Which one of Joss Whedon's work in Marvel do you like best?

#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Both, but they both suffered the same problem: Not once did I ever find the good guys in any actual danger.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12977 posts) - - Show Bio

I sometimes feel like the OP kind of likes Joss Whedon......

#4 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I love Astonishing X-Men, but good X-Men runs have been done before. What he did with The Avengers was practically unprecedented. Making a movie with one superhero has been hard enough historically, but to make one with an entire team had never really been done, and if it had it certainly wasn't that good.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12977 posts) - - Show Bio
@spinningbirdcake said:

Man I love Astonishing X-Men, but good X-Men runs have been done before. What he did with The Avengers was practically unprecedented. Making a movie with one superhero has been hard enough historically, but to make one with an entire team had never really been done, and if it had it certainly wasn't that good.

X-men 2 was really good. So was First Class. Perhaps it didn't appease the fanboys but overall the films were very well made.
#6 Posted by Ult_hydrabob (257 posts) - - Show Bio

Astonishing X-Men. I really thought he represented the characters very well and expanded the X-Men area. I couldn't put it down and read the whole run in about 2 days.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally chose both since I liked both of them for different reasons. Joss Whedon really knew how to make the characters remain faithful to their original personalities and yet do new things with them. I loved the Avengers movie because it was so fun to watch and the action was very well done. I also loved Astonishing X-Men since it was my first introduction into the X-Men comics and the story was just so brilliantly told!

#8 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Oh yeah the X-Men movies were great. I guess I didn't think of them as team movies because we hardly ever see them all being X-Men in the same action sequences. It's usually one or two here, one or two later on in the film. There's no battle like the last one in Avengers, because that's when it really started to click that they were "The Avengers" in the movie.

#9 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

I agree that there has been some really good X-Men runs before Whedon's (Chris Claremont's and Grant Morrison's runs). The Avengers was unique to me because like you mentioned, it's rare that there was a really good superhero movie where the whole team had a focus on (even though the X-Men movies were pretty good).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.