Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3323 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Green Lantern Cameo In Man of Steel?

• 91 results
    Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superdork

First: Man of Steel may be the launch of a new Justice League universe. The creators know this, so there are some rumors that there will be certain cameos in the movie. We are already seeing this in the tie-in materials. The Man of Steel prequel comic name-dropped Thanagar and featured Kara Zor-El.

The third Man of Steel trailer shows us Lexcorp at the 2:18 mark. Don't be surprised if we hear about or see Wayne Enterprises.

No Caption Provided

Now, most importantly, all of the things happening in Man of Steel indicate a high level of extraterrestrial activity on Earth that could attract the attention of the Guardians of the Universe. At 0:44 in this trailer, we see a flash of emerald energy headed to Earth.

We don't know when this sequence takes place or even what the green light is, but it could be a post-credits scene featuring--Green Lantern!

No Caption Provided

That would be amazing in my opinion! What may be even more amazing is that the U.S. military is featured heavily in Man of Steel as indicated by this TV spot.

Could the Green Lantern John Stewart, a former marine, be one of the soldiers in the movie? ;-D

Chadwick Boseman
    Chadwick Boseman

I hope so! And the signs are pointing that way.

MAN OF STEEL DC UNIVERSE – With the Justice League movie having difficulties getting off the ground, people continue to speculate about the Man of Steel being a launch pad for more characters in the DC Universe. Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy was self-contained and theGreen Lantern movie was a disaster (helicopter on a hot wheel race track anyone?), is it is up to the man with the “S” on his chest. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, producer Chris Roven opened up about introducing characters:

“[Man of Steel's] setting the tone for what the movies are going to be like going forward. In that, Man of Steel is definitely a first step. What Zack [Snyder] and Chris [Nolan] have done with [Man of Steel] is allow you to really introduce other characters into the same world.”

The head of Warner Bros. Jeff Robinov agreed with this statement:

“It’s setting the tone for what the movies are going to be like going forward. In that, it’s definitely a first step. I think you’ll see that, going forward, anything can live in this world… [Nolan's] Batman was deliberately and smartly positioned as a stand-alone. “The world they lived in was very isolated without any knowledge of any other superheroes. What Zack and Chris have done with this film is allow you to really introduce other characters into the same world.”

That next step should be revealed soon. “We’ll announce something in the next several weeks that will hopefully position the DC characters and the movies we’re going to be making,” Robinov said.

Man of Steel screenwriter David Goyer wants people to keep an eye out for connections:

“I would love to tell you yes or no [on Man of Steel leading to a shared universe], but I think it’s going to be more exciting for people to keep a beady eye out and find what they can find.”

http://www.screenslam.com/man-of-steel-easter-eggs-superhero-dc-universe/

SHTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks like Kal-El's ship to me.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shtr: Maybe, but it's green...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    SHTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdork: Hmm, looks like blue to me. All we can do is wait until the movie is out, anyway. I will say, however, that Green Lantern would feel somewhat out of place as a cameo for me.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By SavageDragon

That would be hella cool.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shtr said:

@superdork: Hmm, looks like blue to me. All we can do is wait until the movie is out, anyway. I will say, however, that Green Lantern would feel somewhat out of place as a cameo for me.

Here's a screen cap from my computer:

No Caption Provided

Maybe it shows up differently on yours? Why does a Green Lantern cameo seem out of place to you? Both heroes are tied to universe-spanning mythologies, and the two characters have a long history together. Just curious...

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

What.....nonsense....

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

i can't really tell what color it is. ts more white-ish than anything to me

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope John appears o_O

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LaserLambert

Not going to happen, and for as long as Geoff Johns is a high-level person at DC, you'll never see a main GL that isn't Hal Jordan.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

It better not be John, at least not as GL, Hal deserves the first GL role, John can come later. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the Amanda Waller in the GL movie makes a cameo, it could be well done.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope it is John. He is the best choice for both the Justice League and Green Lantern franchises going forward. He adds diversity in several ways without diminishing the role of other characters like Cyborg does. He is the most prominent Black hero and people associate him with the team. With James Kirk, Richard Rider, and Solo Jr all set to appear in space-based franchises, do we really need to flood the market with another cocky, straight, white Anglo-Saxon males? Really? In addition, Hal's movie was such a flop that stores refused to carry his merchandise leading to the cancellation of his show. Right now, outside of comics, Hal is poison. And his mask--no matter how you slice it--looks terrible in live action whether it is CG or not. And getting rid of it takes away his most distinctive and iconic facial differentiator from Superman and other heroes. John is the right choice moving forward for SO many more reasons...

