jake_fury's Justice League Dark #26 - Forever Evil: Blight - The Haunted Sea review

• jake_fury wrote this review on .
  • jake_fury has written a total of 92 reviews. The last one was for If He Be Worthy
  • This review received 7 comments

Rise of the Dead Sea King

This book has been simply great since DeMatteis took over. The run under Lemire was serviceable and pretty solid but left quite a bit to be desired in the magic department. DeMatteis has returned these characters to their mystical roots and has crafted a fine Forever Evil tie in crossover so far with Ray Fawkes. After the events of last issue, we were left wondering how the team could overcome their bitter defeat against Blight. This issue we get our answers and also see the return of one of my favorite team members.

The Good:

The team dynamic so far in this crossover has been fantastic. There are members of the team that clearly don't like each other but have begrudgingly put aside their differences for the greater good. Considering the egos involved, that is a major stretch and leap of faith for them.

The revitalization of the magic and mystical side of the book has also been extremely refreshing. Lemire's run felt much more like a super hero team that occasionally dabbled in magic as opposed to characters that have made their living practicing the mystical arts. It's been great seeing these characters use their talents in this area.

This issue also had a few nice surprises and the return of _______ was very well done. The art was its usual level of greatness from Mikel Janin but that's come to be expected from someone of his artistic skill level.

The Bad:

My only real complaint is the formidable length of this crossover. We're only about a third of the way through and I hope DeMatteis and Fawkes can keep it going as well as they have so far.

The Score:

4/5

Edited by cbishop

So they found a way to bring the one handed Aquaman back to the New 52...amazing.

Edited by ShadowSwordmaster

Nice review and I agree with about Lemire's after reading his run.I enjoy DeMatteis run so far.

Posted by Jake Fury

@shadowswordmaster: Thanks!!!! Lemire's run wasn't bad just lacking in some of the magic use.

Posted by MadeinBangladesh

@cbishop said:

EDIT: An evil version of one handed Aquaman, I realize, but still...it's him.

and the beard also! I thought he wasn't actually evil? Since he was "killed" by the other syndicate members in trinity war?

Edited by cbishop

Oh, I actually don't know. I just assumed by the "Crime Syndicate's Sea King" that he was a Crime Syndicate member.

Posted by Jake Fury

@cbishop said:

EDIT: An evil version of one handed Aquaman, I realize, but still...it's him.

That was kind of confusing during Trinity War. I assumed he was evil but had been a thorn in Ultraman's side.

Posted by ShadowSwordmaster

@jake_fury: It really did and hope DeMattis has a plan after the this Blight Crossover.