Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3323 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Green Lantern Cameo In Man of Steel?

• 91 results
    OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@modunhanul: No you said looks. And Ryan played a cocky airforce pilot concvincingly. He was the exact same Hal as the one in Secret Origin. Kyle Rayner is a sweet, creative, peaceful artist. Reynolds did not play anything resembling Kyle whatsoever, fanboy.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane: Given that you think that means you know nothing about John before the Geoff Johns era.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@citizenbane: Given that you think that means you know nothing about John before the Geoff Johns era.

I dare say I've forgotten more John Stewart stories than you even know exist, but go on.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@citizenbane: The Marine development of John Stewart's history came about in the mid 2000s. At his debut, he was a socially activist and an architect.

Anything with John under Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams is awesome and full of life. He was the maverick of the corps before Hal Jordan was.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

In addition, in Green Lantern Mosaic (by the great Gerard Jones), John wasn't just smart, he was an intellectual who used his brains and multi-faceted personality to defend the Mosaic world.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I like how you're trying to judge a character on 1 run. I guess since Scott Lobdell is writing Superman, Superman is a s****y character, right? Brush up on John Stewart. Johns's interpretation is the worst one of that character. Even a children's cartoon did it better. There, they made him more like Captain America in terms of personality.

But you already knew all that since you've posted in the John Stewart appreciation thread several times. So you'll probably just try to tell me that these stories re not memorable because they didn't happen when Johns wrote them. Are there any memorable Hal stories in which he doesn't mas murder a city before Johns wrote him?

Now that we're entering a new era of Green Lantern, let's see if your precious Hal holds up without Geoff Johns playing favorites and calling him the best without showing it. In Hal's shoes during Sinestro Corps War, rage of the Red Lanterns, Blackest Night, John, Guy, and Kyle would have made the same decisions but acted more professionally. And John and Kyle are sure as heck better fits on the Justice League personality wise.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Saren

@outlawrenegade said:

@citizenbane: The Marine development of John Stewart's history came about in the mid 2000s. At his debut, he was a socially activist and an architect.

Anything with John under Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams is awesome and full of life. He was the maverick of the corps before Hal Jordan was.

In addition, in Green Lantern Mosaic (by the great Gerard Jones), John wasn't just smart, he was an intellectual who used his brains and multi-faceted personality to defend the Mosaic world.

I like how you're trying to judge a character on 1 run. I guess since Scott Lobdell is writing Superman, Superman is a s****y character, right? Brush up on John Stewart. Johns's interpretation is the worst one of that character. Even a children's cartoon did it better. There, they made him more like Captain America in terms of personality.

But you already knew all that since you've posted in the John Stewart appreciation thread several times. So you'll probably just try to tell me that these stories re not memorable because they didn't happen when Johns wrote them. Are there any memorable Hal stories in which he doesn't mas murder a city before Johns wrote him?

Now that we're entering a new era of Green Lantern, let's see if your precious Hal holds up without Geoff Johns playing favorites and calling him the best without showing it. In Hal's shoes during Sinestro Corps War, rage of the Red Lanterns, Blackest Night, John, Guy, and Kyle would have made the same decisions but acted more professionally. And John and Kyle are sure as heck better fits on the Justice League personality wise.

Nice copy/paste, must have taken real skill. I'm not even sure why you people keep cribbing about how pointing out how colossally boring Stewart is implies I must love Johns and Jordan even though I'm not fond of either; perhaps making up strawman arguments to compensate for a half-baked position is just the easy thing to do? It seems to come naturally to you. My "precious Hal"? Lol. Hal could die in a fire for all I care. I'd point out that the facet of John's history as a Marine sniper came about during the run of --- you guessed it ---, Johns the Hated One, but I cannot deal with that level of outraged screeching right now.

Early John Stewart was a social activist because all of Denny O'Neil's 70's-80's work revolved around social activism. It was a recurring theme that the dude championed in all of his work during that period. In smaller doses he had the depowered Karate Wonder Woman running around fighting slave traders, in larger, more well known doses, he created an eco-terrorist named Ra's al Ghul and had the whole Roy-doing-drugs arc of Green Lantern/Green Arrow. You guys complain about the fact that he hasn't been portrayed as a social activist since or irregularly at best? It has nothing to do with Johns. It's more to do with the fact that the social activism angle was a uniquely O'Neil theme that no other writer shared an interest with or even cared as much about.

