Follow

Joss Whedon

Person » Joss Whedon is credited in 490 issues.

Writer, director, and television showrunner known for trademark strong female leads and a high fatality rate among his most popular characters. Also known for his writing and directorial roles on the first two Avengers films, he is responsible for the creation of various fictional realities known collectively as The Whedonverse.

Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' Canceled!

• 62 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Fox pulls the plug!

No Caption Provided

Looks like Eliza Dushku had better start looking for a new job! Despite the bump in ratings that the Fox television series received thanks to DVR, Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' will not be picked up for a third season according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter. According to the report, 'Dollhouse' will complete shooting through to the thirteenth episode, but it remains unclear whether or not remaining episodes will air starting December 4th as originally planned. Perhaps a smaller network will pick up the series, which has a remarkably loyal cult following?

Are you a fan of the show? Are you disappointed that the show has been canceled?
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geektrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By geektrooper

If it was canceled in season 1, I would be sad. Season 2 has been pretty crappy.

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more upset that another show of his on Fox got canceled, it's giving me flashbacks of Firefly

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By iLLituracy
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"
    Hey, man...hey...it's not your fault.

Sadly, I've never seen this show, thus, I cannot say that I'm disappointed.
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

" I'm more upset that another show of his on Fox got canceled, it's giving me flashbacks of Firefly "
    "

"
    he said it all, Joss trusted them and they did it too him again
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

I watched the first couple episodes and got bored with it...so no I'm not upset

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Disappointed? No. I didn't even know the show existed until just now.

Poor Eliza Dushku. She's attractive, but really doesn't get very good parts. Though, it is really unfortunate yet another scripted series gets tossed aside for yet another crappy reality TV series that just perpetuates all the the worst aspects of the human condition. The only reality TV show I like is Mysthbusters.

At the very least, they are filming the finale. They way the people who enjoyed the show can buy them on DVD. It's not as bad as getting no end at all.

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By welshguy

In the interest of providing a fair and balanced point of view regarding this show's demise...  

Hah. take that Joss Whedon. 

I appreciate the man has his fans, but the man does not do it for me. Dollhouse felt tacky. A little sleazy. Don't go insane Joss-fans, please. I don't need irate joss-fans threatening to hunt me down... again

Bobby Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bobby Drake

It was a slow start for me, but it was Joss Wheadon so I stuck through it and its' become sort of a traditional viewing me and my girlfriend have. Dollhouse sort of grew on ya. I like the character Topher, and I'm always curious what happens with him next, and the character Paul has gotten a ton more interesting, as well as who knows what Alpha is going to do next? Needless to say Fox can shove it, for the third time. First it was Firefly, then David Greenwalts Driver with Nathan Fillion, now Dollhouse! And the fact that he said he trusted them, its just sad he got the shaft yet again, especially considering the ratings had gone up. Fool him once shame on you, fool him twice-- Well, now you're going to have a riot.

Sovereign Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sovereign Son

SOnova B!TCH

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Archetype

Probably foe the best...maybe Joss will finally realize that FOX is not where his shows belong maybe not even television at all but certainly not FOX.

New ideas Mr.Whedon formulate a new show a better show on a better network.You can do it Mr.Whedon I've faith in you.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TheBug

It wasn't no Buffy thats for sure.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC

Unforunate but not unexpected. I thought it was a decent show but I probably would never call it great so I can't be too surprised that it got canceled. I'd buy it on DVD though and keep it next to Firefly, Buffy and Angel on my shelf.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Pania

I have not seen season two yet, so I can't comment on that. And I watched season one in DVD format, so there wasn't too much time for me to get bored.

It was kind of unusual for a Joss Whedon show, because usually with Whedon it is the character that draw you in, but with Dollhouse by necessity it was the plot. Once I got into the plot, then I came to love the characters.

I personally think that Topher should be named among the Geek Gods of the new millennium: "slightly amoral genius".   

