Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3312 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

DoubleToasted: Justice League, Sam Jackson, & Anthony Mackie

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

In their review for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Korey Coleman and Martin Thomas of DoubleToasted.com, formerly of Spill.com, discuss the need for heroes of color, like Green Lantern John Stewart, in the DC Cinematic Universe.

Just goes to show why the DCCU needs to have the same demographic appeal as the MCU.

Find the Full Audio From The Captain America Winter Soldier Review Here: https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman/the-korey-and-martin-show-17

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

Lol, these guys were freaking hilarious. I agree, DC needs to step their game up. I'm a big Hal Jordan fan but John would be a more than welcome addition and /or alternative (provided they don't mess him or the GL mythos up again). There's also characters like Firestorm,Cyborg, Bronze Tiger,Vixen, and Static who would make excellent additions to the DCCU.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Morgan Freeman >>>>> Sam Jackson > Halle Berry > Wesley Snipes > Anthony Mackie

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy said:

Morgan Freeman >>>>> Sam Jackson > Halle Berry > Wesley Snipes > Anthony Mackie

More like movie Falcon > movie Nick Fury > movie Heimdall > movie War Machine/Iron Patriot > movie Blade > movie Storm >>>>>>>>>>> movie Lucius Fox >>>>>>>>>>> movie Perry White.

=P

=D

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: I disagree, I didn't like Fury or War Machine or Storm. And Blade >>>> Heimdall. Haven't seen Cap 2 yet so can't say anything about Falcon.

And this isn't even a fair comparison. MCU introduced a major Black character in the third movie and even then he was a sidekick. Avengers didn't have a black superhero. After 9 MCU movies, Marvel still haven't made a solo black superhero movie, Nick Fury isn't even a Superhero and Falcon and War Machine seem more like sidekicks. DCCU hasn't even started yet, MoS is only one movie from DCCU.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I just hope that if WB plans for diversity, they get actors on the same level as Sam Jackson, Don Cheadle, and Anthony Mackie, because I love those guys.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy said:

@captain13: I disagree, I didn't like Fury or War Machine or Storm. And Blade >>>> Heimdall. Haven't seen Cap 2 yet so can't say anything about Falcon.

And this isn't even a fair comparison. MCU introduced a major Black character in the third movie and even then he was a sidekick. Avengers didn't have a black superhero. After 9 MCU movies, Marvel still haven't made a solo black superhero movie, Nick Fury isn't even a Superhero and Falcon and War Machine seem more like sidekicks. DCCU hasn't even started yet, MoS is only one movie from DCCU.

"Fair?" lol. Even if I don't say it, millions will. People really just care about results, and WB has had years to put out something.

After people get used to something, they don't want to go backwards. [Insert Analogy Here]

Anyway, this isn't about talking down DC, but at the end of the day the MCU has 5 superheroes of color (War Machine, Heimdall, Hogun, Deathlok, and Falcon), with Power Man/Luke Cage on the way, and the DCCU has to catch up in more ways then one. I hope they can do it, because there's only one place: 1st place.

Loading Video...

And I like DC, so I want to see them step it up.

I'm happy to hear you have your preferences though. :D Good to know so many people like superhero movies still.

P.S. War Machine may be a sidekick, but he's still a superhero. And Falcon isn't a sidekick at all. He's more like Black Widow. He's not a spin off and can stand on his own. I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in a Thor movie or Guardians of the Galaxy or something besides Captain America.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

I just hope that if WB plans for diversity, they get actors on the same level as Sam Jackson, Don Cheadle, and Anthony Mackie, because I love those guys.

Agreed. There are a lot of talented actors out there.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: I agree DC needs to catch up to Marvel but how is this a competition when DCCU hasn't even started yet and MCU is 9 movies ahead, they need some time that's all, it took Marvel 20 years to catch up to DC. Btw Hogun and Heimdall aren't heroes, they're supporting characters and when did Deathlok appeared in a movie?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy said:

@captain13: I agree DC needs to catch up to Marvel but how is this a competition when DCCU hasn't even started yet and MCU is 9 movies ahead, they need some time that's all, it took Marvel 20 years to catch up to DC. Btw Hogun and Heimdall aren't heroes, they're supporting characters and when did Deathlok appeared in a movie?