I do not have the slightest clue why you are posting scans of John's marriage to Katma Tui or him talking to Green Arrow about food. Setting aside the fact that Katma Tui was easily one of the most irritating GL supporting cast characters and fully deserved to die for that alone, you could have at least cut out all the irrelevant scans while you were copy/pasting Superdork's vignettes. I am not judging a character by one run, nor did I ever claim to do so. I have read the majority of John Stewart's appearances. You are criticizing me for supposedly judging John Stewart by his portrayal under Geoff Johns, a pattern of behavior that did not exist until you made it up and started criticizing me for it. Please, get real. If anything, you are judging John Stewart by one run, as does every Stewart fan when they fondly reminisce about Mosaic --- it's pretty much the only time in GL history when John has been remotely significant to the Corps at large, and ever since it ended, nothing he's done has had any kind of lasting impact on the GLC. He was put in charge of the Mosaic World --- does anyone care? Has it ever made the slightest difference to the Corps? He was the first mortal Guardian --- again, who cares? Not only have the things John did during his greatest portrayal ever never amounted to anything worthwhile for anyone other than John, writers don't even bother acknowledging them. These stories aren't memorable because nothing that took place within those changes made the slightest difference to anyone other than John Stewart. They hold no significance outside of his own experience, and as such they do nothing for his standing in the Corps since there's no contribution to the GLC's greater mythos. Are there any memorable Hal stories before Johns? Sure. Emerald Dawn II and Quiver are nice. The former actually made a major difference to the GLC with Sinestro's defeat and exile from the Corps, unlike Mosaic. The Hard Traveling Heroes era was nice too.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the movie is one thing but why in a trailer promoting a superman origin movie would you clutter it with the presence of another character that has nothing to do with the origin. Movie trailers while seem easily slapped together are thought out at times. So far all of these tv spots and trailers have been good I doubt they would do an amateur thing like that

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@modunhanul: You're not the first person who has said that. When the movie first came out I kept seeing people say he was more like Kyle play acting as Hal.

Yeah... so Derman has not convinced me whatsoever. Weak arguments, dude.

John is definitely the better choice.

and we all know you would actually let any argument no matter how good or right change your mind. *wink wink* :p

Edit1: Side note Kyle is half-Mexican and an easy mistake considering the way he's drawn and nobody even knew until it was revealed and most still don't.

Edit2: For the record Kyle is my favorite not that it matters but I always feel the need to mention it at some point when talking about GLs.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By w0nd

@outlawrenegade: His toys are a guranteed sell-unlike Hal's which are a gamble.

What is that a joke? There is a reason why Hal has a new toy every freaking month that is just a re color...and john has like 5. The only reason they would be a guaranteed sell is because they are so rare to see lol.

Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how John Stewart is capable of overshadow Superman in a theard about his movie.

That tickles the Fckout of me. They should just put both in the movie. Wouldn't even be hard to explain or write it.

You'd have 3 hours to tell it. Plenty of time for John, Hal, Manhunter, and Aquaman imo.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather see Hal Jordan than John Stewart as the Green Lantern in a JL movie

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how John Stewart is capable of overshadow Superman in a theard about his movie.

That tickles the Fckout of me. They should just put both in the movie. Wouldn't even be hard to explain or write it.

You'd have 3 hours to tell it. Plenty of time for John, Hal, Manhunter, and Aquaman imo.

well the topic was about a gl cameo so the topic is still legit.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

You're really reaching.

That's putting it lightly.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@outlawrenegade said:

Nice copy/paste, must have taken real skill. I'm not even sure why you people keep cribbing about how pointing out how colossally boring Stewart is implies I must love Johns and Jordan even though I'm not fond of either; perhaps making up strawman arguments to compensate for a half-baked position is just the easy thing to do? It seems to come naturally to you. My "precious Hal"? Lol. Hal could die in a fire for all I care. I'd point out that the facet of John's history as a Marine sniper came about during the run of --- you guessed it ---, Johns the Hated One, but I cannot deal with that level of outraged screeching right now.

Early John Stewart was a social activist because all of Denny O'Neil's 70's-80's work revolved around social activism. It was a recurring theme that the dude championed in all of his work during that period. In smaller doses he had the depowered Karate Wonder Woman running around fighting slave traders, in larger, more well known doses, he created an eco-terrorist named Ra's al Ghul and had the whole Roy-doing-drugs arc of Green Lantern/Green Arrow. You guys complain about the fact that he hasn't been portrayed as a social activist since or irregularly at best? It has nothing to do with Johns. It's more to do with the fact that the social activism angle was a uniquely O'Neil theme that no other writer shared an interest with or even cared as much about.

