Flash and Green Lantern off the team?

#1 Posted by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? It seems pretty legit when you look at Ivan's latest splash art for a future issue.

If it is true, here are my initial impressions:

• I like the idea of a smaller team. It allows for each character to get their time in the spotlight. Furthermore, I always thought it cheapened JLA membership when there were a bunch of C-list heroes on the team. Anyone remember Big Barda? Geesh.
  • I like that there is no Hal Jordan. The guy is irritating. I confess that I did grow up with Kyle Rayner. But my exposure to Hal as GL has pretty much been this run of JLA and the Ryan Reynolds movie. I realize that may not be fair, but I haven't been impressed. Not one bit.
  • I DON'T like that there is no Barry. Flash has quickly become my second favorite hero behind Batman. I also thought he brought a lot to this team with his police background and his growing power in the speed force. That and he's just about the nicest guy in the DC Universe!
  • I have mixed feelings about having both Captain Marvel and Superman on the team. I don't know, it just seems like Supes, Wonder Woman, and now Marvel, all fulfill similar roles in the power department. I'm sure Johns will do his darndest to differentiate them though.
#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (18231 posts) - - Show Bio

If you've read Green Lantern Annual, you'll know it's most definitely the reason for Hal's absence.

#3 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (10461 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it is official that Hal left the team, but with that cover it may be that Flash will leave in a future issue also

#4 Posted by Crash_Recovery (855 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite Justice League was Grant Morrison's run. It started with the "big 7" and expanded to a pantheon.

Though I didn't know characters like Orion, Big Barda, Plastic Man at the time, I grew to like them and recognize their value. The Justice League works really well when there is a wide set of characters with varied abilities, useful in different situations, not all just "heavy hitters"

Also, characters aren't just in a book because of their powerset, but also which characters are fun to work together.

#5 Posted by htb106 (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

Artists don't always draw all of the characters, I'm sure BARRY'S not off the team.

I'm not sure about Hal though, I haven't read the GL annual.

#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (6032 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal quited in JL 12 and "died" in the GL Annual. I hope Barry didn't quit, though.

Regarding B/C listers in the League: I have no problem with them as long as they're well written. For example:

• JLI/JLE: This incarnation was filled with B/C listers and is one of my favorites incarnations of the League.
  • Morrison's JLA: I really liked it when Morrison brought Plastic Man, Steel, Orion, Barda, Huntress, Zauriel and Aztek to the team.
#7 Posted by Bruxae (16777 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, if they are gonna scrap a member, scrap Cyborg he is a B version of batman anyway.

And id rather keep flash over marvel, I hope he isnt off the team.

#8 Posted by SoA (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

glad hal is gone , surprised flash appears to be gone , glad cap marvel is in and the way the annuals ended i am really looking forward to what comes next ,

#9 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (10562 posts) - - Show Bio

I was happy Hal was gone but I don't want Flash too Leave JL :(

#10 Posted by Captain13 (4347 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been no announcements or developments about Flash's place on the team. This is just a cover and not every character appears on every cover.

It's safer to assume that he's still on the team, but not on the cover.

#11 Posted by Funrush (1446 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13 said:

There have been no announcements or developments about Flash's place on the team. This is just a cover and not every character appears on every cover.

Yes, but he's not on 16 either, and you'd think with a cover like 15, which seems like, and gives the tone that it is supposed to showcase the team in front of a white background, they wouldn't leave anyone out. They could've fit him in front of Shazam, or right of Wonder Woman.

It may be a very likely possibility that something happens to Flash's position with the Cheetah fight.

#12 Posted by edtie97 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I don't like that the flash isn't on the team, but, it just means the less heroes on the team, allow for a better spotlight on others. The only problem the justice league series had, was that the flash never got his special moment. This new justice league team should be good.

#13 Posted by Captain13 (4347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@Captain13 said:

Yes, but he's not on 16 either, and you'd think with a cover like 15, which seems like, and gives the tone that it is supposed to showcase the team in front of a white background, they wouldn't leave anyone out. They could've fit him in front of Shazam, or right of Wonder Woman.

It may be a very likely possibility that something happens to Flash's position with the Cheetah fight.

You're making unwarranted assumptions. This speculation is based on covers--which is always a mistake. Cyborg was not featured on Justice League covers 2-4. Batman and Flash were not on 5 or 6. Aquaman wasn't on or in Issue 6. None of these people is off the team.

http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league/49-42488/

Until we get new information from the publisher or a storyline, then it's silly to think Flash will be going anywhere. There has been no real sign that he's going anywhere yet. It's more likely that his role will be downplayed and Shazam/Cyborg will be the new jokers based on what Johns said at Comic Con.

#14 Posted by Twentyfive (2957 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Hal is MIA. After the GL arc, he'll be back in action. As for Barry, maybe this story does not call for him. Just be patient.

#15 Posted by RedK (2541 posts) - - Show Bio

issue 15 is a cross over with Aquaman dealing with Atlantis so it makes sense that The flash wouldn't be apart of that mission since he would most likely be usless under water

#16 Posted by Funrush (1446 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain13 said:

@Funrush said:

@Captain13 said:

You're making unwarranted assumptions. This speculation is based on covers--which is always a mistake. Cyborg was not featured on Justice League covers 2-4. Batman and Flash were not on 5 or 6. Aquaman wasn't on or in Issue 6. None of these people is off the team.

http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league/49-42488/

Until we get new information from the publisher or a storyline, then it's silly to think Flash will be going anywhere. There has been no real sign that he's going anywhere yet. It's more likely that his role will be downplayed and Shazam/Cyborg will be the new jokers based on what Johns said at Comic Con.

I realize this. I was meaning that 15 looks to serve the same purpose as the cover for 1, and that it may be used for advertisements. The fact that they'd leave Flash out of what looks to be a JL family portrait of sorts is odd.

#17 Posted by Tyrus (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Barry would leave because of Hal - they're the only close ones on the team so I see no reason as to why Flash would follow Lantern out of the League...

#18 Posted by Cap10nate (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash is just moving so fast in that picture that you can't see him

#19 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4672 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal and barry will be back just watch and see.

#20 Posted by Chronus (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope Barry is not removed. It would be better to just remove either Cyborg or Aquaman if DC wanted to remove another character.

#21 Edited by Clark_EL (2919 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106: Barry is dealing with Gorilla Grod in central city.

#22 Posted by atonemented (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Hal off the team I don't read his book

#23 Posted by blackadamFTW (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry better stay on the team. The Justice League just isn't the same without a Flash!

#24 Posted by The Stegman (29605 posts) - - Show Bio
@atonemented said:

He's trapped in the Book of Black. 

@blackadamFTW said:

Barry better stay on the team. The Justice League just isn't the same without a Flash!

Barry's not off the team, he's just busy in Central City. 
#25 Posted by Bogey (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought one of the JL comics explained that Barry couldn't answer the call because of the gorilla invasion.

#26 Posted by fury714 (625 posts) - - Show Bio

"Flash is just moving so fast in that picture that you can't see him" - This is pure win. LMAO.

#27 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (14768 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@atonemented said:

He's trapped in the Book of Black.
this kinda although its not why he left

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.