Why Joker is Batman's most dangerous enemy

• 61 results
#51 Edited by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"The Joker is Batman's most dangerous enemy because he didn't kill him when he had the chance..which ultimately leads to Joker knowing more about him and being able to set something up."
Ya, like knowing who he is, not caring, planning to loose ahead of time, being able to escape a straight jacket/armored police truck/Arkham when he feels like it, lack of fear of other villains, unbridled narcissism, no known weaknesses, no confirmed past, controlled rage, masochistic tendancies, rarely taking dramatic moments seriously, trickery/acting/mental manipulation, taking advantage of Batman's moral obligations, & the fact that no one can be used as a hostage against him. I don't think he's afraid of Bane or Ra's Al Ghul, I think he just hasn't thought up the perfect way to smack some respect into them yet. I mean, Ghul's & Bane's narcissism is off the scale & it's hard to inject humility into that.
#52 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
likalaruku said:
"Vance Astro said:
"The Joker is Batman's most dangerous enemy because he didn't kill him when he had the chance..which ultimately leads to Joker knowing more about him and being able to set something up."
Ya, like knowing who he is, not caring, planning to loose ahead of time, being able to escape a straight jacket/armored police truck/Arkham when he feels like it, lack of fear of other villains, unbridled narcissism, no known weaknesses, no confirmed past, controlled rage, masochistic tendancies, rarely taking dramatic moments seriously, trickery/acting/mental manipulation, taking advantage of Batman's moral obligations, & the fact that no one can be used as a hostage against him. I don't think he's afraid of Bane or Ra's Al Ghul, I think he just hasn't thought up the perfect way to smack some respect into them yet. I mean, Ghul's & Bane's narcissism is off the scale & it's hard to inject humility into that."
Batman is more dangerous to himself than Joker is.If Batman had taken him out permanently with all the chances he had.There would be no Joker and Batman wouldn't have to worry about it.Any villain can do what Joker does.He tries to get in Batman's head by taking advantage of the supehero persona and what he will and will not do.If Batman was more like Iron Man and just tried to kill his villans...he wouldn't have to worry about the Joker.
#53 Edited by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

As his own greatest judge of himself, he is his own nightmare, plus he blames himself for the existance of his villains, feels responsibility for everything they do like a babysitter, questions if he does more bad than good, & is a bit of a depressing emo with lots of emotional baggage (like your average JRPG hero). If Batman ever killed, he would either lock himself in Arkham, commit suicide, retire & never leave Wayne Manor again, or turn himself in to the police. He would not be Batman anymore.

#54 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
likalaruku said:
"As his own greatest judge of himself, he is his own nightmare, plus he blames himself for the existance of his villains, feels responsibility for everything they do like a babysitter, questions if he does more bad than good, & is a bit of a depressing emo with lots of emotional baggage (like your average JRPG hero). If Batman ever killed, he would either lock himself in Arkham, commit suicide, retire & never leave Wayne Manor again, or turn himself in to the police. He would not be Batman anymore."
I agree.I just find it weird that out of all things superheroes are scared of..it's taking someone's life.
#55 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

If you read manga, you'd be used to it. Actualy, Batman is the ONLY American comic I can compare to manga. It has similarities with characters from Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, GetBackers, Yami no Matsuei, & Hunter x Hunter. That's why luring "otaku" into reading Batman is so easy.

Aside from that, it's just what sets Batman apart from the rest of American comics, makes it stand out, makes it sparkle like a Christmas lights turned on in July. A hero people can relate to & feel sorry for, because he's more restrained & realistic.

