Follow

Juggernaut

Character » Juggernaut appears in 2013 issues.

Cain Marko, also known as the Juggernaut, is the step-brother of X-Men founder Charles Xavier and the avatar of Cyttorak. Powered by the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak, Marko is bestowed virtually limitless brute strength and durability which he mostly uses for criminal pursuits and wanton destruction. The Juggernaut is considered one of the strongest and most powerful beings on Earth.

Whatever happened to Cain Marko?

Avatar image for deactivated-578ee3f81c5e1
    deactivated-578ee3f81c5e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Just wondering whats to become of the previous juggernaut. obviously he wont be back for thunderbolts (how does thunder make a bolt anyway*shrug*), but is he going to be let go because hes powerless, maybe join osborn in whatever he's cooking up in the way that scorpion joined with smythe and got his old power back? mind you cytorrak is a whole nother level of power but im sure he can figure something out, osborn. thats jus the tip of my guesses but I'd really like to hear other ideas, please share :)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp

Why is this in the Vulcan forum?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm kinda hoping that this will be a new era for Cain Marko. I mean he probably won't become a nice guy but without the power of the Juggernaut corrupting him or protecting him he's on his own. Anyone remember X-Men Forever where one future had Cain depowered but using technology to be a mercenary? I think he had Klaw's sonic converter thing and Citizen V's flying V-Wing.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mutant God

Maybe he will join Sin and her group

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I wondered about what will happened with Cain Marko? I hope he plays a major role in the future X-Men titles as a main villain like he was when he was the Juggernaut.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think he will get the Juggernaut powers back eventually. Maybe in a year, maybe in ten years.

JReed2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JReed2008

I hope he gets the Juggernaut powers back, he is seriously BA

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slimj87d

Can anyone seriously answer what has happen to him? In the comic vine entry it says he's not completely powerless. Can someone elaborate on this?

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By frozenedge2

Has he even shown up in any comics after getting his powers taken from him?

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By DATNIGGA

after fear itself i havent seen him at all

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Walker696

we have all seen the power levels Cain was capable of when he really let go and we have yet to see anything close to that (yet alone basic level Juggernaut powers) from Colossus. Now where am I going with this, well one simple question, who said there can only be one Juggernaut? Cyottak could have very well split the power between the two and be standing back waiting to see who deserves his power more. I'd like to see the two guys battle not just physically but mentally as well. I love Cain, but honestly I only loved him as Juggs. Although now that I think about it having Cain and Piotr both working together does seem like an interesting concept.

Avatar image for magneticshockwave
    MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Walker696 said:

we have all seen the power levels Cain was capable of when he really let go and we have yet to see anything close to that (yet alone basic level Juggernaut powers) from Colossus. Now where am I going with this, well one simple question, who said there can only be one Juggernaut? Cyottak could have very well split the power between the two and be standing back waiting to see who deserves his power more. I'd like to see the two guys battle not just physically but mentally as well. I love Cain, but honestly I only loved him as Juggs. Although now that I think about it having Cain and Piotr both working together does seem like an interesting concept.

I believe there is one Juggernaut per every universe being powered by one Cyttorak whether it be Cain or some entirely different character.
    Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Watcherg6

@MagneticShockwave: we have all seen the power levels Cain was capable of when he really let go and we have yet to see anything close to that (yet alone basic level Juggernaut powers) from Colossus. Now where am I going with this, well one simple question, who said there can only be one Juggernaut? Cyottak could have very well split the power between the two and be standing back waiting to see who deserves his power more. I'd like to see the two guys battle not just physically but mentally as well. I love Cain, but honestly I only loved him as Juggs. Although now that I think about it having Cain and Piotr both working together does seem like an interesting concept.

I believe there is one Juggernaut per every universe being powered by one Cyttorak whether it be Cain or some entirely different character.

My question is will J2 Come to this Marvel universe? Hulk has a Son, Spiderman, has had a kid. Bring J2 Back!

J2 J2 J2 J2

timotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By timotaka

According to what has been previously established, Cain Marko and Colossus should now be sharing the power of the Juggernaut, and the only way for Colossus to gain it fully is to kill Marko. While continuity is what it is in comics, I really would like to see that maintained here, as it would make for an interesting character moment for Colossus.

celticcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By celticcat

It will be interesting to see where they take Marko now, his character is at a crossroads, do they turn him good now he no longer possesses Cyttorak's power gem so he can no longer can be corrupted or will they keep him bad and go after Colossus to retrieve his lost power? If they turn Colossus evil, maybe Cain can become a thorn in the side of the new Juggernaut, knows how Cyttorak's power works so could give him a slight edge over Colossus, but will have to find a way to become stronger so he can fight him because the way Marko is right now, there's no way he can defeat the new Juggernaut, same storyline could work if they choose to keep Marko evil, so it can work both ways.

Vendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vendel

@celticcat said:

It will be interesting to see where they take Marko now, his character is at a crossroads, do they turn him good now he no longer possesses Cyttorak's power gem so he can no longer can be corrupted or will they keep him bad and go after Colossus to retrieve his lost power? If they turn Colossus evil, maybe Cain can become a thorn in the side of the new Juggernaut, knows how Cyttorak's power works so could give him a slight edge over Colossus, but will have to find a way to become stronger so he can fight him because the way Marko is right now, there's no way he can defeat the new Juggernaut, same storyline could work if they choose to keep Marko evil, so it can work both ways.

Well Cain was always an evil son of a bitch. That is why he made such a good Juggernaut. Cyttorak didn't need to corrupt him.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Deranged Midget

Is he back to a normal human being without the blessing of Cyttorak or does he still have some power?

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vendel said:

@celticcat said:

Well Cain was always an evil son of a bitch. That is why he made such a good Juggernaut. Cyttorak didn't need to corrupt him.

I wouldn't say he was evil, more so, his motivations are usually dictated by greed.

Vendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vendel

@royale_with_cheese said:

@Vendel said:

@celticcat said:

I wouldn't say he was evil, more so, his motivations are usually dictated by greed.

From his first appearance (X-Men 12) Xavier explains sensing evil from Cain the first time they met.

royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vendel: And yet at one point he was chosen by the enigma force to become Captain Universe?

Vendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vendel

@Vendel: And yet at one point he was chosen by the enigma force to become Captain Universe?

Yes and?

royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vendel said:

Yes and?

It means he's not entirely evil. As Captain Universe he actually got the task done of repairing the tectonic fault lines. Now if he had been completely evil, then he would have just tried to abuse that power and go rampant.

Vendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vendel

@Vendel said:

Yes and?

It means he's not entirely evil. As Captain Universe he actually got the task done of repairing the tectonic fault lines. Now if he had been completely evil, then he would have just tried to abuse that power and go rampant.

Abusing his power? Like killing thousands of people without giving it a second thought?

Oshtur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Oshtur

@Vendel said:

@Vendel said:

Yes and?

Abusing his power? Like killing thousands of people without giving it a second thought?

When Juggernaut knocked down the World Trade Center, that was evilier than nine eleven. He didn't give people much time to get out. But, in another reality, he was standing at the collapse of the WTC with Doom and Magneto when the terrorist took it down.

Juggernaut on the left side

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By CATPANEXE

Currently he rocks out three nights a week in a Kiss cover band somewhere in Michigan.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DEGRAAF

I would like to see him going around the world trying to find power again. He was an adventurer he should search the world in a mini series search for power. I would like to see him take a cocktail of the supersoldier serum, Red Skulls super serum, Green goblins serum, inject him self with the radioactive spider venom (but not gain the same abilities). Take the experiments of every known powerhouse and try them out trying to gain more power to reach where he was. they could all be modified to make sure he stays looking the same (human) but gaining power and causing destruction until Cyttorak gives him the gem and power back creating an all new more powerful villain

GothikKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GothikKnight

Can there be more than One Juggernaut ?

Answer = YES. Juggernaut once handed the Gem of Cyttorak to Black Tom and Shared the Juggernaut with Black Tom. But Juggernaut did not like being weakened to Half his power level, and toook the power back from Black Tom, and then through the gem into Space to keep anyone else from holding and reading the words.

Just Saying ;)

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By evilvegeta74

Let me say thisfirst and foremost I'm a big fan of 616 Colossus! Simple math when you add two plus two you get 4. I think you know where I'm going with this. If not, well then if you add the power of Colossus with the power of the Juggernaut, you get an all new more powerful Juggernaut, even if Colossus was given half the strength of the Juggernaut. Colossus is no pushover by a long shot, and if I'm not mistaken Cain hasn't given in to the will of Cytorak, which would have prevented him from having the full Juggernaut power, or he would turn into a demon of sorts, Colossus on the other hand has changed physically,to some sort of creature but he fought temptation, and reverted back.

gwilburn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gwilburn12

He will be back in a few months

Dustellar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dustellar

Cain is back in Dark Avengers #182 in October...maybe in Dark Avengers #181 this Wednesday :D

justinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By justinj

@slimj87d: 1960s

Cain Marko is the son of Kurt Marko, who became Charles Xavier's stepfather when he married Sharon Xavier after the death of her husband Brian, for which Kurt was partially responsible. Kurt Marko starts to favor Charles, and abuses his own son, Cain. Cain begins to resent Charles and bullies him frequently. When Cain Marko and his step-brother Charles serve in the US Army and are stationed in Korea, Marko finds a hidden temple dedicated to the entity Cyttorak. Upon entering Marko finds and holds a huge ruby, and reads the inscription on the stone aloud: "Whosoever touches this gem shall be granted the power of the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak! Henceforth, you who read these words, shall become ... forevermore ... a human juggernaut!" The gem channels Cyttorak's power into Marko. The transformation causes a cave-in, with the character buried and presumably killed, not being heard from again until a sudden assault on the X-Men's headquarters.

