New 'Dredd' Movie Stills Show Off Suits, Splatter, and No Smiles

• 86 results
Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you ready for some Dredd? So far we haven't seen a whole lot of information about the upcoming Judge Dredd film titled simply Dredd save for a very basic synopsis and some tidbits of information here and there; until now. Recently some images of actors Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby were taken and leaked online -- and they look pretty cool.

The images of the actors in full costume give us our first look at the costume design, which is a more modern, grittier version than what we saw in the original Judge Dredd film starring Sylvester Stallone back in 1995. With a budget of 45 million, the film is currently in its post-production stage with a release date set for September 21st, 2012. Dredd is being developed by British film companies DNA Films, IM Global and Reliance and will be distributed in the United States by Lionsgate.

The film will star Karl Urban as Judge Dredd in a violent, Dystopian future where law enforcement acts as "judge, jury and executioner." Dredd's main goal? To infiltrate and eradicate a gang that deals a "reality-altering" drug called SLO-MO. JUDGE DREDD is currently published by 2000AD.

Check out images from the set of the film below! Be warned that some of the images may be considered graphic.

== TEASER ==

Source: 2000AD

#1 Posted by inferiorego (28256 posts) - - Show Bio

That's one bulky helmet.

Staff
#2 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap. Dredd looks f*cking awesome.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22712 posts) - - Show Bio

man that helmet is huge

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Helmet is horrible.

#5 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

That helmet looks ridiculous, and if the original is anything to go by I doubt this iteration will be up to much.

#6 Posted by sinful (149 posts) - - Show Bio

ugh the helmet...

#7 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks pretty awesome. Yes, it's a pretty big helmet. But overall it looks pretty badass

#8 Posted by emerald_dawn (18 posts) - - Show Bio

So can that helmet kill this movie? Yes I think it can.

#9 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordRequiem said:

That helmet looks ridiculous, and if the original is anything to go by I doubt this iteration will be up to much.

That film will have no bareing on this what so ever. 

I can't wait for this. Since it's British made I hope they stay true to 2000AD
#10 Posted by The Poet (8156 posts) - - Show Bio

cool...

#11 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

@emerald_dawn said:

So can that helmet kill this movie? Yes I think it can.

Just like how Bane's crappy mask in DKR could kill that movie?

#12 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks good. They are going for a modern and more realistic take on Dredd, and that is what it looks like.

#13 Edited by NightFang (10247 posts) - - Show Bio

For f**k sake! The helmet has too be bulky because Dread rides around in a flying motorcycle.

#14 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

#15 Posted by The Impersonator (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

#16 Posted by suikoden352 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

that helmet is ridiculously bulky. it swallows the guy's head pretty much.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, seriously if this film doesn't do well I will actually hunt down every one on this Vine that didn't go and see it and kick there ass. Dredd is the ONLY British character that is remotely successfully and he has to do well or there wont be another.

#18 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Yea, seriously if this film doesn't do well I will actually hunt down every one on this Vine that didn't go and see it and kick there ass. Dredd is the ONLY British character that is remotely successfully and he has to do well or there wont be another.

Well said, my friend.

#19 Posted by buzz_clik (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love a film where Dredd never removes his helmet, or if he does they shoot it in a way that you never see his face properly. Sure, it's not glamourous, but hot damn I'd admire that kind of commitment to the comic and the project.

This definitely looks more promising than the first movie incarnation of Dredd, and I'm more keen to see it than I thought I'd be, but I'm not counting my Umpty before it's unwrapped.

@NightFang said:

For f**k sake the helmet has be bulky because Dread rides around in a flying motorcycle.

Well, sorta. That's current-day thinking, but in the future I'd like to imagine there's some high tech material that's lighter, thinner and stronger than what we've got today.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio
@buzz_clik: They told Urban before he was cast that he would not be talking the helmet off on camera and he said he wouldn't have it any other way.
#21 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

Helmet is horrible.

#22 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@buzz_clik: They told Urban before he was cast that he would not be talking the helmet off on camera and he said he wouldn't have it any other way.

Urban is indeed a known badass.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@buzz_clik: They told Urban before he was cast that he would not be talking the helmet off on camera and he said he wouldn't have it any other way.

Urban is indeed a known badass.

true
#24 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty darn cool thus far. Dredd looks as close as a direct representation as I think they could get.

What troubles me is every other person commenting on how "huge" it is. First of all... it is a helmet. Not a hat. It's supposed to have some bulk to it or else, what's the point?

Secondly, has anyone SEEN what Dredd's helmet looks like in the comics? Seems fairly accurate to me. I'd be more concerned if Dredd wasn't wearing a helmet at all.

#25 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Humina, humina, humina, humina! Amazing. I sooo am gonna see this movie.

#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix said:

Looks pretty darn cool thus far. Dredd looks as close as a direct representation as I think they could get.

