Why is Joker so smart if he's crazy?

• 69 results
#1 Posted by Hondo_ (409 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't that an oxymoron?

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

He's super-sane. Look it up.

#3 Posted by Jean199999 (547 posts) - - Show Bio

Being mentally deranged does not always have an adverse effect on intelligence.

#4 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc has been giving inaccurate portrayals of mental illness. I have first hand experience of relatives with mental illness and the mentally ill have a hard time taking care of themselves and obviously won't be able to plan intricate crime schemes. All of the villains of Batman are not crazy but are super smart weirdos. The majority tends to demonize minority opinions by labelling them as crazy.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22495 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Dc has been giving inaccurate portrayals of mental illness. I have first hand experience of relatives with mental illness and the mentally ill have a hard time taking care of themselves and obviously won't be able to plan intricate crime schemes. All of the villains of Batman are not crazy but are super smart weirdos. The majority tends to demonize minority opinions by labelling them as crazy.

not all mental illness is the same...just because that's how you're relatives behave doesn't mean that's how all mentally ill people behave...sociopaths are labelled as being mentally ill and yet they can function just the same as anyone else can

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

#6 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4774 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:  No lie I was planning on going that route on this thread. There are mentally ill sociopaths that are pretty clever.
(+)
#7 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

Crazy?

#8 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many things labelled as mental illness bec. the drug industry wants to sell drugs so these days even people who like sex can be labelled as sick and sex addicts. As for sociopaths, these are also not mentally ill but basically ultra selfish people. In the animal kingdom, there are not many social animals and most animals are actually very selfish. In the human species, most are social and ethical but we have coevolved with some humans who are ultra selfish or even parasitic or have criminal tendencies who are also able to survive by taking advantage of the majority who are ethical. Even parasites are quite numerous in the animal kingdom. Before civilization, getting angry and killing others had survival advantages but are now discouraged and punished by most societies and these tendencies to anger and killing are also not mental illness. Lots of weird behavior is not mental illness but just frowned upon by the majority and labelled as crazy. The religious fanatics also like to label homosexuality as mental illness. Liberals can also call religious fanatics crazy. People with behavior we do not like such as sociopaths or serial killers are not really mentally ill. Real mental illness has physical problems in the brain making survival impossible or difficult.

#9 Posted by D3athstroke (3911 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is ball yellow when its round ?

#10 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the Joker has a master plan to make all round balls be yellow in color ?

#11 Posted by SuperStarKirby (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Insanity doesn't meant stupid. Not at all. And colonyofcells, I get where you're coming from, but that's a very limited view of mental illness.

Look up John Nash - a schizophrenic, but also a genius... just for example.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24882 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: Sociopaths are not simply selfish people, these are people who are mentally incapable of empathy or normal emotional connection, this is not drug company propaganda as there is no drug that can effectively treat sociopaths at this time. It is a valid mental illness according to pretty much everyone with a degree in the areas dealing with mental health.

#13 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as sociopaths are able to survive, i will not consider sociopaths mentally ill. Many people are able to survive just fine without the emotional baggage that the majority might have. If you look at most animals, majority of whom are non social and solitary, animals will just eat anybody for survival whether the prey are other species or same species and obviously predators don't care about their prey and have no sympathy for their prey. In social species, there will always be a minority who will take advantage of the weaknesses of the majority and this minority can be labelled as criminals or insane or both. All social animals have to find ways of dealing with cheaters and freeloaders. Our own body will kill cancer cells every day since these cancer cells are selfish and will kill the colony if the cheating cancer cells are allowed to live. We all have to eat at least plants to survive and I obviously have no empathy or emotional connection to the plants that I need to eat to survive so I could say I am a plant sociopath but I do have empathy and emotional connection to animals and the human species.

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

The ignorance in this thread in regards to mental illness is troublesome.

#15 Posted by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Agreed since there is such a broad range it could apply to makes it hard to say X is mentally cause he has these symptoms or Y is not cause he doesn't have these problems.

#16 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I am pretty sure the Joker has no schizophrenia since the main symptom of schizophrenia is not being able to distinguish between our internal thoughts and the external world so schizophrenics have difficulty taking care of themselves. If we think our dreams are reality, we would probably be screaming from fear every night and talking to imaginary people, which is pretty close to the problem that those with schizophrenia suffer from. The logic circuits of schizophrenics also tend not to work properly and so are incapable of planning genius crimes.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24882 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: So you're saying every psychologist and psychiatrist on earth is wrong and your definition of mental illness is the only right one. I see didn't know I was discussing this with the ultimate authority on the subject, clearly I should have realized that the whole of modern psychology pales when compared to the insight of random dude on the internet.

