gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA was set up to be a team to take on the Justice League. From the first issue, we've seen that isn't the only fight they're preparing for. With Amanda Waller and Steve Trevor becoming aware of the Secret Society of Super Villains, the plan has been to have the team take them on as practice for the inevitable clase with the League. By attempting to send in a member as a mole into the Society, they are getting closer to actually discovering who they are.

Of course things won't go as smoothly as they hope.

Geoff Johns delivers a lot in this issue. It's the type of story where a lot happens in what feels like a few pages. Unlike other stories where this happens, it doesn't feel rushed or forced. We get a gradual build up as the event lead to a pretty crazy ending. It is definitely not an ending you'll see coming. Even though we're all comic book veterans in regards to insane cliffhanger endings in comics, this is still a moment where you'll want to ask Johns, "What the heck are you doing?"

Brett Booth begins his two-issue guest stint as the penciller. Right away he shows off by demonstrating Catwoman's agile nature and even the headshots of the members on the role call page gives tiny glimpses of their personalities. It's subtle touches like this that make me enjoy Booth's art. Norm Rapmund's inks and Andrew Dalhouse's colors adds to the entire package.

This issue's backup focus on Martian Manhunter by Matt Kindt continues to allow us into the mind of J'onn. It's great seeing his past unfold, getting these glimpses into his mind and thoughts. Martian Manhunter isn't a new character, even in the New 52, but it feels like we're only now getting to know him.

The Bad

Some may not agree but Catwoman's costume and proportions look a little silly on the cover.

Stargirl's hair looks different in the issue compared to her headshot image. Maybe it's the wind blowing through it?

The Verdict

Each issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA has been full of intrigue and excitement. Geoff Johns is weaving a complex and subtle web. With each issue, seeing more of the Secret Society of Super Villains, we're starting to see a different side to the New 52 Universe. The idea of this 'Society' being hidden and operating behind the scenes for the last 'five years' in the DCU is fascinating. Brett Booth's pencils are great and captures the feel and action of each character. The backup on Martian Manhunter continues to add depth to who he is. This is the sort of comic that makes me want to read more.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does this mean that Catwoman's series is getting cancelled?

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Fhiz
    Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Radread

Also, look at what is said in the last two issues of Trinity War: "A Justice League member thought dead is trapped on the other side."

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Catwoman fixed her zipper. If this issue came out last month it would have been a WTF moment.
    I really enjoyed this issue and I can't wait to see who will be a part of the Secret Society.

stevencarver_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By stevencarver_

First, I love these Manhunter backups and I want to see more of them. Second, I totally forgot what I was going to say. It was important too, worthy of lots of spoiler markers. UGH.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Hurry up Friday! I really wanna read this!

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sasquatch888

I'm loving this title but a guest artist already ??? in issue # 4 and 5??? and on a hyped up book like this? C'mon DC please, Its annoying and it ruins the flow of the story. wtf guys plan better .

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#8  Edited By pspin

Highlight of the issue: The Invisible Jet!

Overall this was a solid issue. Those Martian Manhunter back ups are really great.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good issue. lots of cliff hangers. The Martian Manhunter story was a lot of fun too, and took a little bit of that creepiness that Johns has been playing at.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#11  Edited By Cavemold
    ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ccraft

Great titles but I moved this to my Collect Later list, I can't afford every $4 comic.. I'll collect this before Trinity War begins.

Collect Later List

1. ShadowmanOnce I collect all the issues I'm missing I will put it in the Pull List
    2. HellboyI have the 1st issue, Hellboy is one of my favorite characters so I'd like to read something with him in it. I have a lot to collect!...
    3. Fatale
    4. New Avengers
    5. Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheusread the preview, seems like something I would like.
    6. Creepy
    7. Avengers
    8. Savage Wolverine
    9. Justice League of AmericaI'll start to collect this when Trinity War begins
    10. Detective Comics
    11. Superman
    12. Aquaman
    13. The Phantom Stranger

The Shaggy looks like he's playing action figures lol

FastestBlender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There wasn't any hesitation to throwing 5 stars on this one considering the graphically violent ending which will carry none of the storytelling weight that it should in genre fiction? Or how about this, would you want your daughter to pick up and read this issue? DC's penchant sex and violence is hitting a level of parody at this point. Also, I don't think anyone's ever used the terms "complex" or "subtle" to describe a Geoff Johns comic book.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

The Shaggy looks like he's playing action figures lol

No Caption Provided

it's an homage to this image.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

i enjoyed it. Would give it 4/5

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good issue. I'm pretty sure what happened on the last page won't stick. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Also, those MM back ups are making me like the character more and more.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the entire issue without realizing that was the Shaggy Man, I just thought it was a Sasquatch or something...

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By blkson

Death of a female character, in a visibly grotesque manner, to insight how crude and evil a villain is to progress a story plot -_- C'mon son, that ish is getting REALLY old.. if this sticks.

Good issue overall. Can't wait to see were the events of this issue takes the series.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see some Stargirl action in this next issue.

hufnagel0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hufnagel0

Also, those MM back ups are making me like the character more and more.

