest part is securing COMMITTED actors. I can't stand seeing Bruce Banner change faces every five seconds.

For the J.L., they need to re-boot and create new films for the five core members: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and Green Lantern, that have the same actors from start to finish! Do that, and they shall rake in the dough.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:
    To each his own then....I thought the X-Men films (first two and First Class)) were very serious, plausible and character driven...I found the Avengers to actually be kind of corny and simplistic...and Whedon getting so much praise is BS too, considering some things such as all the characters lore and the actors that played them and just about everything were already established in other movies...Whedon had it easy...  

This. When folks were saying "Avengers is the best." I was like "Not even the best film based on Marvel Characters." What did it have that the first 2 X-men films didn't?  Don't get me wrong, I liked the Avengers, but it was nothing more than an entertaining film, IMHO.
    mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mettlekm

@Crom-Cruach: you don't get a rush from Rocky? smh...

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By mettlekm

@Manwhohaseverything: Actually spidey tried to be a wrestler and look what happened. That's the focal point of him as a character. Taking responsiblity & guilt over past selfish mistakes. Yeah... i guess it's a choice, but not if you understand the heart of the character.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think he is trying to say Marvel is more relatable, but I don't think that means that the Justice League can't have a good movie if done right

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By cattlebattle
    @RainEffect said:

@cattlebattle said:

@RainEffect said:

@cattlebattle said:

You're*

Also, the Avengers dominance at the Box Office and overwhelmingly positive critical reception beg to differ.

1. We are not in grammar class ...so who gives a crap2 Avatar also has amazing box office numbers...doesn't mean its a master piece 3.Bias is obvious from your avatar
    1. You're currently visiting a website that has English as its predominant language - therefore you should use proper English (besides, it is for your own benefit you be corrected.
    2. Never said Avatar, or the Avengers for that matter, was a masterpiece. You said Whedon isn't that great, I said that overwhelmingly positive critical reception begs to differ.
    3. Using your deductive powers? Well they're wrong. I'm biased towards Loki, if you must know.

Class dismissed.

1. The internet and this country are loaded with people who use incorrect grammar...pointing out one little mistake is petty....and you were the only one that cared.. So congratulations.
    2. Dominance at the box office does not qualify one to be great.....I was using Avatar as an example. X-Men the Last Stand had the most successful box office of the X-Men franchise...does NOT mean its the best
    3. Then why don't you have a picture of comic Loki.....and you also said Avengers was masterpiece.....so you just solidified my suspicion of your bias

Next time you think your schooling someone...try to have a viable argument...otherwise...this class sucks
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#131  Edited By BatteredArmor

@cattlebattle said:

*Scary voice* Do not doubt Whedon, he is beyond the judgment of mortals

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By cattlebattle
    @BlackArmor said:

@cattlebattle said:

Apparently, people keep acting like this. I don't hate the guy, but why someone would be asking his advice on A Justice League movie is beyond me, he made a successful movie, and some good television shows........Unfortunately, my post lead me to come under fire from those who would lick Whedons feet.
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By BatteredArmor

@cattlebattle said:

@BlackArmor said:

@cattlebattle said:

Apparently, people keep acting like this. I don't hate the guy, but why someone would be asking his advice on A Justice League movie is beyond me, he made a successful movie, and some good television shows........Unfortunately, my post lead me to come under fire from those who would lick Whedons feet.

(Christian Bale Batman Growl) Whedon may not be the film maker super hero movies need but he's the one they deserve...................(regular voice) I still wish he made the Wonder Woman movie. Anyway were not liking the Man's shoes were just giving him his due credit even though my original comment was intended to be humorously exaggerated, he made a movie with Thor Captain America and Iron Man and made it one of the three best selling movies world wide of all time not to mention that one of the two that out ranks it was in theaters twice and the Avenger's dvd isn't out yet, frankly he's the only one qualified to give advice about a Justice League movie since he's the only one who ever successfully made a movie that brings several super heroes with different origins together

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mettlekm said:

@Manwhohaseverything: Actually spidey tried to be a wrestler and look what happened. That's the focal point of him as a character. Taking responsiblity & guilt over past selfish mistakes. Yeah... i guess it's a choice, but not if you understand the heart of the character.

