How do you feel if Icon or Static were to replace cyborg

• 57 results
#1 Edited by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

How WOULD you feel if Icon or Static were to replace cyborg

cyborg is a good character and all, but he's just not in league with any of the other JL. he does have some cool features (connection with tech), but if i they wanted diversity by including an african american on the team, at least let him/her to be super cool. personality wise cyborg is awesome, power wise, i'm not so impressed.

i know everyone is saying that icon is just a superman rippoff..and they don't need another supermanlike character on the team....... ......but i say the more the merrier, it only provides opportunity for stronger villians.

add a few years to static, if the issue of age arises.............just show him as a powerful character (using his electromagnetic powers)

i'd even be happy if they used john stewart as green lantern instead

again cyborg is a cool character, but i'm just not satisfied with his power level...........in the presence of coleagues that can move planets and fly to the sun, run faster than light, and posses omniscient-like detective skills, ect.......it makes cyborg look like such a B-list character

#2 Posted by CBninja (168 posts) - - Show Bio

He's there cause they need a plausible way to transport the team.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@CBninja said:

Correction: They need a plausible way to transport Batman and Aquaman. Everyone else can either fly or run to the destination very quickly.

#4 Posted by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

just my random thoughts, i hope i didn't offend any cyborg fans, but thanks for the response

#5 Posted by DEGRAAF (7896 posts) - - Show Bio

@CBninja said:

This.

I like Icon but there is no reason for him on the team. He is just another version of Superman. Plus with Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman already on the team then the looks of Captain Marvel on the team they have plenty of power houses already.

I have always been a fan of Static but i always felt he needed to be on a younger team. I know he can have great diversity with his powers but i think the problem is they are hard to define. Obviously its easy to say he can manipulate electricity and magnetism but i feel like until someone clearly defines the limits of his powers he would be to hard to use on a team. Can he pull a building a part by pulling all the iron out of it just by using his powers? Can he absorb the total energy from a hydro electric plant? Can he only use his powers for so long until he gets worn out or drained of energy?

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

Current Cyborg is pretty damn powerful and isnt a lame Superman rip-off like Icon or underage like Static. He also adds diversity in themes, powers etc not just race.

#7 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't like it.

1) I really like Cyborg

2) Icon is a cheap knock off of Superman. You don't need two Supermaen. You only need one.

3) Static is cooler than Icon, but he's just a combination of Spider-man and Black Lightning. Sure he brings humor, but so does Green Lantern. And Static is too young, so he would have to be aged.

4) Both characters are owned by Milestone, who lease those characters to DC. They have stopped leasing Milestone characters to DC because they have done a really crappy job on the Static book. Furthermore, it's expensive for DC to use these characters in other media.

5) Cyborg is awesome!

#8 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, cyborg has awesome powers, but Geoff Johns hasn't written them to be awesome. I mean, can you imagine if he opened a boom tube inside someone? Or what if he used their attacks against them by boom tubing them back? He could shoot his cannon at any angle by using boom tubes. He could also BFR opponents across the galaxy into the source wall.

His cannons can disintegrate enemies. In Flashpoint, he was super-agile. I'm sure that he's super strong.

And he's connected to every computer on Earth, which means that he should be able to summon missiles from around the world or shoot lasers from the watchtower. He can probably use unmanned aircraft to elp in in battle like in that scene in Transformers when the solders were fighting in the desert.

Also, he has access to the B-Maze and A-Maze operating systems which means he could theoretically mimic powers. He also has a white dwarf stabilizer, which means that he should be able to shrink like the Atom.

SO MUCH UNTAPPED POTENTIAL!

#9 Posted by Z3RO180 (6620 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: is cybotg going to be on YJ ?

#10 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: Maybe. He has a promo video on Cartoon Network, but his appearance hasn't been announced officially yet.

#11 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

It is also possible to use in the Justice League : Black Lightning, Vixen, Bronze Tiger, Impala, Steel, Michael Holt, etc.

#12 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be indifferent.

#13 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13408 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

It is also possible to use in the Justice League : Black Lightning, Vixen, Bronze Tiger, Impala, Steel, Michael Holt, etc.

none of them offer anything truly unique. Steel was left out because A. Dc considers him too similar to Iron Man and B) He's a Superman supporting character. MR. Terrific and Bronze Tiger dont really offer anything unique compared to Batman. and next to no one has any idea who Impala is, even Vibe was more well known than him.

