nantucket's Justice League #10 - The Villain's Journey, Chapter Two: The Belly of the Beast; The Curse of SHAZAM, Part 4 review

• nantucket wrote this review on .

Too Short

The Justice League: New 52 had a slow beginning. In fact, only the last issue really took off and had me psyched for what was to come.

So when I picked up this comic after what felt like an eternity I can honestly say I was a bit disappointed. I was disappointed not because of the art, Jim Lee has continuously proved himself an excellent artist (one of my favourites) and it was not the JL content itself. I enjoyed the story within this issue and I am enjoying this story arc overall.

I was just disappointed in the length.

The Shazam side story, although entertaining, was pushing the main comic back. It focuses on this huge character development of Billy, a character whom I personally do not care for, and has been doing so for months. Now – I have somewhat liked the previous Shazam stories and would like to see it end fittingly but I would like to see it end SOON. That or I want Johns’ to entwine it into the main story/characters which I believe he will do eventually.

Liking Shazam is a personal preference and I am sure many people are enjoying his side story but -- I did not pay to read Shazam, I paid to read The Justice League and if I wanted to read Shazam then I would buy his standalone comic.

I hope I can look back on this review in a few months and kick myself for being impatient in regards to Billy’s side story. I just want more Justice League and less lengthy side-stories.

Posted by Queso6p4

I definitely feel you on the length of the story. The Shazam read for as long as or even longer than the main story and was much more engaging as well. In my opinion, this isn't how it should be as I'm paying primarily for the titular series, not the co-feature or whatever it's called.

Other reviews for Justice League #10 - The Villain's Journey, Chapter Two: The Belly of the Beast; The Curse of SHAZAM, Part 4

The Newcomer's Perspective 0

I picked up only a handful of first issues when the new 52 started then completely fell away from it for a plethora of reasons. Now, approaching this via an issue purchased impulsively at the supermarket I'm a bit baffled. The main story features a Justice League I don't particularly care for. They're kinda moody and I'm not in love with the casual approach their taking to secrets about one another. Granted, I did pick up this issue mid-arc, and I've no one to blame for being lost but myself. Th...