I'd also say the heart of the Superman character also makes his choice on how he lives the only logical one he can make. That's probably where the real disagreements come from.
    Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Skunkstein

Thor is by far much ''bigger-than-life'' than any Justice League member.. just saying...

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#136  Edited By RainEffect

@cattlebattle said:

@RainEffect said:

@cattlebattle said:

@RainEffect said:

@cattlebattle said:

You're*

Class dismissed.

1. The internet and this country are loaded with people who use incorrect grammar...pointing out one little mistake is petty....and you were the only one that cared.. So congratulations. 2. Dominance at the box office does not qualify one to be great.....I was using Avatar as an example. X-Men the Last Stand had the most successful box office of the X-Men franchise...does NOT mean its the best 3. Then why don't you have a picture of comic Loki.....and you also said Avengers was masterpiece.....so you just solidified my suspicion of your bias Next time you think your schooling someone...try to have a viable argument...otherwise...this class sucks
    1. I was correcting you for your own benefit, not to be a douche or out of pettiness.
    2. Again, you have misunderstood me. I never said that Avengers was an amazing movie. We're using the quote function here, look up.
      This continues onto my next point...
    3. Where did I say the Avengers was a masterpiece, buddy? I said "Never said Avatar, or the Avengers for that matter, was a masterpiece".
      Might as well copy and paste what I said previously, which was that your statement of Whedon isn't that great being completely trounced by overwhelmingly positive critical reception (and, let's take a moment here - critics hate super hero movies, so Whedon must be doing something right).

I appreciate your enthusiasm to get schooled, buddy, but you're wasting my time.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By cattlebattle
    @RainEffect said:

@cattlebattle said:

1. I was correcting you for your own benefit, not to be a douche or out of pettiness.
    2. Again, you have misunderstood me. I never said that Avengers was an amazing movie. We're using the quote function here, look up.
      This continues onto my next point...
    3. Where did I say the Avengers was a masterpiece, buddy? I said "Never said Avatar, or the Avengers for that matter, was a masterpiece".
      Might as well copy and paste what I said previously, which was that your statement of Whedon isn't that great being completely trounced by overwhelmingly positive critical reception (and, let's take a moment here - critics hate super hero movies, so Whedon must be doing something right).

I appreciate your enthusiasm to get schooled, buddy, but you're wasting my time.

1...Save it, no one cares...here, being I follow you because we must have been friendly at some point, I will make it my personal responsibility to read everything you write and wait for a typo, punctuation error, or even a fragmented sentence.....then troll the crap out of you...just so you can see how absolutely annoying it is.
    2. You implied to to box office success, Avengers and Whedon were great....otherwise, you wouldn't have argued otherwise
    3.Once again, my opinion was Whedon is not that great, regardless of critical reception.....and where do you get the fact of critics hating super hero films?? I can think of several that are very highly rated

I have no aspirations to go to special ed. So chill, and I am sorry to interrupt your valuable time your using to sit on your ass and peruse the internet....get off your high horse man
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#138  Edited By entropy_aegis

Entropy's advice on a JL movie

DONT MAKE ONE.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@WildStyle said:

I can't say I disagree. Whoever ends up doing this movie, he or she will have a much tougher time than what Joss had to go through with the Avengers. It's not going to be simple and easy at all or else we would've already gotten a JL movie. So many aspects are going to have to be nailed perfectly. It's also going to have involve people who actually give a shit about the source material like Fiege and Whedon.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@tim2081 said:

@Crom-Cruach said:

@tim2081 said:

DC may have many "down to Earth" characters, but they're not as popular as Marvel's, and they're not the most popular in DC. And Batman is not down to Earth; he can do things that no normal human can ever achieve or even get close to doing.

And yet people still love them. What should that tell you? It should tell you the marvel approach isn't the only valid one.

Once again, I never said it was the only valid approach. I said it was tougher, not impossible. DC's most popular movie ever is The Dark Knight, and in that, Batman was severely toned down. He had a significant reduction in skill and intelligence compared to his comic book counterpart. Nolan humanized him so he could make a better movie.

