Follow

Joss Whedon

Person » Joss Whedon is credited in 490 issues.

Writer, director, and television showrunner known for trademark strong female leads and a high fatality rate among his most popular characters. Also known for his writing and directorial roles on the first two Avengers films, he is responsible for the creation of various fictional realities known collectively as The Whedonverse.

Joss Whedon May Be Done With Television

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Joss Whedon has put out several shows that have had strong followings.  Yet it seems something has always gotten in the way, namely the networks.  io9 has posted bits from a Rolling Stone interview stating that Whedon may be packing his television bags and sticking to the internet.  Even though "Dollhouse" starring Eliza Dushku just started, there seems to have been problems leading up to its premiere.  Let's not forget the pretty crappy time slot it was given either.

Apparently Whedon has a deal in the works with an unnamed Silicon Valley company in order to create web content.  You can't argue over the success of his recent "Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog."  With that, he knew no one would go for the idea so he put it out on his own.

Is this a good idea?  By putting out content for the internet, Whedon pretty much will have control of what he does.  He can put out more zany/experimental material like Dr. Horrible.  The question remains whether or not there would be enough viewers to make it work.  His hardcore fanbase will flock to it of course.  Would that illiminate those that aren't hardcore Whedon fans?  For now, I guess we can hope that "Dollhouse"s ratings don't drop from last Friday's premiere.
    methias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By methias

As far as viewership goes I don't think switching to the web would hurt him too much. Whedon's stuff doesn't do a very good job grabbing new people. There aren't too many people who have watched Buffy or Angel and could go either way. People either love his stuff or absolutely hate it.

Hidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hidden
    Methias said:
    "As far as viewership goes I don't think switching to the web would hurt him too much. Whedon's stuff doesn't do a very good job grabbing new people. There aren't too many people who have watched Buffy or Angel and could go either way. People either love his stuff or absolutely hate it."

Yeah, i agree i mean i love Joss, its just people are mean and dont take the time to get into things.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

I just read that even though the ratings for the first episode of "Dollhouse" weren't that great, the iTunes sales were.  So at least the show is making some money.  Maybe he's on to something.  Maybe his fans prefer seeing his stuff away from television.  I also think FOX needs to stop trying to push his shows on Friday nights  when the prime audience may not be around to watch it, let alone the fact that Friday nights are pretty packed with other genre programming.

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#4  Edited By TwilightThunder

Hm. My ideal world will be one without Whedon's stuff on tv (or anywhere!). So probably if he's done with television that'll pave the way for upcoming, and hopefully better shows.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Korg

As long as he's putting new content out somewhere I'm happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.