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By colonyofcells

I don't believe the Superman movie will actually have cameos by other superheroes. Easier to just mention the cities of the other superheroes. If Superman is the first superhero, the other superheroes probably have not appeared yet. Could maybe mention the civilian identities of some of the future superheroes.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TDK_1997

I don't think that that is any Green Lantern.The moment in the trailer changes too fast and when you just look at the picture you are unable to recognize the color.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I don't think Man of Steel has other super heroes aside Superman.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't think there'll be a cameo...and if there is, I'd think that Jordan gets it as opposed to Stewart

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Saren

I mean, seriously......it's a vague whitish-blue light that in all likelihood has something to do with Kryptonians coming to Earth, and from that you're extrapolating that John Stewart is going to show up?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

What.....nonsense....

You ever see the theory that Thor made a cameo in the Hulk movie because Ed Norton Hulk threw a rock and apparently one of the lightning bolts looked like a hammer?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#21  Edited By Extremis

Guys, I honesty doubt there's any big cameos. I think they're making this as a movie that can stand on its on, but build off it if it works - which is a good way to go. I don't want them rushing in all these characters for the sake of it. A good story is what's paramount here.

But on a side note, hell yeah I want a GL cameo. Only if it doesnt sacrifice a good story. Hopefully post credits? That would be nice.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Saren

@citizenbane said:

What.....nonsense....

You ever see the theory that Thor made a cameo in the Hulk movie because Ed Norton Hulk threw a rock and apparently one of the lightning bolts looked like a hammer?

I wasn't paying that much attention to it o_o Who came up with that idea?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#23 god_spawn  Moderator

@citizenbane: I saw a couple vids on youtube about guys explaining it. I nearly bashed my face into my keyboard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why the obsession with John Stewart??

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the obsession with John Stewart is that following the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series fans expected him to get a much bigger role in the DCU than he did because shortly after his great rise in popularity and exposure to the general public Hal Jordan was brought back as the main Green Lantern. So John got shuttled back into a minor role even during the important Corps events leading up to and into the DCnU ("new 52").

Personally I don't see much difference between Hal and John. They are both one-dimensional characters centered around the popular opinion of their military fields (Hal the carefree jet jockey and John the hardnose Marine) and both have had great looks into their personalities on occassion (for John the great arc with the Mosiac World and coming to terms with not being able to save an entire planet).

Movie-wise, if it comes down to diversity in a Justice League film (granted, Avengers didn't care at all about diversity and I didn't hear people making any noise to throw Ben Foster or Luke Cage into the mix simply to have a diverse team) I'd rather have John Stewart than Cyborg, as the idea of a Green Lantern coming to stop an alien invasion in his sector is far more plausible than Stone being turned into Cyborg during the events of the film.

As for the mask debate, even if the film used Hal Jordan I don't think a mask is necessary to the character. One of the lesser known abilities of a Power Ring is Mind Alteration. As a huge Doctor Who fan it would be easy to change this power to a common theme in the series, Perception Filtering. A simple comment from Flash or Batman on Hal/John not wearing a mask would reveal that the ring alters people's memories so that when a Green Lantern is not around the people that saw him/her will never remember their exact features and a Lantern cannot be clearly photographed or video recorded as well. So there is no need for a mask. The ability would even allow the Lantern to meet the same person in normal attire (like Hal wearing his bomber jacket) and the person would not realize they are meeting a Lantern because the Lantern isn't in uniform. If a Lantern wants someone to remember, however, they can alter the ring to do so (for instance the other members of the Justice League would always remember Hal/John). A very simple explanation that gets rid of the outdated domino mask.

Now to the point of this thread. No, I don't think its a Green Lantern. Its clearly white to white-blue in color and therefore Kal-El's ship entering Earth. I've watched it on my computer, my iphone, and my ipad on multiple sites and the color is always white/white-blue. Its not even close to green.

@superdork: its not that Green Lantern would be out of place in the movie universe, especially if MOS is the launching platform for a DC movie universe similar to Marvel. The problem is that its an unnecessary cameo in MOS. It has no point in the story to simply see a Green Lantern traveling through space and I doubt that a trailer would be showing a post-credit scene if one involving a Green Lantern exists. The Green Lantern Corps or the Guardians of the Universe being mentioned in the film, maybe in the context of an Army scientists making a comment about a mysterious crash in the California Desert (Abin Sur's arrival and death) and whether its connected to the events of the film, would be enough to indicate that a Green Lantern exists in the MOS universe.

This is different than say....Agent Coulson and S.H.I.E.L.D agents appearing in Iron Man. That addition and Nick Fury's post-credit cameo made sense because it was all a part of the story. S.H.I.E.L.D needed to get a debrief in with Stark and in the course of trying to do that became a part of the third act conflict with Stane. Following Stark's admission that he's Iron Man it was necessary for Fury to speak with him about the Avengers Initiative.

