Confused about Jubilee and Boom Boom

#1 Edited by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read much about these characters in the comics (I have them stocked to read though so in due time). All I've ever seen them in are the animated shows (Jubilee being in the original 90's X-Men cartoon while Boom Boom was first introduced to me in X-Men: Evolution).

Anyways, I've always wondered: Don't these 2 have the same powers? I always see them both create colourful blasts that seem like fireworks.

#2 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18847 posts) - - Show Bio

no, there powers are completely diff.

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Boom Boom makes timed bombs, Jubilee is more of the fireworks... at least she was until she was depowered.

#4 Posted by Speedfreak (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, what they said.

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

They are similar, but not the same.  They both work on the principle of creating plasma out of their hands, but that's where the similarity ends. 

Like Pix said, Boom Boom has time-bombs, but she's matured to using a greater range for her powers that's more powerful (and destructive).  Jubilee's were fireworks that (depending on the artist) looked like different shapes and colours, while Boom Boom's time-bombs used to be just spherical. 

Boom Boom acknowledged how Jubilee's powers were virtually the same when she had been de-powered on Genosha... which was very frustrating for her.

#6 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Rictor <3 

Honestly i thought at first he was thinking of Alison Blaire and Jubilation instead of Tabs and Jubes.
#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the expressions on their faces.  it's priceless :)

Most people think of Jubilee first, since she's had more media coverage (she was the star of X-Men: TAS ;) but Boom-Boom came first... at least 2 or 3 years before Jubilee made her debut.

#8 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but Boom Boom's first appearance was in Secret Wars 2, which was a terrible book! 

I didn't mean to dismiss Boom Boom. Just say that...in my opinion...Jubilee evolved into a more distinct character. Boom Boom never seemed to grow as a person. Though, to be honest...I haven't read much about her since 1993 or so. ;>)

Still...Jubilee always had the more interesting history to me...

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Personality wise they were both bratty, street wise and covered their self-doubts with a gregarious facade.  The difference was Jubilee entered into a main X-Men title, while Boom-Boom was in tie-in books.  Boom-Boom has had wider exposure to the Marvel Universe since she has appeared in more than just X-Men.  So if you think Jubilee's history is more interesting then it's because you only read the main X-Men titles. 

That isn't 'interesting', that's favouritism based on a limited knowledge.

#10 Posted by Dupe (1581 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: I like her too, but I would not dare to say anything negative about Boom Boom while you're around :p
#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dupe: LOL... Nor about Emma Frost while Pix is around ;)
#12 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" I love the expressions on their faces.  it's priceless :)Most people think of Jubilee first, since she's had more media coverage (she was the star of X-Men: TAS ;) but Boom-Boom came first... at least 2 or 3 years before Jubilee made her debut. "
the art is amazing!

I know!! I told someone that a while back on here because they said Tab was the ripoff ]=

#13 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
X-Force #19
I like this version of  Boom Boom.
#14 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

worst costume ever

#15 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: 
#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" worst costume ever "
I quite liked the old pink & yellow star-burst over the breasts.  Far far better than the pink waistcoat & pink leotard she wore when X-Force first started.

#17 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
Feral , Domino , and Boom Boom
#18 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cezar_TheScribe said:
" @pixelized:  "
shut up i love boom boom.

@xerox-kitty said:
" @pixelized said:
" worst costume ever "
I quite liked the old pink & yellow star-burst over the breasts.  Far far better than the pink waistcoat & pink leotard she wore when X-Force first started.

"
I loved the pink leotard with the red ankle shoes. lol. It was just the hair.
#19 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: You be quiet.
#20 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

"quiet"

#21 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized:  That too. I am just waking up from a nap.
#22 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cezar_TheScribe said:
"Feral , Domino , and Boom Boom
"
Love how Domino could not possibily be standing in a more uncomfortable position.

@xerox-kitty
said:
"So if you think Jubilee's history is more interesting then it's because you only read the main X-Men titles."
Or because you recognize that Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont are better writers than Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefield....

#23 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cezar_TheScribe said:
" @pixelized: You be quiet. "
Stop trying to wind people up.  And for the love of God, please stop using those stupid smilies.

@Zoom said:
"Or because you recognize that Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont are better writers than Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefield.... "
Except Nicieza & Liefeld didn't create Boom-Boom.  They were merely caretakers during the steroid pumped 90's.  
#24 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't say they created her.  They defined her...until Warren Ellis redefined her and Marvel pretty much ignored it.