You have to make a lot of qualifications to try to make Marvel try to seem look bad, lol. And there's no reason WB has to wait 9 films before introducing a hero of color, nor is there a reason for them to be 9 movies behind, so, yes, it is "fair."

Also, I don't consider it a competition, since everyone can win, but the DCCU needs to come strong, like the MCU, who have Luke Cage, Deathlok, Falcon, Hogun, Heimdall, War Machine, Iron Patriot, etc.

Again, ignoring me, there will be other people who will or won't watch the films due to limited demographics. Basic marketing. Fact of life. Not an argument.

Anyway, DC properties tend to be diverse in other mediums, so I'm not concerned.

DC just need to keep doing what they did in the past with the Justice League franchise :D
    DC just need to keep doing what they did in the past with the Justice League franchise :D

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: I'm not trying to make Marvel look bad and I didn't say that they need to wait 9 movies to introduce a hero of color. What I'm trying to say is you're comparing 9 movies against 1 movie. And MCU hasn't introduce Luke or Deathlok in the movies yet and they have yet to make a Superhero movie who's lead is not white.

I want DCCU to have heroes of color too but not because Marvel have more heroes of color, I don't care about Marvel.

Btw a BvS or JLA movie will make money no matter what. Fact of life. Not an argument.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

@rustyroy said:

@captain13: I'm not trying to make Marvel look bad and I didn't say that they need to wait 9 movies to introduce a hero of color. What I'm trying to say is you're comparing 9 movies against 1 movie. And MCU hasn't introduce Luke or Deathlok in the movies yet and they have yet to make a Superhero movie who's lead is not white.

I want DCCU to have heroes of color too but not because Marvel have more heroes of color, I don't care about Marvel.

Btw a BvS or JLA movie will make money no matter what. Fact of life. Not an argument.

I also hope that the potential DCCU has a lot of female characters who aren't just sidekicks or work for this (insert this company/organisation). Introducing Wonder Woman is a good start (especially since she's one of true female superheroines) but I hope they follow with others like Black Canary (No Arrow version), Vixen, Big Barda, Star Sapphire etc and make them central to plots.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy said:

Sure, it will make money. Selling chocolate and lemonade also makes money. The studio wants to make as much money as possible. You always make more money when you broaden your demo--see almost every summer blockbuster ever. That's why marvel movies are so diverse and why they customize little scenes to different countries. Winter Soldier did this a lot with one scene in particular.

And we're talking universes. The DCCU doesn't have heroes of color on film or on tv--sidekick or otherwise. None of the TV shows they are producing have non-white male leads. I hope they change that within 1-2 films. Heck, Marvel had Nick Fury in Iron Man (movie 1) and Heimdall & Hogun by Thor (movie 3). No reason why WB can't do it by movie 2 and no excuse, when compared to Marvel, for not doing it by movie 3. Heck, Fox had a black heroine in movie 1 (X-Men).

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

@rustyroy said:

I also hope that the potential DCCU has a lot of female characters who aren't just sidekicks or work for this (insert this company/organisation). Introducing Wonder Woman is a good start (especially since she's one of true female superheroines) but I hope they follow with others like Black Canary (No Arrow version), Vixen, Big Barda, Star Sapphire etc and make them central to plots.

Yeah, I think they are already going this direction with Wonder Woman. I really hope she is more than a side character. I mean, Black Widow and Falcon played big parts in Winter Soldier, and that turned out really well.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

@lyrafay said:

@rustyroy said:

Yeah, I think they are already going this direction with Wonder Woman. I really hope she is more than a side character. I mean, Black Widow and Falcon played big parts in Winter Soldier, and that turned out really well.

Yeah me too. I mean when they announce Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, I kept on wondering (pun intended) if she'll have a big part or a small part. But I hope that's big, I mean you can't have the DC trinity and not let Wonder Woman do something BIG!!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, it will make money. Selling chocolate and lemonade also makes money. The studio wants to make as much money as possible. You always make more money when you broaden your demo--see almost every summer blockbuster ever. That's why marvel movies are so diverse and why they customize little scenes to different countries. Winter Soldier did this a lot with one scene in particular.

And we're talking universes. The DCCU doesn't have heroes of color on film or on tv--sidekick or otherwise. None of the TV shows they are producing have non-white male leads. I hope they change that within 1-2 films. Heck, Marvel had Nick Fury in Iron Man (movie 1) and Heimdall & Hogun by Thor (movie 3). No reason why WB can't do it by movie 2 and no excuse, when compared to Marvel, for not doing it by movie 3. Heck, Fox had a black heroine in movie 1 (X-Men).

