Essential Reading

#1 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Which story arcs or books should I read to really see Jubilee develop as a character and/or see her in action?

#2 Posted by Clara Mass (7780 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm not sure where she developed as Jubes but I liked her in the New Warriors run. (If that helps idk? lol)

#3 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass:  Thanks :) I will try to check her out as Wondra in New Warriors. But I'm really interested in her as Jubilee.
#4 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I can remember...She was really intrumental in Gen X...

#5 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight:  For the whole run?
#6 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so..yeah..XD

#7 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, thanks :)

#8 Posted by Tainted-Cell (299 posts) - - Show Bio

She had an important role in the Phalanx Covenant.
Most of her non-Generation X appearances, however, are spent as Wolverine's sidekick, and it's in those issues of Wolverine that she really develops, particularly #72-74.

#9 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tainted-Cell:  Thank you! I'll have to see if I can find these issues.
#10 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio

What has spawned this interest in the Asian Awesomeness

#11 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" From what I can remember...She was really intrumental in Gen X... "
@Nobody said:
" @Slight:  For the whole run? "
While Gen X shared the spotlight evenly on the entire cast (Monet's family/history does eat up about the first 20 issues), Jubilee is only there making quips and fireworks. If you're picking that up to see growth in her, you may be a tad disappointed, but she is seen often. Plus the entire cast is so enjoyable it doesn't really matter, haha.
Moderator
#12 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Slight said:
" From what I can remember...She was really intrumental in Gen X... "
@Nobody said:
" @Slight:  For the whole run? "
While Gen X shared the spotlight evenly on the entire cast (Monet's family/history does eat up about the first 20 issues), Jubilee is only there making quips and fireworks. If you're picking that up to see growth in her, you may be a tad disappointed, but she is seen often. Plus the entire cast is so enjoyable it doesn't really matter, haha. "
What does anyone want to see from Jubes...Fireworks and quips...But...I think she did have a good experience for character development while on Gen X...
 
Also...try her in Age of Apocolypse...I've not read it...but I hear she was bad ass
 
Also...Phalanx Covenant.
#13 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" What has spawned this interest in the Asian Awesomeness "
She's just a character I've been interested in seeing more of, but only reading about her in brief cameos.
 
@pixelized: Do you have a suggestion for her character growth?
#14 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight: Well, when I hear someone ask for issues with "Development" I'm thinking they want significant character moments, not the day to day stuff that can be found anywhere. Maybe that's just me though...
Moderator
#15 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: Well...you won't get much more than that...If you ask any Jubes fan, they will tell you that she was painfully underused. Everyone can agree that she was never used to her full potential...As for character development...when she lost her powers, she became Wondra, but alas...the New Warriors were canceled, so that that...
#16 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" @Nobody: Well...you won't get much more than that...If you ask any Jubes fan, they will tell you that she was painfully underused. Everyone can agree that she was never used to her full potential...As for character development...when she lost her powers, she became Wondra, but alas...the New Warriors were canceled, so that that... "
That's disappointing.
#17 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Slight said:
" What has spawned this interest in the Asian Awesomeness "
She's just a character I've been interested in seeing more of, but only reading about her in brief cameos.
 
