Follow

Joshua Hale Fialkov

Person » Joshua Hale Fialkov is credited in 334 issues.

Writer, musician, screenwriter, and amateur musicologist. Writer of the Harvey Award Nominated Elk’s Run and Top Cow Pilot Season winner for Cyblade. He's also the writer of Tumor, a comic series available for the Amazon Kindle.

Interview: Joshua Hale Fialkov Talks GREEN LANTERN CORPS and RED LANTERNS

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

There are a lot of creative changes headed to the GREEN LANTERN corner of the universe and we can't help but be excited. Joshua Hale Fialkov is not only taking over GREEN LANTERN CORPS but RED LANTERNS as well. The GL titles are currently going through the Wrath of the First Lantern storyline so hopefully our favorite characters will still be around when Josh takes over. We had the chance to ask some questions to try to find out what's coming up.

Comic Vine: Is the mess between the Guardians and the Corps going to be settled before you begin or will that play a role in your first arc?

Joshua Hale Fialkov: Oh, come on, you know I can't answer that. I can say that the results of Geoff and Co.'s run will be felt across these books for years and years to come. They've really created something special that we're lucky enough to walk in the footsteps of.

CV: Do you plan on splitting the storytelling between Guy Gardner and John Stewart? Will other members play big roles?

JHF: I want to focus on the two Corps as whole units, so, we'll get a bit more variety in terms of our leads from issue to issue. I'm especially partial to Kilowog, Stel, and Soranik Natu, so, expect lots from them.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

CV: John Stewart often gets shoved aside in the GL books, he didn't even get a proper 'zero issue origin.' Do you plan to use him more often?

JHF: He's one of my main guys. He's absolutely essential to the story of BOTH books, and, he's got to be one of my favorite GL characters. I think a lot of kids grew up only knowing John as Green Lantern thanks to the cartoons, so, bringing him front and center and really focusing on the rich story of his life is a high priority for me.

CV: Where will the focus of locations be? Is Oa still an option or do you plan on taking the members all over the place?

JHF: I look at Oa and Ysmault (home of the Red Lanterns) as the two 'precinct houses.' It's where everyone ends up at the end of the day, but, not where they actually do their jobs. So, while we spend time on each planet, it'll be more about being out in the world doing what they do.

CV: You mentioned before you really wanted to take both GL CORPS and RED LANTERNS, will we see a strong connection between the titles?

JHF: Oh yeah, this is one story told across two books. Or, more succinctly one story told from two very different points of view. Imagine if there were two police forces with very different methodologies, but very similar goals. They'd constantly be one-upping each other and getting in each others' ways. Then when one of those forces is out to actively destroy the other... Well, you get the idea.

CV: Certain readers have questioned the direction of RED LANTERNS and have remained skeptical over the series, what will you do to win them over?

JHF: I think that'll all be answered in our first issue of GREEN LANTERN CORPS. When people see how the two books fit together, I think we'll grab a lot of people. The Red's are no longer shunted off to the side, they're essential to the story were telling, and I hope people give 'em a chance.

No Caption Provided

CV: The Red Lanterns should be about rage yet they often come across and more vengeful. Where do you draw the line and could stories be told about a bunch of angry Lanterns?

JHF: It's not so much 'rage' as 'outrage' for me. They come off as vengeful, EXCEPT, their vengeance is ACTIVE. Their rings are drawn to people in their moment of despair in a way that allows for intervention rather than just retribution. That's something that Geoff explored in the early version of the characters that I want to get back to.

CV: Will RED LANTERNS stay in their own corner of the universe or do you plan to drop in the occasional guest appearance?

JHF: Nope. Front and center. If you're reading GLC you better be reading RL.

CV: What color Lantern would you be? Sapphire, since you're so full of love?

JHF: I'm sure my editors would say Red, but, I'm probably Green. A willful SOB when I need to be.

Josh's run begins in the June in the #21 issues.

Red_Robin212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Red_Robin212

I'm really looking forward to Fialkov's run.

Red Lanterns under Milligan IMO has been less than stellar.

