Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

How to Write and Film Justice League

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OutlawRenegade

This is a guide for comic writers, video game designers, television producers, and movie makers:

Keep the Team Small

No Caption Provided

Make the threat credible

No Caption Provided

Break the team up to fight several threats

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Cast well

Write well

Direct well

Don't skimp on the humor, gravitas, and drama

Show Awesome Cameos

No Caption Provided
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Twentyfive

Cool. Agreed.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

I'd add one note: Don't bother with origins and don't try to justify that superheroes exist. Say "superheroes exist, here we go".

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#4  Edited By TheCannon

Roster is horrible. Get rid of Cyborg, and add Manhunter & Aquaman.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crom-Cruach

No Hal, make the lantern John or Kyle

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NerdsFTW

@Crom-Cruach said:

No Hal, make the lantern John or Kyle

Make it John.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

Add Aquaman and you roster is fine the way it is. The threat should be credible but with the Avengers major movie villain being Thanos Darkseid doesn't seem like the right choice.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nightwing4

I agree that Darksied is way too Thanos-y for a film that would come out slightly after Avengers 2..... Starro would never work on screen.....(Giant Star isn't much worse that Giant Cloud from FF: ROTSS or GL) So Better make it Brainiac.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WDW

We don't need Batman.... If you must have him make him a supporting character. OR make him come in just at the end to do something heroic.... BUT DON"T have the movie follow his life story in any way. Everyone knows it!

Avatar image for monarch_chronicle
    Monarch_Chronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

OR u could lead into the movie with a worlds finest movie thus establishing both superhero's, the threat, and getting practice for writing multiple heroes.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WDW

Also as a rule you can not have more than 4 main characters.

So make it Wonder Woman, Superman, John Stewart and Flash, main characters.

The rest are all supporting

Avatar image for monarch_chronicle
    Monarch_Chronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ WDW that would work to some extent as long as their is some reason or purpose to the others not being as influential like if aquaman has to protect his kingdom, batman tries to investage (alone) and MM protects the general population while the main four fight

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By darth_brendroid

I'd say go with Starro. He was the first villain the JLA faced going by issues and he can be done, I think. Don't treat him like he's an alien conqueror like Darkseid or Thanos; treat him like he's some Lovecraftian monstrosity from across the stars. I must stress Lovecraftian as well; he's organic, he's aquatic and he becomes horrifying because of that, not because he's an ethereal gas ball. It's how you approach the character that gives them menace; I personally think the idea of having face-hugger-esque starfishes clamped over the faces of innocents could be well done.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WDW

@Monarch_Chronicle said:

@ WDW that would work to some extent as long as their is some reason or purpose to the others not being as influential like if aquaman has to protect his kingdom, batman tries to investage (alone) and MM protects the general population while the main four fight

Yeah you would need that of course.

Batman is the easiest to take off the center stage without letting him seem useless since he has the batcave and stuff.

Aquaman is a little difficult since his home is based in the water but make him do something revelant in the movie and make him one of the main stories in the sequel or vice versa.

Personally I think the first story/movie at a minimum must focus on Wonder Woman and Superman from the perspective of making a movie with WIDE appeal.... the other 2 people they focus on is really not as important but it should not be Batman.... That would be such a WASTE. I would use Flash and Green lantern.

And of course someone has to be the comic relief.... sorry but that is probably going to be flash.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @BlackArmor

Add Aquaman and you roster is fine the way it is. The threat should be credible but with the Avengers major movie villain being Thanos Darkseid doesn't seem like the right choice.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCannon

@BlueLantern1995 said:

with the Roster being either

Superman, Batman, Green Lantern(Hal), Flash(either one), Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman

or

Superman, Batman, Green Lantern(Hal), Flash(either one), Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg

The first one.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain13

@WDW said:

And of course someone has to be the comic relief.... sorry but that is probably going to be flash.

or Hal

@WDW said:

Also as a rule you can not have more than 4 main characters.

