krakoa's Justice League Dark #1 - In The Dark, Part One: Imaginary Women review

• krakoa wrote this review on .
  • krakoa has written a total of 204 reviews. The last one was for

Living in Darkness

DC Comics has always been home to quite a bit of magic and mysticism from its earliest days in existence. And although, the supernatural is as popular as ever, one might fear that DC would leave its more hard edged sorcery tales behind in favor of more lucrative superhero titles. It's good to see that off beat magick is still gambled on at DC. This issue, is all introduction, which is good and bad. The good is that seasoned maestro Milligan creates a terrific sense of mystery and dread. Janin's art gets an A+ here and he seems at home drawing violent supernatural phenomena as well as Superman or Batman. At the end of this issue, I still had no clue what they were up against except perhaps a mentally deranged Enchantress. The heroes, themselves, are equally confused, so this is all part of the plot and not at all due to sloppy storytelling. The team's roster will receive no complaints from me, both a fan of Deadman, Zatanna, and Constantine, and I feel that the other team members will soon become favorites as well. It's going to be great to see how they all get along or fail to get along in the coming issues. So yeah, while not a lot happens here, it's a jumping on point for what my gut instinct tells me will be a sweet series.

Posted by Silkcuts

agreed that at the end of the issue.. I was like... where is the rest of it...lol

Posted by Krakoa

@Silkcuts: For some reason, that's been my reaction to most of what I've read this week. I've been out of step with comics for the last six months or so, only picking up the occasional haul at the shop, so hopefully it's not a new storytelling trend. And yes, in response to an earlier inquiry, you're rant from earlier merited a smiley face from me. It brought up a lot of good points, but I couldn't help but envision my favorite Canadian eccentric foaming at the mouth while typing it. :)

Posted by Silkcuts
@Krakoa: The narrative could be like this now to maintain cliff-hangers to increase continued sales.

I thought Aztek was the Canadian eccentric and I was the Canadian Genius?