Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' Canceled!

• 62 results
Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio

Fox pulls the plug!

Looks like Eliza Dushku had better start looking for a new job! Despite the bump in ratings that the Fox television series received thanks to DVR, Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' will not be picked up for a third season according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter. According to the report, 'Dollhouse' will complete shooting through to the thirteenth episode, but it remains unclear whether or not remaining episodes will air starting December 4th as originally planned. Perhaps a smaller network will pick up the series, which has a remarkably loyal cult following?

Are you a fan of the show? Are you disappointed that the show has been canceled?
#1 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19148 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Posted by geektrooper (4 posts) - - Show Bio

If it was canceled in season 1, I would be sad. Season 2 has been pretty crappy.

#3 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19148 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more upset that another show of his on Fox got canceled, it's giving me flashbacks of Firefly

#4 Posted by iLLituracy (13546 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"
Hey, man...hey...it's not your fault.

Sadly, I've never seen this show, thus, I cannot say that I'm disappointed.
#5 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (26668 posts) - - Show Bio
" I'm more upset that another show of his on Fox got canceled, it's giving me flashbacks of Firefly "
"

"
he said it all, Joss trusted them and they did it too him again
#6 Posted by danhimself (21248 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched the first couple episodes and got bored with it...so no I'm not upset

#7 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3612 posts) - - Show Bio

Disappointed? No. I didn't even know the show existed until just now.

Poor Eliza Dushku. She's attractive, but really doesn't get very good parts. Though, it is really unfortunate yet another scripted series gets tossed aside for yet another crappy reality TV series that just perpetuates all the the worst aspects of the human condition. The only reality TV show I like is Mysthbusters.

At the very least, they are filming the finale. They way the people who enjoyed the show can buy them on DVD. It's not as bad as getting no end at all.

#8 Posted by welshguy (201 posts) - - Show Bio

In the interest of providing a fair and balanced point of view regarding this show's demise...  

Hah. take that Joss Whedon. 

I appreciate the man has his fans, but the man does not do it for me. Dollhouse felt tacky. A little sleazy. Don't go insane Joss-fans, please. I don't need irate joss-fans threatening to hunt me down... again

#9 Posted by Bobby Drake (4 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a slow start for me, but it was Joss Wheadon so I stuck through it and its' become sort of a traditional viewing me and my girlfriend have. Dollhouse sort of grew on ya. I like the character Topher, and I'm always curious what happens with him next, and the character Paul has gotten a ton more interesting, as well as who knows what Alpha is going to do next? Needless to say Fox can shove it, for the third time. First it was Firefly, then David Greenwalts Driver with Nathan Fillion, now Dollhouse! And the fact that he said he trusted them, its just sad he got the shaft yet again, especially considering the ratings had gone up. Fool him once shame on you, fool him twice-- Well, now you're going to have a riot.

#10 Posted by Sovereign Son (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

SOnova B!TCH

#11 Posted by Archetype (726 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably foe the best...maybe Joss will finally realize that FOX is not where his shows belong maybe not even television at all but certainly not FOX.

New ideas Mr.Whedon formulate a new show a better show on a better network.You can do it Mr.Whedon I've faith in you.

#12 Edited by TheBug (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't no Buffy thats for sure.
#13 Posted by PrinceIMC (5505 posts) - - Show Bio

Unforunate but not unexpected. I thought it was a decent show but I probably would never call it great so I can't be too surprised that it got canceled. I'd buy it on DVD though and keep it next to Firefly, Buffy and Angel on my shelf.

#14 Edited by Pania (1779 posts) - - Show Bio

I have not seen season two yet, so I can't comment on that. And I watched season one in DVD format, so there wasn't too much time for me to get bored.

It was kind of unusual for a Joss Whedon show, because usually with Whedon it is the character that draw you in, but with Dollhouse by necessity it was the plot. Once I got into the plot, then I came to love the characters.

I personally think that Topher should be named among the Geek Gods of the new millennium: "slightly amoral genius".   

Actually in that final episode of season one, Topher comes across as a lady MacBeth character, who was not as amoral as she thought she was.

