Follow

Joseph Kony

Character » Joseph Kony appears in 2 issues.

Real-life leader of the L.R.A.

Kony 2012, please watch.

• 180 results
    jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By jeanlucpicard

Donate my money to stop this guy? no thanks.

Sorry to say but this guy is just like the others, he's just going to mess with the wrong people and poop he's dead. end of story.

You wanna be all nice? help the hungry and poor, there's been more hungry and people around longer than this guy.

People need to stop with the " i care now" mask when you guys probably never donated a thing in your life.

Feed the hungry, help the poor. Now I am generalizing this it will apply to some or most as i cannot say whether or not someone has helped the less fortunate. I'm just saying in general.

That's my 2 cents, call me a troll I really could care less.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

From my perspective this just seems to be the case the world over, whenever there is a genuine humanitarian crisis or cause the 'major players' never get involved if there is little money to be made from it. Robert Mugabe and all the many problems in Zimbabwe are an example of this, very little to nothing is done by anyone in a position to bring real change because it just isn't worth the hassle, they just be seen to chuck some money at the right causes and hope for the best, while publicly denouncing whatever the situation is. It just becomes very disheartening to see this kind of thing happen can to a large degree make you apathetic to the situation but not to the suffering of the people involved.

Avatar image for curbsideprophet
    CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By CurbsideProphet
    @Kiara_Sullivan: I love you. Do what you do, or what you feel you need to do. I'd help you out, whenever it starts to mean much anything. 

@jeanlucpicard: I think you mean you couldn't care less. But then again, I guess you could care a bit less, since you bothered to come here and do stuff. But it's kind of wrong that you would say people don't care. Yes, that is a generalization, and it may be true for many people, but it may also be untrue for many. Maybe they do. 

Personally, I don't know. Something about it all doesn't  seem entirely right to me. The current government doesn't seem like a 100% solid option either, but I think he should be killed. Yes, someone new will maybe probably do the same, but that person could also be dealt with. What is really needed is action. I'm not saying America should just put other countries over themselves, but then again, I don't like the whole "Fuck them, let them fend for themselves" mentality either. Maybe I'm still living in the past too, but America's been pretty good in the past about killing people we don't like and doing what we want with governments. And it's not like America is really doing what's best for its own poor anyway. But I guess it's not completely the government's fault(still, there is some much needed change. Not just Obama and the democrats change. Big change). 

Meh. I'm done.
    moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By moywar700

SkybornLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By SkybornLord
    @Kiara_Sullivan
    Oh. Man. That sucks. Well, when I'm rich, I'll be sure to give you an endorsement. Assuming I take that path and actually get rich. I'll be the new age Bono, maybe even more.
    Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Raiiyn

@jeanlucpicard said:

Sorry to say but this guy is just like the others, he's just going to mess with the wrong people and poop he's dead. end of story.

You wanna be all nice? help the hungry and poor, there's been more hungry and people around longer than this guy.

People need to stop with the " i care now" mask when you guys probably never donated a thing in your life.

Feed the hungry, help the poor. Now I am generalizing this it will apply to some or most as i cannot say whether or not someone has helped the less fortunate. I'm just saying in general.

So I'm a little confused.. you're saying that people should stop caring because they never cared before? Isn't that what the whole point of this campaign is? Turning people who don't know and don't care into people who do know and do care... you know, the whole 'let's change the world, one step at a time' mentality?

In fact, isn't that the whole point of every campaign? To educate people who know nothing of the problems out there so that instead of being oblivious and uncaring, they want to make a difference?

And yes, I agree. Money should most definitely be donated to help the less fortunate. I like to think of this as a 'gateway charity' though. You know, start with one and the others will follow. If this video and campaign can inspire people to actually learn about whats going on out there, maybe more people will donate to charities or volunteer time to help the less fortunate.

And on another note, just because this guy is 'like all the others', does that mean we should do nothing to get rid of him? No, no it doesn't. In fact, we should be doing something to get rid of ALL of them. This should just the tip of the iceberg m'dear.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#107  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Mikepool said:

@Raiiyn: My solution

This is the best Kony meme.