I'm sure DCCU will be diverse too, they've got a British, an Israeli and Lex Luthor is Jewish and Rock is in talk to play a DC character. Btw if we're talking about universes, there has been no indication that DCCU is connected to Arrow or any other DC superhero show. Nick Fury was in a 2 minutes after credits scene of Iron Man 1. Heimdall and Hogun were supporting characters.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy: With powers. DC can't say the same, can they? They have no superpowered people of color yet. They should work on that asap.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RustyRoy

@captain13: There's technically only two Superhuman characters in MoS..... And why does having powers matter? They were still supporting characters.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy: They were more than just supporting characters. They were empowered and involved in fight scenes and key plot moments, unlike Lucius and Perry. They weren't just bystanders. Superpowers + Heroism = Superhero.

Anyway, you're not really making an argument, and you know where I stand. I know where you stand.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hmm this is a long shot but I wouldn't mind a Black Lightning/blue Devil buddy cop movie were they fight the supernatural.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: So Batman =/= Superhero? And many action and war movies many people fight side by side with the heroes, it doesn't make them heroes of the movies, if that isn't the case then Harry Lennix and Christopher Meloni can also be considered more than just supporting characters.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy said:

@captain13: So Batman =/= Superhero? And many action and war movies many people fight side by side with the heroes, it doesn't make them heroes of the movies, if that isn't the case then Harry Lennix and Christopher Meloni can also be considered more than just supporting characters.

A hero is one who does something heroic (which Heimdall and Hogun are).

A super is someone with superpowers (which Heimdall and Hogun have).

Thus, Heimdall and Hogun are superheroes.

Seriously, why are you stuck here? If you disagree, just move on because nothing you say is convincing.

No matter what DC needs heroes of color on screen because that's what viewers want. Nothing you're saying changes that. At the end of the day, WB's team is all white, then there will be complaints, which they probably know--especially since the MCU has several HOC. Just listen to the clip in the OP.

Anyway, if you still don't understand, don't expect a response.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: Well I disagree, nothing you're saying is convincing to me. I consider Heimdall and Hogun as supporting characters, warriors not Superheroes.

I definitely prefer DCCU to have more HoC but I'd still watch the movies if there's none.

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ComicNerd105

I had casting ideas for a Justice League film with diversity.

Kal-El/ Clark Kent/ Superman - Henry Cavill, Bruce Wayne/ Batman - Ben Affleck, Princess Diana/ Diana Prince/ Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot, Shiera Hall/ Hawkgirl(or woman) - Jessica Biel, Victor Stone/ Cyborg - Michael B. Jordan or Columbus Short, John Stewart/ Green Lantern - Robert (Christopher) Riley, J'onn J'onzz/ Martian Manhunter - Dwayne Johnson, Kara Zor-El/ Supergirl - Claire Holt, Barry Allen/ Flash - Liam McIntyre, Aquaman - Justin Hartley.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had casting ideas for a Justice League film with diversity.

Kal-El/ Clark Kent/ Superman - Henry Cavill, Bruce Wayne/ Batman - Ben Affleck, Princess Diana/ Diana Prince/ Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot, Shiera Hall/ Hawkgirl(or woman) - Jessica Biel, Victor Stone/ Cyborg - Michael B. Jordan or Columbus Short, John Stewart/ Green Lantern - Robert (Christopher) Riley, J'onn J'onzz/ Martian Manhunter - Dwayne Johnson, Kara Zor-El/ Supergirl - Claire Holt, Barry Allen/ Flash - Liam McIntyre, Aquaman - Justin Hartley.

Dude, nice choices

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ComicNerd105

@captain13: Thanks, I really wish this would happen with this exact cast. With Kevin Grevioux as Darkseid, Gina Carano or Jodi Lyn O'Keefe as Big Barta, Nina Dobrev as Lashina, Margarita Leviva as Gilotina, Queen Latifahas Stompa, Kathy Bates as Granny Goodness, and Antje Traue as Faora-Ul. I want Faora to be in a Justice League film and become a fury like Kara was starting too in Batman/Superman: Apocalypse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.