Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

JL:AI Ride Shows Why I Think Cyborg's Current Costume is Terrible

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superdork

WB's Justice League: Alien Invasion ride is a pretty cool idea. But there's something that I don't really like about it, and that problem stems from the comics themselves. The problem I'm refering to is Cyborg's half face. There is no way that it could look good in live action.

No Caption Provided

My solution: lose the half face!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OutlawRenegade

I agree, man.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

Disagreed. Part of the tragedy in Victor's life is that he'll never look normal (or be normal) again. Transforming him into a superhero version of Inspector Gadget ruins the whole thing.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Superdork

@SmashBrawler said:

Disagreed. Part of the tragedy in Victor's life is that he'll never look normal (or be normal) again. Transforming him into a superhero version of Inspector Gadget ruins the whole thing.

This techno-scarring has the same effect, but saves time, money, and energy. Plus, it looks cooler.

No Caption Provided

The half-face to Cyborg is what the red shorts are to Superman.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By EdBlank

I wanna slap the s*** out of whoever named him simply "Cyborg". He should have a sidekick named "Human" in that case. The "Cyborg-mobile" would simply be called "Automobile". Hi lair would be named "Hideout". You see where I'm going with this...

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Superdork: Sorry, but I think people would be much more comfortable around him if he had that techno-scarring as opposed to having a half-face. It's not the same thing.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@Superdork said:

@SmashBrawler said:

This techno-scarring has the same effect, but saves time, money, and energy. Plus, it looks cooler.

No Caption Provided

The half-face to Cyborg is what the red shorts are to Superman.

agreed, to update cyborg they should make him similar to his smallville counterpert with the added bonus of the scar line seperating that part of his face like in the pic above makes perfect sense,plus it looks sweet!!

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Superdork

@SmashBrawler said:

@Superdork: Sorry, but I think people would be much more comfortable around him if he had that techno-scarring as opposed to having a half-face. It's not the same thing.

People are terrified of Superman for being an alien, and he looks like an attractive, Caucasian-looking male.

@EdBlank said:

I wanna slap the s*** out of whoever named him simply "Cyborg". He should have a sidekick named "Human" in that case. The "Cyborg-mobile" would simply be called "Automobile". Hi lair would be named "Hideout". You see where I'm going with this...

lol!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Superdork said:

@SmashBrawler said:

People are terrified of Superman for being an alien, and he looks like an attractive, Caucasian-looking male.

Not most people. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot more people would be terrified of him if he looked more like an alien. The same could be said here.

Yes, Cyborg is an unique specimen, since he isn't completely human, but in this case he would look a lot like one, which makes people more comfortable around him since people are always more comfortable with familiar things. If Cyborg looked like a half-man, half-machine guy more people would be afraid of him. He couldn't even go to high school since everybody would be afraid of him, but the other Cyborg could, since he looks mostly normal, is a famous superhero and has cool powers. The half-man, half-machine Cyborg is a famous superhero and has cool powers too, but at what cost?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#10  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Meh. Hollywood special effects and costume redesign will make that look much better.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Disagree, what makes Cyborg interesting to look at visually is the fact that he's...well, a cyborg, machine and man, I like the way he looks, I don't want him looking like a normal guy (the scar doesn't really make him look THAT abnormal) I want to see him all robotized. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

I think the machine parts should be retractable. Like Extremis kind of.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Superdork

@SmashBrawler said:

@Superdork said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Not most people. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot more people would be terrified of him if he looked more like an alien. The same could be said here.

Yes, Cyborg is an unique specimen, since he isn't completely human, but in this case he would look a lot like one, which makes people more comfortable around him since people are always more comfortable with familiar things. If Cyborg looked like a half-man, half-machine guy more people would be afraid of him. He couldn't even go to high school since everybody would be afraid of him, but the other Cyborg could, since he looks mostly normal, is a famous superhero and has cool powers. The half-man, half-machine Cyborg is a famous superhero and has cool powers too, but at what cost?

He can still be written to be scary if the writer wants that. See here:

And it's like someone who has a wonky eye--just a little change can disturb people. Just looking at his robot eye would bother people. Plus more people--the government included would be wayyy more terrified that he has access to all of their secrets. Even with no half-face people wouldn't let him go to high school since it's clear that he could be a danger to his fellow students--he has a public identity and he was rebuilt by his father (mad scientist style!). People could also be afraid of him because of his origin and face. He could have easily been a villain.

And at what cost? The cost of his dreams, his friends, any sense of normalcy, his sense of humanity. He can be just as angsty as Superman for all the same reasons.

Finally, what's the point of making him a sad sack? Sad sacks can't hold books (look at the Thing). People prefer the funny Avengers Hulk over the depressing Edward Norton Incredible Hulk and Ang Lee Hulk.

Finally, his most popular and well known characterization (Teen Titans Go!) is that of a happy, loud, sweer ex-jock. We don't need to make him another Batman or another Thing or another Hulk. He should have a unique (non-depressing) personality.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Superdork

Half face or no half face. He can still have self-loathing.

No Caption Provided

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Meh. Hollywood special effects and costume redesign will make that look much better.

Do I really have to bring up Green Lantern's mask. One color, and it didn't need to move much, and it still looked terrible. It was a visual and financial disaster.

The half face doesn't even look good in video games:

No Caption Provided

@Gambit1024 said:

I think the machine parts should be retractable. Like Extremis kind of.