#25 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's true that for the first 40+ issues of X-Force she was pretty much ignored.  Jeph Loeb wasn't big on continuity, but he did make huge attempts to flesh out her character a bit more from the mallrat she'd been in X-Factor & New Mutants.

While Boom-Boom was spiralling downwards and more powerfully into Meltdown, Jubilee was downgraded.  Her powers suddenly became weak in an excuse to stick her in Generation X.  They then made her into a cry-baby scaredy cat, despite all the villains & life-threatening situations she'd faced.

Both characters were pretty much shafted by inconsistent creative teams.  
#26 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

No arguement there.  :(

#27 Posted by Creshosk (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"They are similar, but not the same.  They both work on the principle of creating plasma out of their hands, but that's where the similarity ends. 

Like Pix said, Boom Boom has time-bombs, but she's matured to using a greater range for her powers that's more powerful (and destructive).  Jubilee's were fireworks that (depending on the artist) looked like different shapes and colours, while Boom Boom's time-bombs used to be just spherical. 

Boom Boom acknowledged how Jubilee's powers were virtually the same when she had been de-powered on Genosha... which was very frustrating for her.

"

Yeah, but she seems to have accepted it. They do have the ability to get along, despite their similarities.
#28 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

On second thought, maybe neither of these characters were worthwhile.
#29 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate that they shared a lesbian haircut

#30 Posted by Creshosk (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
"On second thought, maybe neither of these characters were worthwhile. "

Because of one brief throw away cameo?
#31 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
"i hate that they shared a lesbian haircut "
Terry & Rachel Dodson in the mid-90's... about 15 years later and they still draw the same, they just have better digital colorists to make them look good :p   

I hated that issue of X-Force; bad art & no story.
#32 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Boom Boom is better than Jubes, especially in Nextwave, which was hilarious.

Jubilee is boring, and the only time I found her interesting was in the AoA, where they seemed to actually develop her character and her powers

#33 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that Jubilee was boring.  But I do think it's sad that writers thought she would be more interesting if she didn't have any powers.  And she really was ignored for a long time, considering that she was in Generation X for so many years to learn to control her powers (which she already had control of) and never really showed any signs of improvement.  During the Phalanx Covenent it was mentioned that she would have the ability to detonate things on an atomic level... but ultimately they never really let her progress beyond sparkling fireworks.  Such a shame.

#34 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

It reminded me of the same thing that writers do with Rogue, thinking she will be interesting if she isnt confident in the use of her powers and leads to her being insecure about a number of other things. I did like that the members of Gen. X use to get annoyed because she always mentioned how she did things with the X-Men lol

#35 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @pixelized said:
"i hate that they shared a lesbian haircut "
Terry & Rachel Dodson in the mid-90's... about 15 years later and they still draw the same, they just have better digital colorists to make them look good :p    I hated that issue of X-Force; bad art & no story. "
Lol i was looking over some of my Gen X stuff and other than some more definition in the body shapes, they haven't changed at all.  

@Lifeguard85 said:
"  Boom Boom is better than Jubes, especially in Nextwave, which was hilarious.   Jubilee is boring, and the only time I found her interesting was in the AoA, where they seemed to actually develop her character and her powers "
Nextwave made all those mundane characters interesting. I love Boom Boom but she wasn't really defined/given a personality as a character until YEARS after her introduction.  

Jubes on the other hand was always pure spunk.
#36 Posted by MeganWayne (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Jubilee is the original. Although Boom Boom is a love of mine Jubilee's powers would make Boom Boom look like a play toy. 

#37 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@MeganWayne said:
" Jubilee is the original. Although Boom Boom is a love of mine Jubilee's powers would make Boom Boom look like a play toy.  "
Boom Boom was created 5 years prior to Jubilee
#38 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@MeganWayne said:

"Jubilee is the original. Although Boom Boom is a love of mine Jubilee's powers would make Boom Boom look like a play toy.  "

Jubilee.  First appearance, Uncanny X-Men #244; May 1989.   

Boom-Boom.  First appearance, Secret Wars II #5; November 1985
#39 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

oooooops, 4 years

#40 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: LOL!  4 and a half... so you were close :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.