As for "Corps" I'm going to miss Tomasi but I have faith that Fialkov will do just as good

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

When it was first announced all the GL books would get new creative teams Fialkov was the first person to spring to mind. I've been reading his creator owned stuff for years and felt he was being underutilized at DC.

kingdomenic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kingdomenic

Kinda gonna be pissed if I have to start reading Red Lanterns to understand whats going on in the Corps.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mbecks14
    CV: John Stewart often gets shoved aside in the GL books, he didn't even get a proper 'zero issue origin.' Do you plan to use him more often?
    JHF: He's one of my main guys. He's absolutely essential to the story of BOTH books, and, he's got to be one of my favorite GL characters. I think a lot of kids grew up only knowing John as Green Lantern thanks to the cartoons, so, bringing him front and center and really focusing on the rich story of his life is a high priority for me.

This pleases me :) I've been waiting for John Stewart to get into the limelight forever! I'm still not sold on why we need a Red Lantern book AND a Larfleeze book when John Stewart doesn't have his own title.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

I can't wait for Red Lanterns! I wanted to like it so hard, and now I finally can

CookieVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CookieVonDoom
    I'm especially partial to Kilowog, Stel, and Soranik Natu, so, expect lots from them.

That made my day! :D

hamlet33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By hamlet33

Most likely completely off-topic, but YAY LAIRA'S ALIVE1 yaaaay

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OutlawRenegade

John Stewart gets development and the Red Lanterns actually mean something again? Sold.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aaunderoath

I hope I can read Red Lanterns without GLC .. my bugget won't allow me to read all 4 books

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10  Edited By Outside_85

Hopefully I don't have to read GLC just to get Red Lanterns. :)

Btw, didn't Stel blow himself up as the last of the Alpha Lanterns?

AbsolStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AbsolStrike

*You're

Gosh, Tony.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sethysquare

looking forward to both.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so thats how he looks like.... reminds me of John C. Reily for some reason. Anyways awesome to hear him being utilized, I vampire was awesome

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cagedleo730

@hamlet33 said:

Most likely completely off-topic, but YAY LAIRA'S ALIVE1 yaaaay

That's an old photo. Laira is still dead.

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cagedleo730

@Outside_85 said:

Hopefully I don't have to read GLC just to get Red Lanterns. :)

Btw, didn't Stel blow himself up as the last of the Alpha Lanterns?

Stel was never an Alpha Lantern. He has always been a 100% robot. Can't recall the Alpha who sacrificed himself

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    Ugh, I don't want to read Red Lanterns just to understand GLC, my budget's tight.
    jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jwalser3

@The Stegman said:

Ugh, I don't want to read Red Lanterns just to understand GLC

I can't stand it.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18  Edited By Outside_85

@cagedleo730: Sry, got him mixed up with Varix

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By BlueLantern1995

This sounds exciting can't wait!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dondave

I actually liked Red Lanterns, but I'm excited that Joshua is coming on

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Lvenger

@Mbecks14 said:

This pleases me :) I've been waiting for John Stewart to get into the limelight forever! I'm still not sold on why we need a Red Lantern book AND a Larfleeze book when John Stewart doesn't have his own title.

Me too. So glad DC are hiring a writer that is willing to actually do something with John Stewart rather than shunt him to the side

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmashBrawler

Now this is the interview I wanted to see. Can't wait to see what Fialkov has planned for these two titles.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By millennium

i hope you dont have to read both because red lanterns is broken as fuck thanks to milligan if he wonts to make RL better then make rankor the human red lantern the main character and go from their

zachkastner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zachkastner

Soranik Natu, more John Stewart AND a reason to care about Red Lanterns!? Yessss

(I really hope John gets that sweet goatee he had during Justice League Unlimited, he really should start rocking the shaved head/goatee thing. It's so cool!)

Azjenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azjenco

I never disliked the Red Lantern series as much as most people seemed to. However, each and every time I finished reading the final page, I could never shake the feeling that it could be better. A lot better. What got to me was, I always envisioned the Red Lanterns, especially Atrocitus, as being major bad-asses.

