icarusflies's Joker's Asylum II: The Mad Hatter #1 - Tea Time review

Doesn't Quite Take the Hat

In every set of Joker's Asylum, there are some good stories, and some mediocre ones. This happens to fall into the mediocre category. The main reason? Probably the art. Oh, and the fact that it follows the exact same storyline as half the other Joker's Asylums. Super-villain meets girl. Super-villain falls in love with girl. Super-villain wins girl's heart/captures girl. Something goes wrong. Super-villain goes back to being typically super-villain-y. Yep, that about sums it up.

The Good
The transition to picture book style was actually refreshing at times. And they did do a good job of keeping the Hatter in-character. Oh, and I actually liked the whole tea-obsession thing.

The Bad
The Mad Hatter's mouth was just...not really drawn so well. It looked like his teeth had been replaced with a horse's hoof. And that distracted from the whole rest of the story.

Verdict
Depends how much you like the Mad Hatter. If you're a fan, you should pick this up. If not, you might want to just leave it.

Other reviews for Joker's Asylum II: The Mad Hatter #1 - Tea Time

Three Cheers for Bill! 0

Now, a lot of the other reviewers have complained that they don't like the art. So, I'd better come clean here, and state for the record that Bill Sienkiewicz is my favorite comic artist of all time and I am a Lewis Carroll-phile. For those not accustomed to his style or enthralled with it as I am, this one shot will be an acquired taste, especially with Keith Giffen just elaborating on that insane over the top abstract look. The writing is top notch and compliments the art's elegant abstract st...

Review: Joker's Asylum II the Mad Hatter 0

The Mad Hatter tries to find his Alice as we get a deeper look into his psyche... and lots of tea drinking.  The Good I love the look into Mad Hatter's brain, so we can get a bit more of an understanding of what makes him tick, but I feel like it's been done before. As for the art, I loved the more detailed, almost Vertigo-esque quality of art, at times. With many aspects of this issue, the good mixed in with the bad. Artwise, I loved how Giffen & Sienkiewicz drew the Joker. It was simp...