Agreed. Hope DC takes a shot at givin him his own title. With the right writer, he's a total badass while still having depth.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

This issue had the best Martian Manhunter back up to date. Really liked this one. I've never been a huge fan of Booth's art but he's a welcome replacement for David Finch. And speaking of David Finch, what is going on with Catwoman on this cover. She looks like a blowup doll. Her right arm looks like its made out of taffy or something. It's just all so wrong.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dark_guyver: I do not think its going to stick very long I mean the character in question is on the 3 part Trinity War super cover thing. So unless Pandora's box raises the dead this is a fake out.

thejman1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thejman1989

- I'm happy that Catwoman is finally dead ,however temporarily, as i utterly despise that character. However, this will undoubtedly be short-lived as Waller has been bringing people back to life left and right in the pages of Suicide Squad for over a year.

- Additionally, the thought of Bruce going up against the secret society , who evidently possess a map of the Batcave and know his identity, is interesting as well.

- I don't normally say this about John's work outside of GL, but i am pleased.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

Soooo is Doctor Light NOT a rapist now??

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about this issue.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I'm happy that Catwoman is finally dead ,however temporarily, as i utterly despise that character. However, this will undoubtedly be short-lived as Waller has been bringing people back to life left and right in the pages of Suicide Squad for over a year.

- Additionally, the thought of Bruce going up against the secret society , who evidently possess a map of the Batcave and know his identity, is interesting as well.

- I don't normally say this about John's work outside of GL, but i am pleased.

I'm cool with it!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

What about that cover to the next issue? Hmmm.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By akbogert

@g_man said:

What about that cover to the next issue? Hmmm.

...no really, what?

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bogey

Soooo is Doctor Light NOT a rapist now??

He's just seen the light. Give it time.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wait this is David Finch's LAST issue on JLA forever!?!?! and Brett Booth is taking over?!?!? NOOOOOOOOO i'm soooo lost...

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xblah_blahx

@baberaham_lincoln: Booth is just a guest artist for this issue and the next. Then Doug Mahnke will be taking over with issue six.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fastestblender: sounds to me like you need to find a different medium to read than modern comics if you dont want to find some of those elements you listed cause that sort of thing is very common. I thought the issue was pretty good

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hawkguy

@fastestblender said:

There wasn't any hesitation to throwing 5 stars on this one considering the graphically violent ending which will carry none of the storytelling weight that it should in genre fiction? Or how about this, would you want your daughter to pick up and read this issue? DC's penchant sex and violence is hitting a level of parody at this point. Also, I don't think anyone's ever used the terms "complex" or "subtle" to describe a Geoff Johns comic book.

A character dying doesn't bring storytelling weight? Seems like one of those " :O " moments, especially considering you wouldn't expect this to happen in a DC book (at least I wouldn't), and to a fairly known character to boot.

I'm confused as to why violence and sex seem out of place in comics? It's in novels, movies, music and everywhere on the internet. Look at the cover of this book, not many young daughters would beg their parents for this.

It was an amazing issue with an even better back story, I was on the verge of dropping this series but this issue alone turned me right around. Can't wait for more MMH.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By arnoldoaad

This issue was...

PRETTY BAD

why the hell did this got 5 stars?

well most of the problems that I have with this comic are around how the hell this works with other comics like Catwoman and Teen Titans.

but also the fight scene with the Shaggy Man, we see the JLA fighting SH on scene, then martian manhunter gets attack by fire, and that's it, the fight ends off-panel and the JLA lost

lol, this team sucks!

the rest of the plot for the next few issues is just a little too predictable, its easier to assume that Stargirl will save the day because of the hints of this issue.

another problem is Arthur light, is this happening before or after the events on Teen Titans because they seem completely disconnected and even look like completely different characters.

finally the "death of catwoman"

either this is:

a- a fake out, JUST LIKE IN THE FIRST CHP!

b- she will be revived by the whole suicide squad reviving juice of Amanda Waller, rendering the concept of death in DC even more useless than it already is.

c-She is dead, but remembering Catwoman 0 and JLA 1, maybe she is not the real selina kyle and this is just a way to retcon the entire character again as we get the REAL Catwoman,

either way

the biggest problem is the idea that this death will motivate Batman or some BS like that

If this was pre-flashpoint Catwoman who knew Batman's real ID, and who was with Bruce when she gave her baby to adoption, and who had multiple romances and encounters with Batman

then I would agree that this would be a motivation for Batman

But she is not that person, she is just Batman's "sex buddy" as she was createdfor the nu-52 and is less important than his piano girlfriend from Batman The Dark Knight.

so who cares? either this was not Catwoman to begin with, or will be back from the dead as nothing happen.

Catwoman has been dead for 2 years anyways

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Gah!

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT issue

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

how was Shaggy Man?

SergeStorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

The issue was just OK, the Catwoman part of it comes across as a cheap gimmick. No on thinks that this has any long term significance other than a clumsy attempt at a emotionally powerful plot twist. Please. I like the run, but if Johns is resorting to this type of story line early, I am worried.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.