Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4240 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Who thinks Joker should have had a stand-in cameo in TDKR?

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tyrus

I just saw the movie - it was fantastic. In one of the scenes, when Bane releases the prisoners (including Arkham), they could have shown a shot from behind of the Joker - obviously played by a stand in, and all you would be able to see is his crazy green hair - now THAT or ANY scene would have been awesome... But after Ledger's death, Chris Nolan wanted to move on and he mentioned himself that he was done with Joker... Come on - wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever?

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

It would have been an insult to Ledger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tyler Starke

not a stand in cameo but maybe a reference to something he did later

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JSH92

Nope. Glad he didn't.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@Uncanny_Doom said:

It would have been an insult toLedger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

Ledger was just an actor. He didn't own the role of The Joker and other actors can play the role.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ratman19

no, i thinks its better that he didnt have a cameo. joker would have been in arkham anyway and bane freed the prisoners in blackgate. at least scarecrow made a cameo

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By renamed040924

@Tyrus said:

I just saw the movie - it was fantastic. In one of the scenes, when Bane releases the prisoners (including Arkham), they could have shown a shot from behind of the Joker - obviously played by a stand in, and all you would be able to see is his crazy green hair - now THAT or ANY scene would have been awesome... But after Ledger's death, Chris Nolan wanted to move on and he mentioned himself that he was done with Joker... Come on - wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever?

Yeah, thanks for the spoiler warning.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dhor

no one. really man get over yourself and use your brain\

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

It would have been an insult toLedger, fans of him, and Joker itself to force a cameo like that.

Ledger was just an actor. He didn't own the role of The Joker and other actors can play the role.

Of course they can. However, the biggest reason behind the success of this franchise was Heath Ledger's performance as Joker drawing in and captivating audiences. It's disrespectful, whether intentional or not, to try to replace his character in effort to get a cheap thrill when everyone would know it's not "really" Joker.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By Joygirl

Nolan confirmed that Joker died in Arkham. No chance of cameo.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

anyone can play the joker in the next triology but Ledger did own the Joker of the Nolanverse...

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By SupBatz

Probably best thatthere was no appearance by the Joker. It justwouldn't have fit in with the tone of the movie as it was going

On top of that, the Joker is the kind of villain who likes to make a big splash. To show him being let loose on the streets and then not showing him doing anything would be imensely out of character.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Joygirl said:

wait, what? when did this happen?

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By YMCMB

A passing reference or mention to him would have been nice, but it's probably better they just left him alone.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tyler Starke

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Joygirl said:

wait, what? when did this happen?

yeah when did he confirm that?

TheJokerha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheJokerha

I like the fact that he was not just one of the mob or common herd of villains running around. On more than one occasion Joker has sat something out or laid low till the rabble settled down and then made a big entrance.There have been occasional stories where he joins in a mass effort but he is usually in charge or one of the leaders. He even commented to Batman once about the occasional multi-villian team ups. "Oh, those things never work. To many big guns trying to prove their top dog" I'm sure he would have enjoyed the chaos but would have seen just being a member of a riot as beneath him.

But I've not seen anything about Nolan saying he died in Arkham. And if it not in the film it didn't happen any way no matter what Nolan says.

I like to think he escaped and moved on. Once Batman retired Gotham lost it appeal for Joker. The film version was an international criminal before he ever heard of Batman. There is nothing in the movie to support or deny it so its as valid an explanation as any.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By Joygirl

I am not sure when/where he said it, could have been hearsay. But that's what I heard when people were like "MOOOOAR JOKEEER" he was all "um, no, no more Joker, ever".

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TDK_1997

No....Why would they do that?

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Madame_Mist

It wouldn't be needed.

TheJokerha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheJokerha

@Joygirl: I'm sure he just meant "no more Joker ever" in his movie. Since it was Nolan's last Batman film, his decision doesn't really effect anything Joker related.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KenTheProfile

@Tyrus: my thought is had Heath Ledger been a live the Joker would have been the judge at the trial of the rich not scarecrow.

TheJokerha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheJokerha

@KenTheProfile:THAT"S an interesting idea. But I am glad they didn't try to get someone else to play him for this film.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KenTheProfile

@TheJokerha: your spot on with both

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AweSam

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Uncanny_Doom said:

You speak the truth.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KenTheProfile

@AweSam: yeah that may be true in a way but adding in the fact that the man died and he did own the Joker as afar as Nolan and his films ( and in my view) goes he does own the role. it would have been insulting because it adds nothing to the film if the part is just a cameo, it saying in effect that what a few people wanted in a film matters more the a mans death. maybe if it was a big role i be more with you thinking.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KenTheProfile

@CrimsonAvenger: no. Heath Ledger was a human being. you most likly did not mean it as a insult but it comes of that way.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AweSam

@KenTheProfile said:

@AweSam: yeah that may be true in a way but adding in the fact that the man died and he did own the Joker as afar as Nolan and his films ( and in my view) goes he does own the role. it would have been insulting because it adds nothing to the film if the part is just a cameo, it saying in effect that what a few people wanted in a film matters more the a mans death. maybe if it was a big role i be more with you thinking.

I agree giving Joker some small cameo is dumb, but Nolan should be able to give the role to anyone since it's his movie.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tyrus

If Heath Ledger was alive my initial thought was, as mentioned above, that he'd play the judge, not Scarecrow - but I think because his performance was overwhelmingly popular, Chris Nolan would of given him a mildly bigger role than just a cameo... But obviously he couldn't make him the main villain - Nolan for a fact doesn't like to look back and re-use characters or anything.

andywattbulb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By andywattbulb

A little mention maybe? Like "Joker escaped and took a holiday to the Easter islands." or something?

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chronus

No, that would be terrible.

@KenTheProfile said:

@CrimsonAvenger: no. Heath Ledger was a human being. you most likly did not mean it as a insult but it comes of that way.

In what way did CrimsonAvenger's post come off as an insult?

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KenTheProfile

@Chronus: Heath ledger was just an actor. it seemed to me to be like saying that the charecter of the Joker was so important as to override any possible insult to a person because who cares there just an actor. i also said it was most likely not meant to sound like that, i was just the way i read it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.