"Judge Dredd" Movie Script Completed!

  • 74 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you looking forward to a "Judge Dredd" film?



 


 Do you guys remember the " Judge Dredd" movie that was released back in 1995 that starred Sylvester Stallone and Armand Assante? Do you remember how bad it was? Well, they are going to re-make the film. I know, you are probably thinking the same thing I was; "why re-make a really bad movie?" Perhaps because they want to make it better? According to artist Mark Simpson, the concept art for the upcoming film is already underway and the script has been completed.

“Working through script visuals for Judge Dredd movie. Alex Garland writes a great script.”



Alex Garland has written the screenplays for several films including 28 Days Later and Sunshine! both of which were relatively successful films. Mark Simpson was the artist for the Judge Dredd comic books. It will be interesting to see, I think, how closely the script is to the first film, or if it would be considered a re-launch of the first film. I wonder how closely aligned to the comics the upcoming film will be. Are you looking forward to seeing a "Judge Dredd" film?
#1 Posted by aztek_the_lost (30740 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love a good Judge Dredd movie...though personally I prefer some of the other 2000 AD thrills, Judge Dredd could make a good movie I think

Moderator
#2 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer a Demolition Man re-make (or sequel), but this is ok too I always felt that the Judge Dredd movie could have been much better, I hope Rob Schneider will be in this one as well.

#3 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

They are just remaking the first one?...... man i was hoping to see Dredd battle it out with Judge Death

#4 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes. 
 
 
 

#5 Edited by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 AH AM DUH LOO-UH!!!! 
 
All I can say is thank goodness Stallone knows his place. I haven't heard him crying about being Dredd in the new film the way Adam West did when Tim Burton rebooted the Batman franchise. 
I really hope they do a better job this time.
#6 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
Limited would be comic?...that no one cares about!?........sorry but im just gon have to say......... &*$% off.
#7 Edited by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to get Stallone back. That movie's saving grace was how Stallone corned up the lead. If they play it seriously, it'll just be stupid and not in a fun way. Armande Asante was ridiculous and over the top, too.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24083 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady:
watchmen was a great comic but yea the movie was unnecessary
#9 Posted by AirDave817 (786 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a Judge Dredd/Demolition Man crossover? No really, I don't think I could stomach Stallone coming back as Judge Dredd. Maybe somebody like Vinne Jones - wasn't he Juggernaut? Or maybe Seth Rogan. Whoever's available. 

#10 Posted by Sun King (390 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "

WTF.  THIS IS WHY CHICKS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!!!!
#11 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sun King said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
WTF.  THIS IS WHY CHICKS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!!!! "
....................
and this is why you will never have a girlfriend.
#12 Posted by aztek_the_lost (30740 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
that no one's heard of? 
 
what are you talking about? 
 
he's been the main feature of 2000AD for almost it's entire 1650+ issue run, and the progs in 2000AD stay or go based on their popularity, so in other words, Judge Dredd is really popular 
 
granted it's a British comic (though Dredd is technically "American" based on the location of Mega-City One), but to say no one cares about it or reads it sounds like a bit much 
 
as for Watchmen, the reason it's important is because it's what kicked off the current Age of comics, without it, a lot of the great stuff in the past two decades in comics would probably never have happened
Moderator
#13 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Bought fracking time!! 
 
Now I could be wrong but isn't Danny Boyle interested in directing Judge Dredd? I thought I heard that a while back when they said they wanted to make another Dredd film.  Like I said I could be wrong.
 
Personally, I did like the Judge Dredd movie. I thought the way Mega City,Mean Machine and the ABC Warrior looked great to me. I thought Stallone did a good job,certainly had Dredd's chin & heard he wanted to keep the helmet on during the entire film ; but I could be wrong on that rumor. I also thought Diane Lane was just tough and sexy as Judge Hershey. I just could've done it without Rob Shcieder however you spell his last name. Cause at that point it seemed like Demoltion Man 2. Also thought that it should've been alot more grittier & push it to the next level of balls to the wall. 
 
So hopefully we'll get to see a tougher looking Dredd film and honestly wouldn't mind seeing Sly back since he's making a great come back with Rocky, Rambo & the Expendables. 
 

 
#14 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters. 
 
Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it. 
 
The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened. 
 
