Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3320 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Isn't the JLA's title a trifle passe nowadays?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paracelsus

Hot on the heels of Superman's decision to formally renounce his US citizenship ( Action Comics #900) and "go global"- it just occurred to me- isn't the JLA's official title "Justice League of America" more than a little passe in the 21st century. After all how many of the League's members are American citizens by birth( Green Lantern, Batman, Aquaman definitely, Wonder Woman and Superman maybe, Martian Manhunter  definitely not), and in an era of "globalization" doesn't this imply a certain parti pris attitude to a particular country( Marvel is more circumspect- the Avengers call themselves "Earth's Mightiest Heroes", the FF has from the beginning pledged itself to use its powers for the benefit of humanity and not just Uncle Sam-even Captain America says that he represents the ideals of America and not just the policies of the current Administration)? Besides, even with the Cold War fading into history, there are STILL countries not on good terms with the US- Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam, Iran, Venezuela -how does the JLA deal with them?

Terry

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

They could reorganise into the JLE perhaps?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Nighthunter

That's why the new series isn't called Justice League of America or JLA but simply Justice League

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThanosIsMad

I hate the whole America/Europe/International thing, anyway, especially when they often deal with planetary threats or threats in other countries.  I'm glad they're dropping the America part.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @ThanosIsMad said:
    I hate the whole America/Europe/International thing, anyway, especially when they often deal with planetary threats or threats in other countries.  I'm glad they're dropping the America part.
    Now you have Dark!
    Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Paracelsus

Some posters (who shall be nameless!) miss the point of my comment. During WWII and the Cold War, the close relationship between heroes (Marvel; and DC) may have had some validity inasmuch as the United States government was clearly"on the side of the angels", but nowadays esp with things like l'affaire Iraq and globalization making societies closer than they have ever been before, why continue in what strikes me as a form of "captivity"-if a JLA member or the team collectively chase a villain into another country(one neither an ally , military or diplomatic), say the Russian Federation or Cuba-or Iran/Venezuela, can they claim that the authority given them by the US supersedes the sovereignty of that other nation(it is noteworthy that the then Bush Administration asserted that the reason for its opposition to the International Crminal Court was that it "infringed on American sovereignty")? No, it would be better to ask for a charter or authrority from an international authority such as the UN!

Terry

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Paracelsus said:
    Some posters (who shall be nameless!) miss the point of my comment. During WWII and the Cold War, the close relationship between heroes (Marvel; and DC) may have had some validity inasmuch as the United States government was clearly"on the side of the angels", but nowadays esp with things like l'affaire Iraq and globalization making societies closer than they have ever been before, why continue in what strikes me as a form of "captivity"-if a JLA member or the team collectively chase a villain into another country(one neither an ally , military or diplomatic), say the Russian Federation or Cuba-or Iran/Venezuela, can they claim that the authority given them by the US supersedes the sovereignty of that other nation(it is noteworthy that the then Bush Administration asserted that the reason for its opposition to the International Crminal Court was that it "infringed on American sovereignty")? No, it would be better to ask for a charter or authrority from an international authority such as the UN!  Terry
    Since when was the JLA government funded? Like at all...It was Oliver Queen then Bruce Wayne that funded it. JLI was UN.
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RedK
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @Paracelsus said:
    Some posters (who shall be nameless!) miss the point of my comment. During WWII and the Cold War, the close relationship between heroes (Marvel; and DC) may have had some validity inasmuch as the United States government was clearly"on the side of the angels", but nowadays esp with things like l'affaire Iraq and globalization making societies closer than they have ever been before, why continue in what strikes me as a form of "captivity"-if a JLA member or the team collectively chase a villain into another country(one neither an ally , military or diplomatic), say the Russian Federation or Cuba-or Iran/Venezuela, can they claim that the authority given them by the US supersedes the sovereignty of that other nation(it is noteworthy that the then Bush Administration asserted that the reason for its opposition to the International Crminal Court was that it "infringed on American sovereignty")? No, it would be better to ask for a charter or authrority from an international authority such as the UN!  Terry
    Since when was the JLA government funded? Like at all...It was Oliver Queen then Bruce Wayne that funded it. JLI was UN.
    but the US government has backed them up and supported them. 

Also in an issue of Green Lantern Hal was chasing some rouge space villian and the russian government brought clams that he was breaking laws by tresspassing on foreign soils, even theough the guy he was after was not from earth and Hal was acting on behalf of an intergalactic police force. the same thing has happened with Supes on more then one occasion, Action Comics #900 being the most recent.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssejllenrad

On a more serious note... Why is "America" always equated to just the US? Consequently, "Americans" to just US citizens?

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adnan

It's just going to be called 'Justice League' come September

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedK
    @ssejllenrad said:
    On a more serious note... Why is "America" always equated to just the US? Consequently, "Americans" to just US citizens?
    never thought about that before, really it shouldn't be called the united states of america since all of america isn't united they should call it the Northen States of America
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @RedK: No.. It should be called States of America North of Mexico and South of Canada... SANoMaSoC! Nyehehehe!
    Mahzian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mahzian

I'm glad they are dropping "America" from the title, it only adds nostalgic value, and seems to be pandering to patriotic readers, I've read the series for years and it never really made sense to me. 

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @ssejllenrad said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@RedK: No.. It should be called States of America North of Mexico and South of Canada... SANoMaSoC! Nyehehehe!

