Follow

Judge Dredd

Character » Judge Dredd appears in 3992 issues.

In the dystopian post-apocalyptic future of the 22nd century, crime runs rampant in Mega-City One. Here the people are policed by the Judges, elite cops prepared to do whatever it takes to keep the peace, even if it means sentencing criminals to death on the spot. And the most feared of all the Judges is Judge Dredd.

IDW To Bring JUDGE DREDD To America

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Up until recently if you wanted to read Judge Dredd and you happened to live outside of the UK, you would have had to special order the weekly released British Sci-Fi anthology, 2000AD. Now, IDW has released news that will thrill Judge Dredd fans and introduce the character to a new generation of American comic book enthusiasts. IDW has recently announced that they would be partnering with Judge Dredd publisher Rebellion to release Judge Dredd reprints as well as all-new stories featuring the character. Based on a recent statement made by IDW's chief creative officer Chris Ryall, the publisher is thrilled.

No Caption Provided
    "My interest in Judge Dredd far predates my tenure at IDW, so it’s a real drokkin' pleasure for us to now be the first American publisher in 18 years to create new tales of Dredd," said Chris Ryall, IDW's chief creative officer/editor-in-chief, in a statement.

The news comes at a very appropriate time considering a remake of the 'Judge Dredd' is currently in production in the UK. The partnership is bound to be successful for IDW who publishes an array of independent titles including G.I. JOE, 30 DAYS OF NIGHT and STAR TREK comics. Adding JUDGE DREDD prior to the release of the film is bound to boost sales, and it's a great way to introduce readers to the character who first appeared in the 2000AD anthology in 1977.

Some of the biggest names in comics have written Judge Dredd including (but not limited to Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and Alan Moore, so reprints of their issues might be worth picking up. What do you think of the news? Are you looking forward to reading Judge Dredd in IDW's new series? Are you familiar with the character?

Avatar image for greenflashlight
    Greenflashlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Greenflashlight

Nice

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By blindisaac

I have wanted to read some 2000AD stuff but it is all too expensive so I might check this out.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

Spider87 bait.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Honestly, I've never cared much about the Judd Dredd universe or had any motivation to dive into it, but I have a soft spot for IDW and absolutely love what they're doing with TMNT. Because of that, I'll absolutely check out the first few issues.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NightFang3

Welcome to the U.S.A!

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

HUZZAH! :D

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NXH

Maybe they'll bring back Rich Elson to do a run. As he has made it big in the U.S with JITM.

Actually, I'd love to see him do Archie Comics' Sonic The Hedgehog as that's where he started off with the British version. Who knows...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Argh how did I not notice this!!!?  More Yanks should check out 2000AD (if they can) it's all the weekly Sci Fi goodness a guy needs, it's not just good old Joe Dredd but many characters also I wonder if the use of the word Thrill in this article was intentional? 

@ReVamp said:

Spider87 bait.

LOL
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

Honestly, I've never cared much about the Judd Dredd universe or had any motivation to dive into it, but I have a soft spot for IDW and absolutely love what they're doing with TMNT. Because of that, I'll absolutely check out the first few issues.

You realize they're not writing anything though... just taking it over to the states, right?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: It's my understanding there will be new stories and they're making it so anyone can jump on-board?

And my soft spot for IDW simply means I'm prone to support / try out virtually anything they'll introduce that even remotely has my interest.

/plants fanboy flag

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp: It's my understanding there will be new stories and they're making it so anyone can jump on-board?

You're right, I'm sorry.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp said:

@k4tzm4n said:

You're right, I'm sorry.

I can't forgive you, ReVamp. Not after all those times you creased my comics and laughed about it.

I KNOW IT WAS YOU!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @k4tzm4n: Why you no like Dredd? :(
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@spiderbat87: I don't dislike Dredd, but it was never really a franchise that stood out to me. I barely remember the film (was pretty young when I saw it) and nothing about it was ever especially appealing to me. But maybe this can win me over :D

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By damswedon

Just a correction. While Alan Moore did write for 2000AD including stories like The Ballard of Halo Jones, D.R. and Quinch, and many Future Shocks and Time Twisters. He never had any Dredd's published.

God I hope they don't try to use names like Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, or Garth Ennis early on to try and sell the book to new readers. That would be like shooting the book in the head before it even has a chance.

I do wonder if this is going to just be focused on the Dredd series or if it will incorporate the Dredd-verse as a whole.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#16  Edited By The Impersonator

I'm familiar with the law. =P

Lexino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lexino

I AM THE LAW!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ahhh this is fantastic! Been a fan of Dredd in like forever and see this as welcome news for IDW to have their chance with him! ::Applauds::

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

#19  Edited By Silkcuts
    @damswedon said:

@Babs Just a correction. While Alan Moore did write for 2000AD including stories like The Ballard of Halo Jones, D.R. and Quinch, and many Future Shocks and Time Twisters. He never had any Dredd's published.

God I hope they don't try to use names like Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, or Garth Ennis early on to try and sell the book to new readers. That would be like shooting the book in the head before it even has a chance.

I do wonder if this is going to just be focused on the Dredd series or if it will incorporate the Dredd-verse as a whole.

Moore did write a Judge Dredd, it was never illustrated, the script can be found in The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore.  So the correction is Moore did write Dredd, but his story can't be collected since it never saw the light of day.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By kennybaese

Didn't they announce a while ago that they were bringing the Morrison/Millar story where he fights god to the states? Or was that some weird fever dream I had?

pahphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pahphoenix

Mega-City Kick-Ass Time. And how could you leave Neil Gaiman off the list of Dredd writers. Tsk Tsk.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By damswedon

@pahphoenix: I might be wrong, but that might be because Neil Gaiman never wrote a Dredd. According to Wikipedia he did write a short Judge Hershey text story, but the rest of his 2000AD work was just Future Shocks.

@Silkcuts: That is why I used the word published. Also if I remember rightly wasn't that script never finished because John Wagner and Alan Grant had finally been locked into their 80's run.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

#23  Edited By Silkcuts
    @damswedon said:

@Silkcuts: That is why I used the word published. Also if I remember rightly wasn't that script never finished because John Wagner and Alan Grant had finally been locked into their 80's run.

"Published" as a comic, yes it was not, but Published as a story it was as a script...lol
    I get your comment to Babs, I felt I had to play devils advocate since most people pick on her.
    You are right she implied in her article the story existed as a comic and that was fair to do,
    I am just pointing out she was not completely wrong, just confused with facts.

I forget what the intro said for sure, but I remember it being a test sample to see what Moore could do.  He was unproven at that time.  The story was never used because Dredd was still John Wagner's. I don't know if IDW intended to adapted the script and that is where Babs might of gotten confused.  I really don't know.  But I would love to see Moore's Dredd in Comic form.
    KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By KidSupreme

wow i'm looking forward to this.

Alton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Alton

Hopefully,the (movie?)the article above was a little confusing, isn't a remake of the Stallone film.Why would anyone want to remake that piece of crap?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.