Gene Ha Takes Over Art Duties for JUSTICE LEAGUE #7-8

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

If you were Jim Lee drawing the Justice League and simultaneously acting as DC's co-publisher, you would probably need a little bit of a break too, don't you think? Earlier today DC announced that Eisner-Award winning artist Gene Ha would be taking over as illustrator for the issue #7 -- albeit temporarily. According to the announcement, DC's regular artist, Jim Lee will return to the series with issue #9.

That's not all that's important for the series' seventh issue! If you've been reading the Justice League series by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee then you have probably started to wonder how long the story will continue to be set 5 years in the past. Apparently, issue seven will not only feature Gene Ha as the artist, but it will also be the first issue depicting the Justice League together in the present day. Pretty cool news.

While present day stories are nice, we were definitely enjoying the stories of the team members getting to know one another. Check out interior pages for the series' seventh issue below. What do you think? Have you been reading the series? Are you enjoying the book? Are you looking forward to Gene Ha's art as well as the start of the Justice League's present day stories?

== TEASER ==

Source: DC Source

#1 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

His art looks awesome so far!!

#2 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Way cool.

#3 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting shifts to present day! Impressive art too.

#4 Posted by Scodiac (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Gene Ha does great work. I liked his art in the Superman Flashpoint mini-series.

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad.

#6 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is a mini arc, and jim lee will be back for a full arc, i hate when an artist changes in between stories.

#7 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

Well we all knew Jim wouldn't last... to bad so sad... Ha's work looks pretty good though

#8 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sky_Jokiel: Ha is drawing 7 & 8. Then Lee returns. First paragraph!

DC was up front about the use of fill-in artist to keep the comics on time each month.

#9 Posted by sentryman555 (748 posts) - - Show Bio

My only question would be how are they explaining Hal Jordan as Green Lantern in the present. Would this be before his ring got taken away? I really doubt Sinestro would let him go off on his own with the ring he gave him.

#10 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555: Since Johns is working on both JL and GL I think it's very likely that it'll be explained. Hopefully they include an Editor's note.

#11 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks good!

#12 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool news. I can't wait to see his sketches in color :D

#13 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

big shoes to fill...

#14 Posted by War Killer (19995 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly from those few images I'm not really liking the art, maybe I'll feel different when I see them colored but for right now I just hope Jim Lee decides to return to the book soon.

#15 Edited by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

This is......acceptable

Black Armor seal of approval!!

#16 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: First paragraph: "Jim Lee will return to the series with issue #9"

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to say nooooooooooooooooooooooo. But this looks Aight.

#18 Posted by War Killer (19995 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth said:

@War Killer: First paragraph: "Jim Lee will return to the series with issue #9"

Ah, teaches me to actually read the article instead of just looking at the pictures next time xD Thanks for pointing that out though. :D
#19 Posted by The Impersonator (5083 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!

#20 Posted by AirDave817 (808 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the Gene Ha art. Nice. But, as long as Jim Lee and Geoff Johns stick with the book, I'll check it out.

#21 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't like Gene Ha's work. It's not bad. I just don't like it. :/

#22 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad at all. Hopefully its just for a small storyline though with those two issues.

#23 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good. A present day story will be interesting too.

Though I'm hoping to see a bit more past story when Juim Lee returns too -- after all, 5 years is a pretty big gap, there's a lot of potential there.

#24 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

The art is very good but is in a bit far future, isn't it? March? is pretty much time for me, and then June... uff that's in a half year. But it's cool know it

#25 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (996 posts) - - Show Bio

i love the pages...Hal giving everyone umbrellas,,Bats is like...I dont need yer umbrella...Arthur is like Really?..Sheilding me from the rain? Really Hal?

#26 Posted by iaconpoint (1289 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks great. I'm just glad they went with a legend in the business to fill in rather than an up-and-comer, not that I don't like up-and-comers, but Jim Lee should be filled in by someone of his own caliber and Gene Ha fills the bill.

#27 Posted by zombietag (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

um. no.

#28 Posted by thewhitequeenofhellfire (19 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this "break" for Jim Lee isn't a sign of him falling into old habits with his art duties and deadlines.

#29 Posted by 1fearless1 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

*Sigh* so many Asian artists yet so little cool Asian male characters with superpowers.

What a disgrace!

#30 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it, but i;m starting to see some similarities of new superman and Superboy prime's costume, anyone else see that?

#31 Posted by thechessclub (497 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

Honestly from those few images I'm not really liking the art, maybe I'll feel different when I see them colored but for right now I just hope Jim Lee decides to return to the book soon.

Yeah same here. But that first image. Dude can draw the dynamic, that is for sure.

#32 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Lee is already leaving the book?! I knew it was only a matter of time!

#33 Edited by RalfvdH (648 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really familair with Gene Ha's work... So I have to judge what I see here... and I dont like it....

Where did he won that Eisner for? This is not a sarcastic question ;) 'cause I really dont know...

Maybe it just the scan quality... I don't know... The first pages looks a bit amateurish.. The characters looks stiff to me...

maybe the finished pages will be better... We will wait and see... But right now it doesn't look good to me...

#34 Edited by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio

The art looks good, even great, but Ha with and without coloring are two different artists. Visually Flashpoint: Project Superman was so, SO boring. And can't help but see transvestite Wonder Woman on the first image

#35 Posted by nthompson182 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice league was one of my favourite new 52 runs especially with Lee's art. I must say I am extremely turned off the run by Gene Ha's art interior art in #7 as well as the hideous color scheme on the front cover. I really hope this doesn't become permanent. Ha is great but in my opinion his style doesn't suit the justice league.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.