 
 
#15 Posted by welshguy79 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Huzzah! In the minority again in that I liked the Judge Dredd movie. Like any comic adaptation done well, with all respect paid to the character, the history and the fan-base (however obsessive, insane or downright out of their tiny minds) a Judge Dredd movie could be so damn good. Just don't tone the character down, keep him a bad-ass who enforces a brutal form of law in a grim, authoritarian future. Because, if the Simpsons taught us anything, democracy simply doesn't work.

#16 Posted by aztek_the_lost (30740 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
I can't argue with you because obviously you don't know your comic history and refused to learn it but Watchmen was something different back in the 80's and it was Alan Moore who kicked off a new era of comics with Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Swamp Thing, all of which are now regarded as some of the greatest stories in the medium. Now, I will admit, your non-comic reader or casual reader probably won't have heard of these titles and to them the idea of the Watchmen movie doesn't mean anything, but to actual comic fans Watchmen was and is a big deal.
Moderator
#17 Posted by dondasch (925 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
Still ripping on the Watchmen eh?  As you've obviously never read it, let me remind you of a few things.
 
1.  Watchmen was named by no less than Time magazine as one of the greatest works of literature in the 20th century.   Watchmen has also been included in the curricula of many English departments of colleges as worthwhile material to study.
2.  Watchmen, along with Dark Knight Returns, are regarded as the two titles that kicked off the current age of comics.
3.  By your estimate of Watchmen being a "dumb rip off" you are essentially saying that its creator, Alan Moore, is nothing more than a hack.  History, and his legion of fans and critics, prove otherwise.  Watchmen is a masterwork, unrivalled by anything in comics
 
This is not a personal attack.  Yes, the movie bombed.  The reason was because it NEVER should have been done, as I have said before.  Before you go about saying that Watchmen has nothing substantial, at least take the time to read the book, as apparently you have not.
 
Regards
#18 Posted by Sun King (390 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Sun King said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
WTF.  THIS IS WHY CHICKS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!!!! "
.................... and this is why you will never have a girlfriend. "

LOL.    touché
#19 Posted by NightFang (9632 posts) - - Show Bio

The first movie was ok but i'm hoping this re-make will be better.

#20 Posted by Sun King (390 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "

 
 
 

BLASPHEMY!!!!!! 
 
Have you even read the Watchmen!!!!

#21 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio

The first movie wasn't too bad if you take for what it was. Sure it's no 'Shawshank Redemption' but it wasn't bad either. I prefer too see other titles before this one but I wouldn't mind watching this one either. =)

#22 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
that no one's heard of?  what are you talking about?  he's been the main feature of 2000AD for almost it's entire 1650+ issue run, and the progs in 2000AD stay or go based on their popularity, so in other words, Judge Dredd is really popular  granted it's a British comic (though Dredd is technically "American" based on the location of Mega-City One), but to say no one cares about it or reads it sounds like a bit much  as for Watchmen, the reason it's important is because it's what kicked off the current Age of comics, without it, a lot of the great stuff in the past two decades in comics would probably never have happened "
No one reads 20something whatever you said. It's was not a comic with a significant, substantial or grounded readership. It was made into a movie that bombed because it's cheap crap. That's why they make bad comics into bad movies that no one goes to see. 
 
 
 
#23 Posted by aztek_the_lost (30740 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
that no one's heard of?  what are you talking about?  he's been the main feature of 2000AD for almost it's entire 1650+ issue run, and the progs in 2000AD stay or go based on their popularity, so in other words, Judge Dredd is really popular  granted it's a British comic (though Dredd is technically "American" based on the location of Mega-City One), but to say no one cares about it or reads it sounds like a bit much  as for Watchmen, the reason it's important is because it's what kicked off the current Age of comics, without it, a lot of the great stuff in the past two decades in comics would probably never have happened "
No one reads 20something whatever you said. It's was not a comic with a significant, substantial or grounded readership. It was made into a movie that bombed because it's cheap crap. That's why they make bad comics into bad movies that no one goes to see.     "
plenty of people read 2000AD...it's been going for over 30 years and just released #1652 this week so I think if no one read it, it would have been cancelled a long time ago 
 
the reason comic movies don't become big hits is because apart from Batman and Superman, non-comic readers don't really know anyone else so they won't be going to it based on the fact that it's a "comic book movie" and they've heard of that character or comic before and comic readers who do know the comic are always the worst audience for a comic book movie because they are horrible critics (myself included) since all they focus upon is how crummily it was adapted 
 
also, that was the 90's...the money movies were pulling in back then looks like chump's change compared to modern movies
Moderator
#24 Posted by Green ankh (997 posts) - - Show Bio

