Who thinks Joker should have had a stand-in cameo in TDKR?

#1 Edited by Tyrus (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw the movie - it was fantastic. In one of the scenes, when Bane releases the prisoners (including Arkham), they could have shown a shot from behind of the Joker - obviously played by a stand in, and all you would be able to see is his crazy green hair - now THAT or ANY scene would have been awesome... But after Ledger's death, Chris Nolan wanted to move on and he mentioned himself that he was done with Joker... Come on - wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever?

#2 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (457 posts) - - Show Bio

It would have been an insult to Ledger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

#3 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

not a stand in cameo but maybe a reference to something he did later

#4 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Glad he didn't.

#5 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

@Uncanny_Doom said:

It would have been an insult to Ledger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

Ledger was just an actor. He didn't own the role of The Joker and other actors can play the role.

#6 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

no, i thinks its better that he didnt have a cameo. joker would have been in arkham anyway and bane freed the prisoners in blackgate. at least scarecrow made a cameo

#7 Posted by nickzambuto (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tyrus said:

I just saw the movie - it was fantastic. In one of the scenes, when Bane releases the prisoners (including Arkham), they could have shown a shot from behind of the Joker - obviously played by a stand in, and all you would be able to see is his crazy green hair - now THAT or ANY scene would have been awesome... But after Ledger's death, Chris Nolan wanted to move on and he mentioned himself that he was done with Joker... Come on - wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever?

Yeah, thanks for the spoiler warning.

Online
#8 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

no one. really man get over yourself and use your brain\

#9 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (457 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

It would have been an insult to Ledger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

Ledger was just an actor. He didn't own the role of The Joker and other actors can play the role.

Of course they can. However, the biggest reason behind the success of this franchise was Heath Ledger's performance as Joker drawing in and captivating audiences. It's disrespectful, whether intentional or not, to try to replace his character in effort to get a cheap thrill when everyone would know it's not "really" Joker.

#10 Posted by Joygirl (19972 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan confirmed that Joker died in Arkham. No chance of cameo.

#11 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

It would have been an insult to Ledger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

Ledger was just an actor. He didn't own the role of The Joker and other actors can play the role.

anyone can play the joker in the next triology but Ledger did own the Joker of the Nolanverse...

#12 Posted by SupBatz (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably best thatthere was no appearance by the Joker. It justwouldn't have fit in with the tone of the movie as it was going

On top of that, the Joker is the kind of villain who likes to make a big splash. To show him being let loose on the streets and then not showing him doing anything would be imensely out of character.

#13 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Nolan confirmed that Joker died in Arkham. No chance of cameo.

wait, what? when did this happen?

#14 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

A passing reference or mention to him would have been nice, but it's probably better they just left him alone.

#15 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Joygirl said:

Nolan confirmed that Joker died in Arkham. No chance of cameo.

wait, what? when did this happen?

yeah when did he confirm that?

#16 Edited by TheJokerha (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the fact that he was not just one of the mob or common herd of villains running around. On more than one occasion Joker has sat something out or laid low till the rabble settled down and then made a big entrance.There have been occasional stories where he joins in a mass effort but he is usually in charge or one of the leaders. He even commented to Batman once about the occasional multi-villian team ups. "Oh, those things never work. To many big guns trying to prove their top dog" I'm sure he would have enjoyed the chaos but would have seen just being a member of a riot as beneath him.

But I've not seen anything about Nolan saying he died in Arkham. And if it not in the film it didn't happen any way no matter what Nolan says.

I like to think he escaped and moved on. Once Batman retired Gotham lost it appeal for Joker. The film version was an international criminal before he ever heard of Batman. There is nothing in the movie to support or deny it so its as valid an explanation as any.

#17 Posted by Joygirl (19972 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not sure when/where he said it, could have been hearsay. But that's what I heard when people were like "MOOOOAR JOKEEER" he was all "um, no, no more Joker, ever".

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

No....Why would they do that?

#19 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

It wouldn't be needed.

#20 Edited by TheJokerha (161 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: I'm sure he just meant "no more Joker ever" in his movie. Since it was Nolan's last Batman film, his decision doesn't really effect anything Joker related.

#21 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tyrus: my thought is had Heath Ledger been a live the Joker would have been the judge at the trial of the rich not scarecrow.

#22 Posted by TheJokerha (161 posts) - - Show Bio

@KenTheProfile:THAT"S an interesting idea. But I am glad they didn't try to get someone else to play him for this film.

#23 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheJokerha: your spot on with both

#24 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

It would have been an insult to Ledger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

Ledger was just an actor. He didn't own the role of The Joker and other actors can play the role.

You speak the truth.

#25 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam: yeah that may be true in a way but adding in the fact that the man died and he did own the Joker as afar as Nolan and his films ( and in my view) goes he does own the role. it would have been insulting because it adds nothing to the film if the part is just a cameo, it saying in effect that what a few people wanted in a film matters more the a mans death. maybe if it was a big role i be more with you thinking.

#26 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAvenger: no. Heath Ledger was a human being. you most likly did not mean it as a insult but it comes of that way.

#27 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@KenTheProfile said:

@AweSam: yeah that may be true in a way but adding in the fact that the man died and he did own the Joker as afar as Nolan and his films ( and in my view) goes he does own the role. it would have been insulting because it adds nothing to the film if the part is just a cameo, it saying in effect that what a few people wanted in a film matters more the a mans death. maybe if it was a big role i be more with you thinking.

I agree giving Joker some small cameo is dumb, but Nolan should be able to give the role to anyone since it's his movie.

#28 Posted by Tyrus (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

If Heath Ledger was alive my initial thought was, as mentioned above, that he'd play the judge, not Scarecrow - but I think because his performance was overwhelmingly popular, Chris Nolan would of given him a mildly bigger role than just a cameo... But obviously he couldn't make him the main villain - Nolan for a fact doesn't like to look back and re-use characters or anything.

#29 Posted by andywattbulb (20 posts) - - Show Bio

A little mention maybe? Like "Joker escaped and took a holiday to the Easter islands." or something?

#30 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

No, that would be terrible.

@KenTheProfile said:

@CrimsonAvenger: no. Heath Ledger was a human being. you most likly did not mean it as a insult but it comes of that way.

In what way did CrimsonAvenger's post come off as an insult?

#31 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chronus: Heath ledger was just an actor. it seemed to me to be like saying that the charecter of the Joker was so important as to override any possible insult to a person because who cares there just an actor. i also said it was most likely not meant to sound like that, i was just the way i read it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.