@pixelized: Do you have a suggestion for her character growth? "
I wish, but all I've read of Jubilee was the stuff that's in the way while trying to read about Monet <3, sorry Charlie
Moderator
#18 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: it's not just you...I've always wanted Jubes to be used in a more efficient, and character developing way...But she never was...(maybe now that she's a vampy...she'll be used correctly)
#19 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized:  Gotcha
#20 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight: I want to say since being depowered and her time with the New Warriors there should be plenty of that there, but I've never read it so I can't say for sure.
Moderator
#21 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Slight said:
" @Nobody: Well...you won't get much more than that...If you ask any Jubes fan, they will tell you that she was painfully underused. Everyone can agree that she was never used to her full potential...As for character development...when she lost her powers, she became Wondra, but alas...the New Warriors were canceled, so that that... "
That's disappointing. "
truly sir...it is...She could have been such a great character...but I guess because Psylocke was already quasi-asian...they left jubes to be a backup character...
#22 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Slight: I want to say since being depowered and her time with the New Warriors there should be plenty of that there, but I've never read it so I can't say for sure. "
It's true...When she was Wondra...she dropped her playful ways to become a more fierce leader...But...the series got canceled so what could have been done..wasn't
#23 Edited by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: Her travels with Wolverine and Psylocke, that's awesome!
#24 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Baddamdog said:
" @Nobody: Her travels with Wolverine and Psylocke, that's awesome! "
but she was a support character...I'm sure he was looking for something where she more of a leading wrole
#25 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" @Baddamdog said:
" @Nobody: Her travels with Wolverine and Psylocke, that's awesome! "
but she was a support character...I'm sure he was looking for something where she more of a leading wrole "
Yeah, I'm looking for a comic series or story arc where she really shines.
#26 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Slight said:
" @Baddamdog said:
" @Nobody: Her travels with Wolverine and Psylocke, that's awesome! "
but she was a support character...I'm sure he was looking for something where she more of a leading wrole "
Yeah, I'm looking for a comic series or story arc where she really shines. "
Everything that's been suggested...Phalanx Covenant, Generation X, Age of Apocalypse, and New Warriors...is pretty much what you might like...but that's about it...in everything elase...she's a support character
#27 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight: @Nobody: Ermm not really, she's one of three main characters, it's probably where she got the most 'mainstream' exposure in Uncanny. In fact maybe get her appearances where she meets and saves Wolverine from being killed, that's a pretty character defining moment.
#28 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Baddamdog said:
" @Slight: @Nobody: Ermm not really, she's one of three main characters, it's probably where she got the most 'mainstream' exposure in Uncanny. In fact maybe get her appearances where she meets and saves Wolverine from being killed, that's a pretty character defining moment. "
Not so...It's widely accepted that she was a support character...She's known as his sidekick...just because she was one of the main characters...doesn't mean that she was not a support character
#29 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch the 90's x-men cartoon ^_^

#30 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slight said:
" @Nobody said:
" @Slight said:
" @Baddamdog said:
" @Nobody: Her travels with Wolverine and Psylocke, that's awesome! "
but she was a support character...I'm sure he was looking for something where she more of a leading wrole "
Yeah, I'm looking for a comic series or story arc where she really shines. "
Everything that's been suggested...Phalanx Covenant, Generation X, Age of Apocalypse, and New Warriors...is pretty much what you might like...but that's about it...in everything elase...she's a support character "
What about her mini series? Is it worth picking up?
#31 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Slight said:
" @Nobody said:
" @Slight said:
" @Baddamdog said:
" @Nobody: Her travels with Wolverine and Psylocke, that's awesome! "
but she was a support character...I'm sure he was looking for something where she more of a leading wrole "
Yeah, I'm looking for a comic series or story arc where she really shines. "
Everything that's been suggested...Phalanx Covenant, Generation X, Age of Apocalypse, and New Warriors...is pretty much what you might like...but that's about it...in everything elase...she's a support character "
What about her mini series? Is it worth picking up? "
Not even a little bit...
#32 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Watch the 90's x-men cartoon ^_^ "
Now that, I have done :)
#33 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: That cartoon got me into comics lol, and i loved Jubilee in that show.
#34 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" @Nobody: That cartoon got me into comics lol, and i loved Jubilee in that show. "
Spider-Man's 90's cartoon got me hooked. But Spider-Man and X-Men from the 90's go hand in hand.
#35 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: I would watch those two cartoons religiously back in the day lol
#36 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" @Nobody: I would watch those two cartoons religiously back in the day lol "
Every morning before school it was Spider-Man and then Bobby's World lol
#37 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: I think Bobby's world might be before my time lol
#38 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a shame