@Manwhohaseverything: Yeah, I will always agree that every superhero is far-fetched. But assuming that someone wants to be a superhero, Spider-Man is the type that does the best he can with what he has; which is what most people do with their life. But Superman is in a constant state of holding himself back and moving at half speed, trying not to stand out; which is not very common behavior among people. It's fine to disagree with that, but it's just what makes sense to me.

Kiltro95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Kiltro95

A lot of the reason why the Avengers worked was the build up, as for the argument of DC not having enough down to earth characters I personally believe it depends on the reader and how they feel they can relate to it, and if one can't relate to the superhero they could relate to the alter ego (The one under the mask) and the characters personality. But I mean come on do you expect Whedon, to promote a Justice League movie after the Avengers success? I don't think so. But let's be honest it took 6 movies to introduce the Avengers, it took like what half a quarter of a Season of a Television show to introduce the Avengers, but there is not one person I know that needs an introduction to the Justice League.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By tim2081

@Kiltro95 said:

A lot of the reason why the Avengers worked was the build up, as for the argument of DC not having enough down to earth characters I personally believe it depends on the reader and how they feel they can relate to it, and if one can't relate to the superhero they could relate to the alter ego (The one under the mask) and the characters personality. But I mean come on do you expect Whedon, to promote a Justice League movie after the Avengers success? I don't think so. But let's be honest it took 6 movies to introduce the Avengers, it took like what half a quarter of a Season of a Television show to introduce the Avengers, but there is not one person I know that needs an introduction to the Justice League.

Even Hulk needed an introduction to the Avengers, and he's more popular than all the JL, except Superman and Batman (which are the only 2 who wouldn't need one). The general public knows the names of the JL and maybe a couple powers, but nothing else (just like Captain America). The introductions allow them to skip back-stories and power descriptions, and focus on the main story.

Kiltro95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Kiltro95

@tim2081 said:

@Kiltro95 said:

Even Hulk needed an introduction to the Avengers, and he's more popular than all the JL, except Superman and Batman (which are the only 2 who wouldn't need one). The general public knows the names of the JL and maybe a couple powers, but nothing else (just like Captain America). The introductions allow them to skip back-stories and power descriptions, and focus on the main story.

You bring a good point, Hulk being more popular than the Justice League is true but have you stopped to consider why because the general public was introduced to him through a television show they know his powers because they're simple, (don't get me wrong I loved the concept of the Hulk as a kid and still do today.) But this is how I see it I used to go to school where a lot of people wore superhero T-shirts most of them of the Justice League heroes but none of them knew their origins, or some of their powers, the characters were just cool and iconic and this was before the animated series... And its still the same way today I talk to people about the Justice League and whether or not they want to see a movie they say 'yes' and don't care if they build it up they just want to see it. What I said earlier was just my opinion. I appreciate contributing your own.

cellot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By cellot

The thing that strikes me about it is that the Justice League is almost too powerful.

The Avengers, I mean they would be tough to beat, but you can comprehend looking at the six of them (in the movie) and going "Yeah, I could take them." Superman on his own is a threat you'd almost beyond challenging unless you fall back on putting Kryptonite in everything. Most of the Avengers have weaknesses intrinsic to who they are, like Hulk being completely uncontrollable, whereas many Justice League heroes have things. The strategies boil down to confusing the Avengers and turning them on each other to the point where you may be able to overwhelm them; with the Justice League it's the magic bullet.

It takes a lot more tech and ridiculous levels of planning to take down the Justice League to the point where no one on an earthly level can really challenge them so you get into the "infinity plus one" conversations. For the Avengers, all it takes is Yoko Ono. I think that's what Josh Whedon means; the Justice League is so powerful you get out of the Earthly realm whereas Avengers are very human and petty and subject to the same pitfalls no matter how powerful they are. You don't need to be a destroyer of worlds to challenge the Avengers.

Of course I'm over simplifying and I'm sure that there's something I missed, but we're talking in general terms.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ARMIV2

If DC is going to make a Justice League movie along the lines of how the Avengers came out, then they're going to need to stop isolating their characters and allow them to exist as they are together.

Same thing they ended up doing for their books back in the day...

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By WARLOCK2792

The characters aren't just uber powerful with uber powerful villains...they are freakin aliens/children of deities/sorcerers/etc.