But you can tell that Whedon expected this to get canceled after season one, the way he whipped through things. The premise was very imaginative, but the big issues about identity, like what makes a person: memories or is there a "soul" at the core that makes a person who they are, were never examined properly.  And the the final episode of season one...where was he supposed to go from there?

So, not surprising. I will wait to see season two to know if I should be disappointed or not.

#15 Posted by pixelized (49086 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally.

#16 Posted by ClockworkDrago (108 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasnt that bad of a show, the concept was cool but how it was all put together was mostly hit and miss especially with the main character. Better luck next time Mr. Whedon

#17 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio

cancel this and work on continuing firefly. kthx

#18 Posted by Toastalchemist (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I hated the show. 

#19 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (267 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, the news was inevitable after it got pulled from November sweeps. At least it got a 2nd season, and a chance to tie up the story unlike Firefly (well, we didn't know Serenity would happen at the time).

#20 Posted by jakob187 (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

Another bad Joss Whedon show in the drain.  Maybe networks will learn their lessons this time around. 

Plus...Fox ALWAYS cancels his shows.  Why would he keep going back to them?!

#21 Posted by Magick (440 posts) - - Show Bio

FOX MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 Posted by Mbecks14 (2114 posts) - - Show Bio

aw man! i really liked this show. i think it had potential and it just wasnt using it. i'm disappointed. but alas, not surprised.

#23 Posted by AngelFrost (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen the second season yet, I haven't been around to watching it.

But I think it is a great show, with a unique premise. But it would have been better as a short, single-season miniseries. As the stories get more repetative after a while.

oh well :(
I'm sure Eliza will get more work, she's amazingg.

#24 Posted by xerox_kitty (17338 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of Dollhouse, but I prefer Gunslinger Girl.   

Going by fan reactions are the show has been aired, then I was more surprised that it was picked up for a second series.  It's a same, because I like Eliza Dushku, but I'm sure she'll find new work :)

#25 Posted by MrCipher (277 posts) - - Show Bio

I get the feeling that Fox has something against Joss Whedon. First Firefly, now this. It was a strange series of events: first I heard they were getting budget cuts, then Whedon signed on Summer Glau and Alexis Denisof, and then like a few weeks later all of a sudden - Fox drops them. 
Seems kind of fishy to me.  

Does anyone have any insight into all of this craziness?
#26 Posted by csimon (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#27 Edited by pentagram (319 posts) - - Show Bio
@Archetype said:

" Probably foe the best...maybe Joss will finally realize that FOX is not where his shows belong maybe not even television at all but certainly not FOX.  New ideas Mr.Whedon formulate a new show a better show on a better network.You can do it Mr.Whedon I've faith in you. "

cbs anybody or abc maybe
#28 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Not suprised.

#29 Posted by frogger (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBug: It wasn't no Buffy thats for sure.

Yeah this show wasnt corny like buffy. Dollhoues had an original plot something you don't see the entertainment industry very often.

#30 Posted by your_navigator (62 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have watched it more regularly if it wasn't on Friday night.  It had potential and I liked nearly all of the characters in there own way, except, coincidently, Eliza's character.  Was I the only one, who just couldn't get behind her cause?  I felt nearly every scene with either Topher or Whiskey (Hell, even Millie!) was more compelling then any of the scenes with Echo. 

Anyone else feel that way, or was it just me?

#31 Posted by EisforExtinction (2014 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" I'm more upset that another show of his on Fox got canceled, it's giving me flashbacks of Firefly "
"

"
he said it all, Joss trusted them and they did it too him again "
Fox is a business. If Dollhouse wasn't selling ads then they have every right to cancel it. They aren't running a charity.
Joss Whedon needs to find a better business model because he doesn't seem to be viable in his current space. Maybe direct to DVD shows or a movie series on iTunes...?
#32 Posted by Mbecks14 (2114 posts) - - Show Bio
@your_navigator said:
" I would have watched it more regularly if it wasn't on Friday night.  It had potential and I liked nearly all of the characters in there own way, except, coincidently, Eliza's character.  Was I the only one, who just couldn't get behind her cause?  I felt nearly every scene with either Topher or Whiskey (Hell, even Millie!) was more compelling then any of the scenes with Echo.  Anyone else feel that way, or was it just me? "
agreed 100%!!
im busy on Fridays. and i havent had time to catch up on all of the episodes online yet.
#33 Posted by Ikkybooger (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh no! I'd only seen a couple of episodes of this but always wanted to get into it. I'm sad to see it go, and I feel a little guilty that I wasn't watching it. 

