Bringing back some classic JLA villains to the New 52

#1 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to be light on the details here, but these are some baddies I'd really enjoy seeing during the current run on Justice League. Feel free to share any thoughts if you agree/disagree.

5) Injustice League - I love super villain teams! I'm pretty confident it's just a matter of time before a story with the Injustice League shows up again. I'm not too particular about the roster used. Obviously it should probably be made up of appropriate villains who counter each individual league member. I will say that I'd really like to see Bane be a member though.

4) Starro - We've read a lot of Starro stories over the years, but I'd like to see them re-imagine this villain for the new 52. Give us something besides the giant floating star fish.

3) Vandal Savage - Made a bigger impact in the animated series than in the comic books. And frankly we haven't really see him do a whole lot so far in the new 52. I just feel like his character is really interesting. Furthermore, he has all the required pieces to go toe-to-toe against the World's Greatest Superheroes.

2) Darkseid - Let's face it. The way things went down in Justice League issue 6 didn't really do this character...justice. Despite my terrible pun, Darkseid needs to bounce back in a big way.

1) Prometheus - Made famous by Morrison's run on JLA. I would very much like to see Prometheus make an appearance in the new 52. New villains can be like new superheroes in that they're difficult to establish and legitimize. Prometheus built quite the reputation for badassery in an amazingly short space of time. Bring him back and make him a consistent part of this book. No need to reinvent the wheel here. There hasn't been enough Prometheus stories.

#2 Posted by SHAZAM117 (3299 posts) - - Show Bio

I was personally looking foward to New52 Amazo...but I guess he's a jobber now, based off of Justice League #8 -_-

#3 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they need to hold off on Darkseid for a while... he is a fantastic villain, but needs to be used sparingly. If Darkseid is involved, the story should be BIG, and using him too much would take away from his impact.

I completely agree on Injustice League, Starro, Vandal Savage and Prometheus. I would love to see Starro re-imagined or modernized.

As for adding to the list... I would love to see Despero make a splash in the New 52. He's one of the few characters with both brain and brawn enough to match the JLA in both categories.

#4 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, or Rama Khan. It would be cool to have him around again.

#5 Posted by TheCannon (19008 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. We need Vandal Savage back.

#6 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

secret society of super villain is already coming back in JLA. There are further plans for Darkseid as well

#7 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Would love to see Injustice League with roster of Joker, Lex, Cheetah, Captain Cold, Black Adam, Black Manta, and Deathstroke.

Seeing Prometheus and Starro return would pretty boss, too.

@SHAZAM117 said:

I was personally looking foward to New52 Amazo...but I guess he's a jobber now, based off of Justice League #8 -_-

Yeah, I would've loved for Amazo to have a bigger impact.

#8 Posted by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree with the OP, essp the villain team/duo one!

Promo is cool. Was he just in that one JLA arc (a bunch of reporters/whatever are touring the watchtower, he attacks it and takes down the league one by one...), or are there others?

#9 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@britsera said:

Promo is cool. Was he just in that one JLA arc (a bunch of reporters/whatever are touring the watchtower, he attacks it and takes down the league one by one...), or are there others?

He came back in the "World War III" story and had a rematch with Batman which was awesome. He also plays a major role in the Justice League: Cry for Justice mini series (which ran in 2009 and 2010).

#10 Posted by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

@britsera said:

He came back in the "World War III" story and had a rematch with Batman which was awesome. He also plays a major role in the Justice League: Cry for Justice mini series (which ran in 2009 and 2010).

Oh, I remember the re-match now too. It's been a while since I went through the old JL. Was Cry for Justice good? I might check it out.

#11 Posted by Sparky_BW (205 posts) - - Show Bio

Id like to see Vandal and Starro back!

#12 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind seeing the Royal Flush Gang

#13 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@suprman: Agreed and would be great if they still have his pre-new 52 status,as a criminal organization at a global level, capable
to compete with Intergang.