#39 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" @Nobody: I think Bobby's world might be before my time lol "
No its not...I watched it growing up...We're only like a year apart...in age (if I'm correct)...And 90's X-Men, and Spiderman are epic legendary shows....I still know the theme songs from both...and if I here them...I dance...
#40 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: I've seen one episode of it though, and i would watch that woody woodpecker show ^_^
#41 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" @Nobody: I've seen one episode of it though, and i would watch that woody woodpecker show ^_^ "
Gasp...MEMORIES
#42 Posted by Intensity (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine Origins #6-10- works at a half-way house for de-powered mutants, kidnapped by Omega Red, rescued by Wolverine and S.H.I.E.L.D.
New Warriors volume 4 #1- 1 Appearance as WondraI wrote the biography for Jubilee (Wondra) on Newwarriors.net a few years ago... in it, I also had a page that listed some of her more prominent appearances and the reasons for them: 
 
Important Appearances:
Uncanny X-Men #244-  1 Appearance (1989)
Uncanny X-Men #251- finds and rescues Wolverine from the Reaver’s and Lady Deathstrike.
Uncanny X-Men #257-258- fights the Mandarin with Wolverine and Psylocke in Madripoor, blows up Mandarin’s mansion with powers
Uncanny X-Men #273- officially joins the X-Men
Wolverine #40- begins following Logan as his sidekick and surrogate daughter
Wolverine #72-74- learns the real story of her parent’s death, battles Sentinels with Wolverine in the Reaver’s base, defeats her parent’s assassins.
X-Men #4-5- joins the X-Men’s Blue Team
Uncanny X-Men #297- bonds with Professor Xavier
Uncanny X-Men #303- mourns the death of Illyana Rasputin
Wolverine #75- Wolverine loses his adamantium, leaves Jubilee and X-Men
Uncanny X-Men #311- fights alongside Bishop and defeats Sabertooth
Uncanny X-Men #318- Jubilee leaves the X-Men
Generation X #1- joins Generation X
Generation X #24- flash-back to her first power usage
Generation X #25-31- Captured by Bastion during Operation: Zero Tolerance- played a pivotal role in the whole storyline
Generation X 5 Anniversary- Defeats Emplate with massive power explosion
Generation X Annual ‘99- sends the true killer of her parents to justice

Generation X #75- Generation X disbands
X-Men Unlimited volume 1 #34- works in LA as a part-time actress
Uncanny X-Men #403-406- joins Banshee’s X-Corps, fights Blob, saves Banshee’s life
Uncanny X-Men #423- Crucified on Xavier’s front lawn by Church of Humanity, brought back to life by Angel (Warren Worthington,) re-joins X-Men
Jubilee #1-6- Moves to LA with Aunt Hope, goes to High School, Fights gang, gets a job as a peer advisor
Decimation: House Of M- The Day After- loses powers
Wolverine Origins #6-10- works at a half-way house for de-powered mutants, kidnapped by Omega Red, rescued by Wolverine and S.H.I.E.L.D.
New Warriors volume 4 #1- 1 Appearance as Wondra
New Warriors volume 4 #3- Confronts Sofia, confirmed as Wondra
New Warriors volume 4 #4- Revealed to be New Warriors field leader    New Warriors volume 4 #3- Confronts Sofia, confirmed as Wondra
New Warriors volume 4 #4- Revealed to be New Warriors field leader     
----------------------------------- 
 I'd definately recommend any of the issues in BOLD, as they really feature Jubilee at her best... either dialogue/emotional, powers, or fight scenes. 
 
Also:  
Uncanny X-Men #354- X-Men VS. Sauron. Jubilee defeats Sauron and saves her teammates (Wolverine, Iceman, Cannonball, Storm, Beast, Maggot.) 
Generation X #12-14- The Return of Emplate and Jubilee's Top Ten Reasons Why Emplate is a Loser.... must read!
#43 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19243 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, It's a little early to tell, but she seems to be a key character in the X Men Story Arc, Curse of the Mutants...So you might want to pick that one up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.