#56 Posted by Darth Balls (691 posts) - - Show Bio
Firestormnuclerman said:
"Darth Balls said:
"i disagree because whats the baddest thing jokers did in awhile.After a while he becomes predictable like he's not even a chalenge anymore like he was when he started.if anything he's so not batmans most dangerous enemy anymore batmans worst enemy is himself."
If he wasn't a challenge then how come he always manages to find a way to escape the inferior sorry excuse for a strong built asylum Arkam Asylum?
Ras Ah Ghul is somewhat predictable considering Batman know's his goal but that doesn't mean he's not a challenge. I find it hard to believe he isn't Batman's most dangerous enemey when he has nearly brought Batman over the edge to kill the piece of trash lowlife. Let me further add in a cruel practical joke he had to intervene to stop Superman from killing him when Lois was in no real danger. No person has put Gotham City through more hell than the Joker. He's commited every crime in the book so I find it very hard he's not Batman's most dangerous enemey when he makes a mockery of everything that Batman stands for."
dude that my point he has committed every crime in the book so he's gonna be more predictable.its not how far joker can bring batman it's how far batman let's him go before he has no alternative but to kill him.
#57 Edited by King Hyperion (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll tell you all why Joker is Batman's most dangerous enemy, now be careful because this revelation is not for the faint of heart and will be hard for a lot of people to take:

Alfred is and always has been The Joker. This is NOT an Elseworlds tale.

#58 Posted by biobroli (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Joker is the most intense for Batman because he is so hard to profile.  One crime is just a set up to a grander scheme.

There is a site that has the top 100 comic characters.  The polls just opened, so everything is really close right now.  I voted for Joker and Batamn, but they are rated around 8th and 14th place.  Hopefully some educated comic fans can get in there and help turn the tide for the greatest comic characters of all time!  Check it out.

#59 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
biobroli said:
"I think the Joker is the most intense for Batman because he is so hard to profile.  One crime is just a set up to a grander scheme.

There is a site that has the top 100 comic characters.  The polls just opened, so everything is really close right now.  I voted for Joker and Batamn, but they are rated around 8th and 14th place.  Hopefully some educated comic fans can get in there and help turn the tide for the greatest comic characters of all time!  Check it out.

"
Do you have a link?
#60 Posted by mary_goode_946 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is thread a thousand years old, but here is my take.

The reason why the Joker is so dangerous to Batman is threefold. First off, unlike most of the other villains, the Joker really doesn't want anything from Batman. The Riddler for example wants to outsmart him. Poison Ivy and to a certain degree Catwoman (before the antihero kick the writers got on) want to neutralize him with sex. The Penguin wants to out earn his wealth and dominate him (by now Bird Boy has figured out the Batwing and all the gadgets don't come cheap, else he'd be too dumb to tie his shoelaces let alone run a criminal empire, but I digress....) Mr. Freeze wants to make him pay for standing in the way of his obsession with his wife. And Scarecrow wants to scare him and ultimately control him.

The Joker doesn't have a real grand design. He doesn't care about money like the Penguin does. That is incidental. He can't use sex as a weapon against Batman and really has no dog in the fight in anybody else's sexual needs-mainly Harley is an outlet for his own, like scratching an itch. He's already a match for Bruce Wayne's wits.

The Joker is pure chaos and pretty much just wants to kill as many people as he can and he sees torture, suffering, and blood as fun. He is incapable of normal emotions like remorse or love. He is the type who would leave Gotham City a smoking pile of rubble if it meant he caused the death of millions and turned Gotham into what basically is his personal idea of a funhouse, not to mention he'd be able to sit on his throne as undisputed King of Khaos, not just the Clown Prince of Crime, using Batman's scorched skull as an ashtray. (As an aside, if anybody out there saw the movie Man of Steel, the Joker must have clapped and hooted at first, then pouted when it was over-somebody finally saw the world as he did, and the only crappy thing that ruined the show was yet another guy in a cape spoiling the fun.)

The other two things about the Joker that makes him so dangerous are that in many ways he is the best foil to Bruce Wayne/Batman, and he is completely unpredictable. Bruce Wayne has oceans of rage towards criminals borne out of a terrible trauma and nightly takes it out on the evildoers of the city-in a way it is a selfish way to fill a void, a need for revenge. Joker has oceans of homicidal rage that is directed at anyone he comes across boiling just below the surface, and he cannot control it or direct it. He does it because of bloodlust. Bruce uses his intellect to solve crimes, Joker uses his to cause them. Joker cannot choose not to kill (that went out the window the minute he was dropped in the chemical gumbo) but the Bat can.

#61 Edited by DeviousBastard (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Ra's is more dangerous than the Joker since he wants to kill off a large portion of the population.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.