How Would You of Rebooted The Justice League?

#1 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry if this has been done before. I searched and couldn't find a thing.

So, onto topic: It's 2011. The DC reboot/relaunch has been confirmed. You're but in charge of rebooting the Justice League for the New 52. How would you do it?

Here's mine:

Roster

• Superman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Green Lantern (Hal)
  • The Flash (Barry)
  • Aquaman
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime)

The Story

It follows the same idea as what actually happened, though some things are changed:

1. Martian Manhunter's back story ties into the story. In the new timeline, all the Martians were wiped out when Darkseid invaded Mars. J'onn escaped to Earth, and has lived there for years in secret.
  2. Batman and Cyborg are removed from the plot.
  3. Darkseid shows some more intelligence during his appearance, and is harder to take down.

How would you of done it?

#2 Posted by Captain13 (3256 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have given Cyborg an ongoing series at the start of the reboot and made him 5 years older. I would have written an opening arc on par with DC: The New Frontier.

I would have kept everything else the same.

#3 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13 said:

I would have given Cyborg an ongoing series at the start of the reboot and made him 5 years older. I would have written an opening arc on par with DC: The New Frontier.

This.

And this:

I would have two books.

"5 Years Ago" Roster (Self Contained Stories for Young, Unsteady, and New Readers/Book 1)

Writers: Revolves Every 5 Issues Between Scott Snyder, Gail Simone, Jeff Lemire, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Jeph Loeb, Mark Waid, Brian K. Vaughn, Kieron Gillen, Rick Remender, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, Darwyn Cooke, Brian Azzarello, Jan Van Meter, and other big name writers.

Artists: Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato, Ed McGuinness, Cully Hamner, and Nicola Scott.

No Official Leader

Current Roster (Serialized Stories for More Serious Fans/Book 2)

Writers: Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Christos Gage, Jeff Lemire

Artists: Ivan Reis, Bryan Hitch, Adam Kubert, Kenneth Rocafort, Nicola Scott, and other big name artists.

Leaders

Expanded Team

From: http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america/65-31815/whats-your-justice-league-dream-team/92-738033/#46

#4 Edited by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: Don't see how Cyborg could hold his own ongoing (not trying to trash the character, I feel the same way about Martian Manhunter), but still decent a idea.

@OutlawRenegade: That's a lot of Leaguers. Love seeing Beetle, Huntress, and Power Girl there.

#5 Posted by Captain13 (3256 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: I don't want to start a debate or anything, but I will say that I do believe deep in my bones that Cyborg can now carry a successful ongoing series for the reasons stated in these two threads.

http://www.comicvine.com/cyborg/29-2388/transcript-for-cyborg-his-time-has-come/92-743488/

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/captain13/why-it-would-be-a-great-idea-to-give-cyborg-an-ongoing-series/87-83656/

He has a lot of potential for great story telling that has yet to be mined. Now that he's an A-Lister in the DCU, and A-List creative team should be able to drive his sales. It worked for less prominent characters like Hawkman, Booster Gold, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Miles Morales. There's no reason it can't work for Cyborg now that he's so far in the foreground. :)

#6 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13: No offense, but I looked at the blog (I'll read the transcript thing in a minute), and they could be used for most characters. It doesn't mean they can hold an ongoing. I feel that the JL should always have one member in the team (Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, or whoever) that is a B-Lister and can't hold their own ongoing or movie.

#7 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: That is a lot of Leaguers on book. Go big or go home, right? I imagine it would be a weekly title like 52.

Anyhoo, I'd buy a Cyborg ongoing. It would generate a lot of interest. People didn't think Aquaman could hold an ongoing til last year. In the words of Grant Morrisson, "Any character can be an A-Lister."

#8 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: That's because most people treat Aquaman like a joke, not knowing a thing about the guy.

#9 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Roster

Superman(leader)

Batman

Wonder Woman

Hal Jordan

The Flash(Barry Allen)

Green Arrow

Aquaman

#10 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997: Love that Green Arrow is there.

#11 Edited by darkman61288 (718 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman the de facto leader

Wonder woman

Superman the public leader

Zatanna

GL

Flash Wally West

Martian Manhunter

The story is the Centre from New Fontier. It attacks the Earth the League forms to stop it. However there have been a prequel series just with the trinity meeting for the first time a month before the attack. They have to fight Ra's, Circe, and Lex.