What troubles me is every other person commenting on how "huge" it is. First of all... it is a helmet. Not a hat. It's supposed to have some bulk to it or else, what's the point?

Secondly, has anyone SEEN what Dredd's helmet looks like in the comics? Seems fairly accurate to me. I'd be more concerned if Dredd wasn't wearing a helmet at all.

Exactly take a look at last weeks issue of 2000AD:
Issue 1768 
#27 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite part of the Dredd Mythos is the Judges' technology they use for law-enforcement. Particularly the spray-able rubber foam used to contain rioters en masse.

#28 Posted by katanalauncher (934 posts) - - Show Bio

I AM TEH LAWL!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

nobody gonna beat stallone. the new guy looks kinda short. maybe thats why they made the helmet so big, compensating.

#30 Posted by Herx (372 posts) - - Show Bio

The 1995 film was a stalone film. You watched it to see stalone.

This is a dredd Film. You watch it to see dredd.

cant wait.

#31 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

What's hilarious is that Judge Dredd in the comics was, among other things, a parody of the kind of movie it was adapted into. If they can get it even an iota closer to the source material this time, it might actually be worth watching.

And NO taking off the helmet!

#32 Edited by buzz_clik (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: You just made my goddamn day with this information. VERY COOL, MR URBAN.

To be totally honest, I didn't know they were making a Dredd movie until a few days ago; I've really fallen off the 2000 AD fanboy cart, haven't I? But all this has reminded me that I don't have an avatar on CV, so I'mma plug in my Super Deformed Strontium Dog and fly my 2000 AD flag!

#33 Edited by NightFang (10247 posts) - - Show Bio

@buzz_clik said:

@NightFang said:

For f**k sake the helmet has be bulky because Dread rides around in a flying motorcycle.

Well, sorta. That's current-day thinking, but in the future I'd like to imagine there's some high tech material that's lighter, thinner and stronger than what we've got today.

Yeah, but Dread lives in a post-apocalyptic future were the police are literally judge, jury and executioners.

#34 Edited by buzz_clik (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

Yeah, but Dread lives in a post-apocalyptic future were the police are literally judge, jury and executioners.

Yep, but it's also a future where sentient robots are trucking around, and dudes ride flying surfboards. I'm pretty sure their tech's up to snuff.

#35 Posted by NightFang (10247 posts) - - Show Bio

@buzz_clik said:

@NightFang said:

Yep, but it's also a future where sentient robots are trucking around, and dudes ride flying surfboards. I'm pretty sure their tech's up to snuff.

But not enough to prepare the Cursed Earth.

#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34908 posts) - - Show Bio
@buzz_clik said:

@spiderbat87: You just made my goddamn day with this information. VERY COOL, MR URBAN.

To be totally honest, I didn't know they were making a Dredd movie until a few days ago; I've really fallen off the 2000 AD fanboy cart, haven't I? But all this has reminded me that I don't have an avatar on CV, so I'mma plug in my Super Deformed Strontium Dog and fly my 2000 AD flag!

Yea I'm going to have to start reping as well
#37 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Thankfully Olivia Thirlby is not wearing the helmet. Yum.

#38 Posted by frozenedge (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

The helmet is supposed to be bulky, its a helmet made to protect against possible injuries. I like how the second to first picture is a head shot lol. Can't wait for this movie to come out

#39 Posted by Punisher007 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Karl Urban is good at playing a badass.

#40 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@emerald_dawn: You can trust helmets nowadays (Colossus - and now this... *sighs)

#41 Posted by pikahyper (12680 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that is one huge helmet, the whole outfit looks extremely bulky and inefficient.

#42 Posted by Deranged Midget (17961 posts) - - Show Bio

@Punisher007 said:

Karl Urban is good at playing a badass.

Karl Urban is a good actor overall.

#43 Posted by Namor1987 (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember this movie he was like "i'm judge, jury & executioner" I hope it turns out good but I wouldn't mind a Robocop reboot.

#44 Posted by Inverno (13282 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to say... I never read Judge Dredd comics before but I watched the so-bad-its-good-but-otherwise-forgettable Silvester Stallone's movie. This looks really good by the way.

#45 Posted by alphamale73 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have a problem with the helmet, as long as he keeps it on.

#46 Posted by pspin (894 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks cool plus it has Karl Urban, who is awesome, so this should be good

#47 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (381 posts) - - Show Bio

That helmet could seriously lose a few pounds.

#48 Edited by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

All I needed to see was Dredd blowing a guys head off to know I need to see this. It might not have been Dredd, but my needs were delivered upon.

#49 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4760 posts) - - Show Bio

Olivia Thirlby can be my judge, jury and executioner any day.

#50 Posted by TurianAgent (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Who the hell thought that helmet looked good? (talking about the production and the director)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.