I really cannot wait to get issue 20. I hope it starts going the way I envisioned it to be.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#26  Edited By lostlantern13

Bravo to asking the question about John Stewart getting ignored and bravo to JHF for answering it in a straight manner, as opposed to some stock answer. John's not my favorite GL, but he's got his fan base and has earned his spot in the GL mythos. It often felt like he was ignored because of his mainstream success in the cartoon.

Looking forward to seeing what JHF can do. I don't mind if I have to buy both books to get a complete, full-circle story as long as they're both good stories. I'll give this a shot his way.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DEGRAAF

Yeah its about time they give the Red Lantern title a reason for existing. I tried it out in the beginning and it was just a bunch of fighting for leadership of the corps and stuff. I haven't even heard what they are up to since i last heard they're lantern was shut off or something.

I hope he actually give John the detail and attention he deserves. I would love to see a solo for him. I think he works well off of Kyle or Hal. I just cant stand Guy and think he would have been better to have stayed in the red lantern corps. He could have gone to Yusmat (whatever its called) and end up fighting to be leader of it. I wouldn't even mind if he ended up being Atrocious right hand man with Bleez by his side and the evil cat as his pet (lol i just got a picture of him as Doctor evil stroking the cat in his lap with Bleez sitting on the arm rest of the same chair)

John is such a deep character, willing to make the hard decisions even if he knows he is going to regret them. My favorite scan of him is when he tries to recreate the solar system or whatever that he destroyed and while he has the will power to do it the ring was too limited basically. I wish the ring would have fractured and that could be one of his signature pieces then or just totally broken and him and Sinestro could be the only two to have ever broken their power rings

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By arnoldoaad

Finally one of the best writers in DC gets more books

looking forward to RL and GLC

Mistah_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Mistah_B
    lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By lifeboy

From his interview, it sounds like he will be the final nail in the Red Lantern coffin. I am definatly canceling my subscription to this comic even before I got my first issue.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#31  Edited By lostlantern13

@DEGRAAF: I can't fully explain why, but this is the kind of writing that makes me think John and Simon Baz would work well together. I hope that one of the new GL writers out there wants to tackle this duo.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SmashBrawler

@lifeboy said:

From his interview, it sounds like he will be the final nail in the Red Lantern coffin. I am definatly canceling my subscription to this comic even before I got my first issue.

You serious? Fialkov is the best thing that could happen to this series.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lifeboy

@SmashBrawler: I'm glad you like his ideas and hope you enjoy the comic but as for me, I always envisioned the red lanterns as evil demons from another dmension in space. This guy (although he is talented) seems to be going more mainstream dc. He seems to be making them lanterns In space. that's not very exciting for me.

Why do you like them?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SmashBrawler

@lifeboy: The Red Lanterns have always been just another Lantern corps, right from their very inception. They've never been some kind of space demons, so I have no idea what are you talking about.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lifeboy

@SmashBrawler said:

@lifeboy: The Red Lanterns have always been just another Lantern corps, right from their very inception. They've never been some kind of space demons, so I have no idea what are you talking about.

Wait, what space sector do they come from? Your probably right, otherwise if they were demons they would be red and vomit blood.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SmashBrawler

@lifeboy: Their HQ is in Ysmault, Sector 2814, but their members come from all across the universe, just like any other Lantern Corps. They vomit their blood because the ring replaces their heart and they don't need their blood anymore, or some crap like that. Honestly, I have no idea how their rings work exactly in this area, but they're not demons. They're just aliens that have a red power ring, that's it.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mysoulz

@Mbecks14 said:

Same here.

It's good to see John is getting more focus. Tomasi's treatment with John was awful, especially when he wasn't in the zero issue, which I was very disappointed.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JamDamage

what has this guy written before, because I'm pretty sick of cosmic stories unless they are really good? I want to like the books, but the whole alien thing is getting stale to me.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SmashBrawler
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I sure hope Fialkov delivers for us with RL. Its easy to say that our minds will change with the start of his run, but considering how much I loved I, Vampire, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.