#12 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: Sounds awesome.

#13 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have made the Justice League more akin to a highly organized super-human militia with a clear structure and hierarchy.

All members of the League would be said to belong to “The Pantheon.” This Pantheon would be broken into 12 divisions, with each division head belonging acting as the commanding field officers and general council, known as “The Olympians.” Of these Twelve, three are members of the executive council, known as “The Trinity.” The breakdown is as follows:

1. Superman – Head of the Metropolis Marvels, including Superboy and Supergirl
  2. Batman – Head of the Gotham Knights, including Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, and Huntress
  3. Wonder Woman – Head of the Amazon Sisters, including Donna (of) Troy and Wonder Girl
  4. Green Lantern – Head of the Emerald Warriors, including Guy Garner, Kyle Rayner, and Simon Baz
  5. The Flash – Head of the Scarlet Speedsters, including Kid Flash (Wally West) and Impulse (Bart Allen)
  6. Aquaman – Head of the New Others, including Mera, Aqualad (Jackson Hyde), the Operative, Prisoner of War, and Ya’wara
  7. Martian Manhunter – Head of the Justice League Task Force, including Animal Man, Blue Beatle (Ted Kord), Booster Gold, and Captain Atom
  8. Hawkman – Head of the Justice Society, including Alan Scott, Jay Garrick (who is straight), the Atom, Dr. Fate, Powergirl, Stargirl, and Hawkgirl
  9. Green Arrow – Head of the Archers, including Black Canary and Arsenal
  10. Captain Marvel – Head of the Marvel Family, including Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr.
  11. Cyborg – Head of the Teen Titans, including Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven
  12. Firestorm – Head of the Justice League Black, including Steel, Batwing, John Stewart, and Black Lightning

Altogether there are 52 members of the Justice League

Among the twelve Olympians their order here represents their rank with respect to one another, especially while in the field or in active battle. Superman Serves as the Chairman, Batman the Vice Chairman, and Wonder Woman as the Secretary.

Outside of the Justice League are entirely separate organizations such as the Superman Squad, Batman, Inc., and the Legion of Superheroes.

#14 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@RideASpaceCowboy: Sounds very cool.

#15 Posted by Sufferthorn (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm....I would've kept everything the same, and if my writers couldn't get sales i'd hire new writers to do the job.

#16 Posted by drgnx (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon

• Superman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Green Lantern (Hal)
  • The Flash (Barry)
  • Aquaman
  • Cyborg (upgraded though)

Batman has his whole Bat-family to deal with, if it takes you're whole team to look after 1 or 2 cities, the world is too big for you. especially when you have Batman Inc to look after too. =P

#17 Edited by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Superman
  • Batman
  • Wonder Woman
  • The Flash
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Zatanna
#18 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have made the book more cinematic and gone with Ivan Reis from the start.'

I also would use one of the following two rosters:

#19 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: I LOVE that idea. It's perfect and the best I've seen so far.

@lilben42: Cool. No Aquaman, but still cool. Like Zatanna.

@Superdork: Cool.

#20 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Just reprinted Morrison's JLA. It's a million times better than anything Johns and co are capable of. 

Otherwise;

• Batman
  • Superman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)
  • Flash (Wally West)
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Aquaman
  • Hawkgirl

The first threat would NOT involve Darkseid. As bringing him in so early is just idiotic. Probably use a variation of the Injustice Gang. Something like Vandal Savage, Metallo, Clayface, Cheetah, Hector Hammond, Mirror Master, Gentleman Ghost, etc... Easy to come up with a gang.

#21 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn: Hate the idea of JLA. It wouldn't be rebooting anything and would just be stuff people have read before.

I love the actual rebooting idea.

#22 Posted by marvel123 (369 posts) - - Show Bio

i would have used john stewart as the green lantern......i don't believe he's a rip-off or a sidekick for hal ( like some ppl say)........he's just 1 of many GL's.

i'd leave cyborg in the teen titans, where he had a better role than just a means of transportation

maybe keep martian manhunter............tho i do see how ppl think that mm is sometimes overshadowed by other powerhouses like supes and WW and intelects such as batman

#23 Posted by lilben42 (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: I always thought there should be two girls in the justice league.

#24 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvel123: I agree with you on Cyborg. And I like both Hal and John, so I never really care which GL someone has.

@lilben42: Makes sense. There probably should be.