Avengers had 6 (Cap, IM, thor, BW, Hulk, Nick.) Hawk, Maria, Coulson were secondar

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WDW

Avengers had 4 (CAP HULK THOR and IRON MAN) are the main characters. They are the ones who had to resolve there issues for the movie to progress. They drove the story. Without anyone of them you have no story. It falls apart

Hawk, Coulson, Nick, Black Widow Marina are secondary supporting cast. You can take them out and still have a story. (not a great story but it would work)

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WDW

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Its 6, without these the movie wouldn't have made it, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye(seriously is way more important than Thor...even though he was under mind control most of the time), and Black Widow. Without these 6 the movie wouldn't have made it a single minute.

Well you can say what you want but The movie clearly has 4 Protagonists (Lead Characters).... Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Cap. I have been to film school and one of the rules of script writing is no more than 4 main characters as far as the movie goes. The importance of the character in the overall avengers movie universe is meaninless in does not really apply to what I am saying. Its not a reflection on there overall value.

Good writers can cleverly disquise the no more than 4 character rule. Joss did that expertly when he flips Hawkeye into a bad guy antagonist for most of the movie. Hawkeye is not a Protagonist (main character)

Black Widow is not a lead character she is a supporting character in terms of the script. in simple terms she is the helper... she helps the main characters do what they are supposed to do. Same with fury. She does this in the subplots

Same thing they do in all superhero team movies. only maximum of 4 main characters. all the Xmen movies followed this formula XMEN (2000) only had one lead character Huge Jackman if I remember correctly

Also movie credits usually give us a hint who the main characters are. Since they almost always list the lead actors first.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WDW

They can make a Justice League Movie with 1 to 4 main characters.

I would do it with no more than 3 main characters.... One who is Wonder Woman and one that is NOT Batman and 3 Supporting characters.

with that I would have a total of 6 members.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WDW

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Problem with DC is it has to be 7...anyway you run the lineup someone important will be forgotten if you do it otherwise.

And with Avengers, Thor is not one of the main 4 then cause, even though he had his own movie, if you remove him, the movie would last longer than lets say removing Black Widow...seriously only reason he was needed was because the villains was Loki.

Now the main 4 would have to be: Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Batman. Martian Manhunter would be the Hulk of the movie...having the same basic setup.

having 7 members is probably not going to happen in the first movie. and if they do attempt it then at least 3 of them will be supporting.....You can build a JLA franchise without including all 7 members in the same movie. Even the comics dont focus on all 7 members at a time. They break it up

Well screen writing is not an exact science but Thor was a main character precisely because Loki was his brother and he had to deal with that issue. Yes without it he really would have no stake in the movie at all. But honestly, that is the reason why its very difficult to write a movie with more than 4 main characters because it will either make your movie too confusing or dilute the other main characters rolls.

The reason why I would remove Batman from being a main character is because we know his story very well. We don't have to go back and explain it again.

Batman As a Main Character/Protagonist, we would have to develop a story that is driven by his actions as well as the other 3 main characters. Sure it can be done but why not leave the 4th slot open to someone else like flash. Batman can be a supporting character and still easily be the draw for the movie if need be.... then make him a main character in the sequal or something.

Martian Manhunter....Well adding him as the MAIN CHARACTER /protaganist will limit your options for the movie in my opinion. He is a virtually an unknown add to that you would certainly need to add a back story for him and if you do that then you need to pretty much base the movie around his existance. It just cant be done in my opinion with a 4 main character Justice league setup. In my opinion its immpossible to make Manhunter a lead character among 3 others. Just not going to happen.

Being in a supporting role is not a bad thing. Manhunter can not be the Hulk either because Manhunter has no Solo movie. Everything we needed to know about the hulk was in his solo movie so no need for a lot of character development that we would need for MMH in a Solo JLA movie. If DC did the solo movies first and MMH got one then sure put him in.

The avengers was really a hybrid Sequel.(it would be weak if the solo movies did not exist) It worked because we where not bogged down by back stories. That was all taken care of in the solo movies. That will not be the case for Justice league. If I was DC I would make a Justice League movie with no more then 3 lead actors and a few cameos and some supporting actors.... That way we can build up the characters a bit better. Cramming in 4 leads and 3 other costars into the justice league movie is going to spoil it. and I am sure they are not going to do that.

