Follow

Judd Winick

Person » Judd Winick is credited in 566 issues.

Judd Winick is a writer and creator of titles such as "Barry Ween, Boy Genius", and the graphic novel, "Pedro and Me". He has also written Outsiders, Exiles, and had a five-year run on Green Arrow.

Green Arrow/Black Canary and Titans interview

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

WIZARD: How's it been, writing Green Arrow with a co-star?

WINICK: Truth is I don’t see Black Canary as a co-star. I’m writing it as a team book. It’s equal in my opinion. And for me, Green Arrow as a title has always been about the family. Now, there’s a mom and dad, two heads of this brood.

So no issues having both characters in the book?

I like having them both in there. It’s much easier interplay. Green Arrow gets to be an idiot and move past it quickly because Dinah calls him on it. And in Dinah’s case, she gets to show all of her sides while being a superhero. Level-headed, caring and a devastating opponent. Sometimes all in the same scene. I love it.

Married superheroes have been frowned upon by the readership. How are you bucking that tradition? What’s been the biggest challenge?

I think married heroes are a particular thing. It’s different for each couple. I think Lois and Clark getting married was good, and needed. In this day and age we wouldn’t expect Lois to be so stupid that she wouldn’t realize that they’re the same person. I’m not sure it adds to the story that they’re hitched, but it got rid of this rather outdated elephant in the room.

So Green Arrow and Black Canary’s marriage won’t hinder the story?

Well, look at Reed Richards and Sue Storm. That works. Two heroes, side by side. Both with powers, both fighting the fight. It works. I think it’s the same with Ollie and Dinah. I see the story progressing better with them together. What we’re trying to do is best represent them not just as a married couple, but as a crime-fighting duo.

What’s the toughest part about writing Green Arrow/Black Canary?

Playing it for laughs too much. I have too much fun with them, and slamming on the brakes to hit with the drama has been hard. But, as you can see, we went with some pretty heavy drama.

How’s it been working with Cliff Chiang?

In general, Cliff is delivering a new look. When people try and compare his art to other artists, they usually mention more than two names. Meaning it sort of defies comparison. He’s an original. And Cliff kills me every issue. He can tell a joke, he hits the action. He nails the drama. Look at the facial expressions, the body language. These guys are acting. And everybody looks sexy as hell. That’s never a bad thing. He’s a killer. I love what Cliff is doing.

You were originally supposed to write Batman & the Outsiders, not Chuck Dixon. What happened?

I decided to do Titans! I can only juggle so many books. We were talking about the relaunch and [DC’s VP/Editoral] Dan [DiDio] and I started talking about bringing back the original team. The more I thought about it, the more story I could see. It just got to me. So, one title had to go, and it was a good time to hop off. I miss Outsiders, and I miss what we would have done with Bats at the helm. But there’s only so much stock for the soup until it tastes like water.

Working on Titans, are you intimidated by the Marv Wolfman/George Pérez stuff?

Yes it’s intimidating, and I get past it with how I usually get over my fears. Medication, alcohol, crying jags! I’m kidding. I try real hard to tell a good story, and we let the chips fall. I see this as honoring the characters I love.

Will there be any nods to their run in your book?

It’s all nods. But just wait for the swimming pool scene.

From what we’re hearing Aqualad/Tempest will not be featured in the book. Why not?

I’m gonna take the fifth on Tempest. Sometimes silence says more. Capice?

Who would be your dream character to write?

DC comics-wise, I’ve done them all. But I suppose getting a longer term crack at Superman is something I’d love to do. And I will say that I miss Exiles. I love that book.

All-time favorite character?

Well, I love most of the folks I get to write about. Batman was always the end all, be all. I think as a younger reader, as a kid, I just thought he seemed cool. Then, later as the stories got darker, I was getting older. The evolution of the character was in step with my maturity. And Hulk, growing up there’s never been a character I loved more. I drew him, I wrote my own stories, you name it. It’s characters with a duality that work for me. Characters who are at odds with themselves and maybe the life they’ve chosen or been thrown into. I like the guys who are still in battle.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/040408ucjudd.html

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.