razzatazz's Journey into Mystery #627 - So The Devil Walks Into A Bar... review

The name that others call you

This issue takes an interesting though at times bizarre approach at explaining a lot of the background dealings involved with Fear Itself.  It is told from the vantage point of Mephisto who fills in here for the lead of the series (Loki) by narrating the events and referring to the lead character only in passing.  The story is mostly told in flashbacks as Mephisto is confiding in a bartender (this is after the first page which break the fourth wall) and tells of the underworld's and various pantheons' preparations and reactions to the impending removal on mankind from the face of the planet.  It uses this novel approach usually to its advantage, adding in some clever dialogue and pitting Mephisto into meetings with some unlikely beings.  It accomplishes what it was designed to do, but unfortunately as Fear itself has not been particularly engaging, nor so has this issue.  It suffers not because of itself, rather by association and leaves me only hoping something similar can be done with a better story in mind.

Posted by IncredibleMSJ

I thought this was an awesome issue. It was pretty enlightening to me because ive always been a little confused on the "whose boss of hell" thing. It said something about satan's empty throne. Was that ever filled? Was there ever a legit supreme ruler of marvel hell?

Posted by jloneblackheart

Asteroth and Blackheart were in this?

Moderator
Posted by RazzaTazz
@jloneblackheart: I don't remember them being there so if they were their role was small.

Other reviews for Journey into Mystery #627 - So The Devil Walks Into A Bar...

The Best This Series Has Offered In A While 0

This is, by far, the best issue since the beginning of this Loki focused storyline. No, it doesn't have much to do with the primary plot of what is going on until the last few pages. But we see some really great character development here, something that's been lacking within a series that's supposed to be developing Loki. Not to mention, Gillan makes me actually like Mephisto as a character and now care about the events involving him, something that I was hard-pressed to do otherwise.This issue...