And yeah, it's just like Firefly all over again. I'll be sure to pick it up on DVD though.

#34 Posted by cadaver (174 posts) - - Show Bio

fox really does suck in too many ways to put to words. i'm glad I don't watch TV, though I have been following dollhouse since the start on the computer. Joss should just do more web thingys like dr horrible.

#35 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (29677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"

Fox pulls the plug!

Looks like Eliza Dushku had better start looking for a new job! Despite the bump in ratings that the Fox television series received thanks to DVR, Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' will not be picked up for a third season according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter. According to the report, 'Dollhouse' will complete shooting through to the thirteenth episode, but it remains unclear whether or not remaining episodes will air starting December 4th as originally planned. Perhaps a smaller network will pick up the series, which has a remarkably loyal cult following? Are you a fan of the show? Are you disappointed that the show has been canceled? "

o_O Seriously? I really liked that show. God I never get to finish anything I like. At least I still have Doctor Who and Top Gear...
#36 Posted by Joe Venom (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the first season, but this season was jumping around too much for me. I not a fan of  Tahmoh Penikett  character on the show he is getting way too much screen time this season, but  him I like the show I just hope with the episodes they have left they find a way properly end the show and not just let fans wonder whats going to happen next, like with "Invasion" ( I always wished they did a season 2 for that show).

#37 Posted by Vance Astro (89465 posts) - - Show Bio

Good...this show is garbage.I've had it with Whedon and Eliza Dushku.

#38 Posted by CellphoneGirl (19003 posts) - - Show Bio

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :[

#39 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19148 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:
that's just what I said
#40 Posted by Bruce Vain (1833 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that sucks it was a pretty good show and concept.
#41 Posted by The Sadhu (860 posts) - - Show Bio

Never watched an episode...
#42 Posted by NightFang (10788 posts) - - Show Bio

Another great show gone.

#43 Posted by strangeling (216 posts) - - Show Bio
@frogger said:
" Yeah this show wasnt corny like buffy. Dollhoues had an original plot something you don't see the entertainment industry very often.
"
I think I only watched the first six or so episodes, but it didn't really catch my interest. 
It kind of reminded me of the Pretender.
#44 Posted by batwing (6 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not a fan of the show,but my sister is a big fan and she will be really bumped.

#45 Posted by GreenGriffin (72 posts) - - Show Bio

At lease Fringe is still on.

#46 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (26668 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction said:
" @.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"

"
he said it all, Joss trusted them and they did it too him again "
Fox is a business. If Dollhouse wasn't selling ads then they have every right to cancel it. They aren't running a charity. Joss Whedon needs to find a better business model because he doesn't seem to be viable in his current space. Maybe direct to DVD shows or a movie series on iTunes...? "
meow!
#47 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I like this show XD, the first half of season one was produced by fox so it had no plot, but the later episodes have been good, especially the newest one "Belonging." I even got my friends into it but I mean the show never had a chance, first it air on friday night for it's first season, then a bunch of other more established shows moved to that night and split the friday viewers for season 2. And really there are NO advertisements on tv for the show and half my school never even knew joss started another show. But as long as they finsh this season I'll deal lol, but gotta feel bad for Eliza and her shows getting canceled after the second season and lack of work she gets.

#48 Posted by Aronmorales (9724 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, funny, I didn't even watch the show but I could tell that it wasn't gonna be around long.

#49 Edited by ryanwh (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna be honest. The premise has a short fuse, it would have sucked by season 3 anyway. The only way to save the show is to make Siera the lead and even then there are a dozen things I would rather Joss be working on.

#50 Posted by konshu101 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the show was pretty cool. Nothing groundbreaking mind. I'm not suprised it's been cancelled though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.