#14 Posted by wimble23 (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Cyborg is the perfect fit in Justice League right now his character just needs to be written better. He works well in the Martian Manhunter spot. Smart enough to compliment Batman and has the superhuman strength as well. Even if it was about diversity he fills the open Justice League roll very well.

#15 Posted by TheCannon (19008 posts) - - Show Bio

I know very little about Icon outside of Young Justice, so I can't comment there.

Static however, I'd like to see. I like the character (not my favorite, but I still like him), and I really don't see why he isn't an A-Lister. If they wanted someone African American, they should of went with someone like Static. I like Cyborg (kind of), but he's kind of a boring character and doesn't have much potential. Static has tons of potential and needs more of a push.

Age isn't really a factor to me. I've said that Blue Beetle (Jaime) should be a JL member (1,000,000,000,000 times better character than Cyborg), and he's only 15 (or 16. I loose track of ages). Age shouldn't be a factor as long as you can prove you belong on the JL, which Static can do. And even if the writers have some problem with a teen being there, just change them a little. Cyborg was a teenager Pre-Flashpoint, yet they just uped his age a little.

So, can't say for Icon. But for Static, yes. They should of had him instead of Cyborg (although I'd of rather seen Jaime)

#16 Posted by The_Tree (7729 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer Icon over Cyborg. I wouldn't like Static over Cyborg.

#17 Posted by Black_Claw (3009 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, anybody who has seen my posts on this site should know that I am a HUGE fan of Static and I'd love nothing more to see him as an A-Lister in DC. However, I thinks he's better off on the Teen Titans. As for Icon, I think he would be awesome to have on the league but the thing holding him back is that everybody thinks he's a black superman. Personally, I think it would be cool to have Hardware on the league. Heck, I've even pictured him being close friends with Cyborg.

#18 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Static belongs on the Titans and what would be the point of having Icon on a team where he just plays second fiddle to Superman.   Keep Cyborg, the League needs a tech guy.  From a business standpoint Cyborg makes sense, DC needs an Iron Man analogue.  Without a tech guy on the team Marvel gets the entire "Iron man' type fans to itself.  

#19 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc is standardizing on Hal Jordan so I don't see dc using the other Green Lanterns much in comics and other media anymore. I am ok with New 52 turning John Jones into African American like what the Smallville tv show did and this was also done by the Young Justice cartoons and Justice League Doom animated.

#20 Posted by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see cyborg in young justice,

I completely agree, i like the character, I see they gave him some boom tube abilities.......but i still don't see alot of potential in him. at least not as much as static..............and def. Blue Beetle, i should have considered him first

how do you feel about john stewart, (i know alot of ppl just see him as a rip-off of the original green lantern and just a quick excuse to promote diversity)

in terms of icon, i'm not gonna complain about him being a superman rip off....(thats a privilege to be in supermans class), stonger heroes= better Stronger villains= better battles

#21 Posted by TheCannon (19008 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvel123: Yeah, Beetle is an amazing character. He should of been put on the JL.

#22 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

if you do not think cyborh has potential then you need to read the cyborg his time has come transcript in the cyborg forum. he has loads of potential that has not been shown because he does not have his own title like the other foynders, which sucks

#23 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing being super-underutilized with Cyborg, is his ability to interface with the world on a technological level. In a world with facial recognition, Cyborg can help keep Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or even Batman from having their identities figured out by being a virtual monkey wrench.

#24 Posted by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

i see, if you are talking about his ability to use the boom tubes then yeah....i think that's cool, and i know writers are trying really hard to develop his character

but (it's just my opinion) i'm still not impressed

both static and Blue Beetle bring ethnic diversity and skill diversity to the team, and their abilities just seem a little more appealing than cyborg's...............i could picture them using boom tubes as well (depends on the writing).....................for now his boom tube upgrade is the only thing keeping him in the game.

any one remenber the scene in justice league Doom, where wonder woman Ripped of his arm, if she didn't come to her senses she could have ripped the tin man to pieces........i'd like to see someone who brings diversity and is at least more of a powerhouse than cyborg is.

#25 Edited by BlackWind (6784 posts) - - Show Bio

Static is meant to be a teen, and any team he should join he should be surrounded by people like Red Robin, Blue Beetle, Wonder Girl, Misfit, and Kid Flash. He belongs on the Teen Titans, as well as having some actual talent that cares doing a solo title.

Icon has always been uber boring for me, not my cuppa tea.

#26 Posted by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that Static would fit in the JLA,so I would choose Icon.

