Cyborg=Martian Manhunter: Why Cyborg Can't Hold An Ongoing Series

#1 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

When Cyborg was rebooted in the New52, I had a lot of hope that DC would finally have an African American character who could hold a solo book. I was wrong.

For years, Martian Manhunter was the only Justice League member who couldn't hold an ongoing series. He couldn't hold one for the following reasons:

1. He was a sad sack ("The only interesting thing about me is that my entire race was wiped out."-J'onn J'onzz, The Martian Manhunter)

2. He had no notable villains or even an arch-nemesis.

3. He had no supporting characters or interesting mythology.

4. He had no sex appeal for readers (I'm serious. There's a reason why Aquaman is shirtless all the time and why Catwoman loves to show cleavage. Other characters with sex appeal include Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman).

Who is the only other Justice League founder with the exact same issues? Cyborg.

Characters like them can't hold books. They're just don't have real appeal. They're not interesting. No one wants to walk a day in their shoes.

My prediction is that since Cyborg can't hold a book, he'll slowly take over J'onn's role as the "heart" of the Justice League--the guy who has nothing else going for him.

Victor has no life outside of the Justice League. He has no real friends. And I'm very disappointed.

----------------

Unlike a lot of people, I gave Cyborg a chance. Now I just wish John Stewart were a founder instead.

/rantover

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13639 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't the reboot the perfect chance to -I don't know- give these characters all of these things? Well technically MM had most of these, it's just that no one focused on him long enough to develop them. And how was MM the only character not to have his own series? Zatanna, Red Tornado, Black Canary, Elongated Man, Vixen, Vibe, Gypsy, Commander Steel and so-on all lacked their own series. Most of them STILL have never had their own series. Anyway my point is if writers ever expect to make characters important then they will have to put some work into developing them.

#3 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13639 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still going to give Victor and j'onn a chance and pray that here is some writer out there with the talent and testicular fortitude keep these characters in the spotlight.

#4 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade think you're right about cyborg. i wish they used either john stewart too.

#5 Posted by Black_Claw (3091 posts) - - Show Bio

I still have hope for Cyborg. That blog post by Captain13 I read about Cyborg having his own ongoing had some pretty good ideas.

#6 Posted by BlackWind (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01: I agree. John is often stated to have big potential among the human lanterns, but instead of expanding it in this all new world, they just use Hal Jordan again. This was their chance to make him more than just an overly serious military man who nukes planets.

#7 Posted by Superdork (912 posts) - - Show Bio

I see what you're saying. I'll hold on just a bit longer. Also, John Stewart rocks!

#8 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

I think all of those problems could be easily fixed for both characters.

Give them both a supporting cast, build a rogues galley, and pump up their mythology. It's not the characters fault it's the writer's.

(and can we tone down how robotic Vic is? He looks like a transformer. Tone down the bulky, clunky armor and sleek him up PLEASE)

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, give it a chance. It took years for some of the leaguers to get an ongoing.

There is already a Cyborg ongoing in the making. It'll be out soon.

#10 Posted by Black_Claw (3091 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait there is?! Sweet! Can't wait to read it!

#11 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Where was this announced??

#12 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow....I'm appalled that you would make such outlandish claims against MM. For shame...

#13 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked the Martian Manhunter series from '98 to '01. It wasn't perfect, but what book is? We can't have Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder writing everything. Martian Manhunter and Cyborg just need quality writers, there's plenty of room for interesting stories.

#14 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13639 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

This. specifically Zatanna, Red Tornado, Black Canary, Elongated Man, Vixen, Vibe, Gypsy, Commander Steel, Blue Beetle and more

@JSH92 said:

Wow....I'm appalled that you would make such outlandish claims against MM. For shame...

This also.

@Mbecks14 said:

I think all of those problems could be easily fixed for both characters.

Give them both a supporting cast, build a rogues galley, and pump up their mythology. It's not the characters fault it's the writer's.

(and can we tone down how robotic Vic is? He looks like a transformer. Tone down the bulky, clunky armor and sleek him up PLEASE)

This doubly, Give him the damn Justice League: Doom look already DC!!!!!!

#15 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

@sethysquare said:

Yes, link please?

#16 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@Mbecks14 said:

@sethysquare said:

Yes, link please?

It was asked in one of the cons. Geoff Johns has said there is an ongoing but they would like to use JL to give Cyborg more exposure for the first year.

#17 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Funrush said:

@Mbecks14 said:

@sethysquare said:

Yes, link please?

It was asked in one of the cons. Geoff Johns has said there is an ongoing but they would like to use JL to give Cyborg more exposure for the first year.

Ah. Well, that makes sense.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (21215 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: It's only been one frickin year. Give the reboot some time. And Johns has said that the Thrones of Atlantis crossover with Aquaman will give Cyborg his defining character and function on the League. Apparently. There's something to keep your hopes up.

#19 Posted by herrweis (437 posts) - - Show Bio

I totally think Cyborg could carry his own series.Think about it,he was a MAJOR part of the New Teen Titans series which was as popular as Uncanny Xmen in the 80's.Yes,I know that was 30 years ago,but that series and the "Judas Contract" storyline is help in such high regard that it has made his Titans team iconic.He was a big part of the previous Teen Titans series and ,well...he hasn't really been out of the public eye since he first appeared.I don't care for his portrayal so far in the new '52,but I think the track record of previous incarnations and respect for the character would bring the book some success.Of course a top writer would kick ass too.

#20 Posted by Teerack (7431 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Night Watch prove Martian Manhunter couldn't hold one either? lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.