The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By The_Assassin_

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Mikepool said:

And I know you read that in an English accent...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Mikepool said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Mikepool said:

funny thing is Simon Pegg is totally against killing Kony
    The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By The_Assassin_

@spiderbat87 said:

@Mikepool said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Mikepool said:

funny thing is Simon Pegg is totally against killing Kony

Eh, like celebrities opinions matter...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The people of Uganda said this KONY2012 thing is fake.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By hectorsquall
    Gotta love this guy!
    Gotta love this guy!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Raiiyn said:

@jeanlucpicard said:

So I'm a little confused.. you're saying that people should stop caring because they never cared before? Isn't that what the whole point of this campaign is? Turning people who don't know and don't care into people who do know and do care... you know, the whole 'let's change the world, one step at a time' mentality?

In fact, isn't that the whole point of every campaign? To educate people who know nothing of the problems out there so that instead of being oblivious and uncaring, they want to make a difference?

And yes, I agree. Money should most definitely be donated to help the less fortunate. I like to think of this as a 'gateway charity' though. You know, start with one and the others will follow. If this video and campaign can inspire people to actually learn about whats going on out there, maybe more people will donate to charities or volunteer time to help the less fortunate.

And on another note, just because this guy is 'like all the others', does that mean we should do nothing to get rid of him? No, no it doesn't. In fact, we should be doing something to get rid of ALL of them. This should just the tip of the iceberg m'dear.

I think the point he was making was that Africa has been in bad shape for quite some time now so why is it that now that someone is raising awareness about Kony are so many people trying to donate and help Uganda?
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#115  Edited By Billy Batson

I like how this thread was moved to the Kony board, lol.
    BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Billy Batson: Dude what happened to the cat?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I love how there's a Kony board...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Billy Batson

@spiderbat87:

Isn't he in the Red Lantern series?
    BB

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#119  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@hectorsquall said:

Gotta love this guy!
    Gotta love this guy!

Most people here ain't fools. We know that is Carl Weathers playing Dillon in Predator.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@Mikepool said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Mikepool said:

LOL! So did I. Wait. I haven an English accent. Touché world!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Vance Astro said:
    Yea I think he was in a Vertigo book or something  

@Billy Batson: Ohhhh it's Dex Starr
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Billy Batson

@Vance Astro said:

Well he was in the Unknown Soldier series and he isn't alone.

No Caption Provided

BB

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By hectorsquall

@Supreme Marvel: It's not Joseph Kony, it's... damn it, I'm too late! :p

@Billy Batson:

Moses Lwanga, greatest soldier ever!
    Moses Lwanga, greatest soldier ever!
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Billy Batson

@hectorsquall:

Too bad that didn't happen.
    BB

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@hectorsquall: Unless he had the Predator mask on making him invisible behind him. Or he had ninja training.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By hectorsquall

@Billy Batson:

No Caption Provided

@Supreme Marvel: LOL!

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Raiiyn

@Vance Astro said:

@Raiiyn said:

@jeanlucpicard said:

I think the point he was making was that Africa has been in bad shape for quite some time now so why is it that now that someone is raising awareness about Kony are so many people trying to donate and help Uganda?

And I think the point I was trying to make was that it shouldn't matter. Most people, while yes may know generally speaking that Africa is full of third world countries, do not necessarily understand what that means. Nor do they know the atrocities that many people face on a daily basis or exactly HOW bad it is. So this video that went viral, is actually very educational for those people and THAT is why they donate. THAT is why they 'all of a sudden' care. Because it is now in their face, and they can no longer plead ignorance.

People need to stop using the 'you care NOW' thing as an excuse to still not care.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Raiiyn said:

And I think the point I was trying to make was that it shouldn't matter. Most people, while yes may know generally speaking that Africa is full of third world countries, do not necessarily understand what that means. Nor do they know the atrocities that many people face on a daily basis or exactly HOW bad it is. So this video that went viral, is actually very educational for those people and THAT is why they donate. THAT is why they 'all of a sudden' care. Because it is now in their face, and they can no longer plead ignorance.

People need to stop using the 'you care NOW' thing as an excuse to still not care.

That's the thing though,when could any grown human being plead ignorance about Africa..just on the poverty alone? I don't assume to know why YOU personally care about this particular situation but I can fully understand the "why care now" argument.I'm am ignorant to anything Joseph Kony has done.I am not however ignorant to the fact many people all over Africa live in subhuman conditions and I think many people who CARE about this KONY2012 campaign are well aware of certain things going on in Africa and maybe they did care but it the reaction to it certainly wasn't a phenomenon.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @lykopis said:

? Please provide link to reputable news source?

