Five Developments from JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #4

• 75 results
Posted by G-Man (30213 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns isn't taking things easy on JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA. The team was originally put together by Amanda Waller and Steve Trevor as a preemptive precaution to take out the original Justice League. The only thing is, the team members (with one exception) have no idea of this purpose. As they are just getting used to being a team, another threat has surfaced - the Secret Society of Super Villains. Green Arrow had infiltrated them in another guise and barely escaped with his life. In the last issue, it was decided that Catwoman would do the same and try to gain membership into the Society so the League could track them down.

During the course of the issue, we do discover some new tidbits on the team and the New 52 Universe. There will be spoilers for the issue for be sure to read it first. Especially when it comes to the crazy cliffhanger ending.

Arthur Light

In the pre-New 52 Universe, Arthur Light operated as the villain, Dr. Light. Mainly as a villain of the Justice League and Teen Titans, he later was upgraded (or downgraded?) into a vile character during IDENTITY CRISIS, in which it was revealed his mind was later altered by Zatanna after he attacked Sue Dibny in the Justice League Watchtower.

Now Arthur Light is working for A.R.G.U.S. He is the "leading mind on super-human energies." It seems he is a true patriot as he is working to do his best "for America."

The Invisible Jet

Wonder Woman's original mode of transport has long been one of ridicule. With her ability to fly, there really isn't a need for her to have an invisible plane. As the team prepares to embark on tracking down the Secret Society, Trevor takes them on board their transport. The plane had been modified by A.R.G.U.S. and is a "flying fortress equipped with an arsenal capable of taking on a small army." It also has a cloaking device that makes it so not even Superman would be able to detect it.

Stargirl's Rebellion

In the New 52, Stargirl is somewhat of a celebrity. The young hero has become a media sensation and regardless of the power she possesses, she has been used as the JLA's spokesperson. This means she has been held back on missions deemed too dangerous.

After getting left behind once already and Waller making it clear where she stood with her, Stargirl decides she's going on the new mission regardless. Aside from putting her life at risk, Waller also made it clear that he has some information on Courtney that she probably wouldn't want others to know about. If she survives this mission, she'll definitely have some explaining to do to Waller.

The Birth of Dr. Light?

While studying a coin used as a communication device from the Secret Society that was emitting a strange frequency, Light undergoes a transformation.

It almost seems as if the Society wanted the coin to be investigated as Light experiences a 'nasty' message, bathing him in an unknown energy that will likely transform him closer into the character we knew before.

Catwoman's Fate

This is the big one. Normally we don't spoil stuff like this or endings of issues but chances are you've already heard the about Catwoman's fate.

Catwoman found herself bound at the Society's secret mansion. She easily managed to escape when left alone. She came upon Professor Ivo and was soon apprehended again. When the Society's leader asked what her and her "friends" were doing there, she acted as if she didn't know who or what he was talking about. When she refused to answer, he pulled off the handle of his cane and held a gun to her head.

Catwoman claimed if he killed her, Batman would stop at nothing to find him. That's exactly what they want. The trigger was pulled.

Sure there are some ways out of this mess, especially considering some of the players involved in this issue. Even though the cover to next month's issue wants you to believe otherwise. But that's a discussion for another time.

Be sure to pick up the issue to see the other events that occurred as well as the backup revealing more about Martian Manhunter.

Staff
#1 Edited by The Stegman (22705 posts) - - Show Bio

I know she's not gonna stay dead...but poor Selina man, I've always liked her and to see her just give that blank, Psycho-like stare makes me feel bad.

#2 Edited by AmazingWebHead (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

Heavy. Poor Selina indeed.

#3 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who don't think Dr. Light fits on the team? He's not a member yet but he can be seen fighting during Trinity War.

#4 Edited by ComradeCold (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: yeah i know if it was very well delivered and actually would have been really impressive if there was even a moderate chance that it could last

#5 Edited by 4_color_image (217 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who don't think Dr. Light fits on the team? He's not a member yet but he can be seen fighting during Trinity War.

