Follow

Jonah Hex

Character » Jonah Hex appears in 516 issues.

A Civil War veteran turned bounty hunter, Jonah Hex's disfigured face and boorish personality don't win him many friends, but his code of honor and expert marksmanship skills means he's always willing to fight for and protect the innocent and dispense lethal justice.

JONAH HEX Movie Portrait

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Snap into the beefy, spicy, juicy taste!
     Snap into the beefy, spicy, juicy taste!

Along with Jackie Earl Haley, I’m really glad to see Josh Brolin making such a comeback after being known mostly as child actor. And the two of them acting in comics-based movies makes their comeback doubly-pleasing. I had mixed feelings about NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MAN as a whole, but Brolin’s performance was a flawless stand-out. That whole part where he’s un-jams his gun while running from an attack dog in the creek was Grade A certified American bad ass. So I think it’s some brilliant casting to make him the grizzliest of the DCU’s grizzled heroes, Jonah Hex.

It’s been a while since we’ve heard anything about this project, but Warner Bros recently a hi-res photo of Mr. Brolin in full Western regalia. I have a hunch that this the picture is that’s going to be used on the wrappers of the inevitable Slim Jim tie-ins. Right? ‘Cause half his face looks like jerky.

Unfortunately, it seems that production troubles may be the reason we haven’t heard much about this movie in a while.  Brent Hinds, the front man of metal outfit Mastodon, has been voicing frustrations about the difficulty his band’s been going through over the score they made for JONAH HEX. They recorded work last fall that they’re still really proud of, but have had to re-record it to fit the numerous re-shoots and changing personnel. Apparently, the first composer they were working had to drop out due to delays, while the second one wants a more subtle underscore in favor of the driving heavy metal blast they put together.

What do you in the scarred-face Comic Vine community think about this? Are you stoked for JONAH HEX? Or is it not even on your map for the summer?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EdwardWindsor

looks good hopefully see some more soon

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Oh I know I'm turned on... O_o ew

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MemnochZERO

Film scores are so important. A few missed steps and you have a pretty bad viewing experience. X3 for instance has a nonsensical obnoxious score that further seperated the already weak film from its counterparts (moody films, moody score). And I thought  Peter Jackson took a big step backwards refusing Howard Shore's score for King King (after the masterful work on the LOTR trilogy) and while I can't call the music in King Kong bad, I can't help but wonder what could have been with Shore's score. 
    And as far as Westerns go, look at Young Guns. They dropped a traditional score and Irish inspired music of the time period for a contemporary rock guitar type score. To this day I'd say it's the weakest part of that film.  
    Now we have Jonah Hex. I have nothing against Mastodon and they probably made one hell of a score for an action movie, but it's gonna go horribly wrong with a period film, and a WESTERN. 
    I can wait longer if it means scoring the film properly.
    Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Bobby X

can't wait for this. I think it's going to be the surprise comic book hit of the year.
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Green ankh

I would not have thought so but i am really looking forward to this.  I haven't seen agood western in along time to boot.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I'm disappointed they really didn't do anything with his eye. They didn't have to make to Two-face freaky, but it could of been a little something.

Still, I'm not sure I'd want to see this movie.  Even once it came out on video.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Looking forward to this one not only because of the character, but, and I hate to admit, the actors lined up--Brolin, Malkovich.  That sells it for me.   

*Snap into a Slim Jim!*
    GothamBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By GothamBat

I'm a huge western fan. I'm really looking forward to this. Even if it does have Megan Fox in it.
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Does Jonah Hex have even have a favorite snack?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

I just love Jonah's scar! 

thedez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By thedez

Too handsome.  Needs to look more like Two-Face.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By robokungfu

Warner Bros obviously couldn't care less about this movie.  It comes out in two months and not a SINGLE trailer or mention other than this latest portrait.  This movie is going to tank.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bruce Vain

Hell yea - damn Brolin was a good a pick. Tom Jane would've been good too. After seeing that pic of him testing out makeup as Jonah. But I'm happy Brolin got it. :)
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Darkchild

Cant freaking wait for this. Even more now that Mastodon are doing a score. Since their awesome in studio.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By geraldthesloth

can they atleast do some holes in his mouth? iono I like the stringy strips of flesh hanging on the side.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By kennybaese

Excellent casting, for sure. I'm pretty excited to see this. Not crazy about the makeup, though. They didn't go anywhere near far enough with it.

DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeathinFire
    @MemnochZERO said:
    "Film scores are so important. A few missed steps and you have a pretty bad viewing experience. X3 for instance has a nonsensical obnoxious score that further seperated the already weak film from its counterparts (moody films, moody score). And I thought  Peter Jackson took a big step backwards refusing Howard Shore's score for King King (after the masterful work on the LOTR trilogy) and while I can't call the music in King Kong bad, I can't help but wonder what could have been with Shore's score. And as far as Westerns go, look at Young Guns. They dropped a traditional score and Irish inspired music of the time period for a contemporary rock guitar type score. To this day I'd say it's the weakest part of that film.  Now we have Jonah Hex. I have nothing against Mastodon and they probably made one hell of a score for an action movie, but it's gonna go horribly wrong with a period film, and a WESTERN. I can wait longer if it means scoring the film properly. "

I agree, I think that sound really does make a lot of the movie.   I've got nothing against Mastadon either, but if it turns out like the Punisher movie did I don't think I'd like it.  Loved the Punisher movie, but they could have made better choices on the soundtrack.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By doordoor123

Has everyone forgot that Megan Fox is in this?
    Its going to be a disaster. This is a train-wreck waiting to happen.
    Tell me if it gets good reviews. If it does ill see it and block Megan Fox with my hand the entire movie.
    She looks dirty. Like she has every kind of STD.

greenlantern26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By greenlantern26

ok i have to say im happy as a fat man in a bacon store.... i love jonah hex tho im tarded for getting behind in the comics. 
    hes a good man who has a hard life who still finds the intestinal fortitude to keep doing the right thing.
    as long as the film shows this in the man who would be stuffed ( im sure some one will get that )  it
    will be one of the best movies i hope i will ever see.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.