You people are hard to please. I like the Dredd film.
#25 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:

" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
I can't argue with you because obviously you don't know your comic history and refused to learn it but Watchmen was something different back in the 80's and it was Alan Moore who kicked off a new era of comics with Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Swamp Thing, all of which are now regarded as some of the greatest stories in the medium. Now, I will admit, your non-comic reader or casual reader probably won't have heard of these titles and to them the idea of the Watchmen movie doesn't mean anything, but to actual comic fans Watchmen was and is a big deal. "  
 
Oh, come now, Sir Harry. I bought Fantastic Four No. 2 when it was on newstands. This was in a time when you British viewed American music as a cultural threat to your nation and language and your government evangelized music programs to come up with bands like The Beatles to combat the evils of America. 
 
You are lost, but you're certainly not Aztec. From this perspective you are giving me you are a liar and a troll, I would think, and possible for Warners. You'll notice America didn't buy Watchmen and didn't flock to the movie. Read it and weep, funnyboy. 
 
You need to get off your troll throne on Gayboy Village Island and learn real comic history, show business boy. 
 
 
 
#26 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

" @Sun King said:

" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
WTF.  THIS IS WHY CHICKS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!!!! "
.................... and this is why you will never have a girlfriend. "
Haha. Nice one. Thanks, and quite probably true. 
 
 
 
#27 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I love when lady flips her wig and starts accusing people of being British.

#28 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sun King said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "

 
 
 

BLASPHEMY!!!!!! 
 
Have you even read the Watchmen!!!!

"
Ya, I've read it. 
 
Have you ever watched The Outer Limits, or read comics in general? No? 
 
Then don't troll me, little boy, please. 
 
 
 
#29 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Sun King said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
WTF.  THIS IS WHY CHICKS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!!!! "
.................... and this is why you will never have a girlfriend. "

Well DAAAMN HA HA HA
#30 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" I love when lady flips her wig and starts accusing people of being British. "
Well, you're certainly not American, and you are quite the wig flipper, aren't you, sweetheart. Your defensiveness of all things Brit is most apparent in your posts. My being an American, and an American woman, seems to have you in a constant tizzie. Why so serious? Did I get your knickers in a bind?
 
 
 
#31 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Again?!

#32 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"@aztek the lost said:

" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:

" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
I can't argue with you because obviously you don't know your comic history and refused to learn it but Watchmen was something different back in the 80's and it was Alan Moore who kicked off a new era of comics with Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Swamp Thing, all of which are now regarded as some of the greatest stories in the medium. Now, I will admit, your non-comic reader or casual reader probably won't have heard of these titles and to them the idea of the Watchmen movie doesn't mean anything, but to actual comic fans Watchmen was and is a big deal. "  
 Oh, come now, Sir Harry. I bought Fantastic Four No. 2 when it was on newstands. This was in a time when you British viewed American music as a cultural threat to your nation and language and your government evangelized music programs to come up with bands like The Beatles to combat the evils of America.  You are lost, but you're certainly not Aztec. From this perspective you are giving me you are a liar and a troll, I would think, and possible for Warners. You'll notice America didn't buy Watchmen and didn't flock to the movie. Read it and weep, funnyboy.  You need to get off your troll throne on Gayboy Village Island and learn real comic history, show business boy.     "

I am British and I have many American and German friends who read / collect 2000 AD. 
So there is a substantial fanbase. 
Have you read it as It appears not from your statements ? 
#33 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@the creator said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"@aztek the lost said:

" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:

" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
I can't argue with you because obviously you don't know your comic history and refused to learn it but Watchmen was something different back in the 80's and it was Alan Moore who kicked off a new era of comics with Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Swamp Thing, all of which are now regarded as some of the greatest stories in the medium. Now, I will admit, your non-comic reader or casual reader probably won't have heard of these titles and to them the idea of the Watchmen movie doesn't mean anything, but to actual comic fans Watchmen was and is a big deal. "  
 Oh, come now, Sir Harry. I bought Fantastic Four No. 2 when it was on newstands. This was in a time when you British viewed American music as a cultural threat to your nation and language and your government evangelized music programs to come up with bands like The Beatles to combat the evils of America.  You are lost, but you're certainly not Aztec. From this perspective you are giving me you are a liar and a troll, I would think, and possible for Warners. You'll notice America didn't buy Watchmen and didn't flock to the movie. Read it and weep, funnyboy.  You need to get off your troll throne on Gayboy Village Island and learn real comic history, show business boy.     "
I am British and I have many American and German friends who read / collect 2000 AD. So there is a substantial fanbase. Have you read it as It appears not from your statements ?  "
Oh, I've read it and thankfully I don't. I guess Americans in comics have to count as real friends in your case. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble for communicating with an American, or a woman, Sir Bashful, so perhaps you better run along. 
 
 
 
#34 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#35 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@dondasch said:

" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:

" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
Still ripping on the Watchmen eh?  As you've obviously never read it, let me remind you of a few things.  1.  Watchmen was named by no less than Time magazine as one of the greatest works of literature in the 20th century.   Watchmen has also been included in the curricula of many English departments of colleges as worthwhile material to study.2.  Watchmen, along with Dark Knight Returns, are regarded as the two titles that kicked off the current age of comics. 3.  By your estimate of Watchmen being a "dumb rip off" you are essentially saying that its creator, Alan Moore, is nothing more than a hack.  History, and his legion of fans and critics, prove otherwise.  Watchmen is a masterwork, unrivalled by anything in comics  This is not a personal attack.  Yes, the movie bombed.  The reason was because it NEVER should have been done, as I have said before.  Before you go about saying that Watchmen has nothing substantial, at least take the time to read the book, as apparently you have not.  Regards "
Time Magazine, as in Time Warner, is owned by Time Warner, no less, quite possibly like yourself. Anything you read in it is subject to it's usual Time Warnerness. Name me one college or university seriously offering it for study.
 
The "current age of comics" was being molded long before and after that, kiddo. 
 
Alan Moore is a hack who doesn't even like comics, or the superheroes within them. And, quite probably, worse.
 
Watchmen is Britmade junk rivaled by everything from pulp fiction to Batman to The Spirit to The Fantastic Four to Nick Fury to The Fourth World to The Punisher to Batman : Year One... Need I continue? Don't make us all laugh at your childish incredulity too hard, as we may have to hurt your feelings, and apparently your manhood, if you have any, which by your accounts seems most dubious. 
 
ANY movie based on a work as grand as you put it would have been an astronomical success, instead of the mediocre, forgotten and unheard of mess it truly was, just like the comic attempt. The reality speaks for itself. 
 
I have read the "book", since when it was originally published in 12 issues, more times than you have read in your life from the supposition of it. Your little talk doesn't impress me, either. 
 
 
 
#36 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @the creator said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"@aztek the lost said:

" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:

" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
I can't argue with you because obviously you don't know your comic history and refused to learn it but Watchmen was something different back in the 80's and it was Alan Moore who kicked off a new era of comics with Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Swamp Thing, all of which are now regarded as some of the greatest stories in the medium. Now, I will admit, your non-comic reader or casual reader probably won't have heard of these titles and to them the idea of the Watchmen movie doesn't mean anything, but to actual comic fans Watchmen was and is a big deal. "  
 Oh, come now, Sir Harry. I bought Fantastic Four No. 2 when it was on newstands. This was in a time when you British viewed American music as a cultural threat to your nation and language and your government evangelized music programs to come up with bands like The Beatles to combat the evils of America.  You are lost, but you're certainly not Aztec. From this perspective you are giving me you are a liar and a troll, I would think, and possible for Warners. You'll notice America didn't buy Watchmen and didn't flock to the movie. Read it and weep, funnyboy.  You need to get off your troll throne on Gayboy Village Island and learn real comic history, show business boy.     "
I am British and I have many American and German friends who read / collect 2000 AD. So there is a substantial fanbase. Have you read it as It appears not from your statements ?  "
Oh, I've read it and thankfully I don't. I guess Americans in comics have to count as real friends in your case. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble for communicating with an American, or a woman, Sir Bashful, so perhaps you better run along.     "

