zeeguy91's Justice League Dark #9 - The Black Room review

John Constantine: Hero for Hire

All I can say is "wow, wow, wow, mega wow." I loved this issue and I'm glad I decided to jump back on this series just as Lemire is taking over on writing duties. Now, don't get me wrong, Millegan's stuff was really good. I read the first two issues of the series and thought they were excellent. However, when I got them, it was already like 7 months into the New 52 and I didn't want to have to play catch-up, so I decided to wait for a jumping on point. As I'm not reading I, Vampire, I sat out the crossover and picked up this issue as a fresh start. And, as you can probably tell, I'm glad I did. This issue has everything you could want: great action, wonderful character work, and some wonderfully snappy comments from John Constantine, who emerges as one of my favorite characters from this issue. Mikel Janin's art makes the story seem to come alive and Lemire's writing flows so well while laying the foundations for what looks to be an amazing story.

The story essentially starts out with Constantine being approached by a particular somebody who's been all over the DCU lately. The two strike a deal and before you know it, John goes crawling back to his JLD buddies for help in meeting his end of the bargain. Needless to say, they're a little hesitant to help him out. Apparently, they didn't part on good terms the last time they saw each other. I don't want to spoil too much, so I'll stop there, but trust me, this is an issue worth checking out, especially if you've been wanting to read stories about those "weirdo, occult types" (as John Constantine puts it) of the DC Universe.

Since Lemire is also writing Animal Man, I wonder how he'll be merging the two titles in a way that makes sense. The cliffhanger from Animal Man #9 sort of left us wondering about that. Guess we'll have to wait for #10 to find out. Anyway, after reading this issue, I now want to (and/or have to) catch up on what I missed of JLD once the trades come out.

Posted by JonesDeini

As much as I love Milligan I found his run on the book to be very up and down overall. Luckily, Lemire takes what worked and jettisons the rest to great results.