Russell Crowe In Negotiations To Play Jor-El

• 52 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
You will see the world through my own eyes.... and all that.

I was always struck by a note from Mario Puzo’s early treatment for the original SUPERMAN movies about how, ideally, Jor-El should be played by the same actor as Superman. The father of a hero should’ve been a hero in his own time, right? For that reason, I find Russell Crowe more fitting to the part than even a fine actor like Anthony Hopkins (who was attached to the role for Brett Ratner’s unrealized Superman trilogy.)

Variety’s saying that Crowe’s in negotiations currently to play the man of tomorrow’s pops in Zack Snyder’s upcoming SUPERMAN reboot, THE MAN OF STEEL. Getting a huge name like this for the part had been part of Christopher Nolan’s agenda while he was still godfathering the project. And I suppose “godfathering” is a fitting term to bandy around in this discussion, because Crowe is obviously inherenting the role from Marlon Brando’s memorable turn in the Richard Donner classic. The parallels between the two actors are there. Brando and Crowe are both highly-respected, serious actors with that elusive, volatile animal magnetism and you’d never expect them to star in a superhero movie. Hell, Brando was even around the same age as Crowe is now when he starred in the first SUPERMAN.

When this gets locked, it’ll leave only one more major character remaining to be cast - - Supes’ mother, Lara. Which actress tops the Comic Vine fantasy casting call for that particular role?

#1 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the best news I've heard about 'Man of Steel.' I sincerely hope this happens.

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

:D

#3 Posted by Bluetorch (80 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome news!

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, what an odd choice, a great choice, but odd

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Nate Cosby (NateCosBOOM) just tweeted my favourite comment on this so far:

"Oy! Kal-iL! Oym gonna sind ye t'this plinit whea y'got powas bitta thin otha peepul. Dan't go wearin' y'undies owtside y'pants!" -Jor-El
#6 Posted by Bluetorch (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, the actors playing Supes' fathers (Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner) both played Robin Hood.  Funny coincidence.

#7 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

[Scene Krypton.  House of Jor-El.  They have just brought home newborn Kal-El from the hospital] 

Jor-El:  Goochi Goochi Goo!!! 

Kal-El: meh 

Jor-El:  ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?! 

[throws phone and sends baby into outerspace]

#8 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

BOO!! BOO!!! not russell crowe! I want Collin firth to play JOR-EL! 
#9 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm...nope still not gonna see it.

#10 Posted by NightFang (10049 posts) - - Show Bio

IDK about this choice. 

#11 Posted by kungnima (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Michelle Pfweiffer for Lara! Or is she not young enough?
In that case, Nicole Kidman.

#12 Posted by HexThis (899 posts) - - Show Bio

Well then, no genital mutilation for baby Kal-el in that case!

#13 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell, you know what? Crowe could play an older Superman. I'm even more ok with this than before.

#14 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good!! Got a feeling the Man Of Steel is going to be E P I C ! !

#15 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think it's probably either inspired or a disaster.

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@SupremoMaximo said:
[Scene Krypton.  House of Jor-El.  They have just brought home newborn Kal-El from the hospital]  Jor-El:  Goochi Goochi Goo!!!  Kal-El: meh  Jor-El:  ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?!  [throws phone and sends baby into outerspace]
Lmao
#17 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

This is epic.

#18 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, I can't find the interview, but it was around the time of American Gangster, and Russell Crowe was asked about superhero rumors and he made fun of them joking about wearing a cape and spandex like he was too high above it all.
Wish i could fin the interview though.
So I don't know.

#19 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7816 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cosmic Sentinel said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think it's probably either inspired or a disaster.
#20 Posted by Samimista (20711 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen any of Russell's movies so I can't judge yet

#21 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

A CG Marlon Brando is the only way to go! Nyehehe!

#22 Posted by BlackRoseTessa (59 posts) - - Show Bio

dont like him , but will give him a chance
#23 Posted by RazzaTazz (9636 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice plug for Virtuosity

#24 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm...not so sure about this but I'll give it a try. As for who could play Lara Lor-Van, I just don't know who could fit such a role.  That is a tough choice...

#25 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

Super awesome!

#26 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow...didnt see that coming. 

Thiscould be interesting.
#27 Posted by Norusdog (203 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Russell as an actor...even if as a person he's a douche.

regardless why would they pay this guys higher fee for what MUST be a very very SMALL role in the film?

we've seen superman's origin before...if this re-reboot is going to work they need to fucking move beyond that bullshit..and as such Jor-El shouldn't be in it much at all..so why pay for an actor like Crowe? spend that money on better actors for the main roles.  wtf.