Sigh..... 
Another person just looking to start arguments. 
#37 Posted by SuperXAsh (506 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno... is there enough story or plot or depth to Judge Dredd's comics to make a movie?? Tried my hardest to learn more about this character and half the time most of the plots just seemed to boil down to "big villain(s) kills thousands/millions of MegaCity's civilians amidst massive amounts of over-the-top violence, then Dredd manages to violently restore the status quo with no visible effects/changes despite the huge amounts of carnage and death created by the whole mess." or "Dredd begins to question the fascist tendencies of the Judges, but then apparently decides to forget about it and keep on working there despite his apparent reservations." 
  
Maybe I just don't GET IT. *shrugs*
#38 Posted by jakob187 (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever, I enjoyed the original.  It was over-the-top, ridiculous, and crazy...just like the comic it is based on.  I'm down for anything Judge Dredd is in!

#39 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Sun King said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
"This is more Watchmen/Wanted style crap. A big movie based on a limited would-be comic that no one cares about, much less has heard of. Another property that's relatively cheap to acquire, cutting their losses when that time comes.     "
WTF.  THIS IS WHY CHICKS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE!!!! "
.................... and this is why you will never have a girlfriend. "
Bravo, Babs!! *applauding*
Some of my best friends on this site are women. 

I liked The Watchmen movie. It wasn't fine art film, but it had that twist I love that you see in V for Vendetta.
I thought the first Judge Dredd movie was alright, but it was silly how his "clone" looked nothing like him.
#40 Edited by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen is my single favorite comic story. It's cliche to say this, I know, but that book and Dark Knight Returns really mean a lot to me. 
 
As far as 2000AD, I am aware of its legendary status abroad. I didn't like the Stallone movie, but was really pleased when I heard they were doing a remake. (Making it in Europe, I think, which is good.)

#41 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailer for the original movie was kinda funny!!

#42 Posted by Kenjav (155 posts) - - Show Bio

 
I really liked the first one. Of course I was like 12..... but still

#43 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

The first movie was ok. Not great, but not horrible. It doesn't have much re-watch value. Stallone shouldn't have been in it, or that guy that was Dredd's clone.

#44 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, can't remember the original movie much at all, so a new film would be good.

#45 Posted by larrytalk (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Judge Dredd is the one of best comic characters out there. That movie did no justice to the character nor did DC's run on it. Do a remake of Judge Dredd. If done right it would be huge. Let the 2000ad folks work on it with the movie folks sort of like how the new marvel movies are being made with imput from the marvel writers that know those characters.

#46 Posted by Om1kron (1168 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
"
 
So hopefully we'll get to see a tougher looking Dredd film and honestly wouldn't mind seeing Sly back since he's making a great come back with Rocky, Rambo & the Expendables. 
 

 
"
I agree with this... for one his skin at his age matches the style of the art from the comic lol.   
#47 Posted by Sun King (390 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @Sun King said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "

    

BLASPHEMY!!!!!! 
 
Have you even read the Watchmen!!!!

"
Ya, I've read it.  Have you ever watched The Outer Limits, or read comics in general? No?  Then don't troll me, little boy, please.     "

Yeah, I've watched, and enjoyed, loads of episodes of Outer Limits (are you suggesting that there's an episode that Moore ripped off, if so do share...)

And yes, I've read quite a few comics in my day. Which is why I think Watchmen is one of the best comics ever. You'll notice that while some people agree with you about the movie NOBODY has agreed with your view of the book. But each to their own (it obviously went waaayyy over your head, maybe you just don't like comics that try and make you think a little).

Just out of curiosity what would you class as the best Graphic Novel of the last 30 years?

#48 Posted by Tai77 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

"The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened."
 
Its much simpler than that.......it bombed coz it was just genreally a badly written film and badly acted. Some comics should never be made into films, for the simple reason you just cant recreate what the comics did. Watchmen is a prime example.

