Follow

Judd Winick

Person » Judd Winick is credited in 566 issues.

Judd Winick is a writer and creator of titles such as "Barry Ween, Boy Genius", and the graphic novel, "Pedro and Me". He has also written Outsiders, Exiles, and had a five-year run on Green Arrow.

Don't buy Batman

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zoom

Buy Batman and Robin.  Buy Detective Comics.  Buy Red Robin.  Buy Batman: Streets of Gotham.  Buy Justice League and Outsiders.

Both out of principle and for your own reading enjoyment, do NOT buy Judd Winnick's book. 

He's ruined Green Arrow, Outsiders and Titans.  I didn't have a choice to buy a different book to read about Green Arrow or Cyborg. But you have a choice.  There are six other Batman related books to buy.  Why pay money for a book you know is gonna be crap?

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hawkingbird

Because his previous run on Batman was pretty neat, aside from the "SUPERBOY SMAAAAAAAAAAASH!" bit?

Really, I'm not buying it though, mostly because I don't care for Jason and can't stand Benes art. And he never ruined the Outsiders, he re-invented them, and they were pretty good (according to my friend).

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SUNMAN

I stopped reading Outsiders after Nightwing left the team

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Nighthunter
    Hawkingbird said:
    "Because his previous run on Batman was pretty neat, aside from the "SUPERBOY SMAAAAAAAAAAASH!" bit?Really, I'm not buying it though, mostly because I don't care for Jason and can't stand Benes art. And he never ruined the Outsiders, he re-invented them, and they were pretty good (according to my friend)."
    who said anything about Jason though?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Winick is pretty awesome, and he didn't really ruin them, cross-over story arcs did.

Watch me buy it... 2 copies so I can say one belongs to Zoom

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zoom
    inferiorego said:
    "Winick is pretty awesome"
    Wow.

What I can say?  Its your money.  You want to spend it on bad stories, go for it.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hawkingbird
    Nighthunter said:
    who said anything about Jason though?"
    I'd be surprised if it's not.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Nighthunter
    Hawkingbird said:
    "Nighthunter said:
    who said anything about Jason though?"
    I'd be surprised if it's not."
    I'd be surprised if it is
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Zoom said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "Winick is pretty awesome"
    Wow.What I can say?  Its your money.  You want to spend it on bad stories, go for it."
    How do you know it's going to be a bad story? Winnick is usually pretty awesome, main case in point Exiles. The book isn't out and you're already condemning the storyline... failure sir, failure.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zoom
    inferiorego said:
    "How do you know it's going to be a bad story? Winnick is usually pretty awesome, main case in point Exiles."
    I have a theory to explain that.

Winnick can't write Nightwing, Green Arrow, Arsenal, Black Canary or Connor Hawke worth crap right?
    And Winnick's best book was Exiles, right? (Okay so I didn't read Pedro and Me)
    And the best part about Outsiders were the characters like Shift, Indigo, Grace and Thunder right?
    And the best part about Green Arrow was Constantine Drakon right?

What do all these good things have in common?  Judd Winnick created the characters.  Drakon is never acting totally out of character in Winnick's books because he's only in Winnick's books.  Winnick defines him completely.  Same for Indigo, Mimic, Grace, Morph, Sunfire.

What do all the bad things have in common?  Somebody else wrote the first.  Judd is just completely incapable of taking a character and writing them so they seem like the same character.  He just can't do it.  Heck, if you look at AoA Blink and Exiles Blink, they don't act the same but nobody complains because Blink was only in like 10 issues before Winnick got hold of her.

That leads us to Batman, one of the most established characters in comic book history, complete with a huge list of long time allies and enemies.

So yeah, I do think there's a failure here, but it's not mine.  It's DC's for putting him in charge of an established character and its yours if you actually spend money on this.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hawkingbird

I disagree about him not writing Connor or Roy properly. Aside from the EPIC FAILURE that was GA/BC, he writes fantastic Connor and Roy. One of my favorites comics is the one where they go out for a night on the town =D!

But otherwise, yeah, you're right. Winick generally can't write established characters well.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zoom

Winnick makes Roy and Connor seem cool but they were still nothing like the Roy and Connor that were in the Green Arrow and Titans books before he came along.  They were fine characters, they just weren't the same ones.

Don't even get me started on what Winnick has done to the Titans between Graduation Day and his newer series.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Korg

I'm all over this. I am totally abstaining from buying any Batman-related comics.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Calvin

Don't this thread goes agaisnt more than one of the rules of this site? Lock this up fellows! Lol

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zoom

If it does it should be locked.

*shrug*

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Korg
    Calvin said:
    Don't this thread goes agaisnt more than one of the rules of this site? Lock this up fellows! Lol [more]
    Not that I can think of. Zoom isn't attacking any posters, he's just giving his opinion on Judd Winick's run on Batman. Also: No one likes a back-seat mod.

13) Leave the moderating to the actual Moderators. DO NOT attempt to "put another poster in his/her place."
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Calvin
    Korg said:
    Calvin said: Don't this thread goes agaisnt more than one of the rules of this site? Lock this up fellows! ... [more]
    You got me there master Korg! Very good sir.
    So I'll shut up next time. My problem was the way his opinion was presented, not for the artist fans, more because exorting people not to buy comic books may not be good for the Comicvine's image and even for its relationship with the companies like Marvel and DC in this particular case. Of course he can feel the artist don't work well and tell everybody his opinion.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Korg
    Trust me, the Battle Forum is much worse for Comic Vine's image than any singular post against a particular writer. Never mind the way that Bendis and Loeb are talked about on here. Land also gets slammed pretty hard by 75% of posters. I doubt very much that Judd Winick would take exception to this thread, let alone anyone else from DC or Marvel who might be reading.
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Calvin
    Korg said:
    Trust me, the Battle Forum is much worse for Comic Vine's image than any singular post against a particular writer. ... [more]
    Yeah, lol, I'm crazy... =P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.