Four Unexpected Events in JUSTICE LEAGUE #5

• 94 results
Posted by G-Man (30304 posts) - - Show Bio

The "New 52" has been a strange place these past five months. Many things have remained the same yet there are so many others that are completely different. Part of the fun has been witnessing what elements of who the characters are has remained untouched and how they have evolved to fit into this new comic universe.

The idea of how the Justice League originally formed was a simple one. In fact, it was told months after their first appearance in a flashback issue. Back then, the heroes had no problem accepting each other and working together. The climate in today's DCU is different as most heroes are being hunted by the authorities.

Each month, JUSTICE LEAGUE continues to reveal new details about the characters and their early days. Some are big changes while others are more subtle and could have repercussions later. There will be some minor spoilers for JUSTICE LEAGUE #5 below so be sure to read the issue first.

== TEASER ==

The Omega Effect

It's refreshing to see a "villain" that doesn't feel the need to spout off a line of dialogue in order to justify who they are or what their plan is. Darkseid's response when staring at the Flash is to simply unleash the Omega Beams. Flash immediately grabs Superman and it's a race against the beams. The idea has always been that it's virtually impossible to avoid the beams and that still pretty much is the case. What might be different this time is the effects.

The Omega Beams had the ability to vaporize or transmute matter. Here, Superman is hit by the blast and apparently is only knocked unconscious. A Parademon then takes Superman's body away for Darkseid's purposes but it's unclear why Darkseid didn't vaporize or transport Superman elsewhere.

The Flash is an Unknown Hero?

We've already seen some of this in the previous issues but we know that Flash and Green Lantern have teamed up and have a friendship. Flash isn't the type to operate in the shadows. That's more Batman's style. Yet we know that the police in Gotham are aware of Batman's existence.

When the Flash recovers after an explosion, some police officers on the scene have no idea who he is. In a world where there isn't an abundance of superheroes, you would think that the existence of the Flash would be known. We don't know much about Barry Allen's early days in Central City but apparently his heroic actions haven't made the news just yet.

Batman Reveals His identity to Hal Jordan

The members of the Justice League eventually will learn each other's secret identities. Out of all of them, you would expect Batman to guard his identity the most. Yet in the heat of the battle, while giving Green Lantern a bit of a pep talk, Batman surprises Hal (and readers) by removing his cowl and telling him who he is and why he became Batman. It was part of his bigger plan (that he formed on the fly, of course) but it shows that he now has some respect for Hal and is willing to trust him with this bit of information. Either that or he wasn't sure if he was going to survive his crazy plan.

Batman's Costume

Originally Batman's early costume was simple. It appeared to be cloth or spandex and didn't offer much in terms of protection. In the "New 52," many heroes have been wearing more of an armored-type costume. This makes sense for someone like Batman who doesn't have invulnerability. His costume has a more high-tech feel to it...except for how the Bat-emblem is attached.

In trying to create some anonymity, Batman removes his cowl and emblem. The emblem is a piece of material that can be easily peeled off the costume. The emblem was supposed to be fortified with kevlar and served as a target for armed enemies. That wasn't the case in Batman's early days now and seems to have only the purpose of being there for appearance's sake.

The big question is why would his emblem be so easily removed? It fits in perfectly for what he does next but even though he's known for always having a plan, knowing he would have to do this would be a bit much. Batman indeed always is prepared.

With the final battle between the Justice League and Darkseid about to take place, we'll have to check out the next issue to see what Geoff Johns and Jim Lee have planned and what else they will reveal.

Staff
#1 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been reading Justice League but that emblem thing on Bruce's chest doesn't make sense to me...

#2 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

i love the art!!!

#3 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

good book so far

#4 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it doesn't seem that the Omega Beams have been powered down yet, because in the pre-Flashpoint reality Supes took hits from the Omega Beams before and still stood. As for the Flash being an unknown, that is intriguing to me. For Bruce, I think it is refreshing for him to reveal himself to Hal Jordan. The removal of the emblem from the suit and cowl reminds me all too much of the "armor for advanced infantry" design that Lucius Fox presents to Bruce in Batman Begins. Now all that needs to come is issue #6 so I can finally read the first arc!

#5 Posted by sentryman555 (745 posts) - - Show Bio

What I find interesting is when Batman reveals who he is Hal Jordan replies "Who the hell is Bruce Wayne?" I didn't really understand that cause Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a playboy billionaire. Who could Hal not know who he is?

#6 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555 said:

What I find interesting is when Batman reveals who he is Hal Jordan replies "Who the hell is Bruce Wayne?" I didn't really understand that cause Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a playboy billionaire. Who could Hal not know who he is?

Hal's probably been off planet for a long time. In his own comic he seem estranged to everything on Earth.

