Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4237 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Why does New 52 Joker get so much hate?

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

While I thought Snyder's rendition was brilliant and a genuinely great take on a classic character, I've noticed that a lot of bloggers, artists and commentators do not share my view. In fact, they hate this version of Joker, and I have to wonder what some of the viners think about this incarnation. Do you like it? Hate it? Or feel it is just okay?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By The Lobster

While I thought Snyder's rendition was brilliant and a genuinely great take on a classic character, I've noticed that a lot of bloggers, artists and commentators do not share my view. In fact, they hate this version of Joker, and I have to wonder what some of the viners think about this incarnation. Do you like it? Hate it? Or feel it is just okay?

I love it, in fact I'd like to see some of these bloggers and commentator cause I was under the impression that his Joker was universally praised. Although I might be able to see how the recent development that happened in Batman 37, might be controversial. Personally I love the idea of Joker being some sort of supernatural force of pure evil. It makes sense and adds a whole new layer of scary to the character. In fact Snyder's version of the character is probably the scariest version of the character yet. Although that's also in part to Greg Capullo's fantastic artwork....just look at this image and try not to have it send shivers down your spine....

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
    Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well I love new52 joker

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oh please watch he be clay face or the scarecrow

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh please watch he be clay face or the scarecrow

I'm willing to bet money that it's not. Scott Snyder is smarter than that.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_lobster_: Sorry for the late reply. I agree with you on the Joker's creepy appearance on those pictures as it was well done and definitely creepy, but yet I do not believe he is a supernatural force or demon. In my opinion Joker is doing what he does best: making his victims question their grip on reality. He's messing with Gordon's mind by possibly doctoring old photographs or finding a way to alter his perception through enhanced toxins. Joker is not a demon, he's a performer making his "audience" see that life is nothing more than a joke that all ends with the same punchline...death.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4
    deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because dad just isn't funny anymore

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_lobster_: Sorry for the late reply. I agree with you on the Joker's creepy appearance on those pictures as it was well done and definitely creepy, but yet I do not believe he is a supernatural force or demon. In my opinion Joker is doing what he does best: making his victims question their grip on reality. He's messing with Gordon's mind by possibly doctoring old photographs or finding a way to alter his perception through enhanced toxins. Joker is not a demon, he's a performer making his "audience" see that life is nothing more than a joke that all ends with the same punchline...death.

I'd be fine if he does end up being some-kind of immortal demonic pale-man of legend. It definitely makes Joker twice as scary. Joker was always a metaphorical force of nature, when he was a man. While Batman was representative of all the good mankind could do, Joker was representative of all the bad. It makes sense. Two sides of the same coin. All that jazz.

But now he could quite LITERALLY be a force of nature and that is horrific if you really sit down and think about it. To fight him is to fight the unexplained. To doubt him is to give him strength and an advantage but to accept him is to let him win. Now Batman is representative of mankind and it's fight to constantly find meaning and even fight against the unexplainable and the unknown. Joker is that unexplainable force, he's everything that mankind seeks to know but can't comprehend. That point was especially driven home in the back-up stories. Where the Doctor thinks she understands that which hasn't been understood....only to find out that there is no way of fully knowing the unexplainable. That the unexplainable will always find a way to continue being, an unexplainable.

I like what Scott Snyder is doing, making Joker a literal force of nature. He's basically cranked the dial up to an 11.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Want the honest reason? "New 52".

CRAZYMADMAN90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest , I've never been a big fan of Batman but Joker has always been my favorite villain .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.