inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Constantine is in the House of Mystery and trying to find a way to get the Justice League Dark to him. Nightmare Nurse comes on the scene and it gets a little awkward.

This is J.M. DeMatteis' first issue and his first time cracking into JLD. He's done a really nice job writing PHANTOM STRANGER, so the transition into this book shouldn't be too tough. He has a great grasp, and shows it, for all things super natural. The set-up for Blight happens pretty slowly, and you almost wouldn't notice it, since the time between that and Constantine worrying about the team is pretty split. It's a solid build to the new story. I'm really enjoying his first dip into JLD.

This is a Constantine heavy book. The rest of the JLD is missing [dead?], so DeMatteis had a whole issue to really establish Constantine in his book. He does so extremely well. He's really set the tone for his run and his version of Constantine. This feels like the first time, outside of the main CONSTANTINE series, that the reader has really gotten a good feel for the character and what makes him tick. It's really nice to get inside his head, which is pretty much this whole issue.

The final page of this issue is really awesome. It brings more of "The Dark" characters into the JLD book, but in a really weird way. I'm excited to see where DeMatteis goes with this.

The artwork on this series and issue is still amazing. Mikel Janin did the art, with Jeromy Cox on colors. Janin does some great things on this issue with perspective. Janin keeps it fresh by varying layouts and angles in this issue, and on top of everything else, his art is super-duper pretty to look at. Again, not only is the last page a cool reveal, it looks awesome. The art team is a really big selling point of this book. While the writing and story are great, I'd buy this book just for the art.

The Bad

I'm not a big fan of Nightmare Nurse. She's a very "blah" character. It's revealed that she and Constantine have a past, and she's not to happy to be around him. It could lead to some interesting things, but she's probably the weakest and most forgettable "member" (using that term loosely) member of this team.

There's a whole one page recap of Trinity War and Forever Evil, thus far. If you're reading JLD, you're a DC fan and you know what's going on. The recap seemed like a bit of a waste.

The Verdict

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK may have a new writer, but it's still an awesome book. J.M. DeMatteis provides a fun and somber issue here that will have you wanting more. Janin and Cox do some fantastic work on the art here, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of Nightmare Nurse, I really like the direction this is heading and the set-up for Blight. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lifeboy

Inferiorego, how did you feel about having to shell out the extra buck? Was the extra content worth the extra buck?

Also, why is zatanna so hot!? I hate the person who ends up with her!

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By lifeboy

Last also, I agree with you in that Dmr Demattis is doing a great job on phantom stranger. Last issue was just incredible. Best thing I read this month as of yet. Hey, us fringe readers have to stick together. Also, I just heard a 60s song that makes a referance to superman and green lantern. Sunshine Superman.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

A good start to the Event Blight I thought. I new nothing about these characters but I am interested to see where they go from here. The only worry I have is that it's suppose to be 18 issues long over 3 books how are they going to keep things interesting with out dragging it out to long.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dematteis is a natural fit for JLD, paired with Janin I like it.

willforthrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Book of Magic arc was one of my favorites arcs in all of comics in recent years, so you could imagine how upset I was that Jeff Lemire was leaving the book. However, I planned to continue the book just because I truly believe that Mikel Janin is the #1 artist in the industry. But upon hearing about the Blight event, I don't see any reason to continue reading the book. It's a shame though, cause Mikel Janin makes some beautiful artwork.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I don't think I will be continuing to read this book. I really enjoyed this issue, but I would like to read the whole Blight crossover and I can't afford it right now. So I'll drop it for now. Maybe just get the Sea-King issue.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#8 inferiorego  Staff

@lifeboy said:

Inferiorego, how did you feel about having to shell out the extra buck? Was the extra content worth the extra buck?

To quote myself, from my twitter account: "22 pages and a glossy cover equals a $1 increase in price? Come on, DC Comics. That's ridiculous."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.