#7 Posted by sentryman555 (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: That makes a lot more sense. I just thought the writers were making Hal REALLY arrogant and oblivious. Without knowing the off planet thing I kind of was a bit annoyed with that line lol

#8 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman revealing himself in the middle of the street...under attack, sure, but some people might have been hiding in the apartment and seen all this!!

#9 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

"Unexpected" does not quite cover it. An interesting twist can be "unexpected". This is nothing like that. I have nothing against change as such but I do not see how this was good change. This undermines everything it touches: the powers of Darkseid (although pre-reboot, this did happen at times), the notoriety of the Flash, Batman's entire personality and the coolness of his costume.

I get the feeling that Johns does not get Batman (and the Fourth World) and I am a bit concerned about how it will show in his Earth One.

#10 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

i just bout the ffirst two of the JL on my i phone and i am now officaly a JL fan plus jim lees art is beyond awesome.

#11 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman was written poorly in this issue. In Scott Snyders Batman he doesn't trust anyone, so why would he reveal his identity in the middle of the street to a stranger? Then Batman runs around without his cowl and then exclaims The plan went wrong. What plan? There was no plan. Jeeeeez.

#12 Edited by RaylanReznor (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash being unknown is believable. He uses super speed to save people. The human eye wouldn't detect him.

#13 Posted by LordRequiem (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

Exciting stuff this, I really should get hold of these issues.

#14 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Lee's art was awesome this issue, I felt it was a little off in the previous few.

#15 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait so Batman's emblem is just a sticker? That kind of pisses me off but I haven't read the issue yet so I'll wait.

#16 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Wayne has access to some of the most advanced human technology on the earth but he decided to put a sticker on his costume, God forbid he paint it or make it another piece of armor, that would probably cost too much...

#17 Posted by foxandwall (49 posts) - - Show Bio
@pspin said:
Bruce Wayne has access to some of the most advanced human technology on the earth but he decided to put a sticker on his costume, God forbid he paint it or make it another piece of armor, that would probably cost too much...
Maybe he decide to change the shape of logo every month or some months? 
I mean, the one on the cover is clearly different from the the one in the content... 
#18 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Batman revealing his identity to Green Lantern to show he respects Hal now. I was so sick of the old, never trusts or likes any of his fellow heroes, Batman. This is an improvement.

#19 Posted by foxandwall (49 posts) - - Show Bio
@kingjoeg said:

Batman was written poorly in this issue. In Scott Snyders Batman he doesn't trust anyone, so why would he reveal his identity in the middle of the street to a stranger? Then Batman runs around without his cowl and then exclaims The plan went wrong. What plan? There was no plan. Jeeeeez.

He runs around without his cowl because he want to seems harmless and then he can be carried by a parademon to the place of Superman.   
He exclaims the plan went wrong because he did not he need to go to another planet to bring Superman back.
#20 Posted by feargalr (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey:I didn't notice the bat emblem thing when i was reading it... but it really makes no sense... or him revealing his identity so readily but i suppose it kinda is the end of the world so...

#21 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea the whole Bruce Wayne reveal thing was a total wtf moment for me, but watching Hal Jordan get "curb stomped" was priceless xD

#22 Posted by Dedpool (292 posts) - - Show Bio

A removeable emblem actually makes sense for Batman. If say he need some annonymity in his actions he can just use the suit as a combat suit with no markings. Also, if the whole suiit is armored the emblem doesnt need reniforcement.

#23 Posted by SuperDoahBoy (132 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick: I also always found Batman's paranoia with his teammates rather dumb, but a lot of his fans seemed to like that about him and I have to admit if it wasn't for that paranoia we prob wouldn't have never gotten the "Tower of Babel" story which is one of my favorites.

#24 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

you mean to tell me that bruce wayne and batman are the same person?! wow thats some wild stuff, i never knew the two were one and the same :-P next thing you know yinzll say that clark kent is really superman

#25 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman revealed his identity to prove a point and convince GL that they had to fight this. He says to Hal that they are the only normal humans in this group, and Batman has always been prepared for anything. Maybe he went into the fight prepared to reveal himself to the others if he felt it was necessary, maybe he was planning to do it since issue 1, maybe it will be revealed later on.

#26 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperDoahBoy: Yeah, "Tower of Babel" is a great story.

#27 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Suprman: But how was it necessary? Without it, Hal Jordan would have stopped fighting the alien invasion?

@SuperDoahBoy: His paranoia goes with his "being prepared for anything and always having a plan". He is also insane in all kinds of ways (Year One, Killing Joke, Ego, Arkham Asylum, Absolution, Blind Justice...).