#25 Posted by marvel123 (369 posts) - - Show Bio

did any of you, like the team in the justice league animated series : bats, supes, ww, flash, hawk girl, gl, and mm

#26 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvel123: I did like the team. I kept wondering the entire series why they chose Hawkgirl over Aquaman (although Aquaman wasn't impressive at all on the show), but after watching Starrcrossed, I had no problem with Hawkgirl on the League in that show.

#27 Posted by roboadmiral (538 posts) - - Show Bio

Starting Line-up: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Hal), Flash (Barry), Aquaman, Martian Manhunter. I like the traditional founders and don't think it's a formula that needs messing with, but that's just me. There would be more characters added in the future.

Premise: Each of the individual heroes would have been active for a significant amount of time before the formation of the League. None would have worked together previously, and would have, at best, professional rivalries. Each has developed a rather unpleasant reputation to the others. Superman would be known for infringing on others territory and meddling in affairs not concerning him. Batman for brutality and often insinuated insanity. Wonder Woman is considered to be short-tempered and self-righteous by the others. etc. You get the idea. They don't think terribly highly of each other.

The usual for these things is that aliens invade and they have to team up to stop the invasion. In this the earth would be pulled into a parallel dimension and none of the heroes are able to stop the rapid conquest of Earth by this dimension's inhabitants. The heroes are forced to cooperate, liberate Earth, and return it to its proper dimension. The heroes would learn that the others aren't quite as bad as each of them thought and see the value of working together when big problems arise. It would be less official than the League is usually handled with membership cards and government liaisons. More of a we'll-be-there-when-you-need-us type of thing.

#28 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral: Sounds amazing. I love it.

#29 Posted by roboadmiral (538 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Thank you.

#30 Posted by consolemaster001 (4937 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg is overrated

Batman (Leader)

Superman

Wonder Woman

Aquaman

Green lantern (Hal)

Flash (Wally)

Martian Manhunter

Green Arrow

Hawkman

Dr Mid-Nite (why doesn't anybody use him ?)

Captain Marvel

That would be my expanded team. The first 7 are the founding members

#31 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer to start with only 5 founding members : Supes, Bats, Diana, Barry, Hal. For a first villain, maybe the Amazo army.

#32 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: I agree with Cyborg! That alone made me like your roster. Plus it's still cool even without the Cyborg comment.

#33 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Martian Manhunter's back story ties into the story. In the new timeline, all the Martians were wiped out when Darkseid invaded Mars. J'onn escaped to Earth, and has lived there for years in secret.

I like this story concept. Sounds like a really interesting idea, but I would have kept Cyborg and Batman on the team as well.

@Captain13 said:

I would have given Cyborg an ongoing series at the start of the reboot and made him 5 years older.

Here's another good idea. I would have made kept Cyborg's origin story the same, but I would keep it separate from the Justice League origin story. Perhaps putting it instead in a Cyborg ongoing series.

@OutlawRenegade: I like the idea of there being no leader in the beginning, and then like in Young Justice the Justice League would nominate and vote for a leader and they would vote for new members to join. Also, I would revamp Justice League International so that it wouldn't be this group of wanna-be Justice Leaguers. To me the wanna-be label in part, killed the series. You see it in the comic and in the Batman The Brave and the Bold animated series.

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

I would have made the Justice League more akin to a highly organized super-human militia with a clear structure and hierarchy.

All members of the League would be said to belong to “The Pantheon.” This Pantheon would be broken into 12 divisions, with each division head belonging acting as the commanding field officers and general council, known as “The Olympians.” Of these Twelve, three are members of the executive council, known as “The Trinity.” The breakdown is as follows:

1. Superman – Head of the Metropolis Marvels, including Superboy and Supergirl
  2. Batman – Head of the Gotham Knights, including Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, and Huntress
  3. Wonder Woman – Head of the Amazon Sisters, including Donna (of) Troy and Wonder Girl
  4. Green Lantern – Head of the Emerald Warriors, including Guy Garner, Kyle Rayner, and Simon Baz
  5. The Flash – Head of the Scarlet Speedsters, including Kid Flash (Wally West) and Impulse (Bart Allen)
  6. Aquaman – Head of the New Others, including Mera, Aqualad (Jackson Hyde), the Operative, Prisoner of War, and Ya’wara
  7. Martian Manhunter – Head of the Justice League Task Force, including Animal Man, Blue Beatle (Ted Kord), Booster Gold, and Captain Atom
  8. Hawkman – Head of the Justice Society, including Alan Scott, Jay Garrick (who is straight), the Atom, Dr. Fate, Powergirl, Stargirl, and Hawkgirl
  9. Green Arrow – Head of the Archers, including Black Canary and Arsenal
  10. Captain Marvel – Head of the Marvel Family, including Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr.
  11. Cyborg – Head of the Teen Titans, including Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven
  12. Firestorm – Head of the Justice League Black, including Steel, Batwing, John Stewart, and Black Lightning