I have been questioning Dr. Light's appearance for months! It really disturbs me that he is there.

#6 Edited by animehunter (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

You might find this interesting in regards to Catwoman's "death"

1-Analyzing Johns' "Justice League of America" #4 Cliffhanger Ending

2-JLA #4's Shocking Cliffhanger: What Does It Mean? [SPOILERS]

Regarding the second I would go with

Guess #4: She didn't die

The basic idea: What we saw isn't what actually happened.

The clues: This is a comic book cliffhanger. Expect the unexpected.

That could have been a hologram of Selina, and a recording of her death is going to be sent to Batman and the world to show the Society's powers.

Besides, we just saw Professor Ivo's robot versions of several DC heroes. When Catwoman was shot, who's to say that wasn't a robot version of her? Maybe that red stuff coming out of her head was... you know... dyed motor oil?

Pros/cons: The motor oil idea aside, this is actually one of the most likely options, because cliffhangers are often not what they seem. And it could work really well, depending on what twist is revealed in the next issue.

#7 Posted by utkanflash (385 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Selina.. its make me sad right now ?!

#8 Edited by BR_Havoc (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just shock for shock value and that is one of my most hated things that the comic industry relies on now.

I doubt very much Selina is dead there will be some switcharoo or something I mean remember that Journey in to Mystery were Sif beheaded her brother at the end of the issue but surprise the next issue we learn it was not him. The next issue will ether begin with Catwoman coming back to life via she has nine lives or Waller brings her back from the dead.

#9 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8242 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to know who is the leader of SS

#10 Edited by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Two words: Lazarus Pit

#11 Posted by Saren (25209 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly if it weren't for that ending, I'd find the fact that they revamped Rapey McRapist the Rapeman into a patriotic hero dude far more questionable.

#12 Posted by kid Apollo (705 posts) - - Show Bio

no no no two words... MARTIAN MANHUNTER. shape shift into Catwoman, play dead for a while, then stroll outta there like it was no biggie

#13 Posted by Mowgli22 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

it was awesome.

#14 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

no no no two words... MARTIAN MANHUNTER. shape shift into Catwoman, play dead for a while, then stroll outta there like it was no biggie

I didn't consider this... But if I remember correctly, Manhunter was fighting Shaggy Man with the rest of the team wasn't he?

#15 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

The JLA did need a counter for Firestorm, my guess after reading the last Justice League and remembering this cover turned out to be true and Dr. Light is the counter to Firestorm.

#16 Posted by soumya (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

or may be Samsara Serum

#17 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnnygat: I', willing to bet he could turn into Cyborg's nemesis too at some point since he has that same "best in XXXXX scientific field" thing going.

#18 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

oh poor selina. oh wait no. HUUUURRRRAAAYYY!!! maybe the crap that is catwoman will now finally stop.

#19 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (228 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8242 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Doctor Light is a good match against firestorm

#21 Edited by soumya (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Dr. Light already appeared in the pages of Teen Titans?If I remember correctly,he did in issue 17.

#22 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should think more about JLD as well, they are six members against nine and like eight members. But Ragman on there and the I'm happy.

#23 Edited by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@soumya: yeah, i was going to say that too

Dr Light already appeared on TT.

also

the newest theory is that It was Black Orchid who was shot, not Catwoman

It would explain why Catwoman 19 and JLA 3 had completely different retellings of the same event, and that way Black Orchid would had been shot the same way that she was shot on Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid.

ithas a ton of problems but it is the most likely scenario.

#24 Posted by Omnicrono (1571 posts) - - Show Bio

I pitty the fools that "killed" Catwoman. They brought this on themselves... Batman is going to go on a rampage.

#25 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

@soumya said:

@hart7668 said:

or may be Samsara Serum

That could lead to some insane developments if the Suicide Squad was revealed to the DCU at large. That has so much potential to be epic.

