Jonah Hex Sequel!?

Posted by No_Name_ (17409 posts) - - Show Bio

You read right! The first Jonah Hex film has not even been released yet, and talks of a sequel have ensued. In an interview with MTV, Megan Fox drops a few hints about what we should expect from Jonah Hex.

“You don’t think there will be a sequel to ‘Jonah Hex’? They leave it open for a sequel.”
Fox, who only worked on the film for a week; cited that she was very impressed with what she had seen of the film, and was extremely enthusiastic about it. My question is this: are they putting a lot of pressure on the film? Could the producers of the film's expectations be too high? I like Jonah Hex. I always have and I always found that he was an extremely intricate and intriguing character; however, how successful are Western's this day and age? Are you planning on seeing Jonah Hex? I honestly wasn't, and if I do see it, it won't be for Megan Fox who plays  "a tough, no-nonsense prostitute.”

#1 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to see it even if it ends up being a pile of crap. I love Jonah Hex, and I also will not be going to see this for Megan Fox lol.

#2 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with you with this one Babs,I'm going to see it too,but first I need to see the first one. Same here I mean I like Megan Fox ,but I want to see it not,because of her,but for  Jonah Hex the main  character of the movie.

#3 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see it to support as many comic movies as possible so they keep getting made, Jonah Hex may not be a comic I read but it doing well in the theater could lead to a comic I do read such as Dead Romeo making it to the theater, plus MEGAN FOX is in it! 

#4 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is that this is a very gritty and violent base and if they're going to do it faithfully it's going to be R, and that will mean it looses some audiences. I mean I started reading it when I was 15 and wouldn't be able to see it without my dad if i still were that age so the typical audience for comic book movies that have not read comics will most likely not be able to see this, which means less money, I doubt that there will be a squeal. Like you said babs westerns don't do as well these days.

#5 Posted by Decept-O (7284 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely want to see this movie.  I am fond of good Westerns as it is, and the fact this is a type of "comic book" Western is even more reason for me to see it, Hex is bad ass.  To echo most opinions, I could care less about Megan Fox.  If Zoey Daschle, who appeared in the opening of this video shows up in Hex, I'd be more excited.  Whoa.  Anyway, Fox is just stating that the movie leaves the possiblity open for a sequel, whether or not one will happen depends on the success of it.  I'm happy that Josh Brolin and Malkovich are in it, two of my favorite actors.

#6 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Just looking at the scarred face of Johnah Hex gives me doubts on this movie, even though I hope it's great

#7 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

wtf the movie isn't out yet...

#8 Posted by Omg chris (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

yo megan fox is always licking her lips omg XD

#9 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Westerns and Brolin is really starting to come into his own as a actor. I am reall jazzed. I never even read a hex comic.

#10 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF! What if the first movie sucks?!

#11 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Westerns were dead.

#12 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923: They shouldn't be.
#13 Posted by Laura Logan (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Naw, Jonah Hex, isn't really my thing... But I'll go see it since it's a comic movie!

#14 Posted by King Saturn (224811 posts) - - Show Bio
I gotta see the first film before I can say Okay to a sequel...
#15 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

jumping the gun on a sequel (no pun intended)

#16 Posted by Sovereign Son (1901 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"jumping the gun on a sequel (no pun intended) "

But the pun work :D
#17 Posted by NightFang (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this movie is good.

#18 Posted by SirSparkington (342 posts) - - Show Bio

I was planning on seeing it because I love westerns and JHex. Not super crazy about Megan Fox though.

#19 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

all movies are left open for sequels, doesn't mean they get them

#20 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really looking forward to this film. I'm a very big fan of westerns, and something we're sorely lacking on silver screen is more westerns. 

#21 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13 said:
" The problem is that this is a very gritty and violent base and if they're going to do it faithfully it's going to be R, and that will mean it looses some audiences. I mean I started reading it when I was 15 and wouldn't be able to see it without my dad if i still were that age so the typical audience for comic book movies that have not read comics will most likely not be able to see this, which means less money, I doubt that there will be a squeal. Like you said babs westerns don't do as well these days. "
I really Doubt this will be a issue. Almost every good/well received Western for decades has been R rated. Not to mention that comics with a " very gritty and violent base" are not intended for 15 year olds. I was reading Marvel Comics at 5, that doesn't meant they were intended for me. I'm pretty sure the writers of Iron Man weren't writing Demon In A Bottle for 5 year old kids. 

Westerns like Appaloosa and Open Range were very well received by fans of the genre and critics. The simple fact that it has such a strong cast and a R rating will most likely help the movie, not hurt it. Fact is, kids are who aren't into westerns these days, not those of us that grew up with them, or that were raised with films like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (My all time fav film). Westerns have a place, it's just not with kids. 

#22 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio
@jefprice: That is true. I hope it will be good, have you ever seen Silverado it was the first western I saw and I loved it.
#23 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13: I did, it's great right? Lol I said "Fact is" in that post a lot didn't I? Lol

First western I ever saw was Shane, followed by some JW stuff which really wasn't for me. But shortly after that I watched a TNT Clint Eastwood western day and fell in love with the genre. 
#24 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio
@jefprice: FINALLY!! someone who like westerns who doesn't think John Wayne is some kind of God lol. I love the Clint Eastwood stuff, especially the dollars trilogy. I like Silverado because it kind of goes against the grain, instead of the sheriff taking down the outlaws its the outlaws taking down a corrupt sheriff. Just great.
#25 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

He has his place, it's just not my thing Lol. Though I do like the old shows such as Wild Wild West, CE is my fav though. If you like that type of film you should check out Unforgiven and The Quick and The Dead. It's a great take down the corrupt shoot em up.  

#26 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13: Forgot to hit that reply button on that one. 
#27 Edited by whirlwind6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
"I thought Westerns were dead. "

I'm from Texas and to put it in a sterotypical fashon, "Them's fighting words!"

This movie sounds like it has the potential not only to be an excellant comic book movie, but the return of the western genre.  If it stinks, then I'll just have to go all Clint Eastwood on them.
#28 Posted by Watchman (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Never really read any of the comics, but it seems it will be a good shooet em up film. I like Westerns too.

#29 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio
@jefprice: I've seen Unforgiven and it is great. I haven't seen the quick and the dead yet but I plan too, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.