A middle ground that I would like, but I still prefer non at all.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Lvenger

Nope still prefer the half face. It's an essential part of him being who he is. The half metallic plate epitomises the fact that he's become more machine than man whereas techno scarring doesn't have the same effect. That being said I agree that Cyborg's costume in the photo is terrible.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By fodigg

Depends how it's done. I don't think scarring or no-visible-cybernetics are enough to show the full themes of the character. I agree that what gets a pass in the comics wouldn't work on screen, but you can show visible cybernetics without making it look totally ridiculous.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Superdork said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Superdork said:

@SmashBrawler said:

He can still be written to be scary if the writer wants that. See here:

And it's like someone who has a wonky eye--just a little change can disturb people. Just looking at his robot eye would bother people. Plus more people--the government included would be wayyy more terrified that he has access to all of their secrets. Even with no half-face people wouldn't let him go to high school since it's clear that he could be a danger to his fellow students--he has a public identity and he was rebuilt by his father (mad scientist style!). People could also be afraid of him because of his origin and face. He could have easily been a villain.

And at what cost? The cost of his dreams, his friends, any sense of normalcy, his sense of humanity. He can be just as angsty as Superman for all the same reasons.

Finally, what's the point of making him a sad sack? Sad sacks can't hold books (look at the Thing). People prefer the funny Avengers Hulk over the depressing Edward Norton Incredible Hulk and Ang Lee Hulk.

Finally, his most popular and well known characterization (Teen Titans Go!) is that of a happy, loud, sweer ex-jock. We don't need to make him another Batman or another Thing or another Hulk. He should have a unique (non-depressing) personality.

I grew up reading Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans, so I always saw Victor more as a tragic figure who was helped by his new friends, the Teen Titans. Plus, I don't think the half face looks bad, aesthetically speaking.

And of course Cyborg will be seen as threat, he's a superhero, a potential treat to everybody. What I meant with the high school comment is that people would be more comfortable around him. There's studies that demonstrate that people prefer to speak to a computer by communticating to a robot rather than speaking with the computer itself. Why? Because it's closer to speaking with a real human being. The same could be said about Cyborg: people would speak to him a lot more if he looked more like a human.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Funrush

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#19  Edited By Black_Claw

Well that particular model looks crappy, but overall I like Cyborg the way he is. Those fan designs are cool but they really don't capture the "half machine" element that the official design does.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle
    @EdBlank said:
    lmao........very true...
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TDK_1997

I love his current look.He has always been an interesting character to me because he wasn't just another tech superhero but he was indeed a cyborg.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By dernman

I prefer the bulky look and detest the fanmade sleek look. To me it takes away from the character and make it way to easy to forget what he's dealing with.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hasn't he always had a half face?

Anyway I was never fond of his costume anyway. It looks liked he just wore a white tanktop and some silver bands on his arms and legs, that was it. Never liked looking at him either he looked a bit recycled and unfinished. WHile I sound like a hater, I'm really neutral for the most part, he just never interested me x_x

His current look is better, but generic. I think simplifying him would be better and making him sleeker as well. Because in all honesty when I picture him running in my head I feel like he's just lugging himself around. Imagine running while carrying a bunch of VCRs, tap recorders, Cd's, and blah around -_-

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By SUNMAN

@EdBlank said:

No Caption Provided

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

this.

superdork I know you've been griping about this forever, and I don't think all artists draw a good Cyborg, but some do. And historically Cyborg's always been a tragic character, understand if you make him like more like the bionic man or Ghost in the Shell like as he was on Smallville it will change a lot about his character.

I'm still confident Cyborg's design will improve overtime. Seems like he's suppose to be the Megaman X for the Justice League when it comes to combat, and his current build seems to reinforce that.

Avatar image for hecticblueeyes9
    HecticBlueEyes9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HecticBlueEyes9

I'm a man of distinct taste, and the half face speaks volumes compared to techno scarring. Yes people would be more susceptible to him but then that takes away from his character. Now I'm way late in this discussion but my views are if you're gonna use Cyborg at all, he needs to be a "cyborg" not an android.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Captain13

@hecticblueeyes9 said:

I'm a man of distinct taste, and the half face speaks volumes compared to techno scarring. Yes people would be more susceptible to him but then that takes away from his character. Now I'm way late in this discussion but my views are if you're gonna use Cyborg at all, he needs to be a "cyborg" not an android.

Yes, Superman is green, Green Lantern is a lantern, and Aquaman has a fish bottom. Funny how the only minority looks like a monster but we let it slide with everyone else.

You also don't seem to know the working definitions of cyborg and android.

• Cyborg-a fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities are extended beyond normal human limitations by mechanical elements built into the body. Note: no exterior mechanics necessary. See also, Deux Ex (Adam Jensen), Master Chief, & 6 Million Dollar Man
    • Android- a robot with a human appearance. See Red Tornado or the Terminator or Amazo.

Seeing as Cyborg is not a robot...

No Caption Provided

Even if the half-face is not gotten rid of, there is no reason for it to be permanent--especially since some versions of the character in the comics and tv have not had a permanent half face. It would also make it easier to feature the character in live action projects and look less like a Robocop ripoff.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with the non-halfface one. Never really liked his new costume. Glad to see they are changing it up in the comics.

CIN.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.