Altogether there are 52 members of the Justice League

Among the twelve Olympians their order here represents their rank with respect to one another, especially while in the field or in active battle. Superman Serves as the Chairman, Batman the Vice Chairman, and Wonder Woman as the Secretary.

Outside of the Justice League are entirely separate organizations such as the Superman Squad, Batman, Inc., and the Legion of Superheroes.

This really sounds like a really awesome idea. Reminds me of anime Bleach's 13 Court Guard Squads. I guess that would make Superman the head captain. The one thing I would change is I'd make one group comprised of the characters from Justice League Dark, lead by Dr. Fate or Zatanna's father. Basically a group of magic users. And the Titan's would include one of the Robins. And for #12 I'd make Black Lighting the leader.

#34 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

Add this to the ideas I pointed out in the previous post.

Founders

• Superman
  • Batman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Flash
  • Green Lantern
  • Aquaman
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Cyborg
  • Sandman (David Hall) aka Dream of the Endless (behind the scenes)

Why was it founded?

For several decades the entity known as Dream of the Endless was trapped on earth in the body of Wesley Dodds aka The Sandman. There had always been paranormal/supernatural/superpowered activity on earth, but humanity had remained blissfully unaware. Essentially their consciousness was dormant and thus remained unaware of what was going on around them. Dream of the Endless prolonged stay on earth had a ripple effect on humanity that allowed their consciousness to "awaken".

Basically I'm using Sandman to explain why there is an substantial increase superhuman activity in the last century. You see this increase mentioned in alot of the DCnU comics, but there isn't an explanation as to why it is happening or as to why humanity has become aware of what is happening around them.

During his time on earth Dream of the Endless through Wesley Dodds crusaded along side the rest of the Justice Society in an attempt to negate the effects of his presence. He thought that once he left the planet the effects of his presence would dissipate and humanity's consciousness would go back to sleep, becoming dormant again, but it didn't. So now Dream of the Endless came back to earth in the form of Daniel Hall in order to fix his mistake by covertly creating the Justice League to protect humanity from the threats created by their awareness. It's kind of like an Adam and Eve eats the apple type tale.

I really like Geoff Johns DCnU origins so I wouldn't change it, but instead I'd create a type of prequel. An origin story that happened before the origin story, so to speak. The basic idea is that the Endless are responsible for the creation of the Justice League, specifically Dream of the Endless aka The Sandman (Daniel Hall). The basic idea is that Daniel Hall seeks to continue the legacy of Wesley Dodds. Wesley Dodds is the original Sandman who acted as the avatar of Dream of the Endless when Dream was trapped on earth. Wesley Dodds used to be in the Justice Society. Daniel Hall, the current avatar of Dreams of the Endless, feels the need to honor the legacy of his predecessor by creating a new version of the Justice Society which in turn would be the Justice League. So prior to the creation of the Justice League, Dream of the Endless brought each of the Justice League founders into "The Dreaming" during their sleep where he would use dreams to inspire them to come together and create the Justice League. Upon waking, each of the founders (except Martian Manhunter) would forget the dream, but they would be hit by the unconscious compulsion to meet together during a crisis, in Geoff Johns origin story, the invasion of Darkseid arc. So to sum it up, the Justice League was created in The Dreaming by The Sandman and the other founding members The Endless, Dream of the Endless, The Dreaming, etc. are characters and places that originate from DC's Vertigo comics.

The book that the Justice League is named after.