I do not have the slightest clue why you are posting scans of John's marriage to Katma Tui or him talking to Green Arrow about food. Setting aside the fact that Katma Tui was easily one of the most irritating GL supporting cast characters and fully deserved to die for that alone, you could have at least cut out all the irrelevant scans while you were copy/pasting Superdork's vignettes. I am not judging a character by one run, nor did I ever claim to do so. I have read the majority of John Stewart's appearances. You are criticizing me for supposedly judging John Stewart by his portrayal under Geoff Johns, a pattern of behavior that did not exist until you made it up and started criticizing me for it. Please, get real. If anything, you are judging John Stewart by one run, as does every Stewart fan when they fondly reminisce about Mosaic --- it's pretty much the only time in GL history when John has been remotely significant to the Corps at large, and ever since it ended, nothing he's done has had any kind of lasting impact on the GLC. He was put in charge of the Mosaic World --- does anyone care? Has it ever made the slightest difference to the Corps? He was the first mortal Guardian --- again, who cares? Not only have the things John did during his greatest portrayal ever never amounted to anything worthwhile for anyone other than John, writers don't even bother acknowledging them. These stories aren't memorable because nothing that took place within those changes made the slightest difference to anyone other than John Stewart. They hold no significance outside of his own experience, and as such they do nothing for his standing in the Corps since there's no contribution to the GLC's greater mythos. Are there any memorable Hal stories before Johns? Sure. Emerald Dawn II and Quiver are nice. The former actually made a major difference to the GLC with Sinestro's defeat and exile from the Corps, unlike Mosaic.

click it
    click it

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Post on Comicvine

If John Stewart is not the main Green Lantern in the Justice League movie or future Green Lantern movies, I won't watch the films and I hope they flop--not only destroying the Green Lantern franchise, but every other non-Batman or Superman franchise. I'm spiteful like that--especially to people who refuse to be inclusive. Marvel has War Machine, Falcon, Nick Fury, Heimdall, etc. Besides John Stewart, which minority DC character has a shot at his own film? Cyborg? Yeah right, he's a teen titan.

John Stewart is the Green Lantern most people in my generation (the millenials) are familiar with. And I'm not just talking about the ones who read comics--a very small niche. Hal had his chance. He failed.

Financially, he broadens the demographic base of the movie and he has no ties to a failure of a movie. He has name recognition. He has an interesting dynamic with Flash. And he's different from all of the other space heroes out there like cocky pilot Hal Jordan, cocky pilot James Kirk, cocky pilot Starlord, cocky pilot Solo. That's the kind of diversity people are ignoring--diversity of character.

I think Warner should introduce John post-credits in MoS. The he should be used in Justice League and spin-off with his own movies. Guy or Kyle can be his token white sidekick.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: You continue to ignore secret origin and the fact that retailers refuse to sell Hal Jordan merchandise. You're lying to yourself. It's sad to see.

And yes, with James Kirk, Starlord, Richard Rider, and another Solo running around on the big screen, Hal Jordan is VERY generic. At least John is a relatively unique character in big screen sci fi movies. And John is just as well known because everyone thought Green Lantern was whitewashed for live action.

Anyway, I asked if it really came to down to the lack of merchandising sales, as Bleeding Cool had previously reported regarding Young Justice. He said yes. Since the Ryan Reynolds’ film, retailers were stuck with film merchandise that just wasn’t selling. This lead to those retailers being very reluctant, if not downright refusing, to any carry merchandise from the Animated Series. Therefore, a lack of sales on that front lead to a lack revenue for an admittedly expensive CG Series.

Moving forward with Hal is poison. He's the Taylor Kitsch of characters.

WOW! I didn't even know the Green Lantern movie had that much of an effect on Hal Jordan! I thought, and still do think, that Reynolds was the perfect fit for Hal Jordan. If the movie had such a poisonous effect on the animated series' merchandise sales that it eventually led to a cancellation ofan animated tv series, I could easily see how DC would think of going in John Stewart's direction for the GL reboot.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines: Please no longer include me in any quotes or replies for I have no further desire to continue discussing this.

Avatar image for showboatingpenguin
    ShowboatingPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't want the roster to be a copy of the crappy JL cartoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

/Facepalm

@god_spawn said:

@citizenbane: I saw a couple vids on youtube about guys explaining it. I nearly bashed my face into my keyboard.

Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

@shtr said:

@superdork: Hmm, looks like blue to me. All we can do is wait until the movie is out, anyway. I will say, however, that Green Lantern would feel somewhat out of place as a cameo for me.

this

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson said:

Those were Green Arrow stories and you know it :p

BB

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of it being called "GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW" and not "GREEN ARROW/GREEN LANTERN" :P

For Green Lantern stories, they rarely left off Earth, the main character got preached at by the guest character and it dealt with Green Arrow's relation with Black Canary. Hal Jordan stories alright, mmhmm <_<

BB

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of it being called "GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW" and not "GREEN ARROW/GREEN LANTERN" :P

For Green Lantern stories, they rarely left off Earth, the main character got preached at by the guest character and it dealt with Green Arrow's relation with Black Canary. Hal Jordan stories alright, mmhmm <_<

BB

That's why Ollie talks about like an eager young sidekick?