Actually in that final episode of season one, Topher comes across as a lady MacBeth character, who was not as amoral as she thought she was.

But you can tell that Whedon expected this to get canceled after season one, the way he whipped through things. The premise was very imaginative, but the big issues about identity, like what makes a person: memories or is there a "soul" at the core that makes a person who they are, were never examined properly.  And the the final episode of season one...where was he supposed to go from there?

So, not surprising. I will wait to see season two to know if I should be disappointed or not.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pixelized

Finally.

ClockworkDrago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By ClockworkDrago

It wasnt that bad of a show, the concept was cool but how it was all put together was mostly hit and miss especially with the main character. Better luck next time Mr. Whedon

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Om1kron

cancel this and work on continuing firefly. kthx

Toastalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Toastalchemist

Yes, I hated the show. 

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    UnsolvedParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UnsolvedParadox

Unfortunately, the news was inevitable after it got pulled from November sweeps. At least it got a 2nd season, and a chance to tie up the story unlike Firefly (well, we didn't know Serenity would happen at the time).

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20  Edited By jakob187

Another bad Joss Whedon show in the drain.  Maybe networks will learn their lessons this time around. 

Plus...Fox ALWAYS cancels his shows.  Why would he keep going back to them?!

Magick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Magick

FOX MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mbecks14

aw man! i really liked this show. i think it had potential and it just wasnt using it. i'm disappointed. but alas, not surprised.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AngelFrost

I haven't seen the second season yet, I haven't been around to watching it.

But I think it is a great show, with a unique premise. But it would have been better as a short, single-season miniseries. As the stories get more repetative after a while.

oh well :(
    I'm sure Eliza will get more work, she's amazingg.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#24  Edited By xerox_kitty

I like the idea of Dollhouse, but I prefer Gunslinger Girl.   

Going by fan reactions are the show has been aired, then I was more surprised that it was picked up for a second series.  It's a same, because I like Eliza Dushku, but I'm sure she'll find new work :)

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrCipher

I get the feeling that Fox has something against Joss Whedon. First Firefly, now this. It was a strange series of events: first I heard they were getting budget cuts, then Whedon signed on Summer Glau and Alexis Denisof, and then like a few weeks later all of a sudden - Fox drops them. 
    Seems kind of fishy to me.  

Does anyone have any insight into all of this craziness?
    csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By csimon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

pentagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pentagram
    @Archetype said:

" Probably foe the best...maybe Joss will finally realize that FOX is not where his shows belong maybe not even television at all but certainly not FOX.  New ideas Mr.Whedon formulate a new show a better show on a better network.You can do it Mr.Whedon I've faith in you. "

cbs anybody or abc maybe
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Media_Master

Not suprised.

frogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By frogger

@TheBug: It wasn't no Buffy thats for sure.

Yeah this show wasnt corny like buffy. Dollhoues had an original plot something you don't see the entertainment industry very often.

your_navigator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By your_navigator

I would have watched it more regularly if it wasn't on Friday night.  It had potential and I liked nearly all of the characters in there own way, except, coincidently, Eliza's character.  Was I the only one, who just couldn't get behind her cause?  I felt nearly every scene with either Topher or Whiskey (Hell, even Millie!) was more compelling then any of the scenes with Echo. 

Anyone else feel that way, or was it just me?