• Sandman aka Dream of the Endless "oversees the realm of dreams and imagination ("The Dreaming") and regulates dreams and inspiration." Because of this I think it makes sense that the "inspiration" for the creating the JL originate from him. Plus Sandman was one of DC Comics original founding characters so symbolically I think it makes sense to include him.
  • Martian Manhunter is one of the original founding members of the JL in previous incarnations of the JL, so I think it makes sense to include him. Basically Martian Manhunter was at the battle where the JL came together psychically influencing each JL member making sure they come together at the right spot.Martian Manhunter acts as a proxy for Dream. After MM would wipe everyone's memory causing him to forget he was there.
  • I think @RideASpaceCowboy has the right idea. I might do my own version of what he's doing as well, making each founding Leaguer a leader of his own division of the Justice League. These divisions would lead to spin-off Justice League books and other team books.
  • I like the idea of there being no leader in the beginning, and then like in Young Justice the Justice League would nominate and vote for a leader and they would vote for new members to join.
  • Like in Young Justice, The Hall of Justice would be the public face of the League. The Watchtower would be the true covet operating base of the league, designed by Superman using his superintelligence and built by Superman's Kryptonian robots. Either that or it's a space station from the Legion of Superheroes future that time travels to the past.
#35 Posted by consolemaster001 (4937 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: @TheCannon said:

@consolemaster001: I agree with Cyborg! That alone made me like your roster. Plus it's still cool even without the Cyborg comment.

Yeah cyborg's a cool character and all but he isn't good enough to replace THE FREAKIN MARTIAN MANHUNTER and also i don't he deserves all the praise he's getting in the fanbase. I'm all for younger heroes being in the big leagues but cyborg should have been in the teen titans instead.

#36 Edited by Black_Claw (2883 posts) - - Show Bio

Founding Members:

1. Superman

2.Batman

3. Wonder Woman

4. Hal Jordan

5. Barry Allen

6. Aquaman

7. Martian Manhunter

8. Vixen

Justice League of America

1. Icon

2. Cat woman

3. Katana

4. Simon Baz

5. Vibe

6. Hawkman

7. Star girl

8. Green Arrow

Extended Members of the Justice League

Alpha Squad

1. Booster Gold

2. John Stewart

3. Captain Atom

4. Element Woman

5. Aztek

Beta Squad

1. Dr. Fate

2. Blue Devil

3. Atom

4. Black Lightning

5. Red Tornado

Titan Squad

1. Nightwing

2. Starfire

3. Beast Boy

4. Raven

5. Cyborg

Gamma Squad

1. Shazam

2. Hawkwoman

3. Plastic Man

4. Fire

5. Ice

#37 Edited by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

I would get Waid, Morrison, Rucka, and Palmiotti together in one room and give them a year to plot and script a 12 issue origin tale that is as epic as Year One or Birthright.

Then I would let Ivan Reis draw the book and give him as much time as he needs to draw all twelve issues.

We would get the most badass, epic, heartwarming story ever!

#38 Posted by Z3RO180 (6292 posts) - - Show Bio

I would start by makeing some tea.....then have an explosion happen while I am drinking the tea.

#39 Edited by VonBarras (18 posts) - - Show Bio

My team is more of a black ops team but is still a force that could take Darksied

Batman

Red Arrow

Hawkman

Black lightning

Red Tornado

Atom Smasher

Kyle Rayner

Raven

Martian Manhunter

and Flash

#40 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For a JL origin, I prefer Supes, Bats, WW, Barry and Hal vs Starro. Starro would be a humanoid alien who uses starfish like creatures to mind control subjects. Starro would invade with his numerous subjects.

#41 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13 said:

This.

And this:

I would have two books.

"5 Years Ago" Roster (Self Contained Stories for Young, Unsteady, and New Readers/Book 1)

Writers: Revolves Every 5 Issues Between Scott Snyder, Gail Simone, Jeff Lemire, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Jeph Loeb, Mark Waid, Brian K. Vaughn, Kieron Gillen, Rick Remender, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, Darwyn Cooke, Brian Azzarello, Jan Van Meter, and other big name writers.

Artists: Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato, Ed McGuinness, Cully Hamner, and Nicola Scott.

No Official Leader

Current Roster (Serialized Stories for More Serious Fans/Book 2)

Writers: Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Christos Gage, Jeff Lemire

Artists: Ivan Reis, Bryan Hitch, Adam Kubert, Kenneth Rocafort, Nicola Scott, and other big name artists.

Leaders

Expanded Team

From: http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america/65-31815/whats-your-justice-league-dream-team/92-738033/#46

well when ya put that way

#42 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice Lord esque outfits

#43 Edited by Justthatkid (2543 posts) - - Show Bio

@thecannon: Makes sense for character support with a bunch of a listers around you you could get attention.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.