Marvel took years setting this sh*t up, so that it would actually make sense. We already KNEW the character origins, and we already KNEW most of the characters' personalities.....Making a Justice League movie from SCRATCH, WOULD require a helluva lot of work, because they can't just bring up characters as if we already know them..............I don't see why some people are giving him crap for being right.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @White Mage: ...It would'nt be that hard, it wouldn't be any harder than making the Avengers movies, like you said, those films took a lot of set up films (really it was just four unless you count Iron man 2..which I don't) DC could do the same thing, Reboot Superman, which they're doing, reboot Batman, which they're doing, finally make WW and Flash, and a sequel to GL, which they're doing, and bingo, you're in business. Gotta say Joss is wrong on this one.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@The Stegman said:

@White Mage: ...It would'nt be that hard, it wouldn't be any harder than making the Avengers movies, like you said, those films took a lot of set up films (really it was just four unless you count Iron man 2..which I don't) DC could do the same thing, Reboot Superman, which they're doing, reboot Batman, which they're doing, finally make WW and Flash, and a sequel to GL, which they're doing, and bingo, you're in business. Gotta say Joss is wrong on this one.

Each one of those movies had a common denominator who made perfect sense as far as uniting the entire team. The same hasn't really been done for any of the Batman's (unless this third one just screams a Justice League tie-in), and it definitely wasn't done for that flop known as Green Lantern. Now we get to play that wait and see game. However, when it comes to said game, the Justice League is missing something else that Marvel thought about way ahead of time...a unifying character. Someone who has both importance, and presence. Someone who can make all of these characters actually look like they are apart of the same universe....speaking of which, due to the lack of a unifying character, it would be a helluva lot more difficult for them to come together at random, especially if we consider the film styles/portrayals of Green Lantern and Batman.....they'd have better luck at making a Teen Titans movie, or a Young Justice-style movie, because at least then they can start fresh. I don't see any of the adults being brought together in a way that seems natural.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @White Mage:  

@The Stegman said:

Each one of those movies had a common denominator who made perfect sense as far as uniting the entire team. The same hasn't really been done for any of the Batman's (unless this third one just screams a Justice League tie-in), and it definitely wasn't done for that flop known as Green Lantern. Now we get to play that wait and see game. However, when it comes to said game, the Justice League is missing something else that Marvel thought about way ahead of time...a unifying character. Someone who has both importance, and presence. Someone who can make all of these characters actually look like they are apart of the same universe....speaking of which, due to the lack of a unifying character, it would be a helluva lot more difficult for them to come together at random, especially if we consider the film styles/portrayals of Green Lantern and Batman.....they'd have better luck at making a Teen Titans movie, or a Young Justice-style movie, because at least then they can start fresh. I don't see any of the adults being brought together in a way that seems natural. 

Well to the first point, you're thinking purely of Nolan's Batman, Like I said, they're rebooting the series, the new Batman, whoever it is, could be more JLA friendly, second, since the GL sequel isn't done yet, who knows, it could tie into a JLA movie fine, just because the first one is bad, doesn't mean the next will be, hopefully,they'll learn from their mistakes. As for a unifying character, I assume you mean Fury for the Avengers, I'm sure Dc can come up with a character like him, they have plenty, Faraday comes to mind, HOWEVER, having said that, I don't think they should have a government type ''uniting'' the JLA, for the simple fact that, they weren't united like that, I'd say the unifying character can be Martian Manhunter, he's been around since the 50's on DC Earth, after watching the humans develop, and the emergence of new ''super heroes'' over the decades, MM would be a perfect catalyst to bring the team together to ward off an invading army (white martians maybe, or heck, even Darkseid if they're feeling rambunctious).   
    Of course, I'm speaking purely subjectively, the next GL movie might have nothing to do with the League, same with the Batman and Superman reboots, although it would be a missed opportunity, and a shame. My point is, we may see a JLA movie, we may not, but they have just a good a chance of being made, and being as well done as the Avengers.
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#150  Edited By KainScion

@BlueLantern1995 said:

DC just be happy you currently have better comics than your competitor...you can't win them all.

you did not just post that!! lantern boy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.