I actually saw several videos that people FROM Uganda have made themselves and posted on youtube and other websites explaining why they think the KONY2012 campaign is exaggerated and the attention is disproportionate.Here's a link to an article from the Washington Post.It kind of breaks down some of the concerns people have raised about the campaign and some of the claims that have been made against it. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/the-controversy-over-kony-2012/2012/03/10/gIQAzc6M3R_blog.html
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#130  Edited By Nerx

General Butt Naked > Kony anyday since Kony is too much of a b!tch to commit cannibalism

Liberian Badass who has converted

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Raiiyn

@Vance Astro said:

@Raiiyn said:

That's the thing though,when could any grown human being plead ignorance about Africa..just on the poverty alone? I don't assume to know why YOU personally care about this particular situation but I can fully understand the "why care now" argument.I'm am ignorant to anything Joseph Kony has done.I am not however ignorant to the fact many people all over Africa live in subhuman conditions and I think many people who CARE about this KONY2012 campaign are well aware of certain things going on in Africa and maybe they did care but it the reaction to it certainly wasn't a phenomenon.

ok poverty yes, famine, yes... like I said though.. not everyone is going to know specifics as you yourself said you had no idea who Kony was... so the campaign is doing its job. Now you know. Whether you choose to care and make a difference is now an educated choice.

I don't understand this use of phenomenon you use. Are you saying that the video going viral shouldn't be such a shock? Like we clearly both agreed, people know about the poverty but they don't know about the every day dealings.. so yea.. there should be shock. I mean the world is JUST learning that children get stolen and turned into soldiers. You make it sound like this is old news when you admitted you never knew who Kony was. So until this happened, you were living in the dark. And while you may be content to go right on back to living in the dark... Hopefully the rest of the world chooses to stay informed.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#132  Edited By Hawkeye446

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@Mr. Mercury said:

@Vance Astro said:

@King Saturn said:

why has it taken so long to come together to go after this guy ?
    People don't care as much about Africa as they pretend to.

And it's sad this Kony 2012 campaign is just something high school/college kids are gonna post on their facebook status and switch out mirror pics for a KONY 2012 av to appear "globally aware".

Where were you for the past TWO decades?

In their mother's wombs...

You're great. All your comments, just great. Superb in fact.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#133  Edited By Hawkeye446

@lykopis: @Raiiyn: Great posts ladies. I have learnt a lot about the situation.

*sigh*

It's hard to see so many people being cynical... Not surprising, but saddening...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @lykopis said:

K - checked out the article.....not so much it being fake --- just some regurgitation of points brought up already in this thread in regards to his army of children being greatly reduced and him in hiding. However, he is still accountable for past crimes, and this was interesting to read:

"People are interested in Kony’s fate because of the scale of his past crimes and the vividness of his evil. But the LRA problem also attracts attention because a resolution is within reach. Kony is a cult-like figure, with a mystical hold over his followers. Removing him from the scene would likely result in the collapse of the LRA as an organized group. The net around Kony, with American help, is tightening. Even a little additional effort might make all the difference. The LRA may not be the biggest problem in the world, but it is a serious problem on the verge of solution."

So, that's great, looks like we're going to get this guy. Let's make the momentum reach out to others like him and keep the focus on nations like Uganda that need help.

One of the complaints about the campaign is that it's a scam for the Invisible Children organization to make money and that they are doing so by inflating the threat level presented by Kony remaining alive.That suggests it's fake.I posted that link because you asked for a link to a reputable news source but my original post was based on videos I saw from people (some of which are from parts of Africa including Uganda) and that is what I based my post on.On the Invisible Children website they address whether they've received any additional funds and their financial records are public, but they have a page on their website dedicated to their response to all the allegations people have made about the organization or the video they made. I'm not saying the campaign isn't an honest effort to get something done in Uganda.I was just reporting something I was seeing since this campaign has started.I haven't read what other people said in this thread.

@Raiiyn said:

ok poverty yes, famine, yes... like I said though.. not everyone is going to know specifics as you yourself said you had no idea who Kony was... so the campaign is doing its job. Now you know. Whether you choose to care and make a difference is now an educated choice.