There is nowhere to place a Green Lantern into the story of MOS in a similar fashion though. You can't have a Green Lantern see Kal-El's ship because then the question of why the Lantern (most likely Abin Sur) didn't investigate or stop it would come up. You can't have a Green Lantern flying around Earth at the time of Superman's debute and the Kryptonian Invasion because the question of why the Lantern (at this point Hal or John) wouldn't go confront Superman about being on Earth or try to stop the invasion would come up.

However, if a post-credit scene occured where either Hal or John showed up and asked Superman to come to Oa to discuss continuing to live among humans than that could be okay (still seems out of place but it would make more sense to do something after the story than during the story) because the existence of the Corps would then be established and not be something to explain during the Justice League film.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: I think that post-credits idea was mentioned in the OP, and it could be a good idea if Warner wants to set up Justice League...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It better not be John, at least not as GL, Hal deserves the first GL role, John can come later. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the Amanda Waller in the GL movie makes a cameo, it could be well done.

Hal had his shot. I think Ryan Renolds has Hal should die fighting "insert bad guy here" at the start of the JL and his ring zooms off and chooses John.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@the_stegman said:

It better not be John, at least not as GL, Hal deserves the first GL role, John can come later.

I agree. Plus we Hal fans really need someone to fix the terrible casting that was Ryan Renolds. He was in no way Hal.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Ryan Reynolds played the character well. Everything else about the movie sucked and soured the mass public and retailers to Hal Jordan. He's bad for business.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dernman

@dernman: Ryan Reynolds played the character well. Everything else about the movie sucked and soured the mass public and retailers to Hal Jordan. He's bad for business.

I disagree he was nothing like Hal. Both him and Blake Lively were terrible casting choices. As a fan of both Hal and Ryan Reynolds it was disappointing to me to see such a bad matchup.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@dernman: He played a carefree, cocky, womanizing, funny pilot. That is Hal Jordan. Too bad all of his dialogue and the plot were terrible. That movie nearly broke the brand. It's time to pass the torch to another Lantern. And yes, Lively was terrible.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dernman

@outlawrenegade: He played a carefree, cocky, womanizing, funny pilot.

Two people can both be that and still not be the same. Hell he didn't even look like him. It's not time to think about passing on the torch until we get the real Hal and certainly not until he gets his founding spot on the League.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

Hal had his shot. I think Ryan Renolds has Hal should die fighting "insert bad guy here" at the start of the JL and his ring zooms off and chooses John.

No, Hal didn't have his shot for the same reasons Deadpool didn't have his shot in X Men Origins, Renolds, and the director mucked it up.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

You're really reaching.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Doesnt matter. All that matters are results not excuses. And the results are that no retailer wants to carry Hal Jordan merchandise after his bomb of a movie. Without the ability to sell merchandise and his public opinion being at an all time low, it makes more sense creatively and financially to bring in Stewart--a character that is well known, has great selling merchandise, and who would be the absolute clearest break from that horrible Martin Campbell film.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: John was also a Justice League founder and deserves to he in the film for that reason and more.

And Reynolds captured Hal perfectly. How do they not look the same besides you not wanting them to? He is tall, handsome, has brown hair and a pilot's cocky smile. That is Hal and Reynolds played him as convincingly as any actor could given the material and the direction. He is the exact same Hal as the one in Secret Origin.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: John was also a Justice League founder and deserves to he in the film for that reason and more.

And Reynolds captured Hal perfectly. How do they not look the same besides you not wanting them to? He is tall, handsome, has brown hair and a pilot's cocky smile. That is Hal and Reynolds played him as convincingly as any actor could given the material and the direction. He is the exact same Hal as the one in Secret Origin.

Only in an alternate reality and lets face because diversity. Hal has the years and seniority not to mention being the first GL Corps member. His character shouldn't be pushed out of his spot. No Reynold did not act Hal perfectly. It wasn't even a good job. You keep saying basic things like they are alway the same thing with every person which it's not. Reynold failed to convincingly portray Hal and they could have easily found many people who could have done a better job. The material is irrelevant because even if it was good he didn't have the same.

You mentioned. Cocky Smile, Brown hair, handsome, carefree, cocky, womanizing, funny pilot. I can go out find ten people fitting that description and still they would be majorly different. Pfft you probably thought early 52 JLA was actually a good representation of Hal.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@dernman: Yes, that was Hal--the same one as in the New 52 AND the same one as in Secret Origin, which you're conveniently trying to ignore. It's just like how you're trying to ignore the fact that HAL IS A POOR BUSINESS DECISION for all the reasons I've already listed. He won't add any money to movies that he's in. He's generic. And he's failed-BIG TIME, lol.