#18 Posted by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: Not true again look at john Nash or watch a beautiful mind he was able to take care of himself and was schizophrenic. I had a family member who was schizophrenic and nobody new till after she died and they cleaned out her belongings she owned her home and had worked the same job for over 40 years.

#19 Posted by ComicKID777 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Having a mental illness does not mean your dumb.

#20 Posted by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: You know being Condescending is just as bad as so you should rethink your comment cause at the same time you are just some dude on the internet.

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24882 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazinglover: true

#22 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no respect for scam psychologists who tend to invent more new mental sickness every year to make more money. I am aware psychiatrists treat mostly schizophrenia and the main mode of treatment is with anti-psychotic drugs which are effective for about 90% of the patients. 90% of schizophrenia is treatable with anti-psychotic drugs bec. it is a real physical problem in the brain. Psychologists are more similar to religious teachers who invent problems like sins in order to sell scam solutions. Psychologists are often helpful since many people are just lonely and just need somebody to talk to.

#23 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

Insanity does not effect intelligence in the least. It can impede how successful any given scheme will be, but insanity doesn't make you smarter or stupider.

#24 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

In schizophrenia, you can do brain scans of people before adolescence or during adolescence when the disease usually becomes obvious and you can plainly see that the brains of schizophrenics are wired differently. Schizophrenia can now also be detected in the genes and in the future, we should be able to predict who will get the disease as the brain develops from childhood to adolescence. I would not diagnose anybody as insane or crazy unless the lab tests say so. Psychiatrists write prescriptions to treat real diseases whereas psyhologists tend to invent useless labels. I am pretty sure none of Batman villains are really mentally ill even though their personalities are all very strange.

#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (15251 posts) - - Show Bio

He's the Goddamn Joker.

#26 Edited by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

He's crazy because he is smart.

#27 Posted by andywattbulb (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells:

No one knows for sure if schizophrenia is genetic. There are still many theories about what causes schizophrenia and not one theory has been proven as the cause.

#28 Posted by Loki9876 (3007 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of crazy persons are exceptionally smart.

#29 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

Psychology he is of person no one knows including us who second persona took over. There no traces of whom he was before. He killed his original gang and they are likely very few have even little clue of who he was before. We only have theories which can possibly be fake.

There are two statements that can possibly be great hint. The speech everything is a joke speech from the Killing Joke arc and the line “If you have to explain a joke than there is no joke."

#30 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of super smart people have weird ideas which the majority tend to easily mislabel or demonize as crazy but super smart people are mostly not mentally ill. Most of the mentally ill have problems in the brain that usually means they are not geniuses and many can't take care of themselves and many do not live long bec. the will to live programming is also faulty.

#31 Posted by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

It's even worst when you consider just how many forms mental illness or infirmity can take, as well as the myriad of causes, symptoms, etc. I don't care if you want to call psychology a soft science, but honesty people are complex and thus our maladies are also bound to be complex.

#32 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is not crazy and he just has desires which injure or kill other people. Joker has irrational desires and is quite motivated same as other humans since all human desires are irrational. Some human desires just seem to make more sense bec. it is shared by the majority but all human desires are totally irrational. If you compare different cultures at present and from history, it becomes very obvious that all human desires and rules are totally irrational. If you look at paleontology and microbiology, it becomes pretty obvious that all life is irrational and lots of killings are always going on.

#33 Posted by Ultimate_Riddler (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: So everyone and everything is mad one way or the other? You ironically sound just as crazy as Joker.

#34 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone is irrational but not everyone has mental illness. Joker does not have mental illness but both Joker and Batman are irrational and both are also fanatical.

#35 Posted by Ultimate_Riddler (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Everyone is irrational but not everyone has mental illness. Joker does not have mental illness but both Joker and Batman are irrational and both are also fanatical.

I can at least agree with this part to some extent. Out of curiosity, do you think villains like Two-Face, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and others are mentally ill or "just irrational"?

#36 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Two-Face just has an interesting method for making decisions. Most americans are ignorant and brainwashed and make decisions of worse quality as the coin of Two Face since the coin is probably right half of the time which cannot be said of brainwashed people. Riddler is just addicted to riddles which is a harmless addiction compared to addictions to smoking, alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription drugs, animal products, overpopulation, religions, etc. Scarecrow has a dangerous weapon which is nothing compared to people who collect tons of firearms. Poison Ivy is just an environmentalist who believes the ends justifies the means and she might be right. Joker and Batman seem to share a great mutual love and we all know the greatest is love.