I don't understand this use of phenomenon you use. Are you saying that the video going viral shouldn't be such a shock? Like we clearly both agreed, people know about the poverty but they don't know about the every day dealings.. so yea.. there should be shock. I mean the world is JUST learning that children get stolen and turned into soldiers. You make it sound like this is old news when you admitted you never knew who Kony was. So until this happened, you were living in the dark. And while you may be content to go right on back to living in the dark... Hopefully the rest of the world chooses to stay informed.

Not knowing the specifics isn't an excuse.It's why I support the "why care now" argument because if and when Joseph Kony is killed or arrested and there is no more LRA, Africa will still be in bad shape and we will continue to know that people go hungry and live in subhuman conditions and nothing will be done about that.I don't know how I made this sound like it's old news, but some of the other stuff going on in certain parts of Africa is old news and not enough has been done about it.I don't feel like I was living in the dark by not knowing anything previously about Joseph Kony because at the end of the day he's a small part of a bigger picture.
    The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By The_Assassin_

@Raiiyn:

No Caption Provided
    Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

I can honestly say I completely see where Vance is coming from. The only time anyone seems to want to help is when there is a big publicized statement. Like this one. After its all done all the supporters forget about Africa and move on. Who actually remembers things like Rwanda? Most people now days will probably associate it with the movie Hotel Rwanda (Which was a phenomenal movie that I think did justice to show the atrocities that happened during that time.) But do they realize that all of that actually happened? The movie was based on actual events with actual people. (Don Cheadle sold me on his acting skill after that movie.) I don't think many people today actually notice that part. Where were we back then when we were needed.

But there are still those select few who don't wait around for Live 8 to do another publicized event. People who support ONE or (RED) Campaigns all year round. It's those select few people who make the difference even on a small scale. Eventually those few will turn into hundreds and then thousands. We just can't afford to wait that long anymore. We need to make our stands now.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @lykopis said:

@Vance Astro:

Stating this organization is "fake" in your first post and saying it was due to seeing some YouTube posts was confusing. I sincerely thought I had missed something and asked where you got your information. I have done my own research into this, and contrary to your original opinion, this is a bonafide action to eradicate at least one of Uganda's many problems.- This organization is far from fake and have already made great strides in addressing this. I appreciate you saying that this is an honest attempt to make a difference in Uganda.

I get your cynicism but I am a little thrown by you stating you are on the "Why Care Now" side. I wasn't aware there were sides on this - either you want to help, or you don't. People have their own reasons as to why they do and why they don't support this initiative, but to criticize those that do by stating "why care now" and "it'll go back to the way things were" doesn't make any sense. None at all. Back in the early 80's we had a boatload of musicians singing songs and whatnot to help with the crisis in Ethiopia at the time, and you had U2 singing with Pavarotti to flash some spotlight on Sarajevo and although there are still terrible things going on in the world, at least thousands were saved, and a civil war ended. I can't help but find this apathy a little too convenient. Something is better than nothing. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

Either way - people are talking. The campaign is working. There are many organizations working in many countries in Africa trying to get things changed. Either you want to help, or you don't.

I never stated the organization was fake.My post said something to the effect of "People in Uganda said this KONY2012 thing is fake".I was basically relaying what I saw not using that as my own opinion.I never suggested that I believe that KONY2012 or Invisible Children was fake.

I'm on the why care now side because I didn't care before and I'm sure many people didn't and I personally know people who didn't care about ANY of the atrocities or issues going on in Africa and they knew about them and now all of a sudden their wearing KONY2012 bracelets.Sometimes when an issue comes up people try to hop on the bandwagon and they only care by statement, they don't donate,they don't help get the word out...they don't do anything.They just want to appear to be part of the crowd.Like with the Occupy movement.There were people out there in each city protesting for legitimate stuff but there were also people among them holding up stupid signs and trying to organize with them just to appear to be part of something when they never had any intention to help make a change in the first place.They were just riding the wave as long is what popular.That's not to say that YOU personally are pretending to care and you don't plan to do anything or you haven't done anything previously I'm just saying there is more going on, on the continent than Joseph Kony..things we've known about for years and many of us have made no effort to help.If you didn't care before, why now? It's a question because I don't understand more so than it is a criticism. 

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

I can honestly say I completely see where Vance is coming from. The only time anyone seems to want to help is when there is a big publicized statement. 

