gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

When JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA began, one of the cool things was getting the chance to see characters like Stargirl and Martian Manhunter move out of the shadows of the New 52. With Forever Evil, they're pretty much the only members of the League (besides Batman and Catwoman, of course) around to fight the Crime Syndicate's plans. Seeing this odd pairing of heroes fighting incredible odds in order to survive has had some great moments.

The big question we're left with is what will be the state of the New 52 world after all of this. Things are not looking good for our heroes but amidst the fight against Despero, we find out more about what makes Stargirl tick. She's been carrying a big weight since her first appearance in the New 52 and this is where we start getting some answers.

The art by Eddy Barrows, Tom Derenick and R.B. Silva switches back and forth between Stargirl and Martian Manhunter. With time running out before an entire city is destroyed and all hope for the League, the art keeps up the pace and doesn't skip a beat.

The Bad

Even though this is a big tie-in for FOREVER EVIL and we're seeing the only other League members still fighting, there's been a big feeling of distance. You don't quite get the same vibe that we do in FOREVER EVIL or JUSTICE LEAGUE.

The fight against Despero almost feels like a filler. He pops in from time to time to keep the story for Stargirl and Martian Manhunter ending too quickly. And while the time is ticking and J'onn tells Stargirl to leave to save the city, he goes into a long monologue about how this battle reminds him of an old Martian tale. This goes on for a few pages and, while interesting, really feels out of place, considering the time crunch they're under.

The art is good but, with three different artists, there times where you clearly see a difference.

The Verdict

It's known that this series will be ending or changing into JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED. You almost do get a sense that not only is the story winding down, but the series as well. There's a slight lack of focus that makes this story feel separate from the rest of FOREVER EVIL. The art is good but with three different artists, there are moments where the difference interrupts the flow of the story. The big question is what will happen next and you most likely won't want to miss it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I flipped through it. Not a very interesting issue.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I dropped this.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pretty much spot on 3 stars for me as well I don't like how the book kept on jumping around it was quite confusing. This team had so much potential to bad it was rushed into Trinity War so quickly. On the bright side Justice League United sounds awesome so I can not wait for that.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nothing seemed to happen in this issue, obviously the ending to MM's tale is not how he will end

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By patrat18

@dondave is mad as hell right about now.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Kindt should officially migrate over to Valiant because the work he's done there has been 5 star worthy, along with his other non-big 2 work. He's a great writer, I just don't think he works well with these characters and the editorial side of things. He's pretty much been a fill-in writer until the series are cancelled lol...

Anabyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I was enjoying this stry but dropped the series anyway. It's getting relaunched so there was not much point

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JLA could have been a great series, but I feel like once Johns left, it was no longer viable.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martian Manhunter and Despero's interactions didn't make sense. He acted like he'd never seen Despero before despite the fact that they knew each other before J'onn came to Earth and even recently fought each other before Trinity War.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

I dropped this. It's ending soon anyway, plus the current story arc is boring as hell.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
    mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

"long monologue" - the story of Matt Kindt's writing at DC. :(

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

What I don't like is that we haven't heard any mention of Hawkman or Katana since Forever Evil started. Did the writers just decide these two members don't matter anymore?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I battled in my mind for all of Wednesday trying to decide to get this or Superman/Wonder Woman. At the last second I chose Superman/Wonder Woman. Looks like I chose wisely

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By J_HickmanIsGod

is this series still shit?! or is it hit or miss? i still have like 5 or so issues in my box at the store, always super hesitant to pick em up.....

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@timelord said:

Pretty much spot on 3 stars for me as well I don't like how the book kept on jumping around it was quite confusing. This team had so much potential to bad it was rushed into Trinity War so quickly. On the bright side Justice League United sounds awesome so I can not wait for that.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.