Judge Dredd Film Synopsis and Official Title

Posted by inferiorego (25708 posts) - - Show Bio
Remember that Sly Stallone Judge Dredd film from the early 90s? Yes, it was pretty bad, but it summed up the time period: pure action, lacking a quality story. Times have changed, and it's time once again for the Judge Dredd comic series to take center stage once again. This time, they're taking a more serious look at the series.

SlashFilm recently reported that the upcoming Judge Dredd remake has a new title: Dredd. Most likely trying to distance itself from the Sly film which, looking back, is a little cheesy. Getting that first film out of the audience's mind is the first step in making a sweet Judge Dredd film.

In addition to a renaming of the film, the description for the film was released, and it's exactly what you think: " DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Peter Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s revered comic strip."

Sounds a lot like the first film, but since we don't have a real synopsis of the film, who knows? I've got a good feeling about the film from the description, especially the part that says, "returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation." I'm hoping for an ultra-violent Dark Knight in a Judge Dredd costume, and I have complete faith in Karl Urban (Played Bones in the latest Star Trek) playing the part of Judge Dredd. The film is set to drop in 2012. What do you guys think? Do you like the name change? What do you think of the description of the film?
Staff
#1 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the movie again a few days ago. I liked that movie.Sure it wasn't a great movie. As for the new movie, the description sounds good. As for the name I would prefer Judge Dredd but it's not up to me.

#2 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome 
2012 wil be an awesome year

#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Hoping this is going to be awesome...I only saw a bit of the former  film and it was pretty bad. Maybe they can adapt an actual story...Judgment Day anyone?

#4 Posted by Balliard (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I got the script for anyone who wants to read itbut its not the final draft

#5 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the Stallone one. This one does sound pretty good, though.

#6 Posted by ohms@sith (13 posts) - - Show Bio

The production design in the '95 movie was amazing, they got the 'look' spot-on.
If this new film leaves out the totally out of place 'unfunny stand-up' sidekick that 
will be a big plus.

#7 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to this. Urban is a great choice and I'm really glad to see Dredd finally getting a serious adaptation. He's one of the great comics characters. 

#8 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said: 

"it was pretty bad, but it summed up the time period: pure action, lacking a quality story. Times have changed"

The Expendables, Scott Pilgrim Vs the world, Jonah Hex... All movies which had lots of action and very little story to them. Maybe times have changed a bit, but there are still movies out there that should of had a better quality of story.

With all that said, I think that Karl Urban would make a darker and grittier version of Dredd (because they are the only two adjectives in the world) than Stallone's Hollwood Dredd, which was kinda light considering the narrative (plus the comedy sidekick) - Urban did quite a good job of dark and gritty in Doom, so I would trust him in the role. I am also fairly happy with the title, removing the "judge" part would imply that they are going for the aforementioned "darker and grittier" Dredd movie and that kinda harkens back to those single word titles that gives you a clue to the movie, but keeps it in mystery (Terminator, Alien, Blade, Psycho, Jaws etc) The question is: could Dredd be as good as some of them?
#9 Posted by Deadman Wade (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I think it's really cliche' that every time an older movie is brought up someone has to say something bad about it. Some movies may deserve a good tongue lashing, but not every single one. This one was good for the time it came out into theaters. There was a story plot to the movie close to that of many comics in quality. There was an antagonist and a protagonist, which were played out pretty well and had a good cast, including Rob Schneider ( I guess). I enjoyed the movie, and will again the next time I decide to view it. Is it just me, or is this a common thing when referring to a film that has any prior history in cinema these days?  

If you need to know what the story was about because you couldn't get it, I can give a synopsis next time I am on. Sorry! Sorry if I am freaking, guys! I liked this movie!    

#10 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, sounds like they MAY do it right this time. Dredd would execute stallone on the spot for the 90's version.

#11 Posted by .o0Johnny0o. (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd is the flagship for 2000AD so it's always gonna be the first choice when it comes to the silver screen and more likely to be made a crowd pleaser than a fan pleaser.  That said, I hope this movie's a great financial success so maybe the treasure trove of 2000AD stories can be exploited and see some favourites make the big screen!

#12 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

What are odds on them pointing out that Dredd is a fascist?

#13 Posted by cbishop (8345 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadman Wade said:
"Wow, I think it's really cliche' that every time an older movie is brought up someone has to say something bad about it. Some movies may deserve a good tongue lashing, but not every single one. This one was good for the time it came out into theaters. There was a story plot to the movie close to that of many comics in quality. There was an antagonist and a protagonist, which were played out pretty well and had a good cast, including Rob Schneider ( I guess). I enjoyed the movie, and will again the next time I decide to view it. Is it just me, or is this a common thing when referring to a film that has any prior history in cinema these days?  

If you need to know what the story was about because you couldn't get it, I can give a synopsis next time I am on. Sorry! Sorry if I am freaking, guys! I liked this movie!"

It's not just you.  The movie was good, it just wasn't like the comic, apparently.  I had two complaints about it: 1) There wasn't an all-out battle with the clones, at the end.  They built up this big threat, then just blew 'em up. 2) Stallone never should have taken the helmet off.  As far as I know, Dredd has never taken it off in the comics (but I'm going by others' comments, so don't know tht for sure). 

Other than that, I really enjoyed that movie.
#14 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally loved the Judge Dredd movie. Would've been better if Rob wasn't in the movie. 

I hope we get to see Rico , Judge Death and Mean Machine.
#15 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

It sounds good to me. Karl Urban as Judge Dredd is good and the story sounds fine, but the Title is Awesome !!!!!!!! I really hope this movie is good.
#16 Posted by Manchine (4173 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
"I saw the movie again a few days ago. I liked that movie.Sure it wasn't a great movie. As for the new movie, the description sounds good. As for the name I would prefer Judge Dredd but it's not up to me. "
#17 Posted by DXmagma (91 posts) - - Show Bio

i actually saw the first half of the 90's movie a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good, so i'm looking forward to this.

#18 Posted by miraclefan (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
"I personally loved the Judge Dredd movie. Would've been better if Rob wasn't in the movie.  I hope we get to see Rico , Judge Death and Mean Machine. "

They won't be in this movie.
#19 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Neo noir draws me in.  

#20 Posted by Druid (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I look forward to seeing this. I think they should still have Judge Dredd in the title though to avoid confusion and for continuity. There's no need to take "Judge" out of the title because the first movie bombed. Instead, follow that with something else to distinguish it from the first movie.  How about "Judge Dredd: Judgement Day"...yeah that's a terminator rip off, but you get the point.  Superman Returns, Batman Begins, etc.

#21 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

2011 and 2012 will kick ass.
Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America, Avengers, Judge Dredd. woo.

#22 Posted by Wildish (99 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego:
I think it's about time they had another stab at a Judge Dredd Film I hope it features Judge Death as the main villian, he is the arch enemy after all
#23 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Judge_Dredd (149 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie has Judge Anderson (of psi-division fame) in it alongside ol' JD. And the pic of Urban in the Dredd suit and helmet going around looks pretty sweet. I for one can't wait for this flick!

Speaking of Judge Death, not to get ahead of ourselves, but if this movie is successful enough for a sequel you know our buddy Judge Death will be there!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.