#27 Posted by atomicfist (23 posts) - - Show Bio

i would say get simon baz but he is in that new JLA which is coming out which also cancels out martian manhunter, i mean green is a race lets not be racist against them

#28 Edited by ShowboatingPenguin (149 posts) - - Show Bio
@atomicfist:  How much more diverse can you get, especially with someone who's from another freaking planet?!!  

Also I wouldn't want Static to even go near the Justice League. I can't see him physically fighting in the game. To me he's just a guy who's just blasts lightning...that's it. I have never seen him punch a guy with his bare hands. 

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I wrote about the Injustice game. I was on two different posts and got confused for both of them as one. >_>
#29 Posted by BlackWind (6784 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShowboatingPenguin: Then you haven't seen his Tazer Punch. And no, Static doesn't just throw lightning. He can do far more than that.

#30 Posted by John Valentine (16311 posts) - - Show Bio

Static and Icon?

NO, THANKS!

#31 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Icon is sorta redundant with Superman and Wonder Woman there.

Static would be cool though.

#32 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc also has Mal Duncan and Bumblebee.

#33 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4849 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Cyborg WAY more than Static or Icon.

(+)

#34 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be fine with either but I would prefer it to be Steel who replaced him.

#35 Posted by herrweis (435 posts) - - Show Bio

No teenager needs to be on the league,Cyborg is pushing that for me as it is.I'd like Icon on the team .Cyborg does ad diversity..but not because he is black.It's because he is the only one with any kind of tech going on.

#36 Posted by herrweis (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: I'm with you there

#37 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@herrweis said:

@TheSwordsman: I'm with you there

Awesome. I don't understand why they didn't use him instead of Cyborg: cool name, cool armor (the pre-52 I mean, the new 52 weird armor was lame), the tech element like you said. Steel is such a great character with awesome potential.

#38 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Icon and Static are both pretty lame. I'll take Cyborg over them anyday.

#39 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, lame is not the word, but cyborg is just so much cooler

#40 Posted by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

How about jaime reyes as blue beetle, they made cyborg a little older, they could do the same for blue

I used icon because he honestly has cool powers (super strength, speed, invulnurability and flight).....i believe it would allow for stronger villains and better battles.............oh not many complain when captain atom, captain marvel

thor and storm use electric powers, lotta ppl like them........i figured with static............why not

i don't mean to bash cyborg, and i know i obviously can't change any thing................but i just think they coulg have chosen a better character (Power wise)

cyborg was fine on the teen titans...............boom tube usage didn't make him any cooler, i still see him being similar to robocop.

if they wanted diversity, steel would have been better, or hawk girl ( needs more female heroes), or even just keep john stewart as Gl

just my random thoughts

#41 Posted by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman serves as the teams tech/ weapons/ strategist in my book....he could obtain his own boom tube if the writers wanted him to

are there any other characters who could bring diversity to the team that you guys would like to see????.......(whether gender diversity, ethnic diversity or power diversity.............other than cyborg)

#42 Posted by BlackWind (6784 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: Because Steel is a part of the Superman family. And jis name is pretty boring.

And Cybog using New God tech pisses me off.

#43 Posted by NewComicGuy (131 posts) - - Show Bio

I read the whole Static run and really enjoyed it. That being said, he does seem too young and in other ways, just not right for the JL. I think they're fine the way they are atm.

#44 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

@TheSwordsman: Because Steel is a part of the Superman family. And jis name is pretty boring.

And Cybog using New God tech pisses me off.

Big deal if he started in a Superman comic. her would still make an awesome addition and makes more sense him being on the team than Cyborg. He is an awesome character and his name is not boring it is awesome. It is no more boring than Flash or Batman and they are not boring at all. Not sure why you think it is or why Cyborg using New god tech upsets you but I have an idea why and it seems obvious as to the reasons.

#45 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

fans would just call Steel an Iron Man ripoff or a Black Batman. Ripoff characters do not sell

#46 Posted by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

that is the sad truth =(

i still think they could have done better than cyborg.............but as you said, they needed a tech guy

#47 Posted by BlackWind (6784 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problems with Steel. But using two characters from the same family as Justice League founders creates an imbalance. And Steel is one of the most plain names I know for a hero, doesn't mean I dislike him though.

#48 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg is awesome. Johns just hasnc't developed him yet. be patient

#49 Posted by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

............i'll give cyborg a chance and i'm sure they'll write him well............but he has some big boots to fill (power wise) replacing martian manhunter

#50 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

If they needed to replace him with a different black character, the only one I'd really be down for would be Black Lightning.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.