They may even have 1 lead character and the rest supporting characters like XMEN (2000) but I doubt it.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WDW

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Martian Manhunter as a main character could work and their are 2 ways to do it.

1. Have him have his own movie. Despite common belief he could hold his own in one. The origin in the Justice League cartoons could be extended to 2 1/2 hrs with ease. Just have most of his story(at least 1/2) focusing on the war and the rest be his time on Earth as Detective J'onn Jonz as he fights one of the remaining Martian enemies or something like that.
    2. The 2nd option is doing it exactly like Justice League New Frontier. The Villain wasn't based around him yet the story focused on him a lot...

When I said they have to have 7 members that doesn't mean they have to focus on them, they could be people you just see. Or you could run it like Justice league New Frontier did...

Yeah if MMH has a solo movie then great put him in the starting lineup of a JLA movie. I would have no issue with that at all.

Doing it like New Frontier I dont think it would work out because you still need to give manhunter a solid back story. Personally I think it worked in the New Frontier because everyone is already familiar with the character. A lot of movie goers won't be I think.

My suggestion to get MMH into the first Justice League movie is for him to Narrate the movie from his point of view. like the guy in the 300. which will lead up to him being in a sequel or having an action sequence at the end or something.

The only other suggestion that I have is having him be the unwilling powerful villian in the movie who at the end joins the league

Manhunter is a difficult only insomuch as he is not widely known and he is not as popular as the others. once you get over that hump I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being the lead of a mainstream DC comic movie.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WDW

@BlueLantern1995: yeah I agree... I mean I like MMH and I would put him in a movie before Aquaman flash Green Lantern and Batman if I had to choose one of them. But I would hesitate to develop a story around him as one of the main protagonists for the first movie. Even the first episode of The Justice League animated series did not start with MMH as a main character. Superman and Batman where the main characters. In the end MMH was finally introduced. Next Episode MMH became a main character as well as Wonder Woman. Flash John Stewart and HawkGirl where supporting characters.

I still think the best thing in a JLA movie with regard to MMH is keep him in a supporting role. Then bring him out for the sequel if DC is not doing the solo movie thing with him. Regardless MMH will be a very hard sell to the general public. I dont see Warner Bros authorizing the 200 million dollar budget needed to do a good MMH movie before he is even mainstream popular. A supporting Role in the JLA could being mainstream fans for MMH which could lead to a solo movie or a Lead in the JLA movie

I like the narration idea also. He is the only one in the Justice League that could pull that off.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WDW

@BlueLantern1995 said:

You know my dream cast(but no one I knows likes it) is Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Cyborg...now that I would love to see so guess who didn't appear in the lineup? I guess I am Batman Fans' most wanted now.

Honestly I like it and stretched out over a trilogy or something you can even add Batman :P I don't think long term you can leave out Batman. Manhunter will get his shot in the JLA movie universe I am sure.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BatteredArmor

@darth_brendroid said:

I'd say go with Starro. He was the first villain the JLA faced going by issues and he can be done, I think. Don't treat him like he's an alien conqueror like Darkseid or Thanos; treat him like he's some Lovecraftian monstrosity from across the stars. I must stress Lovecraftian as well; he's organic, he's aquatic and he becomes horrifying because of that, not because he's an ethereal gas ball. It's how you approach the character that gives them menace; I personally think the idea of having face-hugger-esque starfishes clamped over the faces of innocents could be well done.

Agreed Starro as Cthulhu would be amazing

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrMiracle77

So our advice is pretty much "Don't do a bad job."

This is why filmmakers rarely take fan suggestions seriously. 

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WDW

@MrMiracle77 said:

So our advice is pretty much "Don't do a bad job." This is why filmmakers rarely take fan suggestions seriously.

LOL yeah they really should not need to take any fan's suggestions. I think its counter to the whole point of writing a good script. Any writer who need to take suggestions from fans should not be writing in my opinion.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By JamesKM716

I'd have the roster be: Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, The Flash (Barry), Green Lantern (Hal), Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter.

I'd put the focus on Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman. (Hal and Batman both have had their own movies, Flash can be comic relief).

