Karl Urban is the New Judge Dredd

Posted by No_name_here (330 posts) - - Show Bio
According to Empire, Karl Urban is playing Judge Dredd in the new reboot. There’d been talk of this for a while, but his casting was finally confirmed by the movie’s producers at Movie Con (which I understand to be the UK's answer to the movie biz's presence at Comic Con). Most of you probably know Urban as Bones in the new STAR TREK, but he’s actually been quite prolific in this genre, acting in the likes of CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK, THE BOURNE SUPREMACY and DOOM. You’ll next see him as one of the antagonists in RED. I’ve been a fan of the guy since his turn as Eomer in LORD OF THE RINGS. He’s definitely has leading man chops but, unfortunately, when he's acting in that capacity, directors usually don't know to do with him. 

As you can see, he's certainly got the chin for a proper Dredd.

I bring that up because the producers were keen to stress that Dredd won’t ever be taking his helmet off in this. See, one of the character's trademarks is that you never see his face, so a lot a fans were upset about Sly Stallone going around "maskless" in the last attempt at a DREDD movie (way back in 1995.) == TEASER ==

I still liked this version, too.
The producers are planning to shoot this in Johansburg with a lot of the same crew who from DISTRICT 9. Here's howbreak down their take...

“The main thing about Dredd is that it’s a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago… Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we’ve got to get the tone right. He’s not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He’s going to hit people and it’s going to feel real."

R-rated’s good, but I don’t know if gritty realism is what's needed for this. In fact, a lot of people (including Stallone, actually) thought the first movie was too restrained. It didn’t push the edgy black humor of the comic far enough.  

Either way, I’m eager to see this. JUDGE DREDD’s one of my favorite comics and Urban’s one of the most underrated actors, in my book. Finger crossed, this new movie will give them both a better time to shine.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here.

#1 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

Urban seems like a good choice. But I admit, I liked the old movie.

#2 Posted by Miltos (74 posts) - - Show Bio
Karl Urban is the Law!!!
#3 Posted by Chaos Burn (1788 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this isn't gonna be too cheesey

#4 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see a satirical action movie like the comics were. 

#5 Posted by BuddyBulson (403 posts) - - Show Bio

im so excited for this, growing up i didnt like starwars or anything futuristic like, until i saw tank girl and judge dredd! these movies are awesome and people should see their story as often as possible.

#6 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio

needs judge death , that is all

#7 Posted by TheGreatEqualizerMrNoFear (19 posts) - - Show Bio

JUDGE DREDD IS AWESOME. One of the great under rated concepts of comics. CAN"T WAIT FOR THIS.
#8 Posted by Comik Book Guy (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Karl Urban a lot and I approve of the gritty realism

#9 Posted by Undeadpool (204 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a great pick (one of my favorite under-utilized actors) and I love him both as Eomer and Bones, but the problem I see with this is that the director doesn't seem to be getting the satire of Judge Dredd. It's not really meant to be serious, as people have pointed out, but a darkly comedic look at totalitarianism and fascism. 
But hey, if we're allowed to hope I hope we at least get the Dark Judges teased for a sequel. You can't have them in the first movie, they require too much to already be established.

Staff
#10 Posted by Mediant (321 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Urban, so I'm curious to see how this turns out.

#11 Edited by NightFang (10254 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:

" Urban seems like a good choice. But I admit, I liked the old movie. "

Liking the old movie is may guilty little pleasure.
#12 Posted by BURNTHEPRIEST (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, Urban's not bad, didn't think he would have made a good Bones but he sure surprised me...

#13 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm also a fan of Urban, so this is a pleasant surprise. I kind of wanted him to play Thor, but I think this will be a slightly better fit for him.

@TheGreatEqualizerMrNoFear
said:

" JUDGE DREDD IS AWESOME."
Yes he is.

Face of Fear

Fist of Dredd
#14 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

Well maybe Urban will be good at acting, but can he perfect the Judge Dredd Blow Dance? 

20 YEARS!!!! 

#15 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, Nice.
Now let's just hope they pull it off.
Keep the helmet on please.

#16 Posted by cbishop (7418 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it wasn't like the comic, but Iiked the Stallone Dredd movie.

#17 Posted by AirDave817 (839 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Demolition Man - I mean, Judge Dredd, too. I've only read the Dredd-Batman crossover.

I'll second it - keep the helmet on

#18 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if the guy's got enough chin for the role :/

#19 Posted by JD907 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Good choice.
#20 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to watch Judge Dredd all the time. I can't believe they are making a new one!

#21 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

Urban will be great in this. He's also playing Black Hat in Priest. He's one of my favorite actors so when I heard this rumor a while ago I was hoping it would be confirmed. Yay! :)

#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy is the worst actor ever. Have you seen Star Trek? Every scene he was in brought the film down.
#23 Edited by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said: 

" This guy is the worst actor ever. Have you seen Star Trek? Every scene he was in brought the film down. "

The entire cast of Lens Flare: The Motion Picture was pretty mediocre. The DoP should be shot.
#24 Posted by GraphicCasualFreak (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god another Judge Dred movie, didn't they learn from the last box office disaster. Geez... 

#25 Posted by skaarason (680 posts) - - Show Bio

he's a good actor !

#26 Posted by jakob187 (988 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it just kicks ass, that's all I care about.

#27 Edited by Omegaman10 (540 posts) - - Show Bio

seems like a good choice for dredd. i didnt mind the first one...except having rob schneider in it sorta ruined it for me.
#28 Posted by miraclefan (9 posts) - - Show Bio

As a life long DREDDHEAD I actually feel a hard R may be the wrong way to go.      
#29 Posted by Silkcuts (5123 posts) - - Show Bio

I approve.  Dredd is not a young man anymore.

#30 Posted by CykeX (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome choice for dread

#31 Posted by LiamRawson (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Urban was the standout performance in Star Trek - Great casting. Looking forward to this.

#32 Posted by unbreakableburr (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I could definitely get behind this, Urban is a amazing actor and he seems to genuinely love the sci-fi/comic genre so I think with the right script this would brilliant. 

#33 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if he isn't going to remove his helmet.

#34 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. Urban is actually one of my favorites.

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34936 posts) - - Show Bio

Starting to look good:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.