The Joker Asylum II - The Riddler

EnterTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By EnterTheHero

Here's the full review http://playeraffinity.com/comic-reviews/Jokers-Asylum-ii-The-Riddler.html     

Being unfamiliar with the origin Joker's Asylum one shots, I seized the opportunity to read the first one shot, The Riddler, for Asylum II. My first impression was that it was a story written for a child and may have been a discarded episode from Batman Animated Series. The fact is that writer Peter Calloway (Brothers & Sisters), not surprisingly, writes the issue very much like a TV show.

This episode... sorry, I mean issue, begins with the Joker keeping the other patients at the Asylum awake with his wacky antics. He breaks the fourth wall looking out at the reader and tells them a tale about a riddle the Riddler couldn't solve. The Joker continues narrating, as the reader is shown an art heist by none other than the Riddler. Everything is going fine until one of the hostages' stands up to the Riddler and asks him what exactly he thinks he's doing. From that moment on the Riddler is infatuated by the red head.

The Riddler makes it out of the museum with only one painting after Batman shows up and puts a stop to his nonsense. But the Riddler is love struck by the red head and begins learning all he can about her. He sends her roses and candies, none of which she accepts. All the while he tries to get into her head, to figure out how to get into her heart. He pays off her student loan, which I find pretty impossible to do with stolen money, but hey... whatever works. That too is met with contempt.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#1  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

I really don't see what you're talking about. I do agree, yes that it wasn't the best story ever writen (and i would have enjoyed it as an episode of the animated series), BUT, having said this, I apose all the rest. If you actully read it (not just buzz through it like one often with eqicting books/comics, but look and examine the story/frames) you will be amazed at how the artist and perhaps the writer, this Mr. Calloway, have put in all these clues or card references into this comic. While the story it self is simple, the art and ideas beyond are not.

I do see similarities, as mentioned above with a show on TV, but the complex hidden secrets do not strike me as a regular TV show. Most TV shows will have a hidden person, an invigual we don't find who they are until later in the episode or series. However, for this comic we do not actually see a completely resolved conclusion. This character is what we in fiction call an "unseen character". If you look at most TV shows while there are some origanally Unseen characters, we later find out who this person is. However, here we never actully find out (sort of like how we never actully find out who Beatrice from Series of Unfortunite Events is/was).

[ By the way, please look at my review and like/dislike it. Thanks. ]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.