I'd have the villain be someone human, or at least, someone not doing an Alien Invasion. I'd rather it be Vandal Savage personally. You could even adapt Justice League: Doom/Tower of Babel. Though i wouldn't actually adapt tower of babel's whole end language thing cause i find that lame. but the whole use Batman's techinques to defeat the League. Then have then fired Batman from the league.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My roster for a live action film in 2015 would be: Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash (Barry), Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, and Cyborg

I don't include any Green Lantern in this list for a few reasons. 1) Power-wise, he's not necessary. The team has enough power. Its never really touched on tech till recently and with Cyborg on the team in the comics, new readers will be expecting to see him in the film. 2) Ever since I started reading comics in 1987 at the age of four I've never understood why a Green Lantern, who has whole galaxies to protect, can possibly focus on a single team so much. It just contradicts what is presented of the Green Lantern Corps so much. 3) The Green Lantern movie was horrible, and while you can have a different actor you still don't really want to associate the JL movie with the GL movie. At least Marvel had a good Hulk film to make up for Ang Lee's prior to Avengers. 4) It may not mean much to most readers but I like the fact DC has brought more diversity to the team by introducing Cyborg and that's something that should be respected in film as well.

Villain: This is a tough one because the Justice League has so many but you also don't want the film to mimic The Avengers too much. Because of that I don't think Darkseid or any other big alien threat should be in this film. Instead use a combination of Starro, Professor Ivo, and Amazo:

- Humanity has begun sending more and more expeditions to Mars for study and planet mapping. Professor Ivo has been a key contributor to the program as the robotic probes he designs are years ahead of anything on Earth. One of these probes finds a partially covered structure, the first one ever found on the planet. Further probes are sent and eventually uncover what appears to be a burial/preservation chamber, with a collection of creatures contained within (Starros). The creatures are brought back to Earth for study.

- Breaking into the structure and removing the Starros triggers J'onn J'onzz to be brought out of suspended animation from deeper in the structure. He had placed himself there voluntarily to ensure the creatures that had destroyed his race would never get the chance to do so again. Discovering the creatures gone, he follows the probes trails back to Earth on a ship located in the structure. However, the long centuries of decay cause the ship to malfunction and he crashes in the Rocky Mountains and is captured by the US Military while unconscious. Basically this is all echoing his origin from the DCAU Justice League series.

- During the study of the Starros (which the scientists believe dead),they attacks and end up attaching themselves to Professor Ivo and other facility personnel, taking control of him and learning about the Earth and gaining knowledge of the various superpowered individuals that inhabit it. This is where non-comic book readers will learn about Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman as they may not have a solo movie to their name yet. Only a handful of people escape the attack, two of which are Silas and Victor Stone (Victor having come to the facility to get a tour and spend time with his father). The group is able to take shelter in a secondary part of the facility but Victor is gravely injured from the attack. To save him Silas convinces the others to help him replace Victor's damaged body with technology from the probes. This aspect of the film isn't touched upon till later.

- Using the facility personnel and Ivo's current and future designs, the Starro's have a robotic army built to attack Earth's major cities and draw out the attention of the heroes. The first attacks are only to gain an understanding of the heroes and what their abilities are. These observations are then used to create a series of androids that Ivo's notes dubbed Amazo's (rather than their just being one with a huge power set the movie could have a few dozen that work in concert to take down League members) to boost the power of their robot forces and take on the heroes through coordinated attacks.

Like the DCAU episode, MM can help bring the heroes together by telepathically contacting Superman and being freed from the military's facility. We then get a quick backstory of the Starro's and MM before the rest of the heroes are brought together for a battle against a collection of Amazo's and attack probes. During this battle the attack probes suddenly fire on the Amazo's and we learn that the procedure to save Victor worked, and through his implants he is able to hack the technology the Starros are using. He uses a remaining probe to lead the League to the facility for the big, final battle (which he participates in directly rather than through the probes).

In the end the Justice League film is going to suffer a bit by not having all the major players get a solo film first. So the best thing to do is focus on only one characters origin (in this case Martian Manhunter) and with a quick set of dialog establish that all the other heroes are public and active before these events. That way the film can focus solely on the villain and big battles over backstory and exposition. This also fulfills a large scale battle that the film will need and uses the very villain first villain the team faced back in 1960.

