airdave817's Justice League: Cry for Justice #2 - The Gathering; The Origin Of The Atom review

• airdave817 wrote this review on .
  • airdave817 has written a total of 216 reviews. The last one was for

The Heavy Ham Hand

I'm almost at a loss for words. Robinson's writing "voice" here is so completely different from what he was doing over in Starman it's almost unrecognizable. Of course, he wasn't really writing super-hero comics in Starman. He was writing three-dimensional, fully-formed people who just happened to be just a little different than you and I. Justice League: Cry For Justice could really use a direct, mainline infusion of Robinson's Jack Knight Opal City voice from Starman.

There's a bit of it between Mikaal and Congorilla after the two pages that everybody on the internets have dissected. Wait - was that Batman or Batwoman sailing over Hal and Ollie? But then it seems to be - squrrel!! Houngan and Jason Bard are interesting choices. Along with Jay Garrick. There were moments of grandeur in Starman - "we have yet to see Mikaal return to the hero he once was!" But it was surrounded with a lot more that wasn't so corny. Here it's like driving across a cobblestone road, it's all so bumpy from so much corn. Total cheese fest. I get it, Ray Palmer is just as underrated as Hal. He has yet to realize his full potential. Once he does though (most likely as the cliffhanger in issue seven to eight) - look out!

The most boring part of any movie is the first few minutes. Same with the first few chapters of any book. Laying the groundwork is always pretty dull and boring. I'm just waiting to see this team pull together and start cleaning house.

The afterword on Ray Palmer with a Len Wein and Mark Bagley Atom origin is a treat. When you look over what DC has done with Ray Palmer, I guess I see Jay Garrick's point. A lot of interesting choices made along the way from there to here.

Posted by The Black Hood

I honestly hated this issue.  Sometimes it feels like certain comic writers have expiration dates.  In my humble opinion Claremont ceased being readable in the early 90's.  Also I haven't liked anything that Morrison has done since his run on JLA.  Maybe Robinson should have quit at Starman and let us remember his writing at its peak.

After awhile you think people would learn from Lucas, sometimes you just need to give up.

Other reviews for Justice League: Cry for Justice #2 - The Gathering; The Origin Of The Atom

Threesome joke made me laugh. Not much else going for this title 0

More talking of Justice! (We get he point)! This has pretty art, but not much of the story line has really grabbed me yet. But I am liking the dialogue between characters and I know this is controversial on the net but I actually really liked the joke about Hal’s threesome (come on, he’s an air pilot/ superhero cop with a magic ring, of course he’s gonna get laid!) Nice to see some Atom action too. I’ll keep buying this.       Like my review? (Or even if you don’t!) Then please check out the fol...

The League may be on to something here 0

First of all, when the Justice League is good it is a lot of fun.  When they are in a rut with fringe characters because of what is going on in those other books, it can be a drag.  Currently, the JLA is in that rut.  I do not buy that book to read about Dr. Light or Vixen.  Go back and read Meltzer's arc that started the newest JLA and see how and why it can be great.  Or, go look at the Morrison/Porter issues (and beyond) of the last run, which was also terrific.  So, when I heard that the wri...