Why save the Joker?

#1 Edited by Jeremy1989 (782 posts) - - Show Bio

No seriously, I meant this literally. Why is Batman wasting so much time and energy saving him. Besides, he's one of those character who don't want be saved. Yet Batman saves him.

There was quote Joker said after he shot two of Joker's henchmen.

"Those two were very bad men. The things they've done. You really don't want to know. They deserve death. JUST. LIKE. ME."

There was every opportunity for him to die. From falling to his death, to getting stab in the heart. It seem that Batman can't seem to let him go. Even if someone is trying to kill the Joker. No matter how many times that happens, Batman always saves him. ALWAYS. That what puzzles me the most. Why? He can't even let Joker kill his own self without his permission. It's like he has to stopping them no matter what, even if it means him risking his life to save Joker. Even Joker of all people is confused by this.

If anyone deserve to die, it's him.

Tell me what you think, because all this is beyond me.

#2 Posted by SupBatz (1850 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been said 100 times.

Plain and simple: Batman doesn't kill. Whether or not the Joker deserves it is irrelevant. It is not Bruce's responsibility to kill the Joker. He does not cross that line. Period. And that includes not allowing somebody - even somebody like the Joker - to die when he can possibly prevent it.

#3 Posted by Vitalius (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

Well The Joker is suposed to be the Anti-Batman and his action must always try to make Batman defying what Batman stands specially Batman´s number 1 rule to not kill any lifeform. New 52 has shown that both Batman and The Joker mention that they like having each other around, because The Joker is biggest and unpredictable challange and Batman never cross the line and Joker always tries to make it happening. Plus Batman and The Joker always sells, if anyone would kill him, The Joker would be revive soon. It is endless fight and makes hero look good if doesnt kill and tries to save any person even his worst person on earth like the joker.

#4 Posted by Darizuka (8 posts) - - Show Bio

The answer is quite simple

and it has nothing to do about morality and whatnot...

tis just that without the Joker; Batman would be bored and blow his brains out

just like God (to those whom are religious)

i mean if God was so omnipotent and powerful; why doesnt he just completely obliterate the Devil and its Legions... and just eradicate "Evil" ... simple? they are both two sides of a coin that cannot exist without the other.

So... its understandable that if Joker were to be killed... the one who would mourn the most is Batman; no matter how much he denies it.. he needs the Joker just like the Joker needs him.

so in a way; they are lovers in their own twisted; messed up way...

#5 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Bats Has a sick infatuation witH tHe Joker. It could be mainly due to tHe idea tHat tHey are Having a debate witH eacH otHer wHetHer good triumpHs over evil or not.

Or Bats is strapped in tHe closet and is secretly in love witH Joker.

-ABstract4$$#073-

#6 Edited by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know that line in Batman Begins where Ra's and Bats are about to crash into the tower, and Ra's says to Bats, "You won't kill me." To which Batman replies, "No. But I don't have to save you."

That line is bulls***.

Batman is more the 'with great power comes great responsibility' kind of guy. Granted, he doesn't actually HAVE great power, but he tries. Point is: If Batman see's someone in trouble, he takes it as his responsibility to save them. Good, bad, saint, murderer, doesn't matter. Batman saves the Joker not (just) because of the whole two sides, same coin deal, he saves him because that's what he'd do for anyone. Literally anyone. That's WHY he's a hero, not just a vigilante: Anyone else, hell, any of US would just let Joker fall and say either, "Screw it, he deserved it." or "There was nothing I could do." Batman doesn't make excuses. He doesn't discriminate.

If Joker falls, and Batman knows about it, he will do everything in his power to save him. Not out of some sick affection, not out of some fear of what he'd be without him, but because it's what Batman does. He's not the judge. He's not the jury, or the execution. It's not his responsibility to decide who lives and who dies. It's the Batman's responsibility to try and save as many lives as he can.

#7 Edited by DeviousBastard (136 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: I don't see it as heroic nor responsible and I think a vast majority of people would have the same view. Saving a guy you believe is going break out of prison and try to kill your family(Death In The Family, Killing Joke, and Death Of The Family) means there is something wrong with you. If Batman would let a dangerous villain die like in the Nolan films he would be legally in clear. If he had saved Ra's he would have came after his loved ones.

Btw, he wouldn't save anybody. Remember Darkseid?

#8 Posted by Jeremy1989 (782 posts) - - Show Bio

@darizuka said:

The answer is quite simple

and it has nothing to do about morality and whatnot...

tis just that without the Joker; Batman would be bored and blow his brains out

just like God (to those whom are religious)

i mean if God was so omnipotent and powerful; why doesnt he just completely obliterate the Devil and its Legions... and just eradicate "Evil" ... simple? they are both two sides of a coin that cannot exist without the other.

So... its understandable that if Joker were to be killed... the one who would mourn the most is Batman; no matter how much he denies it.. he needs the Joker just like the Joker needs him.

so in a way; they are lovers in their own twisted; messed up way...

Plus Batman vowed to rid the evils that once killed his parents. Instead what he did motivate, create the his evils.(Joker for example). He always want to save Joker but he never follows through. Thus starting this repeated cycle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.