The only reason I don't agree with using a more human threat, like Lex Luthor or Vandal Savage, is that it would probably come off too comic book-y. Even just having Ivo build Amazo to take out superheroes is a bit of a stretch. It just seems a little silly to have a human villain trying to conquer the world and so the League is formed to combat it. Too Silver Age for modern movie audiences. At the same time, a purely human threat doesn't help bring Martian Manhunter into the equation or give us a good backstory for him. Cyborg's origin may seem a bit rushed, but considering he actually gets one its more than Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman will get in the film thus helping elevate his status a bit for brand new viewers who are culturally aware of the bigger named heroes but not him.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheCannon

The main ideas are fine (keep the roster small as an example), but the roster is just horrible. Get rid of Cyborg!

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@TheCannon said:

The main ideas are fine (keep the roster small as an example), but the roster is just horrible. Get rid of Cyborg!

@TheCannon said:

You keep posting the same thing over and over...

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGraySon

@OutlawRenegade: Because its outrageous to not have MM and Aquaman. Theyre founding members.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGraySon: Who cares if they are founding members. This is the movie version of the Justice League. It does not have to match the comic books precisely. Looks at The Avengers film. Hawkeye and Black Widow weren't part of the original team. It was Ant Man and Wasp. Would you have rather had those two in the film? Personally I wouldn't.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheCannon

@OutlawRenegade said:

@TheCannon said:

@TheCannon said:

You keep posting the same thing over and over...

Your point?

@TheGraySon said:

@OutlawRenegade: Because its outrageous to not have MM and Aquaman. Theyre founding members.

Finally, someone smart enough to agree with me.

@ltbrd said:

@TheGraySon: Who cares if they are founding members. This is the movie version of the Justice League. It does not have to match the comic books precisely. Looks at The Avengers film. Hawkeye and Black Widow weren't part of the original team. It was Ant Man and Wasp. Would you have rather had those two in the film? Personally I wouldn't.

Yeah, I would. While I loved the movie, I found Hawkeye and Widow boring in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After writing my previous day post on this thread I starting thinking about one other big thing the Justice League film would need to do........change the Martian Manhunter's powers.

I know, the purists are not going to like this but hear (well, read) me out. Because Martian Manhunter will most likely be first introduced in the JL movie, having two characters with extremely similar power sets (i.e. Superman and Martian Manhunter) is going to be very confusing for new audiences and at the same time would make the character feel like a copy of Superman rather than his own unique character because audiences will already have seen the Man of Steel film.

So to make Martian Manhunter really standout and give him a proper big screen showing, I think they need to eliminate his Superman-esque powers. No super strength, speed, endurance, invulnerability, martian vision, or anything else that mimics Supe's abilities. Instead the film version of MM should only have the powers that make him truly unique within the League; self-molecular control (shapeshifting, phasing, and invisibility), telepathy, and telekinesis (and by way of that power the ability to hover and fly at descent speeds, 200-300 mph tops). The film then does a quick dialog explaining that among his people everyone can shapeshift and has at least a minimal level of telepathy and telekinesis. But because of his above average telepathy and telekinesis and training as a Manhunter (the martian equivalent of humanities Special Forces) J'onn can also phase and turn invisible as well as use his telepathy and telekinesis with much greater precision. So even amongst his kind he's unique, and thus why he survived the destruction of his race.

How does J'onn fight with this new power level. Telekinetic blasts, using objects in the environment around him, or shapeshifting his limbs to form razor sharp, diamond hard weapons. Very to the point, no flare, military style of combat.

The last change to go along with this power set.....lose the cape. Again, we want to keep him from being a Superman clone, but also a Batman clone as well. So no cape for MM. Keep his dark purple and red look with two gold circles at the collar bones (similar to military insignia on a uniform) and high neck line while simply removing the gloves. This will also benefit whoever the actor will be, as he'll only need make-up for his head and hands (rather than going with the bare torso style).