No Caption Provided

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@dernman: He played a carefree, cocky, womanizing, funny pilot. That is Hal Jordan. Too bad all of his dialogue and the plot were terrible. That movie nearly broke the brand. It's time to pass the torch to another Lantern. And yes, Lively was terrible.

he was a bit too whiny for my taste (running home to cry when the other GL's were picking on him as opposed to telling themselves to f*%( and fighting on like he did in the book.) but for the rest his personality, you're right.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@outlawrenegade said:

@dernman: You continue to ignore secret origin and the fact that retailers refuse to sell Hal Jordan merchandise. You're lying to yourself. It's sad to see.

And yes, with James Kirk, Starlord, Richard Rider, and another Solo running around on the big screen, Hal Jordan is VERY generic. At least John is a relatively unique character in big screen sci fi movies. And John is just as well known because everyone thought Green Lantern was whitewashed for live action.

Anyway, I asked if it really came to down to the lack of merchandising sales, as Bleeding Cool had previously reported regarding Young Justice. He said yes. Since the Ryan Reynolds’ film, retailers were stuck with film merchandise that just wasn’t selling. This lead to those retailers being very reluctant, if not downright refusing, to any carry merchandise from the Animated Series. Therefore, a lack of sales on that front lead to a lack revenue for an admittedly expensive CG Series.

Moving forward with Hal is poison. He's the Taylor Kitsch of characters.

WOW! I didn't even know the Green Lantern movie had that much of an effect on Hal Jordan! I thought, and still do think, that Reynolds was the perfect fit for Hal Jordan. If the movie had such a poisonous effect on the animated series' merchandise sales that it eventually led to a cancellation ofan animated tv series, I could easily see how DC would think of going in John Stewart's direction for the GL reboot.

yeah. its depressing seeing how badly that movie effed things up for Hal.

@citizenbane said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

BB

i'd say its about equal. they also dealt with Hal training his cousin Air Wave, his relationship with Carol . they rarely left earth for a reason, they were trying to "find America" and get Hal back in touch with the problems facing the country and the world today.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@the_stegman said:

It better not be John, at least not as GL, Hal deserves the first GL role, John can come later. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the Amanda Waller in the GL movie makes a cameo, it could be well done.

Hal had his shot. I think Ryan Renolds has Hal should die fighting "insert bad guy here" at the start of the JL and his ring zooms off and chooses John.

No, Hal didn't have his shot for the same reasons Deadpool didn't have his shot in X Men Origins, Renolds, and the director mucked it up.

Ryan wasn't the reason that film failed, he didn't really do that bad of a job.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@the_stegman said:

It better not be John, at least not as GL, Hal deserves the first GL role, John can come later. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the Amanda Waller in the GL movie makes a cameo, it could be well done.

Hal had his shot. I think Ryan Renolds has Hal should die fighting "insert bad guy here" at the start of the JL and his ring zooms off and chooses John.

No, Hal didn't have his shot for the same reasons Deadpool didn't have his shot in X Men Origins, Renolds, and the director mucked it up.

agreed, Ryan was a good Wade.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@the_stegman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@the_stegman said:

agreed, Ryan was a good Wade.

I thought he was good as both Hal and Wade

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Billy Batson
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt:

The exposure was around the same yes but like you said, they were more Ollie's M.O. Plus Ollie was portrayed in a better light than Hal :p

BB

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt:

The exposure was around the same yes but like you said, they were more Ollie's M.O. Plus Ollie was portrayed in a better light than Hal :p

BB

i dont know. Olie certainly made a jackass out of himself quite a few time throughout that series. lie dressing up lie a Scooby Doo villain in order to try and save the native american tribe and nearly getting them slaughtered, or aiding that one terrorist and freaking out when Hal actually manages to convince him to give himself in. and i might even have to take back that equal exposure bit. seems like a large part of the series outside of the stories i read dealt with Hal, his villains, and his supporting cast. there seem to be several issues where ollie doesn't even appear where Hal is in every single one.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL no. Its not happening. I hope not anyway.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

BB

i dont know. Olie certainly made a jackass out of himself quite a few time throughout that series. lie dressing up lie a Scooby Doo villain in order to try and save the native american tribe and nearly getting them slaughtered, or aiding that one terrorist and freaking out when Hal actually manages to convince him to give himself in. and i might even have to take back that equal exposure bit. seems like a large part of the series outside of the stories i read dealt with Hal, his villains, and his supporting cast. there seem to be several issues where ollie doesn't even appear where Hal is in every single one.

The Hard Traveling Heroes is mostly referred to the O'Neil/Adams run in which they gave equal time of spotlight.

BB

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#87  Edited By Captain13

@sandman_: Why not? If it happens post-credits, then how does that affect the film? It would make sense for a GL to investigate an alien invasion.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@billy_batson said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

BB

The Hard Traveling Heroes is mostly referred to the O'Neil/Adams run in which they gave equal time of spotlight.

BB

i guess they gave up on that angle when Adams left art duties

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sigh...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By OutlawRenegade

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.