#37 Posted by sinestro_GL (3127 posts) - - Show Bio

Genius often borders insanity

#38 Posted by Stuka69 (117 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

If you look at paleontology and microbiology, it becomes pretty obvious that all life is irrational and lots of killings are always going on.

So, what did you find out from Joker`s fossil? Or his microbiology? And BTW, Dude, I am sure you are one those rare people that have a difficult life because no one can understand your intelligence...or pain. I am really sorry about the timid views of our time regarding psychiatry and psychology, hang in there, kiddo!

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33084 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:
#40 Posted by Joygirl (19522 posts) - - Show Bio

Insanity and intellect are in no way mutually exclusive. In fact, particularly superb levels of intelligence seems to be a cause of madness -- look at Edgar Allan Poe, or Mozart. They were masters of their art, and the way their art caused them to view the world drove them insane. Again, John Nash was a brilliant mathematician who also happened to be insane. Just because they can take basic care of themselves doesn't make them sane... because they weren't.

#41 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

It makes my brain hurt.

#42 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Once some people snap and can no longer take care of themselves or the will to live programming in the brain is damaged for whatever reasons, these people driven insane will not be able to live longer anymore and these are the real mentally ill. People can be driven mentally ill by genetic reasons or nutritional deficiencies such as vitamin b12 deficiency, some are caused by painful tragedies, many cases are caused by poverty which is quite rampant in these dark ages. Since the majority share the irrational desire to live, suicidal ones are usually diagnosed as mentally ill. None of the batman villains are mentally ill and they are just weird and evil. Those lacking in social skills traced to genes are also usually labelled sick since we are a social species altho these solitary ones might actually live well if they can manage to live alone somewhere since most species are quite solitary, practice no ethics at all, just eat whatever and have no neighbors to worry about.

#43 Posted by Ultimate_Riddler (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Once some people snap and can no longer take care of themselves or the will to live programming in the brain is damaged for whatever reasons, these people driven insane will not be able to live longer anymore and these are the real mentally ill. People can be driven mentally ill by genetic reasons or nutritional deficiencies such as vitamin b12 deficiency, some are caused by painful tragedies, many cases are caused by poverty which is quite rampant in these dark ages. Since the majority share the irrational desire to live, suicidal ones are usually diagnosed as mentally ill. None of the batman villains are mentally ill and they are just weird and evil. Those lacking in social skills traced to genes are also usually labelled sick since we are a social species altho these solitary ones might actually live well if they can manage to live alone somewhere since most species are quite solitary, practice no ethics at all, just eat whatever and have no neighbors to worry about.

Why is the desire to live irrational?

#44 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Both Joker and Batman obviously have strong desires and desires are really neither good or bad and all these desires have the same origins in the genes so they are all basically the same. All desires can be viewed as irrational since they just exist with no rhyme or reason or quite random. All desires can also be viewed as rational in the sense that they are all caused by somethings and it is all determined by causes, and one thing just follows after another in a fixed and logical and predictable manner.

#45 Posted by Stuka69 (117 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

None of the batman villains are mentally ill and they are just weird and evil.

#46 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (299 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: Are you implying the desire to live is irrational, the entire RATIONAL point of the desire to live is so you don't just go and get yourself killed it gives a sense of self preservation. Then from that these ALIVE creatures can secure a mate who also is ALIVE and have kids who LIVE. Got it

#47 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

THE JOKER IS NOT INSANE!!!!!

Being different dont mean you are insane.

#48 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is obviously addicted to behavior which causes many deaths and Batman is also addicted to fanatical behavior and most humans are addicted to life, mates and children which is causing the overpopulation problem since we don't have any check on population growth for many decades already. The uncontrolled population growth will surely cause the early extinction of the human species so the addiction to overpopulation is very serious. Maybe the Joker might actually be sane and is just trying to solve the overpopulation problem in Gotham City and maybe Batman is the real villain since Batman is helping cause overpopulation in Gotham City ?

#49 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

As I just told CM earlier, the criminals to really fear are the ones who know exactly what they are doing and are okay with it. Someone on a psychotic break isn't very aware of their surroundings, but The Joker has that love for chaos in a way only a sane person can love something. He obsessively loves destroying anything and especially anything that has a place in Batman's heart.

#50 Posted by TDK_1997 (14718 posts) - - Show Bio

Not every crazy person is stupid.And that's just his thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.