I think these changes to MM will make him unique next to the other characters and also give movie audiences that may have never heard about him a better way to understand how the martian race could be wiped out. If they kept J'onn's original powers it would be hard to sell audiences on the idea that he's the last survivor if there were others with such power levels. The comics get around this by using the telepathy plague as the source of their extinction, but the JL film should not go that route. It would be going over the line of comic book-y ideas in a mainstream film. Better to keep the explanation grounded in something viewers can instantly believe could happen rather than forcing them to throw up their hands and say "well, its a comic book movie after all". There will be plenty of those moments throughout any comic book film, so getting rid of one that can easily be replaced with a more acceptable answer (plus knowing that an entire race was wiped out of existence through force makes the reader more sympathetic to MM and what he goes through in the film) is okay.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@TheGraySon said:

That's not a good enough reason. Hank and Janet Pym founded the Avengers. Were they even mentioned in the movie? No. Did anyone care? No.

That's the way I see it, but I respect your opinions.

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGraySon

@OutlawRenegade: @ltbrd: I cared. Movie versions are never as good as the real deal. The Avengers arent as popular as the Justice League. While some of you may not like Aquaman due to ignorance and never actually picking up one of his comics, hes still very popular in the media.

TheGraySon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGraySon

@ltbrd said:

After writing my previous day post on this thread I starting thinking about one other big thing the Justice League film would need to do........change the Martian Manhunter's powers.

I know, the purists are not going to like this but hear (well, read) me out. Because Martian Manhunter will most likely be first introduced in the JL movie, having two characters with extremely similar power sets (i.e. Superman and Martian Manhunter) is going to be very confusing for new audiences and at the same time would make the character feel like a copy of Superman rather than his own unique character because audiences will already have seen the Man of Steel film.

So to make Martian Manhunter really standout and give him a proper big screen showing, I think they need to eliminate his Superman-esque powers. No super strength, speed, endurance, invulnerability, martian vision, or anything else that mimics Supe's abilities. Instead the film version of MM should only have the powers that make him truly unique within the League; self-molecular control (shapeshifting, phasing, and invisibility), telepathy, and telekinesis (and by way of that power the ability to hover and fly at descent speeds, 200-300 mph tops). The film then does a quick dialog explaining that among his people everyone can shapeshift and has at least a minimal level of telepathy and telekinesis. But because of his above average telepathy and telekinesis and training as a Manhunter (the martian equivalent of humanities Special Forces) J'onn can also phase and turn invisible as well as use his telepathy and telekinesis with much greater precision. So even amongst his kind he's unique, and thus why he survived the destruction of his race.

How does J'onn fight with this new power level. Telekinetic blasts, using objects in the environment around him, or shapeshifting his limbs to form razor sharp, diamond hard weapons. Very to the point, no flare, military style of combat.

The last change to go along with this power set.....lose the cape. Again, we want to keep him from being a Superman clone, but also a Batman clone as well. So no cape for MM. Keep his dark purple and red look with two gold circles at the collar bones (similar to military insignia on a uniform) and high neck line while simply removing the gloves. This will also benefit whoever the actor will be, as he'll only need make-up for his head and hands (rather than going with the bare torso style).

I think these changes to MM will make him unique next to the other characters and also give movie audiences that may have never heard about him a better way to understand how the martian race could be wiped out. If they kept J'onn's original powers it would be hard to sell audiences on the idea that he's the last survivor if there were others with such power levels. The comics get around this by using the telepathy plague as the source of their extinction, but the JL film should not go that route. It would be going over the line of comic book-y ideas in a mainstream film. Better to keep the explanation grounded in something viewers can instantly believe could happen rather than forcing them to throw up their hands and say "well, its a comic book movie after all". There will be plenty of those moments throughout any comic book film, so getting rid of one that can easily be replaced with a more acceptable answer (plus knowing that an entire race was wiped out of existence through force makes the reader more sympathetic to MM and what he goes through in the film) is okay.