Because they're states that are united in America. That's why until the US Civil War it was "These United States of America," and not "The United States of America" in fact in some more formal forms of reference it's still referred to as "These United States of America"

There's no requirement that all of the states on the American continents be part of the US, just some, which some are.

@RedK said:
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @Paracelsus said:
    but the US government has backed them up and supported them.   Also in an issue of Green Lantern Hal was chasing some rouge space villian and the russian government brought clams that he was breaking laws by tresspassing on foreign soils, even theough the guy he was after was not from earth and Hal was acting on behalf of an intergalactic police force. the same thing has happened with Supes on more then one occasion, Action Comics #900 being the most recent.

Uhhh Hal Jordan uses his jurisdictional authortity of being a huge ass---- err Green Lantern to do that not the US.  And Superman got into s--- with the United States in AC 900 and supes put that false idea down.  Many times the JLA have gone against the US government, hell Batman still has warrants out on him, Superman is an illegal alien, Martian Manhunter as well.  Hal Jordan could be considered a military deserter or at very least a security risk to the US because he's sworn an Oath to Oa after he swore one to the US Armed Forces.  

Hell in the most recent iteration of the Justice League(the cartoon I'm referring to) they had a mini-cold war with Cadmus a Meta-human arm of the US Government.
    Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Paracelsus

I NEVER said or implied that the JLA was funded or controlled by the US Government(clearly it is not)-but only to note that the close ties between the JLA and various organs of the US Government( law enforcement, intelligence) might draw into question the objectivity or impartiality of an entity that calls itself "The Justice League of AMERICA" aswould many governments (and NOT just those known not to be on friendly terms with the US- such as North Korea, Iran or Venezuela). I don't know much about the Oath to Oa Hal Jordan swore but it demonstratably does not seem to conflcit with his loyalty to the US Constitution.

Terry

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By webling
    @ssejllenrad said:
    That's just what we call ourselves in English. I know in Spanish they say "estadounidense" which means UnitedStatesan.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Nighthunter
    @ssejllenrad said:
    Comes from the XiXth century after it became a world power and the only one that America had. As far as Europe was concerned the United States was the only country worth mentioning and thus it became a synonym with the continent. 

Then again one would have thought that 2 hundred years later people would have finally caught up. What with Canada, Brazil and USA having strong economical presence and Mexico (yes mexico) as an always growing power.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By fodigg

I prefer just "Justice League."

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Paracelsus said:
    I NEVER said or implied that the JLA was funded or controlled by the US Government(clearly it is not)-but only to note that the close ties between the JLA and various organs of the US Government( law enforcement, intelligence) might draw into question the objectivity or impartiality of an entity that calls itself "The Justice League of AMERICA" aswould many governments (and NOT just those known not to be on friendly terms with the US- such as North Korea, Iran or Venezuela). I don't know much about the Oath to Oa Hal Jordan swore but it demonstratably does not seem to conflcit with his loyalty to the US Constitution.  Terry
    Fair enough, now on the points you brought up.

1.) When has the JLA ever used any of the "organs" of the US Government for anything. The only thing close I can think of was when the US gets attacked the coordinate with the US Air Force, but that would be expected of any nation the JLA is defending. The funny thing is in WWIII storyline the JLA actually doesn't actually ask the US for authority to go after Black Adam they waited for the Chinese government's heroes to say yes it's okay to enter. 

2.) His Oath is to defend the US and uphold the US Constitution. If the US was under an attack and he's fighting an invasion at Tau Ceti, he automatically fails his oath to the US.  Hell he already did, the destruction of Coast City. He also withholds valuable technology from the US that could be vital to US defense and interests. 
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#20  Edited By StarKiller809

I really don't like to think about this. I think that comics should try to stay away from boundries of counrties. I also don't like bringing religion and politics into the mix. The JLA was made in a time where they were America's heroes and now people think that they should become world heroes. I think this was kinda solved by Justice LEague Internatinal, but I'm not sure.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

It was created as the Justice League of America and has been called that for the vast majority of it's existence. Keeping "America" in the name would be a good thing to do. Who is DC trying to cater to, anyway? And why would anyone who already likes the team be offended or put off by having "America" in the name? Why so sensitive?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Paracelsus

Much as we might like to live in a world where nationality and religion are not live issues( remember the flap about the "Muslim Batman"?), these issues are real and must be addressed. As for Hal Jordan's Oath to Oa conflicting with his one to the US Air Force- the issue should be which threat is greater- and remember that the US's safety CANNOT be discussed in isolation from that of Earth's as a whole, besides,Jordan as a Green Lantern is required to be a "global patriot" as opposed to a purely parochial one!(Giving extraterrestrial technology to the US woula arguably give an unfair advantage to America that other nations did not have)

Terry

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Billy Batson
    @Nighthunter said:
    That's why the new series isn't called Justice League of America or JLA but simply Justice League

Good. 

BB

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @ssejllenrad said:
    Because that's the way it has always been. Its the United States of America, Mexico isn't America, neither is Canada, Panama, Honduras, or even Puerto Rico. Those people call themselves by the country they originate. People tend to forget that the States at one time were like little countries and the United came about as they all adhered to a central government, and that's one reason for the Civil War because certain people associated more with their State identity then they did with their national identity, heck people do that even now.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Amegashita

I think it's more important to think about the fact there is now a Justice League with the 6 big name heroes, then there's the Justice League International.  If the new Justice League isn't "American" but global, why do you need an international League?  Stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.