John is well known, well respected, loved, and can sell merchandise--to both comics people (nearly insignificant minority) and non-comics people (the mass public).

Also, Johns worked on the Green Lantern movie--if that isn't a stamp of approval for Reynolds, I don't know what is, lol

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawrenegade: Yes, that was Hal--the same one as in the New 52 AND the same one as in Secret Origin,

There you go. Just the fact you think early 52 JL was a good and accurate in character portrayal goes to show that how terrible you are in telling what a good and accurate Hal is.

It's just like how you're trying to ignore the fact that HAL IS A POOR BUSINESS DECISION

I'm not ignoring anything. It's just not validating something that is simply not true.

He's generic. And he's failed-BIG TIME, lol.

Wow I thought you like John Stewart? lol

John is well known, well respected, loved, and can sell merchandise--to both comics people (nearly insignificant minority) and non-comics people (the mass public).

Hal is better known and even despite the terrible movie respected more. Kinda one of the reason he still got the animated show after that movie and only reason it got canceled was because all modern animated shows get canceled quickly.

Also, Johns worked on the Green Lantern movie--if that isn't a stamp of approval for Reynolds, I don't know what is, lol Right because only John has ultimate authority on what goes on in the movie not to mention how he's the only writer to ever of the character. Oh ya like previously mention he's NEVER failed in his previous representation of the character. on no he's never done that.

You getting tired from reaching so far yet? It's getting funny watching you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@dernman: You continue to ignore secret origin and the fact that retailers refuse to sell Hal Jordan merchandise. You're lying to yourself. It's sad to see.

And yes, with James Kirk, Starlord, Richard Rider, and another Solo running around on the big screen, Hal Jordan is VERY generic. At least John is a relatively unique character in big screen sci fi movies. And John is just as well known because everyone thought Green Lantern was whitewashed for live action.

Anyway, I asked if it really came to down to the lack of merchandising sales, as Bleeding Cool had previously reported regarding Young Justice. He said yes. Since the Ryan Reynolds’ film, retailers were stuck with film merchandise that just wasn’t selling. This lead to those retailers being very reluctant, if not downright refusing, to any carry merchandise from the Animated Series. Therefore, a lack of sales on that front lead to a lack revenue for an admittedly expensive CG Series.

Moving forward with Hal is poison. He's the Taylor Kitsch of characters.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dernman

@outlawrenegade said:

@dernman: You continue to ignore secret origin and the fact that retailers refuse to sell Hal Jordan merchandise. You're lying to yourself. It's sad to see.

I'm not ignoring secret origins I'm not addressing it because it was awhile ago since I read it but considering your other poor judgements on Hal your word doesn't hold much water with me. Right because that tells the entire story or other factors. Like the animation was bad and the fact that even YJ toys were not selling. Also the fact that he will then be tied into the JLA with a better actor and which we still don't know will be tied into the GL movie. Ya if the JL movie is any good those kids certainly won't be lining up to buy those GL toys.

Nice try there though valid effort even if you came up short.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: You haven't read secret origin--the book the movie was based on and, in which Hal is the same as the New 52 cocky version. Get out of here, poser. And John Stewart is by far the better choice. His toys are a guranteed sell-unlike Hal's which are a gamble. He broadens the demographic appeal of the Justice League movie to a group that outnumbers Hal Jordan fans.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: You haven't read secret origin--the book the movie was based on and

He broadens the demographic appeal of the Justice League movie to a group that outnumbers Hal Jordan fans.

You don't actually read what people say do you? Maybe it's because you don't like the truth. I said I haven't read it in a while so wasn't going to debate something with a vague memory.

in which Hal is the same as the New 52 cocky version

I've already expressed much worth your comparisons and views are worth to me based on your other statements of him.

And John Stewart is by far the better choice

No he isn't not in any way other than diversity.

His toys are a guranteed sell

Thats a bull statement if anyone ever saw one.

He broadens the demographic appeal of the Justice League

That's basically the only things he's got over Hal but it's still not enough.

to a group that outnumbers Hal Jordan fans.

and yet that means zip unless the gamble pays off hey gains WAAAAAY more fans than Hal has now and what he has the potential to gain from an accurate and good portrayal of Hal in a JLA movie. That's ignoring the fact that the JLA movie could be a flop and it actually hurts John like it did Hal.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Captain13

Yeah... so Derman has not convinced me whatsoever. Weak arguments, dude.

John is definitely the better choice.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate Ryan Reynolds but he looked nothing like Hal in the movie. He was more like Kyle Rayner.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@modunhanul: Kyle Rayner is Mexican with jet black hair. Hal Jordan is white with brown hair. Egg on your face.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that John has the personality of toothpaste, it doesn't reflect well on Hal if people are claiming Stewart's the better choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.