#14 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the entire list, save for Vandal Savage. The man has never interested me in the slightest before (though he was admittedly, pretty bada*s in Young Justice), and after reading the Black Ring, still don't particularly care for him. I'd much rather see Despero get some spotlight as a recurring team-buster of the League. Normally I'd go with the Shaggy Man for the team-busting job, but he appears to have been taken by the JLA.

#15 Posted by SUNMAN (7256 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid and the Secret Society have been forshadowed since the first arc of Justice League its pretty obvious they will be back.

Darkseid isn't a villain you squander you save him for some big story lines. As for the Secret Society or Injustice League/Legion of Doom (so many different names for these super villain groups lol) I have a feeling they will appear in Trinity War. If not Trinity War than it would be soon after that.

#16 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2246 posts) - - Show Bio

@imagine_man15 said:

I think they need to hold off on Darkseid for a while... he is a fantastic villain, but needs to be used sparingly. If Darkseid is involved, the story should be BIG, and using him too much would take away from his impact.

I completely agree on Injustice League, Starro, Vandal Savage and Prometheus. I would love to see Starro re-imagined or modernized.

As for adding to the list... I would love to see Despero make a splash in the New 52. He's one of the few characters with both brain and brawn enough to match the JLA in both categories.

Despero is appearing in Justice League #20

@shazam117 said:

Agreed. I was really mad how Johns did that to him. And what gets me even more is when the Cyborg fans are saying for him to be Cyborg's archenemy when he is and always will be a JL villain.

And I also really want Starro to be back. As well as some of the JL's supporting characters like Snapper Carr, L-Ron, and Catherine Cobert (though the latter two were more JLI). As well as the Secret Sanctuary (the JL's mountain headquarters).

#17 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Prof Ivo build an army of amazo androids similar to the sentinels. Mech suits are still quite popular and would like an update on weapons master as a maker of mech suits. Dr Arthur Light seems to be back and maybe it is time for more rapes. Too much violence in comics but too little sex in comics.

#18 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

want a cool amazo story

#19 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: Agreed with a update version of Weapon Master,but an army of Amazos....nope

#20 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

Depreso

#21 Edited by jwalser3 (5170 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: I know she isn't classic,but would be good to see Queen of Fables messing withe Justice League again.

#24 Posted by tec79 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love a return of the White Martians. I felt Cheetah being used as a JL villain worked out pretty well, it would be nice to see other villains from across the DCU used in a similar way. That would be a good way to keep the enemies the League faces fresh and raise the threat level and profiles of some characters.

#25 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

@tec79: Let's see if they will be mentioned in Martian Manhunter's back-up

#26 Posted by tec79 (167 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by Captain13 (3395 posts) - - Show Bio

The Centre

#28 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't a classic villain and New Frontier was elseworld

#32 Edited by Captain13 (3395 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay then,...

I'd like to see an updated version of the Injustice Gang.

Lex Luthor (Leader) vs Superman

Deathstroke vs Batman

Cheetah vs Wonder Woman

Rankorr vs John Stewart (I know Rankorr is an anti-hero)

Captain Cold vs Barry Allen

#33 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Injustice Gang/Injustice League idea,since already exist the Secret Society and the names are sooo childish and unnecessary,but I'd like to see an update version of Crime Syndicate as antimatter versions with different power sets.

#34 Posted by matchesmalone21 (8969 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Injustice Gang/Injustice League idea,since already exist the Secret Society and the names are sooo childish and unnecessary,but I'd like to see an update version of Crime Syndicate as antimatter versions with different power sets.

#35 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Injustice Gang/Injustice League idea,since already exist the Secret Society and the names are sooo

childish and unnecessary,but I'd like to see an update version of Crime Syndicate as antimatter versions with different power sets.

#36 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Prometheus more than words can describe, so I do not think he should return. I'd love to see some more Starro, though

#37 Posted by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

We got Despero,Darkseid was the first to appear and now there's a Secret Society of Supervillains building up in Justice League of America.

#38 Posted by RustyRoy (13258 posts) - - Show Bio

White Martians.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.