I like this idea. Have MM focus on his telepathy and intangibility. Make him a support character.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@TheGraySon: I've read all of his New52 series, and I've read brightest day. He's cool, but I don't want the movie to have too many characters because then someone will get too little screen time. I firmly believe that the roster should only be 6 heroes like in Avengers. I also want the story to be based on Johns and Lee's Origin story--in which Aquaman does nothing. He's the most easily cut character from that story. Again, I respect your opinion, and I DO like Aquaman. He should get his own film and be in the sequel.

myround0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By myround0

The justice league have a lot of Heros, so I agree you have to start with the lead eight. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (John Stewart, Flash, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman. I have heard talk of Lobo, being played by the Rock. I would start the movie with Justice League members Superman, Hawkgirl, and green lantern geting beaten. In the closing moments of the battle, Batman and the rest of the crew arrive. The view the battle as Green Lantern and Hawkgirl have been beaten and Superman taken punishment at the hands of Lex who has placed his body an Amazo like android suit. Batman tells Flash, Wonder woman and J'onn J'onn to seek shelter, Flash and Wonder Woman question why not help Superman, Batman and J'onn convince them the best Help is being alive to fight another day. reluctantly Flash makes the jum to the speed force, Wonder woman makes a deal with batman she will leave the battle scene if he leaves, knowing he and J'onn will try engage in this battle after she leaves, Batman does the scouts honor thing, Wonder Woman leaves the site for her home land. Once she is clear the site Batman tells J'onn he is going to fight, J'onn asked what about the promise you made to Diana, in true Batman form says, FINGERS CROSSED. Batman and J'onn are quickly overpowered. Batman creates a smoke bomb cloud in which J'onn teleports himself and Shayera to Doctor Fate's Home where Fate and the Amazo mind shielding powers along with J'onn hides their existance on Earth. Batman and Green Lantern are aged but the power ring of Sinestro. Superman protected by the yellow sun can't be aged, lex knew this. Long before the battle Lex found a planet far away and placed a huge red shield between the planet and its sun, thus casting a red rays, and he banishes Superman to this planet, where Superman instantly starts to age, once he reaches the 129 Earth years in age, in a couple of days, his aging stops, but he learns he can still fly, but only for about a mile. he can still lift huge objects, but his stamina is only related to the emergency. Once the emergency is over Superman is only as strong as the average old man. Batman for all his valor is aged, he spends his days wondering how could Green Lantern and Superman be overpowered. In reality John is the most powerful Green Lantern he has served with, mix in Superman being the strongest being he knows, leads him to believe GL and Hawkgirl's relationship got in the way of the mission. Bats knows John's only weakness is the 24 hour charge and this battle was much less than an hour. Everytime visions flash in his head that John refused to take a shot at stopping Lex for fears he might blast Shayera, Bats tells himself John is a former marine and nothing gets in the way of the mission. On the bright side, Flash (Wally) learns a little more about his powers in the speed force, and makes frequent visits to Batman. Again Superman is trapped in space and he to gets a visit every once in a while, from Lobo, who punches Superman's lights out the first two times he visits telling Superman he knew this day would come. However after the second time he tells Superman, I want to help you fighting you when you are old is no fun. GL is torn man. He knows he let the team down, and while that is a problem he wishes he could change, he would not ever endanger Shayera. In his mind he did the right thing, its just the outcome, him loosing her and not knowing where she is that makes him ache. The legion knows he is the one being who could hurt them so on a routine bases they send a visitor to make sure the ring hasn't return. Little do they know a blue ring of hope has planted itself inside his body. The Green Ring never left John for just like the Blue ring the green ring lay dormant inside Johns body, but it is not until the Indigo ring enters his body that he starts to get visions of Shayera's location. While John has three rings in his body the power of two alight. The Indy ring and the blue ring. The indy ring allows him to teleport without being detected. John leaves a carbon copy of his old self behind, while he returns to his younger age and goes to Fate's house, at Fate's place he demands to see Shayera, because he knws she is there. Fate and Amazo quickly smash john, who refused to leave without seeing Shayera, J'onn hears the battle and teleports himself to the fight. He gets between John, Fate and