#26 Posted by TrueMarvel (194 posts) - - Show Bio

DC comics once again showing how little they respect and value women. First Star Fires transformation into a slut, breaking up one of the only female groups, Almost every female hero in DC comics has GOT to show some skin, killing off perhaps the most famous and well-known female characters in DC comics in such an undignified way. Nice job DC comics. FOr a company that's apparently so mature and old, Marvel sure does seem to treat its women better

#27 Posted by Cavemold (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

So Catwoman didn't die.. Oh Lordy

#28 Posted by clayscarface (100 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by Dernman (14604 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Don't like Manhunter's new origin. IMO doesn't feel connected to what's been built already for him in the 52.
  • Wait was that a Yellow Lantern in that scene? So you're telling me that the Martian's died within the past five uears and nobody from Earth ever noticed a world full of Martians just hanging around?
  • An invisible plane that Superman can't see? Ignoring the fact that Superman encountered Starfire's ship from a more advanced society and saw through that?
  • If Martian's are invulnerable to fire and heat then how did they die that way?
  • What about how in Stormwatch it was mentioned that he really wasn't the only Martian left?
#30 Edited by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio
@dernman said:

What about how in Stormwatch it was mentioned that he really wasn't the only Martian left?

well Stormwatch was completely rebooted so thats the explanation.

#31 Edited by bloggerboy (532 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite the issue having a lot of things going for it I didn't like it that much. It was alright but having Dr. Light back and the shock death of Catwoman are pretty bad. The way she died reminded me very much the way Maxwell Lord shot Ted Kord too.

#32 Edited by StMichalofWilson (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. Can't wait to see what happens next issue!

#33 Posted by SlamAdams (274 posts) - - Show Bio

@soumya said:

Isn't Dr. Light already appeared in the pages of Teen Titans?If I remember correctly,he did in issue 17.

Are the Justice League books still taking place a few years from the rest of the books?

#34 Edited by dizzybone011 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bit mixed on seeing Selina dead, though her comics (new 52) have been terrible so far...she didn't deserve to die for it.

#35 Edited by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Catwoman is dead????

#36 Edited by kid Apollo (705 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: ... how dare you find holes in my logic for a book i have yet to read!!!! so much for that theory!

#37 Posted by Dernman (14604 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

What about how in Stormwatch it was mentioned that he really wasn't the only Martian left?

well Stormwatch was completely rebooted so thats the explanation.

I'm not positive thats going to stick really. It almost seems temporary.

#38 Posted by soumya (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@slamadams: no,not really...Actually JLA is established in the present timeline.

#39 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally I can bloody post. Ahem anyway as a major Green Arrow fan would this be worth picking up, I also like Hawkman but haven't got enough moneys for everything. So thats a bonus, but I am more interested in Green Arrow than the team as a whole and am wondering if I should pick this up.

#40 Edited by Birthright (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman can't spot it? Lol

He can hear them breathe

#41 Edited by doombot890 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

who was the guy who shot Selena? He has the colour scheme and complexion of The Joker and the "Ha" after ever chunk of dialogue but he can't be him right!?

or is he the outsider from flashpoint....in the new 52.....

#42 Posted by doombot890 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@birthright: also wasnt it shown that he can use his hearing as a sort of radar. also couldnt he see the air displacement that a plane that size could make? or the heat/fumes they're emitting

#43 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all things kinda off in this issue, claiming that Superman won't be able to see the plane is the most laughable. I'll keep reading just to hear that explanation.

#44 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be angrier about Catwoman's death if I thought it would stick. The only thing really shocking about it is that DC didn't spoil it in advanced.

#45 Posted by mattwing87 (426 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Batman can handle loosing another Bat family character!

#48 Posted by ovidkid (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: why does everyone go to that don't you guys pay attention it been confirmed in Batman incorporated vol 2 issue 9 there are no more pits stop bringing it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.