#49 Posted by dondasch (925 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:
" @dondasch said:

" @The Sharp Dressed Lady said:

" @aztek the lost: Watchmen started positively nothing and was forgotten about after the 12 issues, the ONLY 12 issues, of it were published. A dumb rip-off of an Outer Limits episode with incredulous characters which were in turn intended rip-offs of long existing and read earlier characters.  Warners boosted it because it was cheap for them to do it.  The movie bombed because the comic wasn't anything substantial to be making such a giant movie on in the first place. End of story with Watchmen, as it happened.     "
Still ripping on the Watchmen eh?  As you've obviously never read it, let me remind you of a few things.  1.  Watchmen was named by no less than Time magazine as one of the greatest works of literature in the 20th century.   Watchmen has also been included in the curricula of many English departments of colleges as worthwhile material to study.2.  Watchmen, along with Dark Knight Returns, are regarded as the two titles that kicked off the current age of comics. 3.  By your estimate of Watchmen being a "dumb rip off" you are essentially saying that its creator, Alan Moore, is nothing more than a hack.  History, and his legion of fans and critics, prove otherwise.  Watchmen is a masterwork, unrivalled by anything in comics  This is not a personal attack.  Yes, the movie bombed.  The reason was because it NEVER should have been done, as I have said before.  Before you go about saying that Watchmen has nothing substantial, at least take the time to read the book, as apparently you have not.  Regards "
Time Magazine, as in Time Warner, is owned by Time Warner, no less, quite possibly like yourself. Anything you read in it is subject to it's usual Time Warnerness. Name me one college or university seriously offering it for study. The "current age of comics" was being molded long before and after that, kiddo.  Alan Moore is a hack who doesn't even like comics, or the superheroes within them. And, quite probably, worse. Watchmen is Britmade junk rivaled by everything from pulp fiction to Batman to The Spirit to The Fantastic Four to Nick Fury to The Fourth World to The Punisher to Batman : Year One... Need I continue? Don't make us all laugh at your childish incredulity too hard, as we may have to hurt your feelings, and apparently your manhood, if you have any, which by your accounts seems most dubious.  ANY movie based on a work as grand as you put it would have been an astronomical success, instead of the mediocre, forgotten and unheard of mess it truly was, just like the comic attempt. The reality speaks for itself.  I have read the "book", since when it was originally published in 12 issues, more times than you have read in your life from the supposition of it. Your little talk doesn't impress me, either.     "
My, My.  What a fantastically magical world you must live in.  Wherever shall I start? Hmm...Well, the beginning looks as good as antything.
 
By your estimate, Watchmen should be at the very top of that list, should it not?  I mean, why just put the book at the place where it was?  Why not, being Warner, simply bump everything out of the way?  Oh, that's right, it didn't happen.  Tell me, are you the fourth member of The Lone Gunman by chance?
 
Define "serious" by your standards, lofty and paranoid influenced as they are.
 
Your xenophobic behavior is actually pretty disturbing.  Were you impugned upon as a little girl by a British person to have such animosity and misguidedness?  
 
When you say, "Don't make us all laugh at your childish incredulity", does this mean the, apparently, multiple people/voices you have inside you?  I'm actually curious, and suggest you seek help.
 
Don't concern yourself with my manhood, I'll get by quite well :)
 
Oh, and this is classic.  "ANY movie based on a work as grand as you put it would have been an astronomical success, instead of the mediocre, forgotten and unheard of mess it truly was".  I don't have to do the heavy lifting on Watchmen, thankfully.  It's already been done by members inside and outside of the comic industry.  As far as your succinctness on the Watchmen movie, yes it was a disaster and should never have been made.  This was due to the movie producing team, and not the work.
 
My "little talk" wasn't meant to impress, or inspire, as I honestly care nothing for you.  But, I digress and have to go back to reality now.  So you go back to your virtual world, decide on whether to take the red pill or blue pill and have fun being you :)
#50 Posted by crazywolf (653 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't enjoy the Dredd movie with Stallone and the guy playing Dredd's clone, Armand Assante, as much as my friends but I was entertained by the movie anyway. Mostly just for being the popcorn movie entrtainment that gave me a few laughs. Judge Dredd in the comics has never been part of my regular reading list but I had heard of him prior to hearing about the first movie. I would probably see a Judge Dredd movie when another one comes out just because I'm curious about it. 
 
off-topic: Watchmen is a cool book and probabaly not for other people's tastes. Probably should not have been made into a movie though. 
 
Never thought I'd see a mod accused of being a troll either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.