Xavier recounts the Juggernaut's origin to the X-Men, and after shrugging off the mansion's defenses and brushing aside the X-Men, Marko is clearly seen in the final panel as he confronts Xavier. The X-Men regroup and attack, while Xavier summons Fantastic Four member the Human Torch to aid the mutants, the Torch generating 'pulses' of flame that essentially hypnotize the Juggernaut, distracting him long enough for the Angel to remove his helmet, making Marko susceptible to a telepathic attack by Xavier.[5]

The Juggernaut returns seeking revenge, and is delayed by three of the X-Men while Cyclops and Marvel Girl - aided by the astral form of mystic Doctor Strange - find and use another jewel of Cyttorak, which banishes the Juggernaut to the "Crimson Cosmos", the home dimension of Cyttorak.[6] When the Juggernaut reappears the character has gained mystical abilities and briefly battles the mystic Doctor Strange before being banished to an alternate universe by the cosmic entity Eternity.[7]

1970s

Juggernaut reappeared on Earth through sheer force of will, although the alien dimension caused him to age rapidly. The panicking villain battled former X-Man the Beast before being drawn back to the same dimension.[8] An entity from his prison dimension reversed the aging process and removed the mystical powers on the proviso that the villain never return. The Juggernaut was accidentally pulled back to Earth at the Hulkbuster base by an interdimensional device designed to banish the Hulk. The Hulk aided the Juggernaut in escaping from the base, but attacked when the Juggernaut threatened a civilian. During the battle his helmet was removed, and he was surprised and defeated by Professor X, Cyclops, and Marvel Girl.[9]

The Juggernaut befriended Black Tom Cassidy, the cousin of X-Man Banshee, and battled the first generation of new X-Men. When Tom fell off the battlements of Cassidy Keep after a sword duel with Banshee, Juggernaut jumped after him into the sea.[10]

1980s

Black Tom used his niece Siryn - who possesses the same powers as her father Banshee - to steal a shipment of the metal vibranium. The Juggernaut battled Spider-Woman and the X-Men, and was the only one of the criminal trio to escape capture.[11] After freeing him from prison, Black Tom decided the psychic Madame Web could be useful in his criminal pursuits. On arriving in New York City, Tom sent the Juggernaut to capture Madame Web, with the villain destroying several city blocks and ignoring Spider-Man's best efforts to stop him. The Juggernaut almost killed Web by accident when he removed her from a life support device, and decided to abandon her. A frustrated Spider-Man eventually lured the Juggernaut into setting concrete, poured for the foundation of an office high-rise, into which he sank without a trace;[12] he took over a month to dig his way out.[13]

The Juggernaut, in civilian guise, had a bar fight with the X-Man Colossus, who was at first unaware of the villain's true identity.[14] After another battle against Spider-Man and the X-Men,[15] the Juggernaut encountered the futuristic Sentinel Nimrod, who humiliated and defeated him.[16] The Juggernaut was one of the villains assembled to battle the cosmic entity the Beyonder.[17] The Juggernaut battled an all-new generation of X-Men,[18] appears in a flashback story with the original X-Men,[19] and had a humorous encounter with Captain Britain.[20]

The Juggernaut also participated in the Acts of Vengeance, battling the Thunder God Thor and teen superteam the New Warriors.[21]

1990s

The Juggernaut continues to feature prominently in Marvel titles, starring in an alternate universe adventure,[22] battling Thor once again [23] and starring opposite other characters such as the mutant team X-Force,[24] Doctor Strange,[25] the Hulk (allied at the time with master villain the Red Skull and tricking and capturing the Hulk with the same "civilian" guise used against Colossus),[26] mercenary Deadpool,[27] the villain turned antihero Venom,[28] and multiple battles with the X-Men.[29] The Juggernaut suffers a major setback during the Onslaught storyline, being defeated and then humiliated by the entity when imprisoned in the Gem of Cyttorak. The Juggernaut, however, eventually manages to escape.[30]

The Juggernaut also stars in a solo story[31] and the "Eighth Day" storyline, which introduces the entities the Exemplars. The Juggernaut and seven other humans are revealed to have all been empowered and corrupted by mystical entities, and as avatars enforce their will on Earth.[32] The Juggernaut resists the influence of Cyttorak and when captured by other Exemplars is aided by the superhero team the Avengers. Leader Captain America convinces the other Exemplars that they have been manipulated by the mystical entities, who then decide to leave Earth.[33]