#28 Posted by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio

You would think with all the high tech gadgetry that batman has instead of having to take hi symbol off his suit could change color to match the symbol or vice versa. The symbol should be able to show up and disappear as Batman pleases. I think his "Batman suit" should be able to convert in to the stealth suit he wore in "the Return of Bruce Wayne" or whatever it was called. Also what happened to his cape i didnt see it get blown off and i didnt see him take it off.

You would think if he wanted to be stealthy his suit could become invisible.

#29 Posted by mattydeNero (519 posts) - - Show Bio

I am enjoying how Johns is handling the team. Remember the old JLA and how they all seemed to be the same age? I love how Batman, Flash and Hal are written as the older vets of the squad. Superman is still coming into his own, Wonder Woman is a straight up warrior, Aquaman and Cyborg have just jumped on. I just like that by reading you can tell there is an age and a certain "hero maturity" level for everyone. All the members of the JL have had a bond in some way with one another in the past. I can not wait to see how these new friendships will formulate in the next few months.

#30 Posted by Outside_85 (8012 posts) - - Show Bio

Think you should add a fifth point; Nothing, save weirdness, happened...

#31 Posted by illmatic06 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure what is so unreasonable for Hal to NOT know who is Bruce Wayne. I bet most people here couldnt name most of the real world billionaires outside of a few exceptions like Oprah, Tiger, and Gates.

#32 Posted by juannmartn (16 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey: I agree with you

#33 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been loving this book but I hated everything you just told me about Batman

#34 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Cyborg's ability to see with x-ray vision could be a 5th reveal. Not sure if he was always able to do that but it's cool to consider his eye more than something that can lock on target.

#35 Posted by lorex (939 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people dont recongnise Barry Allen as the Flash because Wally West is the real Flash.

#36 Posted by squidnosis (4 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole new 52 universe is a mess. Some comics havent even been rebooted they just pick up where they left off after blackest night/brightest day. Others pick in choose when there going to reference information you technically dont have yet since the universe was rebooted. The new justice league is really good so far, but yeah in other comics they've gone into great detail about how the emblem is a bullet proof plate, not some vinyl sticker...

#37 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio
@squidnosis: exactly
#38 Posted by Sammo21 (686 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm perfectly OK with Batman's costume having insane features but him revealing who he is antithetical to Batman's nature.

#39 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, amazing Lee art.

#40 Posted by leokearon (1750 posts) - - Show Bio
@squidnosis said:

The whole new 52 universe is a mess. Some comics havent even been rebooted they just pick up where they left off after blackest night/brightest day. Others pick in choose when there going to reference information you technically dont have yet since the universe was rebooted. The new justice league is really good so far, but yeah in other comics they've gone into great detail about how the emblem is a bullet proof plate, not some vinyl sticker...

Same thing happened following Crisis on Infinite Earths
#41 Posted by Casshern (142 posts) - - Show Bio

What!! I've never known the Omega Beam to EVER Transmute Superman or Supergirl, ANIMATED TV SHOW and Original DC Universe. Now I've never seen him hit Powergirl with it.

This is not new.

#42 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

@Azrael66 said:

Honestly, amazing Lee art.

I thought while reading this the same thing, he's stepped his game up and it's become way more kinetic and less "striking" poses.

Also, how long to we see the New Gods?

#43 Posted by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio

What...the...sigh. Yup, I'll continue not reading this book. Keep Geoff Johns as far away from my Batman books as humanly possible.

#44 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

If geoff can't write characters right then he should stop writing the book

Batman revealing his identity to hal. WTF

Wonder woman : lets blind him *facepalm*

#45 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read this before i did my review but we covered some similar things. I totally missed that he took of his bat emblem! O.o But he has it back on in panel 1 on page 19 (not counting advertisement pages).

#46 Edited by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@waruikumo said:

Also, how long to we see the New Gods?

I do not thing we will. There is only one issue left and so far, this is just your basic alien invasion.

@Sammo21 said:

I'm perfectly OK with Batman's costume having insane features but him revealing who he is antithetical to Batman's nature.

In Waid's JLA, it made sense because he had known them and fought by their side for years, this was right after Tower of Babel and he felt like he needed to regain their trust.

The problem here is that he has known Hal for a few hours, does not like him, has no reason to trust him and revealing his identity serves absolutely no purpose.

#47 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio
@lorex: id for sure like to see wally at some point !!
#48 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

The problem here is that he has known Hal for a few hours, does not like him, has no reason to trust him and revealing his identity serves absolutely no purpose.

yep, it was pretty stupid.

#49 Posted by Emperormeister734 (803 posts) - - Show Bio

wow this is just no way to explain it

#50 Posted by Maki_P (275 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like the series anyway

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.