Thanks, Kiara.
    Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Raiiyn

@Vance Astro said:

@Raiiynsaid:

Not knowing the specifics isn't an excuse.It's why I support the "why care now" argument because if and when Joseph Kony is killed or arrested and there is no more LRA, Africa will still be in bad shape and we will continue to know that people go hungry and live in subhuman conditions and nothing will be done about that.I don't know how I made this sound like it's old news, but some of the other stuff going on in certain parts of Africa is old news and not enough has been done about it.I don't feel like I was living in the dark by not knowing anything previously about Joseph Kony because at the end of the day he's a small part of a bigger picture.

What is wrong with caring now? Should people just continue to not care because doing something, whether or not because its only 'jumping on the bandwagon', makes no difference? I understand that there are still other issues that need to be addressed. But people can't say that this is small. Kony is one of many warlords and if there is no one to protect the youth, how will their populations be able to benefit in the long run from any work that is done to end the poverty, famine, lack of education, etc. The impact that this man has had on various countries cannot be minimized. And no less can it be said that this is less important than fixing the famine or poverty. He is a hurdle in the way of that and if people can't see it I don't know how I could explain it any further. I think that people need do some more research then watching youtube or reading blogs.

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

@Vance Astro: Hey no problem its the complete truth.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fail to see why Kony is an issue to people now.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @lykopis said:

@Vance Astro:

You felt it important to share what some Ugandan people said, and I was curious enough to ask what it was. Thank you for responding to me, highly appreciated - and again - I see where you are coming from when you state that people seem to be jumping on the bandwagon. More of a social medium phenomenon rather than a true social awareness, I get that. I deal with that all the time - and in the end, its what I do that I focus on. My only thing is this sense of there being sides? Everyone agrees Kony needs to be stopped, yes? Either some will do something and help, some will help but then forget and return to the way they were before, and some will remain exactly as they were before, doing nothing. And some will be so motivated that they will continue helping for the rest of their lives.

People didn't care before, but now they do. That's great. I don't disagree with you about people knowing about atrocities in Africa before and not doing anything. I don't disagree with you that suddenly there is interest because it's become a meme-infested campaign. But something is better than nothing, the situation is so desperate that it trumps attitudes about "why care now" or hypocritical posturing on both these supposed sides. I think Ugandan children will take anything they can get, no matter how disingenuous. That's all I'm saying.

I wasn't aware if anyone in this thread had actually raised any concern or questions about the validity of this campaign.Just as I heard about KONY2012, I started seeing tons of videos with people suggesting that there was something fishy about the campaign.There really is no sides in this.Someone made a statement about what they think about the campaign and I backed it up because it's how I feel about the campaign.If the American government and other world leaders want to go in and get Kony, that's fine with me and I think it's something they should do, I just find it weird that there has to be massive campaign to even go after him.It would seem to me if the government has knowledge of what he has done they would either do something or be getting ready to do something.Whether we as the people care or don't care shouldn't even be an issue. 

@Raiiyn said:

What is wrong with caring now? Should people just continue to not care because doing something, whether or not because its only 'jumping on the bandwagon', makes no difference? I understand that there are still other issues that need to be addressed. But people can't say that this is small. 

Nothing is wrong with caring now.Caring in general is a good thing, especially if you actually care and you are willing to do something.That's the problem with the bandwagon though.Some people jump on bandwagons and not only do they not even understand the cause people are taking and interest in, unlike the other people involved they aren't actually willing to do anything.They just want to be part of the crowd because it's a popular movement.Which is why I used the "Occupy" Movement as an example.Alot of people were protesting..everyone wasn't doing it for the right reasons, everyone wasn't making an actual effort to change anything. 

@Raiiyn said:

Kony is one of many warlords and if there is no one to protect the youth, how will their populations be able to benefit in the long run from any work that is done to end the poverty, famine, lack of education, etc. The impact that this man has had on various countries cannot be minimized. And no less can it be said that this is less important than fixing the famine or poverty. He is a hurdle in the way of that and if people can't see it I don't know how I could explain it any further.

Removing Joseph Kony really isn't as important as fixing the famine,poverty and lack of education.Him potentially being in the way of the progress of those issues is basically what I said in my last post, but I think the standard of living in African countries is the bigger issue that the Kony situation fits into.He's one of the most wanted men now, chances are our government will step up and help take him down but that's as you said "a hurdle".It's those issues..the famine,the poverty and the lack of education that will still be there and still need some attention when and if we do arrest him.

