Follow

Justice League: Generation Lost

Volume »

A twenty-four issue bi-weekly miniseries featuring the former members of Justice League International and the schemes of the resurrected Maxwell Lord.

Review: Justice League: Generation Lost #4

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The original Rocket Red comes to JLI's rescue during their fight with his modern successors, all the while Maxwell Lord encounters a horrifying set-back to his master plan.

The Good

Since everything's firing on all cylinders with this book, I'm just going to list all the scenes I thought were cool. There was Maxwell Lord's sly approach to segueing conversation into mind control, his subsequent shock at the appearance of a Black Lantern, a swarthy Rocket Red coming to this loose team's rescue, the eye-rolling he gets from the modern Red Rockets, the unofficial reunion of the JLI that nobody wants to admit to, Batman's suspicions regarding Checkmate's confounding behavior and his own puzzling thoughts about Fire and then, the stand-out of the issue, was Booster Gold calling Lord out from nothing... and then actually getting answered. It's all good and Joe Bennett never misses a beat when it comes to rendering it all. His work here's a joy to look at. Even if you don't know anything about Brightest Day, it's still truly compelling to follow this gang of second-stringers knowing the truth about Lord when the whole world's been brainwashed against them.

The Bad

You know what? There really isn't anything wrong with this and, what the hell, I'm going to give it extra credit this week for being such a consistently-good read when I thought it was only going to be a superfluous Brightest Day tie-in.

The Verdict - 5/5

This has been consistently one of the best books I've been reading from DC and great companion piece to Winick's other great book this week, Power Girl. I've been enjoying it so much over the past few weeks that I'm looking forward to picking up a new issue every Wednesday. This puts a real human face on the fall-out of Brightest Day. There's been a lot of attempts at putting the old magic back in a bottle, but this is the one that manages to perfectly captures what was so appealing about Giffen's classic JLI while still updating for modern continuity. I highly recommend you go out and pick this up, now.
    YOUNGneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By YOUNGneil

looks pretty cool!

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I read it myself.  I've been really impressed with this series.  Can't wait till the next one!
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Blackestnight1

5/5 is a buy because this was a bad week for comics

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

I'll pick this issue up!

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By greenenvy

I am waiting until fire gets more and more of the spotlight so pass until later issues. 

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

Rocket Red said and I quote "All ve need is Green Lantern to fall from sky and ve will complete". I know Guy is tied up in his own series, but is it possible we may see G'nort? Love this series, bring on #5!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By doordoor123
    @Blackestnight:  Are you kidding me?! This was a great week for comics. So many great comics this week. Last week wasnt good at all. Maybe the titles youre reading arent that great. In that case you should start picking up more titles.
    Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @doordoor123:  I may have to do that but you see where I live, which is literally out on an Island, there aren't any comicbook shops. We have newstand only with the following only, ASM and only every third one, ultimate avengers (which sucks) hulk and some xmen stuff. 

So I pretty much have no access to comics other than the web. And the reviews are mostly from this site.  I can't just browse a store and have no place to meet other nerds to discuss. 

So if you have some recogmendations by all means shoot. 
     I've been enjoying digital comics.  Read the Books of Doom a rip off of Dr Strange but still good. Daredevil has been great and fall of the hulks was good until the revealed the red hulk. I can't seem to get into DC beyond Batman and some superman stuff. There are too many people I don't know. I avoid the xmen for the same reason. See I just started readong comics in 2009. I'm still learning. I still have times when I go who the f is this guy and have to go look it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.