the Andriod. He calmly confirms Shayera is there, but goes on to say, your dead body is not what she wants to see. Please Leave John. Dejected, John knows it is time for him to leave. At least he knows she is alive. John gets a visit from Flash. Flash tells him about all the pain he has caused. He tells him what Batman thinks. He says, Batman can't see how you and Superman was beaten, at that point John confess, Batman's visions are correct. Flash begans to get angry and as he is about to Smack GL, Sinestro shows up so flash Jumps back to the Speed force to avoid detection. Old GL looks weakyet deep inside his body knowing Shayera is alive the green Ring begans activation. Oan guardians know the Blue ring and the Green ring could be deadly, but John is fueled by love so the polar opposite happens, His power is doubled, and John gains full power of all three rings and is also known as the Ring Master. John know he has to repair what he caused, but before he does it he has to see Shayera, he often talks with her telepathically. he has shared with er what happen, and she forgives him. Once agan he teleports himself to fate's village, this time fate can feel his energy, and as Amazo engages GL Shayera says stop. I will see him. Fate, J'onn, and Amazo talk where fate and J'onn agrees the power of love John was feeling would have lead to the deaths of all three had Shayera not arrived. Shayera and John spend the night together. The next morning they talk after a conversation John says he will do what she wants and it starts now. John informs fate shayera will be leaving his place for Oa. John teleports her to Oa, where she get some modified updates of which she gets a White ring planted inside her DNA. The white ring enables the individual to take a blast die briefly and then return to life. which is what GL has fitted inside Hawkgirl, Batman, and Wonder Woman. (The white ring will do more for Hawkgirl then the other members sent to OA. Although she is given a battle mode which allows he skin to be of Nth metal, She is given mind over matter powers, her mace can only be wield by her and GL unless she allows someone else to use it. Enhanced vision. The ring allows her to shapeshift, and make construct out of her body parts to include add limbs, much like what all Green lanterns can do. Batman is fitted with white ring again it gives eternal life and his powers are updated. He is given infrared vision, he can see heat images even invisible bodies that have heat patterns. He can also cook you much like Superman's heat vision. His strength is enhandes a lot. He can fly, walk on ceilings, the biggest adds from Oa are the mental powers Batman is given his mind is the most complex ever wittnessed in a human so oa installs it data base inside Bat's head, and he is given the mind powers that allows him to stow every weapon he needs inside his utility belt, ensureing he never runs out of ammo. Wonder Woman is the most awesome wonam structure Oa has ever seen. Her Lasso is removed from her outer wear and placed inside her mind. The star inside her tiara can projrct a variety of beams to include heat and cold. She to is fitted with the White ring for default purposes. Her bracelet become the energy auro around her body.) Now GL leaves behind to old copies one of himself and one of old Bats. Flash shows up he has a go at GL, once he finishes John tells him the team is on Oa. To avoid leaving a heat pattern John teleports himself and flash there. Upon arrival Flash is given a new uniform on that would allow his to use his top speed when needed and still protect his human insides. Oa does a few bone structure replace ments on Flash making him easily the fastest thing in this universe, to include time and thought. The team heads out to find Superman Flash remenbers Aquaman told him Superman was trapped on a planet with a manufactured Red Sun. Batman's new mind can knows where it is. A white Ring is sent to the deepest waters of earth where it plants itself inside Aquaman. The ring gives him life, but it also allows his to channel water through his body and control any body of water anywhere his telepathic powers over sea creatures are enhanced. Though he will not be needed in the battle. He is a future member of the Justice league. What Aquaman has done is allowed Americans and Europeans to build land areas across the Atlantic. The League finds Superman and destroys the Red shield, However, undoing superman's aging process would take ten years, now John stewart understands why he was also fitted with the Yellow energy of Sinestro's ring. He givens Superman and Huge blast of the Yellow beam in the form of Yellow Kryptonie thus returning Superman to full youth and power in less than 3 days. Superman also feels different as is he is evolving. Later he will learn in battle he has battle teleportation range. The league returns to Earth for a battle with a Legion of Doom that has grown in strength once it was Luthor and Sinestro, and Killer Forst, Now there is Bizarro, Grodd, Grundy, Giganta, Star Sapphire, Manta, Riddler and Two-face...The final battle begans...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.