@Raiiyn said:

I think that people need do some more research then watching youtube or reading blogs.

I don't know if this is a shot at me for mentioning something I saw on youtube, but I don't need to do any research.I know as much as I need to know about the situation to form an opinion.
    Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Raiiyn

@Hawkeye446: Thanks m'dear! Its not very surprising no.. But I've said it a thousand times and Ill say it again, I'm glad being an Activist is "trending", we need all the numbers we can get! Plus, even if they don't continue on with it, they still made a difference for a little while, which is a whole lot better then people who choose to do nothing, ever.

@sesquipedalophobe: Mostly because its finally getting the attention it deserves via the media. And that is mostly due to the fact that there are people out there smart enough to use social media as an outlet. We didn't have the kind of communication 10 years ago that we do now. I mean, imagine trying to get that video across to the masses when everyone was still on AOL? Facebook, twitter and the like have opened up an entirely new avenue for advertising. Invisible Children are the first I've seen who have been able to use that to their advantage.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#143  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Raiiyn said:

@Vance Astro said:

@Raiiynsaid:

What is wrong with caring now? Should people just continue to not care because doing something, whether or not because its only 'jumping on the bandwagon', makes no difference? I understand that there are still other issues that need to be addressed. But people can't say that this is small. Kony is one of many warlords and if there is no one to protect the youth, how will their populations be able to benefit in the long run from any work that is done to end the poverty, famine, lack of education, etc. The impact that this man has had on various countries cannot be minimized. And no less can it be said that this is less important than fixing the famine or poverty. He is a hurdle in the way of that and if people can't see it I don't know how I could explain it any further. I think that people need do some more research then watching youtube or reading blogs.

Honestly, the fact that people have been ignorant to this situation for decades and just start realizing what is happening outside their perfect little lives really ticks me off. Watching a video and re-posting it isn't helping anyone, it's not going to help anyone. We don't have the power to change anything, we never did and we never will. Sh!t like this has been occurring for MUCH longer than people realize, they are just blinded by the illusion that is modern media.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Deranged Midget said:

Honestly, the fact that people have been ignorant to this situation for decades and just start realizing what is happening outside their perfect little lives really ticks me off. Watching a video and re-posting it isn't helping anyone, it's not going to help anyone. We don't have the power to change anything, we never did and we never will. Sh!t like this has been occurring for MUCH longer than people realize, they are just blinded by the illusion that is modern media.

I agree on the part about having the power to change something.The government is already well aware of what Kony has done and what type of threat his presents so they will take him down if they really want to.It's really that simple.Raising awareness for the American people isn't really what's going to make the difference.
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

SLACKTERVISM!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @lykopis said:

Yep - it's been raised in this thread, and even I had some misgivings about this organization. As for sides, I actually only saw it from you (the comment about being of the side of the "why care now" argument) which is why I brought it up. Any government would need the will of its people to go in and do something about anything (usually) - this is what the campaign is aiming for. The video discusses this, has senators stating quite clearly that this issue needs to stay in the forefront of people's minds in order to get this done.

I never used the word "side".I simply said I "support" the why care now argument because someone already said what in so may words what I was thinking.I don't think the United States government needs our support to do anything. 

@lykopis said:

This is how democracy works. People need to care, express that care to their government representative who then shares that care with other representatives who hopefully reach consensus to do something about it. Unfortunately, most countries' foreign policies depend on ignorance of its own people - and this is most pronounced in the United States of America.

Whatever we can do to alleviate suffering can only be a good thing. Fingers crossed, this will turn out to be a success.

Yes, in theory, that's how a democracy is supposed to work, but rarely does our democracy work that way.Many things that American Citizens don't want happening and have expressed so in massive #'s still happens and that will continue in the future.If the United States Government wants to go after Kony they will..if they don't..they just won't and I don't think there's anything you or me or invisible children can do about it.
    Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Raiiyn

@Vance Astro said:

@Raiiyn said:

What is wrong with caring now? Should people just continue to not care because doing something, whether or not because its only 'jumping on the bandwagon', makes no difference? I understand that there are still other issues that need to be addressed. But people can't say that this is small.