#28 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it fits well with who's been slated to the film so far as all the parental figures are big talent that haven't really done much in the last few years (box office and award wise) and yet instantly bring out the best in whatever role they are in. 

Plus (and this may be completely unintentional on their part) but Snyder and Nolan seem to be aligning the parental figures pretty well. There is a certain similarity between the characters that Costner and Crowe have played as well as the onscreen presence they both have. So as an audience it won't feel like one father is above or better than the other. They are each going to carry immense weight in their own ways and messages. 

So given Diane Lane is going to play Martha they need to get an actress for Lara Lor-Van who carries a similar intelligent and motherly presence. The first person that comes to mind is Nicole Kidman, who carries herself and speaks in a way that I think would bring some much needed depth and power to Lara.....who is generally been just a small part of Superman's mythos until the recent "Last Family of Krypton" mini-series. In that story we got to see a strong wife to Jor-El and I think this is definitely the version that they should bring into the film. Even though Jor-El and Lara's onscreen time will be short (barring minutes of holographic projections.....which I'm thoroughly against by the way and think they should follow the data tablet idea from Superman: Birthright but with both Jor-El and Lara's voices narrarating different topics) bringing in a powerhouse like Kidman would make the audience remember Lara throughout the film and combined with Crowe as Jor-El would show the greatness of his biological lineage and will combine nicely with the moral upbringing and messages that can be conveyed by Costner and Lane.
#29 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

My fantasy casting pick for Lara

#30 Posted by MutenRoshi (851 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't realize throwing phones was one of Jor-el's super powers.

Also Russell Crowe is the man!

#32 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

They could do a Russel Crowe Krypton movie starring Jor-El and I would watch it.

#33 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler
I'd agree with you but after watching the Spartacus series I don't think I could go into a Superman movie with pure thoughts if you catch my drift
#34 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

Barh!?!

#35 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

makin movies.. makin songs..........!!!  russell  crowe fighting round the world!!

#36 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

#37 Posted by theicon (1797 posts) - - Show Bio

jor-el 6.7

#38 Posted by matthuliz (12 posts) - - Show Bio

This is definitely positive!!! No need to compare Russell Crowe to Marlon Brando. Both are great actors in DIFFERENT generations. 

With that said, I still hate Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and General Zod as the main villain.  

As for Lara, I bet Demi Moore can do it without being overshadowed by Russell Crowe. 

http://matthuliz.multiply.com

#39 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

They already changed their Jor-El? Didn't they plan to have Kevin Costner or was that Johnathan Kent?

Anyway, I see they're preparing an all-star cast for this movie, they really want it to make some money this time around.

#40 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Well yeah especially after Green Lantern bombs (which by all early reviews its going to). 

Also throwing out another Lara Lor-Van possibility that a guy on Facebook tossed out......Connie Nielson, who played opposite Crowe in Gladiator and was a pretty big name up to about 2005 (loved her in Basic) and I think she'd fit well into this group.
#41 Posted by djotaku (441 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it always reboots?  Why can't we see some of the later stories?  Or even The Death of Superman?  That'd be an awesome movie or trilogy.

#42 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

Throws a phone at the thread

#43 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio
@djotaku
Because the canon of the earlier films doesn't really work well for continuing a film series given, which was why Superman Returns was supposed to occur after Superman II and completely negate the stories from Superman III and IV 

However Superman Returns brought its own problems with it......mainly Lois being married and her son being the love child of her and Supes. Trying to continue the film franchise from Returns would have to keep the kid and I don't think that was something they were interested in doing. 

So going with an origins story completely rids a new franchise of all the history that came before it and can establish itself as a new timeline ripe for bringing in stories like The Death of Superman. 

My biggest concern is not with the origin story but DC's continued neglect of bridging its characters together. I'm not saying Bale should show up in the batsuit but at least connect these films in some way.
#44 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if he wants a superman symbol on it.

#45 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

Russel Crowe is taking the part for the lulz. He ain't fooling nobody. He knows damn well he just just wants to see what he looks like getting blown up in Zack Snyder slo-motion.....in 3D.

#46 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

Good choice.

#47 Posted by stuamerica (327 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree that Jor-El should be played by someone of heroic stature.  He was more of a scientist than a hero.  Of course, Russel Crowe can pull that off as well (re: A Beautiful Mind).  This is a perfect choice as Brando was there to bring mainstream appeal until the actor became big enough to carry the series himself.  Same scenario here.   
I must lean towards Gretchen Mol for Lara myself. 
#48 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

"Kal-El, My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. But you may call me daddy"

#49 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio
@Eyz: Costner is going to be Jon Kent, not Jor-El.
#50 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.