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#31  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " I'm more upset that another show of his on Fox got canceled, it's giving me flashbacks of Firefly "
    "

"
    he said it all, Joss trusted them and they did it too him again "
    Fox is a business. If Dollhouse wasn't selling ads then they have every right to cancel it. They aren't running a charity.
    Joss Whedon needs to find a better business model because he doesn't seem to be viable in his current space. Maybe direct to DVD shows or a movie series on iTunes...?
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Mbecks14
    @your_navigator said:
    " I would have watched it more regularly if it wasn't on Friday night.  It had potential and I liked nearly all of the characters in there own way, except, coincidently, Eliza's character.  Was I the only one, who just couldn't get behind her cause?  I felt nearly every scene with either Topher or Whiskey (Hell, even Millie!) was more compelling then any of the scenes with Echo.  Anyone else feel that way, or was it just me? "
    agreed 100%!!
    im busy on Fridays. and i havent had time to catch up on all of the episodes online yet.
    Ikkybooger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ikkybooger

Oh no! I'd only seen a couple of episodes of this but always wanted to get into it. I'm sad to see it go, and I feel a little guilty that I wasn't watching it. 

And yeah, it's just like Firefly all over again. I'll be sure to pick it up on DVD though.

cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cadaver

fox really does suck in too many ways to put to words. i'm glad I don't watch TV, though I have been following dollhouse since the start on the computer. Joss should just do more web thingys like dr horrible.

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan
    @Babs said:
    "

Fox pulls the plug!

Looks like Eliza Dushku had better start looking for a new job! Despite the bump in ratings that the Fox television series received thanks to DVR, Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' will not be picked up for a third season according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter. According to the report, 'Dollhouse' will complete shooting through to the thirteenth episode, but it remains unclear whether or not remaining episodes will air starting December 4th as originally planned. Perhaps a smaller network will pick up the series, which has a remarkably loyal cult following? Are you a fan of the show? Are you disappointed that the show has been canceled? "

o_O Seriously? I really liked that show. God I never get to finish anything I like. At least I still have Doctor Who and Top Gear...
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joe Venom

I enjoyed the first season, but this season was jumping around too much for me. I not a fan of  Tahmoh Penikett  character on the show he is getting way too much screen time this season, but  him I like the show I just hope with the episodes they have left they find a way properly end the show and not just let fans wonder whats going to happen next, like with "Invasion" ( I always wished they did a season 2 for that show).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Good...this show is garbage.I've had it with Whedon and Eliza Dushku.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CellphoneGirl

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :[

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:
    that's just what I said
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bruce Vain

Well that sucks it was a pretty good show and concept.
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By The Sadhu

Never watched an episode...
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NightFang3

Another great show gone.

swhorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#43  Edited By swhorl
    @frogger said:
    " Yeah this show wasnt corny like buffy. Dollhoues had an original plot something you don't see the entertainment industry very often.
    "
    I think I only watched the first six or so episodes, but it didn't really catch my interest. 
    It kind of reminded me of the Pretender.
    batwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By batwing

i'm not a fan of the show,but my sister is a big fan and she will be really bumped.

GreenGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GreenGriffin

At lease Fringe is still on.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@EisforExtinction said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "

"
    he said it all, Joss trusted them and they did it too him again "
    Fox is a business. If Dollhouse wasn't selling ads then they have every right to cancel it. They aren't running a charity. Joss Whedon needs to find a better business model because he doesn't seem to be viable in his current space. Maybe direct to DVD shows or a movie series on iTunes...? "
    meow!
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Ok I like this show XD, the first half of season one was produced by fox so it had no plot, but the later episodes have been good, especially the newest one "Belonging." I even got my friends into it but I mean the show never had a chance, first it air on friday night for it's first season, then a bunch of other more established shows moved to that night and split the friday viewers for season 2. And really there are NO advertisements on tv for the show and half my school never even knew joss started another show. But as long as they finsh this season I'll deal lol, but gotta feel bad for Eliza and her shows getting canceled after the second season and lack of work she gets.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aronmorales

Huh, funny, I didn't even watch the show but I could tell that it wasn't gonna be around long.

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwh

I'm gonna be honest. The premise has a short fuse, it would have sucked by season 3 anyway. The only way to save the show is to make Siera the lead and even then there are a dozen things I would rather Joss be working on.

konshu101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By konshu101

I thought the show was pretty cool. Nothing groundbreaking mind. I'm not suprised it's been cancelled though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.