Nothing is wrong with caring now.Caring in general is a good thing, especially if you actually care and you are willing to do something.That's the problem with the bandwagon though.Some people jump on bandwagons and not only do they not even understand the cause people are taking and interest in, unlike the other people involved they aren't actually willing to do anything.They just want to be part of the crowd because it's a popular movement.Which is why I used the "Occupy" Movement as an example.Alot of people were protesting..everyone wasn't doing it for the right reasons, everyone wasn't making an actual effort to change anything.

@Raiiyn said:

Kony is one of many warlords and if there is no one to protect the youth, how will their populations be able to benefit in the long run from any work that is done to end the poverty, famine, lack of education, etc. The impact that this man has had on various countries cannot be minimized. And no less can it be said that this is less important than fixing the famine or poverty. He is a hurdle in the way of that and if people can't see it I don't know how I could explain it any further.

Removing Joseph Kony really isn't as important as fixing the famine,poverty and lack of education.Him potentially being in the way of the progress of those issues is basically what I said in my last post, but I think the standard of living in African countries is the bigger issue that the Kony situation fits into.He's one of the most wanted men now, chances are our government will step up and help take him down but that's as you said "a hurdle".It's those issues..the famine,the poverty and the lack of education that will still be there and still need some attention when and if we do arrest him.

@Raiiyn said:

I think that people need do some more research then watching youtube or reading blogs.

I don't know if this is a shot at me for mentioning something I saw on youtube, but I don't need to do any research.I know as much as I need to know about the situation to form an opinion.

Well I'm glad we can agree that there is nothing wrong with caring now. I also think that spreading the message is doing something. I mean you yourself stated in an earlier reply to me that you are ignorant of the any of the things that Joseph Kony has done. Having assumed you watched the video? I would say that you are now aware of the things he has done. The video served its purpose in educating you. Now you can make an educated decision in either choosing to do something about it or perhaps taking a stance you may or may not have in the past, to do something about the famine and poverty in third world countries. And I strongly disagree. Whether or not they were doing it for the right or wrong reasons, they added to the numbers. That matters. Trust me. I've been a part of numerous campaigns and protests and it always comes down to numbers. So that in itself is still beneficial to the cause.

Secondly.. Let's play pretend and imagine that in 24 hours we can have Uganda healthy. Healthy in the sense that there is food and we have created jobs for many and there is even more medical advancements to help the sick. Sounds wonderful doesn't it? ... It would be destroyed and torn apart by warlords in minutes. Any good that we could manage right now simply won't last if we are unable to rid them of those kinds of threats. And that goes for many third world countries. Josephy Kony is not the only, certainly won't be the last and Uganda is not the only victim. Look at it this way, if you build a house on land without a foundation, will it hold through stormy weather? No. In fact, it won't last long on its own at all.

There are a myriad of issues that need to be fixed in third world countries. Most of them will need to get done along side one another or in quick succession and still others will need to be helped before anything else can be done.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to this. Joseph Kony needs to be stopped. Third world countries need help to feed their populace, clothe their populace and sustain their populace in healthy and deserved living conditions. Whether or not you agree with the methods, Invisible Children is still doing its part in raising awareness and contributing.

(On a side note, it wasn't a direct cut at you, more at the world. I've been arguing about this for days with various different people on various media outlets and in real life... You could say I'm becoming a bit frustrated at this point ;P)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @lykopis said:

You did use the word side

I reread all my posts and I really didn't lol. 

@lykopis said:

I get it though - there are no sides. Support, etc -

We agreed. 

@lykopis said:

Now this is interesting. As an American, you truly feel this way? I think that's terrible.

I don't think it's subject to opinion and maybe even that's an opinion but I don't recall one instance where the influence of the people ever changed what the government did.I think the government tells us what we want to here when they want to be elected but as far as them taking action because we want them to...I don't think that's happened once since i've been alive. I think the government does things because they make sense and some times they just be in favor of what the people want.

@lykopis said:

Maybe American citizens need their own revolution? It sounds like a dictatorship down there.

Maybe so.  

@lykopis said:

True - but this is an international campaign, not just aimed at the United States. People all over the world have been involved with Invisible Children for years - this is just the first massive campaign through social media the organization has done.

That may be true but I know our involvement in this effort is being asked for.From what I read I assume that the US will be more involved with the effort in no time but no time but not because of the press around the documentary or all the people supporting invisible children.

@lykopis said:

As always, love the dialogue. Constantly learning, thank you.