2000s

The Juggernaut, courtesy of a ruse engineered by Black Tom Cassidy, eventually allies with and joins the X-Men, the plan being to destroy the team from within. When Cassidy openly betrays the Juggernaut, Marko decides to remain with the X-Men and attempt to change his ways.[34] The Juggernaut befriends a young mutant boy called Sammy Paré, who helps Marko reform,[35] despite setbacks such as a battle with the Canadian superhero team Alpha Flight.[36] When Paré, however, discovers that Black Tom Cassidy is preparing to attack the X-Men's headquarters, he is killed. An enraged Juggernaut attacks Cassidy and his allies, with the battle stranding all participants in the alternate dimension the Mojoverse.[37]

The Juggernaut reappears and joins the team New Excalibur for a brief period. One storyline expands on the Juggernaut's origin, and reveals that Marko is only the most recent of a series of incarnations of Cyttorak's avatar, with each battling a challenger to the death for the right to retain the entity's power.[38] During the World War Hulk storyline, the Juggernaut's power begins to wane, but by shunning his stepbrother Xavier and returning to his villainous nature is able to restore the link with Cyttorak, becoming powerful enough to hold his own against the Hulk.[39] Despite an attempt by Xavier to reform Marko, he concedes that redemption is impossible.[40]

2010s

While training his son Skaar, Bruce Banner bombs Juggernaut's house to initiate a confrontation between Skaar and the Juggernaut.[41] Skaar manages to win his first fight by throwing the Juggernaut into open space, proving to his father that he has the ability to use cunning and strategy in combat, and not simply physical strength.[42]

During The Gauntlet storyline, Spider-Man finds the Juggernaut unconscious. The government comes along and transports the Juggernaut to a secure facility. Spider-Man sneaks into the facility to ask the Juggernaut who did this to him. Then, a new Captain Universe breaks into the room and claims he's there to slay the Juggernaut.[43] Spider-Man learns that Captain Universe is a man named William Nguyen who wants revenge on Juggernaut for ruining his life during his previous fight with Spider-Man over Madame Web.[13] When he insists on trying to kill Juggernaut instead of fixing the tectonic plates beneath New York City, the Uni-Power leaves Nguyen and enters the Juggernaut. The Juggernaut, as Captain Universe, repairs the damage to the tectonic plates that was caused by him during the same rampage that ruined Nguyen's life.[44]

Following the Siege storyline, Juggernaut is shown at The Raft at the start of the Heroic Age storyline - weakened, since Cyttorak apparently took his temporary empowerment by the Uni-Power as an affront, and withheld part of his "blessing". Following Luke Cage's appointment as leader of the Thunderbolts, Cain is brought up for suggestion for the program. While Cage is initially against him joining, Professor X telepathically contacts Luke and asks him to reconsider, believing he has a chance at redemption despite what he previously told Cain. Juggernaut agrees to do whatever Luke says, partly because he is now suffused with nanomachines which can affect him in his weakened state.[45]

During the Fear Itself storyline, one of the seven Hammers of the Worthy lands near Juggernaut. Juggernaut is able to lift it and becomes Kuurth, Breaker of Stone. His transformation was enough to level the Raft.[46] Kuurth makes his way to California and fights the X-Men. Magik, Colossus and Shadowcat go to Cyttorak's dimension and inform it that the Serpent has control over Juggernaut. Magik strikes a deal with Cyttorak who chooses her to become the new host of the Juggernaut's powers, however the entity ends up transferring the Juggernaut's powers to Colossus instead. Colossus was able to turn the tide on Kuurth before Kuurth is teleported away by the Serpent.[47] During the last battle between the Avengers and the Worthy, Kuurth was defeated by Wolverine using his Uru armor, and lost his hammer when the Serpent was killed by Thor.[48]

Cain Marko, apparently having been incarcerated after the events of 'Fear Itself', having lost the power of both Kuurth and Cytorakk (but retaining his enormous physique) is released into military custody. Subsequently, he is taken to the borders of the country of Sharzhad just as the Thunderbolts return from their tumultuous tumble through time, and Satana aids Man-Thing in opening a gateway to the Crimson Cosmos (or possibly an alternate universe where Cain Marko had died while still the Juggernaut). Pushing his hand through, Marko is re-empowered, becoming the Juggernaut once more - just in time to thunder forth and smash through the otherwise unbreakable force field surrounding the country. This allowed the Thunderbolts to resolve an otherwise deadly threat to the planet - as had been orchestrated by the Ghost, who had sent the request for Marko's release back through time.[49] He soon lost these borrowed powers again, and went to live in solitude in the desert, still, it seems, super-strong, although not mystically-empowered.[50] Likewise, around this same time Magik purged the Juggernaut powers from Colossus with her Soulsword.[51]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.