You're welcome.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Raiiyn said:

Well I'm glad we can agree that there is nothing wrong with caring now. I also think that spreading the message is doing something. I mean you yourself stated in an earlier reply to me that you are ignorant of the any of the things that Joseph Kony has done. Having assumed you watched the video? I would say that you are now aware of the things he has done. The video served its purpose in educating you. Now you can make an educated decision in either choosing to do something about it or perhaps taking a stance you may or may not have in the past, to do something about the famine and poverty in third world countries. And I strongly disagree. Whether or not they were doing it for the right or wrong reasons, they added to the numbers. That matters. Trust me. I've been a part of numerous campaigns and protests and it always comes down to numbers. So that in itself is still beneficial to the cause.

Secondly.. Let's play pretend and imagine that in 24 hours we can have Uganda healthy. Healthy in the sense that there is food and we have created jobs for many and there is even more medical advancements to help the sick. Sounds wonderful doesn't it? ... It would be destroyed and torn apart by warlords in minutes. Any good that we could manage right now simply won't last if we are unable to rid them of those kinds of threats. And that goes for many third world countries. Josephy Kony is not the only, certainly won't be the last and Uganda is not the only victim. Look at it this way, if you build a house on land without a foundation, will it hold through stormy weather? No. In fact, it won't last long on its own at all.

There are a myriad of issues that need to be fixed in third world countries. Most of them will need to get done along side one another or in quick succession and still others will need to be helped before anything else can be done.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to this. Joseph Kony needs to be stopped. Third world countries need help to feed their populace, clothe their populace and sustain their populace in healthy and deserved living conditions. Whether or not you agree with the methods, Invisible Children is still doing its part in raising awareness and contributing.

(On a side note, it wasn't a direct cut at you, more at the world. I've been arguing about this for days with various different people on various media outlets and in real life... You could say I'm becoming a bit frustrated at this point ;P)

I was ignorant to what Joseph Kony has done before I came in this thread or rather before I looked up what KONY2012 was when I saw people were saying something about it on youtube and facebook.The American government however isn't ignorant to what he's done.We've known long before the release of the documentary.I'm fine with learning new things, but knowing who Joseph Kony is as far as I'm personally concerned isn't going to change anything.I know there are atrocities in Africa, I know there are tons of other problems, I've know for years and my opinion about it has always been...it shouldn't be up to the people of other countries to donate to these funds and these organizations that try and make steps toward these threats.The government is just as aware of the situation as we are..THAT'S who should be dealing with it.As far as i've seen since i've been alive protesting doesn't work.Whatever we protest about that we don't like that the government wants to do..chances are they do it anyway.The government does what it wants. 

I agree that the little things help and that they are better than doing nothing but let's see if there are further efforts to help the people of Uganda on other issues when Joseph Kony is gone.
    Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Raiiyn

@Vance Astro:

That was my point. It took the video and the ensuing media attention to teach you. I think, on it making a difference, thats something we'll have to disagree on. I myself have seen protests in action and have seen amazing outcomes due to those protests.

In regards to the government, I'l use the states as an example and simply say they were caught up in their first world problems. Yes, I agree. Something should have been done years ago. I find it horrific that the world powers decided to not interfere for so long. However, as Lykopis stated earlier, people need to care. The government is swayed by the want of its people because it knows that it is nothing without its people. Well, in a democracy anyways. This video is getting that support. And those 'trending activists' are mailing those letters to their political leaders and that will speak volumes in the long run. Hopefully the world powers will finally do something, yes? *fingers crossed* But at the end of the day... sometimes you gotta light a fire under their bums you know ;P

And for the record... women's right to vote? Yea, that happened because of protesting. =) You make enough noise and people will listen.

I hope we do see continued effort on this front after Kony but I also do want to point out that this is NOT the only outlet for helping the people of Uganda or any other country for that matter. I support 3 children through a program called Because I Am A Girl. There are numerous other programs and organizations such as Plan International, World Vision, Red Cross, Africare, CARE, Childfund International, Doctors Without Borders, etc... These outlets may not be in the spotlight, but trust me... They do their fair share of work and will continue to do so.

I've listed some links below in case anyone goes through the thread and become interested in more avenues for assisting the situation.

http://becauseiamagirl.ca/

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

http://www.planusa.org/

http://www.worldvision.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx

http://www.childfund.org/

http://www.care.org/

http://www.africare.org/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.